Cooking Friends
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Cooking Friends

Friends sharing recipes, cooking techniques & menu ideas in a friendly atmosphere.

You are not connected. Please login or register

July, 2022 ~ ~ It's getting hot (but August will be hotter.......)

+2
Cookin Lore
bethk
6 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Go down  Message [Page 4 of 7]

bethk

bethk
Admin

JanaAZ wrote:On top of all the cleaning and disinfecting we had to do, I had some veggies in the fridge that I needed to use. I didn’t have creme fraiche so I made some. Our dinner yesterday was homemade pasta with asparagus, English peas and snow peas sautéed in butter and with a sauce of creme fraiche and a lot of parmegano reggiano.  We really enjoyed it and shockingly Steve asked me if HE could have the leftovers. That never happens.

You should call this something like 'Springtime On A Plate' Pasta!

How did you make creme fraiche? I buy it occasionally but it's quite pricey. It would be nice to have an alternative.

UNCLE JIMMY likes this post

NormM

NormM

I made my own birthday cake from scratch today. It is called a Dark Chocolate Cherry cake.July, 2022 ~ ~ It's getting hot (but August will be hotter.......) - Page 4 Img_0021

bethk and UNCLE JIMMY like this post

http://r2j1cp@gmail.com

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

I had shrimp with horse radish and beets to dip into. Tomato salad, and one slice of
sourdough bread. Salt free pretzel for dessert.

bethk likes this post

bethk

bethk
Admin

No cooking tonight ~ we're going out with neighbor Jim!

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Tonight was fillet steak, with rice. A bowl of pea soup she found in the freezer.

bethk likes this post

Cookin Lore

No cooking here again either! Made myself a BLT when I came home from my shift at 1:30, was going to do some chicken and rice for supper. Then son called and reminded me that I was going to come to his place to pick black raspberries, and they would order pizza. So, I went about 4:00 when it had cooled down a bit. Raspberries were pretty well done, dried up because we have not had any rain lately, but the takeout pizza was good! LOL

I was hoping to make a bit of jam from berries, but next year! Chicken tomorrow!

bethk

bethk
Admin

A chicken breast got cut into 'fingers' and then breaded with panko.....sat, uncovered, in the refrigerator for a couple hours to set the coating. It worked! None fell off during frying.

July, 2022 ~ ~ It's getting hot (but August will be hotter.......) - Page 4 07_17_13

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

We had fried burger patties, with carrot strips and mushrooms in a brown gravy, and mashed potatoes. A chocolate cookie for dessert.

bethk likes this post

bethk

bethk
Admin

From Lore:

"Dinner Tonight. Air fried chicken thighs, stir fried rice with yellow pepper, mushrooms and onions. Yumm!"

July, 2022 ~ ~ It's getting hot (but August will be hotter.......) - Page 4 07_17_14

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Tin a wants to make No Stuff Cabbage Rolls Cabbages. I am not a casserole type person, but I will eat it if she uses diced tomatoes instead of tomato soup.

bethk likes this post

NormM

NormM

I tried a new and different way to cook ribs. They were smoked for a while then braised until falling off the bone. Not the way i would normally do them but they were very different and very good.The recipe said they were Asian style.July, 2022 ~ ~ It's getting hot (but August will be hotter.......) - Page 4 Img_0022
July, 2022 ~ ~ It's getting hot (but August will be hotter.......) - Page 4 Img_0023

Cookin Lore

I love, love, love ribs, but am often disappointed in the flavour of bbq sauce. Don't like molasses Yours look awesome!

bethk likes this post

Cookin Lore

I made some stir fried mushrooms, onion, red pepper, garlic and then added large shrimp, finished with cream I think Ihat I have figured out a portion for me. I actually measured the veggies, had not quite three cups, and ten very large shrimp. THen I boiled some pasta which was probably not worth it, I hade some bowties which were black and white, with squid ink. Looked nice, but no flavour in the pasta. Sending a picture to Beth. Thanks, always, Beth!

bethk likes this post

bethk

bethk
Admin

I went to lunch with Lyn today so I really wasn't interested in making/eating supper. So, I settled on a simple burger with chips. I figured if HE wanted more he could check out the refrigerator and pantry. He really was fine with just the burger.....

July, 2022 ~ ~ It's getting hot (but August will be hotter.......) - Page 4 07_18_12

UNCLE JIMMY and Imelda HL like this post

bethk

bethk
Admin

Cookin Lore wrote:I made some stir fried mushrooms, onion, red pepper, garlic and then added large shrimp, finished with cream   I think Ihat  I have figured out a portion for me.  I actually measured the veggies, had not quite three cups, and ten very large shrimp.   THen I boiled some pasta which was probably not worth it, I hade some bowties  which were black and white, with squid ink.  Looked nice, but no flavour in the pasta. Sending a picture to Beth.  Thanks, always, Beth!

It's almost an hour since you posted, Lore ~ ~ double check for your email, please.

(nothing in my in box......)

NormM

NormM

Cookin Lore wrote:I love, love, love ribs, but am often disappointed in the flavour of bbq sauce.  Don't like molasses  Yours look awesome!

Thank you Lore. A lot of people think that you make BBQ by pouring sauce over it. I consider BBQ as a cooking process and sauce is used sparingly if at all. As for molasses, there are two kinds. The kind I like is unsulphered. It is milder and sweeter that the other kind. The BBQ sauce in this recipe was just red pepper jelly and cider vinegar.

The braising liquid which you see in the pan with the ribs is hoisin sauce, soy sauce, orange juice, brown sugar, rice wine vinegar, apple juice, garlic, fresh ginger root, green onions, and cayenne powder

Cookin Lore

NormM wrote:
Cookin Lore wrote:I love, love, love ribs, but am often disappointed in the flavour of bbq sauce.  Don't like molasses  Yours look awesome!

Thank you Lore.  A lot of people think that you make BBQ by pouring sauce over it.  I consider BBQ as a cooking process and sauce is used sparingly if at all.  As for molasses, there are two kinds.  The kind I like is unsulphered.  It is milder and sweeter that the other kind.  The BBQ sauce in this recipe was just red pepper jelly and cider vinegar.  

The braising liquid which you see in the pan with the ribs is  hoisin sauce, soy sauce, orange juice, brown sugar, rice wine vinegar, apple juice, garlic, fresh ginger root, green onions, and cayenne powder

When I mentioned BBQ for ribs, I meant the bottled sauce which I never buy. I do make ribs different ways, but do love them pretty plain from the grill also.

JanaAZ

bethk wrote:
JanaAZ wrote:On top of all the cleaning and disinfecting we had to do, I had some veggies in the fridge that I needed to use. I didn’t have creme fraiche so I made some. Our dinner yesterday was homemade pasta with asparagus, English peas and snow peas sautéed in butter and with a sauce of creme fraiche and a lot of parmegano reggiano.  We really enjoyed it and shockingly Steve asked me if HE could have the leftovers. That never happens.

You should call this something like 'Springtime On A Plate' Pasta!

How did you make creme fraiche?  I buy it occasionally but it's quite pricey.  It would be nice to have an alternative.

It’s real easy to make. 1 cup heavy cream and 1 tbsp buttermilk. Stir together and put in a nonreactive container. I use a canning jar. Put it on thr counter for up to 24 hours. It was hot here so mine took about 12 hours to thicken. Once thickened, Keep it refrigerated or it will spoil

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

NormM wrote:

Thank you Lore.  A lot of people think that you make BBQ by pouring sauce over it.  I consider BBQ as a cooking process and sauce is used sparingly if at all.  As for molasses, there are two kinds.  The kind I like is unsulphered.  It is milder and sweeter that the other kind.  The BBQ sauce in this recipe was just red pepper jelly and cider vinegar.  

The braising liquid which you see in the pan with the ribs is  hoisin sauce, soy sauce, orange juice, brown sugar, rice wine vinegar, apple juice, garlic, fresh ginger root, green onions, and cayenne powder

My son is so fussy when it comes to BBQ Anything. We have to be careful that his does not touch any sauce or sweet spice, unless it is just salt and pepper. AMAZINGLY!!! he got a taste of a dry rub from 'Mad Hunky' All purpose dry Rub. And it was like we had to perform an Amazement dance
of the tiki god of taste. The only thing is, he won't try it on anything but that dry rub seasoning on ribs. Period......

bethk likes this post

bethk

bethk
Admin

From Lore:

"Dinner Last night. Stir fry of mushrooms, onion, red pepper and jumbo shrimp on bow tie pasta with squid ink finished with cream. The pasta looked interesting, but there did not seem to be any flavour from the squid ink."

July, 2022 ~ ~ It's getting hot (but August will be hotter.......) - Page 4 07_18_13

bethk

bethk
Admin

It's a shame it didn't have flavor because it photographed beautifully!

bethk

bethk
Admin

I played 'I-spy' in the freezer again.....

Chicken wings won!

Buffalo Chicken Wings with air fried potato wedges & broccoli ~ that's what was for supper tonight.

July, 2022 ~ ~ It's getting hot (but August will be hotter.......) - Page 4 07_19_14

Cookin Lore

bethk wrote:It's a shame it didn't have flavor because it photographed beautifully!

THanks. Yes, I will probably use it again when I want something for effect!

bethk likes this post

bethk

bethk
Admin

Applebee's Oriental Chicken Salad is one of my favorites ~ and it's one I make at home. I had some leftover chicken fingers from the other night so that's what made me think of the salad for supper. I did go and pick up a couple extra fried chicken fingers for Dane since I only had 3 small homemade ones ~ but the rest of the salad was homemade, including the dressing.

I even had some 'dinner rolls' that I thawed & toasted in the toaster oven to complete my meal.

July, 2022 ~ ~ It's getting hot (but August will be hotter.......) - Page 4 07_20_16

Cookin Lore

Looks great!

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 4 of 7]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum