Cooking Friends
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Cooking Friends

Friends sharing recipes, cooking techniques & menu ideas in a friendly atmosphere.

You are not connected. Please login or register

July, 2022 ~ ~ It's getting hot (but August will be hotter.......)

+2
Cookin Lore
bethk
6 posters

Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 7]

bethk

bethk
Admin

I need to go back and review some ideas from 2021, 2020 and 2019.......

Nothing sounds good to me lately.

Or maybe I'm just stuck in this cooking funk........

UNCLE JIMMY likes this post

Cookin Lore

Happy Canada Day from me, here to the North of you! A little Canada Day story here (no food involved) from my volunteering job. You may not be aware, but we have a one dollar coin, called a LOONIE because it has a picture of a loon on it. We also have a two dollar coin, called a TOONIE. Five years ago, for Canada Day, the store had a LOONIE sale in honour of the Looney's 30th anniversary, all clothing, tops, bottoms, dresses suits etc., were on sale for a looney! The following year they had a toonie sale. Both were very successful. Then, Covid hit, so this year things are better, so we had a TOONIE sale yesterday.

I was on cash. there are two registers, we each had a packer to our left, and another person to the right who organized the items, counted, kept the lineup organized etc. It was fun, exhausting and very, very busy. We had people in the aisles trying on clothes (over what they had on) For all the clothing on sale we had one particular key set up on the register, so that all we had to do was the person on my right counted the items, I would have to key in #of items, clothing@$2.

We have one customer who comes in regularly to purchase very discounted items that she ships to family in The Philippines. Her total was almost $100. In my 3 hour shift apparently we rang up $2600. That means that I must have handled an average of 7 items per minute.as I had to pick the items up from the right side of the register, move it to the left, record the sale. No wonder I was exhausted. The packers just had clear garbage bags to throw things in.

I am impressed with how calm and pleasant people were. Grandparents just picking various children's things with the comment "The grands will grow into them".

The store is not very big, but it was well organized. The production area at the back kept things humming by replacing racks with fresh items. I have another shift tomorrow, will be interesting to hear the final total for the ten hours that the store was open.

bethk, UNCLE JIMMY, Imelda HL and JanaAZ like this post

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

New month?.... NO clue what to have.
We can think of things, but no desire to cook it. Maybe eggplant. Tina bought
a whole _ _ _ _ load of baby ones at the produce market.

bethk likes this post

bethk

bethk
Admin

I have the nicest 'Lock & Lock' food storage container.....fairly large with a raised 'grate' that fits in the bottom. I think it was meant for muffin or cookie storage to keep the food raised up from the bottom of the container.

But I've found it absolutely perfect for sliced watermelon! Yes, I cut off the rind of the melon and then slice it into 3/4" slices so all we have to do is grab a few for a dessert or snack. HE isn't inclined to cut melon of any kind on his own ~ if I don't trim it up and cut it into 'eating size' pieces it will just sit on the countertop until it rots.....

Ah, but I digress......

I think I picked up the container at The Container Store in Orlando ~ they have such a wide variety of different storage containers and gadgets and 'stuff' that's just fun to look at.

By having the slices of watermelon raised up from the bottom of the container it doesn't get 'water logged' or slimy and stays fresh in the air tight/water tight container for a week or more.

July, 2022 ~ ~ It's getting hot (but August will be hotter.......) Lock__10

Cookin Lore

bethk wrote:I have the nicest 'Lock & Lock' food storage container.....fairly large with a raised 'grate' that fits in the bottom.  I think it was meant for muffin or cookie storage to keep the food raised up from the bottom of the container.

But I've found it absolutely perfect for sliced watermelon!  Yes, I cut off the rind of the melon and then slice it into 3/4" slices so all we have to do is grab a few for a dessert or snack.  HE isn't inclined to cut melon of any kind on his own ~ if I don't trim it up and cut it into 'eating size' pieces it will just sit on the countertop until it rots.....

Ah, but I digress......

I think I picked up the container at The Container Store in Orlando ~ they have such a wide variety of different storage containers and gadgets and 'stuff' that's just fun to look at.

By having the slices of watermelon raised up from the bottom of the container it doesn't get 'water logged' or slimy and stays fresh in the air tight/water tight container for a week or more.

July, 2022 ~ ~ It's getting hot (but August will be hotter.......) Lock__10

That container looks great. And, I had a chuckle about what you said about the food sitting till it rots if you don't prepare it. That was basically how it was in my 51 year marriage. And, I have said many times, including to my children that I had no one to blame but myself. And, I said to my sons many times "Do not expect that you will have the same kind of division of duties in your marriages." And, it seems that they did listen. Both my sons share in many "household things". Case in point................... some time ago at one son's place, I happen to spill something. I asked DIL about something to clean it up............... her answer "You'll have to ask Danny, he's in charge of all floors!" LOL

I have a Sirloin strip steak marinating to go in the oven soon for dinner.

bethk and UNCLE JIMMY like this post

bethk

bethk
Admin

Our 2 hour rain storm is over.....typical Florida summer weather.

Here's a pic of the rain gauge.  As you can see, we got over 3 1/2" in a couple hours.

Fortunately for us it just runs through the sand and ends up far below us.

July, 2022 ~ ~ It's getting hot (but August will be hotter.......) 07_01_18

And I am so happy I didn't plan a grilled supper.  Instead, I made chicken chunks with Korean BBQ Sauce, white rice and peas & carrots.

July, 2022 ~ ~ It's getting hot (but August will be hotter.......) 07_01_19

July, 2022 ~ ~ It's getting hot (but August will be hotter.......) 07_01_20

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Low and Behold..... I always get the job of cutting the watermelon.
I get twisted out of shape when it sits there and no one eats it.
I get screamed at if I throw the rinds out in the woods. They say it attracts foxes and other animals. In my books, I never heard of a fox eating watermelon. hahahahahaha

On another note....
We love the container store. It is an hour from us, but they surely have some neat containers.
I use the Tupperware HAM taker. It has the insert that keeps the food off the watery bottom.

bethk likes this post

bethk

bethk
Admin

From Lore:

"Dinner Tonight. This is half of the sirloin grilling steak I did using the airfry feature in my oven. Mushroom sauce and cauliflower “steak” sautéed in butter."

July, 2022 ~ ~ It's getting hot (but August will be hotter.......) 07_01_21

bethk

bethk
Admin

OK, so the 'cooking funk' continues......

I went to Sam's Club today to pick up some meat because I'm running out of supplies. I got a couple really nice chuck roasts, a large pack of chicken wings, a 3-pack of rib eye steaks and a rotisserie chicken. I've got the roasts wrapped & in the freezer, as well as the rib eyes. I still have to break down the chicken wings so they'll sit in the back of the refrigerator until tomorrow morning when I can devote more time and energy than I currently have.

The rotisserie chicken got broken up. All the dark meat and bits got shredded by hand and put into a mixing bowl. The chicken breasts got wrapped and stashed in the freezer until I need some cooked chicken or decide we should have chicken sandwiches or a chicken casserole. The carcass & skin and odds & ends got put into a stock pot with a bunch of wilted / little-past-prime vegetables from the vegetable drawers and is currently simmering away on the stove. I gave it a taste a bit ago and it's really pretty darn tasty. I'll probably leave it out for Dane to have for his lunches this week. He likes to simmer up a couple cups with celery & carrot for a 'soup' at lunch with a salad. As far as I'm concerned, it's a 'freebe' so if he likes it, great!

The shredded chicken is going to be a casserole dish of Buffalo Chicken Dip and I'm serving that for supper.

It is what it is.

I'm at a loss for what I want to fix and when I saw the bottle of Frank's Original in the refrigerator I suddenly got hungry for the 'famous' dip.

Don't know if I should consider it enough for supper ~ but if he wants more he can decide on something for himself.

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Stomach issues here for both of us, so just picking on bland stuff today. Like puffed rice cakes, and cheese slices rolled up.

bethk likes this post

bethk

bethk
Admin

I can't remember ever saying something like 'Buffalo Dip' IS supper......

Well, wait ~ ~ ~ there have been times we've had a tray of sausages, cheese, olives, hard cooked eggs & bruschetta and THAT was supper.

So, I guess a casserole of buffalo chicken dip and a bag of tortilla chips isn't so strange.

July, 2022 ~ ~ It's getting hot (but August will be hotter.......) 07_02_13

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

bethk wrote:I can't remember ever saying something like 'Buffalo Dip' IS supper......

Well, wait ~ ~ ~ there have been times we've had a tray of sausages, cheese, olives, hard cooked eggs & bruschetta and THAT was supper.

So, I guess a casserole of buffalo chicken dip and a bag of tortilla chips isn't so strange.

July, 2022 ~ ~ It's getting hot (but August will be hotter.......) 07_02_13

Tina bought me a few bags of un-salted tortilla chips, and I eat them after I wet them in warm water. Same goes for taco shells.
Why??..... because I stab the roof of my mouth, or my gums.
I have very sensitive areas in my mouth. LOL

bethk likes this post

Cookin Lore

No cooing for me yesterday. After my shift at the thrift store, I stopped at a local Italian cafe for lunch. I ordered an antipasto "board".......................... very disappointed. There was three different meats, two cheeses, a few olives and some what seemed to be some sort of pickled tomato slices in oil. $22.00 Oh, and some bread. nothing green or fresh on it.

But, I ate most of it, so all I wanted for supper later was the last of the steak I made on Friday.

Sons are going fishing today, so hopefully some fresh fish for tonight.

And, I am going to bake some gluten free biscuits for DIL who is trying to live gluten free. She doesn't have celiac, but is very gluten sensitive.

bethk likes this post

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

HAPPY INDEPENDENCE DAY EVE .....

DD is getting ready to have a BBQ today.  Burger sliders, hot dogs, and London broil.  She made star shaped butter cookies for dessert. There is home made style ice cream from Taylors Ice cream store.  The kids and kids of the kids will be here around 3. Ooops! They are here N O W!
On Time too! 15:04:29

bethk likes this post

bethk

bethk
Admin

I prepped the package of chicken wings for the freezer and decided to make wings for supper. I'm doing the Alton Brown steaming method ~ I may have to put them into the oven (as he does) if the rain keeps up (( sigh ~ another mid day summer storm )) but I'm hoping I can use the gas grill and keep the heat outside.

I've got some of HIS Buffalo Wild Wings brand Caribbean Jerk (no reference about HIM.....but....maybe. LOL) and I think I'll use a sweet chili sauce for mine. I just had the traditional Buffalo Sauce flavor last night with the Buffalo Chicken Dip so I want something different today.

I'm thinking of making some Crispy Crown potatoes with a heavy sprinkling of chopped chives & parsley and I need to come up with a vegetable. Maybe I'll just go for making HIM a happy camper and boil up some frozen lima beans. He's always happy with that.

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

bethk wrote:I prepped the package of chicken wings for the freezer and decided to make wings for supper.  I'm doing the Alton Brown steaming method ~ I may have to put them into the oven (as he does) if the rain keeps up (( sigh ~ another mid day summer storm )) but I'm hoping I can use the gas grill and keep the heat outside.

I've got some of HIS Buffalo Wild Wings brand Caribbean Jerk (no reference about HIM.....but....maybe.  LOL) and I think I'll use a sweet chili sauce for mine.  I just had the traditional Buffalo Sauce flavor last night with the Buffalo Chicken Dip so I want something different today.

I'm thinking of making some Crispy Crown potatoes with a heavy sprinkling of chopped chives & parsley and I need to come up with a vegetable.  Maybe I'll just go for making HIM a happy camper and boil up some frozen lima beans.  He's always happy with that.

Speaking of RUBS, Tina just reminded me to order some Mad Hunky all purpose rub from Riches store. I see they have no salt rub, and that is great for me. He also offers Italian sausage seasoning, and onion sausage and other items.....
We enjoy his rub General purpose. I just add a little more brown sugar.
They like sweeeeet!

bethk likes this post

bethk

bethk
Admin

The wings were pretty tasty.....ended up doing them on the gas grill even though it was still raining a bit. Dane pulled the grill under the awning so I wouldn't get soaked as I tended to the wings as they browned up.

I added a bit of soy sauce and a few drops of sesame oil to my bottled sweet chili sauce and it made a huge difference ~ cut way back on the sweet & heat of the sauce. I hope I remember to do that again!

The Crispy Crowns were super flavorful with the heavy sprinkling of chives & parsley ~ never ceases to amaze me how just a little change can make a big difference in how something tastes. I just let them slowly brown on both sides in olive oil in a cast iron skillet on the stovetop. They were super crispy.

July, 2022 ~ ~ It's getting hot (but August will be hotter.......) 07_03_13

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

I forgot..... we had baked beans, pulled pork, oven roasted red and white baby potatoes too.
It is 81 degrees outside, but sunny. I ate too much but in all actuality, just 1/3rd of what I normally eat. I left room for the ice cream later. LOL

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

bethk wrote:The wings were pretty tasty.....ended up doing them on the gas grill even though it was still raining a bit.  Dane pulled the grill under the awning so I wouldn't get soaked as I tended to the wings as they browned up.

I added a bit of soy sauce and a few drops of sesame oil to my bottled sweet chili sauce and it made a huge difference ~ cut way back on the sweet & heat of the sauce.  I hope I remember to do that again!

The Crispy Crowns were super flavorful with the heavy sprinkling of chives & parsley ~ never ceases to amaze me how just a little change can make a big difference in how something tastes.  I just let them slowly brown on both sides in olive oil in a cast iron skillet on the stovetop.  They were super crispy.

July, 2022 ~ ~ It's getting hot (but August will be hotter.......) 07_03_13
bounce I most certainly would eat those wings nice and crispy like that. July, 2022 ~ ~ It's getting hot (but August will be hotter.......) 1309145179 July, 2022 ~ ~ It's getting hot (but August will be hotter.......) 3470128989

bethk likes this post

bethk

bethk
Admin

Yes, Jimmy ~ wings for YOU and ME!

The best part is the black, incinerated wing tips.....Ohhhh ~ so good!

Cookin Lore

Happy Independence Day!

No cooking for me yesterday (except baking the gf biscuits) I went out for dinner with an old friend. Thai food, a roast, crispy duck for me and something called Mango Pango with shrimp. Definitely way too much, so today is going to be a repeat.

bethk

bethk
Admin

Cookin Lore wrote:Happy Independence Day!  

No cooking for me yesterday (except baking the gf biscuits) I went out for dinner with an old friend.  Thai  food, a roast, crispy duck for me and something called Mango Pango with shrimp.  Definitely way too much, so today is going to be a repeat.

OK, so I had to google the Mango Pango.....found a dessert Mango Bango......and everything in between!

But it looked much like the Walnut Shrimp recipe for the meal I crave from the Chinese restaurant......breaded/fried shrimp with a white sauce of sweetened condensed milk, lemon juice and mayonnaise. I'm sure there are many, many yummy recipes that are named similar or the same!

I wish I could enjoy Thai food ~ but the cilantro really doesn't work for me. I've tried tempering it with mint and parsley and it still tastes awful to me.

But, not to worry, there are plenty of things I love to eat ~ ~ I'll not starve!! LOL

Cookin Lore

bethk wrote:
Cookin Lore wrote:Happy Independence Day!  

No cooking for me yesterday (except baking the gf biscuits) I went out for dinner with an old friend.  Thai  food, a roast, crispy duck for me and something called Mango Pango with shrimp.  Definitely way too much, so today is going to be a repeat.

OK, so I had to google the Mango Pango.....found a dessert Mango Bango......and everything in between!

But it looked much like the Walnut Shrimp recipe for the meal I crave from the Chinese restaurant......breaded/fried shrimp with a white sauce of sweetened condensed milk, lemon juice and mayonnaise.  I'm sure there are many, many yummy recipes that are named similar or the same!

I wish I could enjoy Thai food ~ but the cilantro really doesn't work for me.  I've tried tempering it with mint and parsley and it still tastes awful to me.  

But, not to worry, there are plenty of things I love to eat ~ ~ I'll not starve!!  LOL

This was very interesting, actually in the appetizer area of the menu.  many different vegetables, red and green pepper, carrots, something white and crunchy, something that looks like a type of melon and mango.  (I just looked at the leftovers) Server said "Would you like to add a protein?" as in would you like to spend more $$$$? So, since the duck was basically meat and rice, I added shrimp.   There was no cilantro to be seen in my dinner, as I am on the hater side of that one also. LOL The sauce was on the sweet side. Just remembered, cashews in it also.

PS. I have not been able to figure out how to make my font larger, any ideas here?

Last edited by Cookin Lore on Mon Jul 04, 2022 10:52 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : More infor)

bethk

bethk
Admin

Cookin Lore wrote:

PS.  I have not been able to figure out how to make my font larger, any ideas here?

I use the "Font Size" icon at the top of the message box......next to the large 'H' (Header Format) ~ ~ Looks like it has an 'up arrow' next to a large 'A'

You can change your font size (I use 16) before you start to type anything or you can type something and then highlight the entire area and click on the Font Size icon to change the size of the highlighted area.

Cookin Lore

It's not only on this site. It's on my email and everything else. Has to be in computer settings.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 7]

Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum