Cooking Friends
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Cooking Friends

Friends sharing recipes, cooking techniques & menu ideas in a friendly atmosphere.

You are not connected. Please login or register

May, 2022 ~ ~ Spring has Sprung! What's cooking?

5 posters

Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 5]

bethk

bethk
Admin

I haven't got a clue of what to make for tonight.....

My mind is still in a morning fog as I wait for my coffee to get my mind in gear.

I guess it's time to go back a few years in the forum and start looking at pics for ideas.

And since I don't have anything to discuss about food I figured I'd share a couple pics of our Easter Lilies that are FINALLY starting to bloom! (Better late than never!)

May, 2022 ~ ~ Spring has Sprung!  What's cooking? 05_01_17

May, 2022 ~ ~ Spring has Sprung!  What's cooking? 05_01_18

UNCLE JIMMY likes this post

bethk

bethk
Admin

The last time I was at Sam's Club I picked up some allergy pills since I was out. They didn't have the inexpensive ones I usually get so I picked up a different kind thinking, "allergy pills are allergy pills", and one should work as well as the next.

Well, that was WRONG!

I started taking them 3 nights ago and yesterday I sneezed and sneezed and sneezed. Today, every time I dropped my head down to look at something it was as if someone turned on a faucet in my nose. Gross! And again with the sneezing!

So, I headed back to Sam's Club to see if I could find something similar to the store brand I usually use.....and, YEA!, they had a new supply! I hope the one pill I took as soon as I got home kicks in soon (it'll probably make me fall asleep ~ that's why I take them at night.....). We're full of pollen and grass icky stuff in the air right now and I'm ready for the rains to start to clear the air.

While I was there (at Sam's) I went back to the meat department and picked up a rotisserie chicken for supper tonight. Even at the 'new' price of $4.99 (up from $4.50) they are still a huge deal. The whole RAW chickens they sell that come 2/pack are $6 or $7 for each chicken.....and you still have to cook it!

But that's still not bad for the 3 or 4 meals I get out of a whole chicken.

I picked up a package of thighs and a package of wings. I have the thighs individually wrapped and in a zip bag ~ into the freezer for later meals. The wings will get split up into drummies and flats/tips and package for 2 or 3 meals depending upon how many are in the package.

I also got some pork tenderloin ~ two cryo packs with 2 tenderloins in each package. I only get them when they're plain and not seasoned with anything. Since they're cryo packs I can let them sit in the refrigerator and break them down tomorrow to repack and stick in bags to freeze.

Not sure what I'll have with the rotisserie chicken but I'm sure I'll come up with something.

NormM

NormM

A few weeks ago the president of Charlie's low rider car club said his wife asked him to ask me if I would make a couple of sides for a party she was having.  I didn't know she was talking about a birthday party on cinco de mayo and it would be with all of the club members and their familys at a huge car show with all the low rider clubs in the Kansas City area attending as well as some coming from as far away as Mexico. The food was just for the members, not everyone.  There are food trucks and vendors for the rest.
 A few days ago she brought all the stuff over.  The picture does not show the onions, BBQ sauce, bacon and molasses.  Day before yesterday I did all a could do without opening the cans (because I did not have space to put that stuff otherwise)  I finished up this morning.  I went in the kitchen at about 6:15 and by 7:30 all the pots and pans were either cleaned and put away or in the dishwasher and then Charlie loaded up the car and left.  I went about 11 while they were still setting up and took a few pictures.  One of them are some customized bicycles that kid made in shop class.  There is a teacher that has that class every year.  There were more besides the ones I took a picture.May, 2022 ~ ~ Spring has Sprung!  What's cooking? 20220427[/url]
May, 2022 ~ ~ Spring has Sprung!  What's cooking? 20220511
May, 2022 ~ ~ Spring has Sprung!  What's cooking? 20220512

May, 2022 ~ ~ Spring has Sprung!  What's cooking? 20220513May, 2022 ~ ~ Spring has Sprung!  What's cooking? 20220514

bethk, UNCLE JIMMY and Imelda HL like this post

http://r2j1cp@gmail.com

bethk

bethk
Admin

I picked up a rotisserie chicken at Sam's Club this morning. When I reheated it I should have covered it but just put it on a rack in a 300°. It got dried out....but it was still good. I've got enough left to make some stock from the bones & skin and enough meat to make a meal of chicken enchiladas ~ maybe not soon so I'll double wrap the meat and stick it in the freezer until I'm hungry for that meal.

May, 2022 ~ ~ Spring has Sprung!  What's cooking? 05_01_19

bethk

bethk
Admin

I have the two packages of pork tenderloin to clean up, cut up, wrap & freeze today so I guess it's a good night to make my Sweet & Sour Pork ~ because the trimmings from the ends of the tenderloins makes for the absolute BEST S&S Pork!

bethk

bethk
Admin

I ended up needing to take a second allergy pill this morning.....the pollen is driving me crazy! And, of course, all I wanted to do all day was sit and then doze off for a few minutes.

So, no supper tonight. Dane had a sandwich and I had two glasses of ice water ~ those pills dry me up but also wear off and then I'll be back to sneezing and having a dripping nose.....

I know ~ TOO MUCH INFORMATION!

Sorry. I'll stop now.

LOL

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Chicken soup for supper ...... again!

bethk likes this post

bethk

bethk
Admin

From Lore:

"Hi from Alberta, Canada. My last night in a hotel, home tomorrow. I will be happy to find my own bed. Had an afternoon snack of some calamari and some great Guacamole and of course it was too. Much, so no dinner. Will write more once I’m back at my computer rather than always on the phone."

May, 2022 ~ ~ Spring has Sprung!  What's cooking? 05_02_14

UNCLE JIMMY and Imelda HL like this post

bethk

bethk
Admin

I got the pork tenderloins broken down into serving sizes ~ I have four good sized tenderloin 'roasts' and one package of bite size bits for another meal of s&s pork.

So, here's tonight's Sweet & Sour Pork over rice ~ it's an old-time recipe from the red & white Better Homes & Gardens ring-binder cookbook. It's my go-to reference for when I can't remember something or want to just glance through the recipes from my youth.

Of course I've adjusted the recipe for our personal tastes and it always seems to hit the right note.

May, 2022 ~ ~ Spring has Sprung!  What's cooking? 05_03_19

NormM

NormM

May, 2022 ~ ~ Spring has Sprung!  What's cooking? 20220515
We had breaded pork chops, green beans, Southern milk gravy and rice.  Charlie picked the rice and gravy over smashed potatoes or pasta with Alfredo sauce.

bethk, UNCLE JIMMY and Imelda HL like this post

bethk

bethk
Admin

I used the carcass from the rotisserie chicken to make some really tasty chicken stock.  Today I used that stock to make chicken noodle soup.  Was super easy as I had a quart of noodles in the freezer from the last time I made them ~ didn't dry them but put them into a quart container and stashed them in the freezer until I wanted to have them.  Just dropped (frozen) into the boiling stock and let them simmer for 15 minutes or so till done.  Really tasty.

May, 2022 ~ ~ Spring has Sprung!  What's cooking? 05_04_23

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Had Rigatoni with meatballs. Ragu Jar sauce; fast and easy.
Breakfast was 2 small pancakes with a Tbs. of syrup.
We both still feel like dog doo.

bethk likes this post

bethk

bethk
Admin

From Lore:

"First dinner I made for myself after 18 days of my trip. I found no plain baked potatoes on any restaurant menu. Only French fries or mashed. I really like a plain potato. So, that’s what I made for myself tonight. A chicken leg, potato, and a slice or “steak” of cauliflower. All done in my oven. Happy to be home."

bethk and UNCLE JIMMY like this post

bethk

bethk
Admin

UNCLE JIMMY wrote:Had Rigatoni with meatballs. Ragu Jar sauce; fast and easy.
Breakfast was 2 small pancakes with a Tbs. of syrup.
We both still feel like dog doo.

Oh, dear, Jimmy ~ I sure wish I could wave my magic wand and make you both feel better......

And since you're sick of chicken soup I can't even offer that! But keep drinking the liquids to stay hydrated and take lots of naps. It'll pass soon (I hope).

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Thanks Beth....We are both coming back to life. No more coughing.
Tina had a trip to her uncles this morning. She did ok. We are both in nappy time now, so we shall be thinking of what to make for supper.
Maria snapped right out of it, and was back to work yesterday.
Tina mentioned beans cooked in tomato sauce and olive oil with onions.

bethk likes this post

bethk

bethk
Admin

Dane took his sister to her doctor's appointment in St. Augustine this morning and they went out for a late lunch. So ~ ~ no cooking here tonight.

I haven't eaten all day but I can't think of what sounds good. I'll probably just do a carry-out from somewhere but I can't decide what I'm hungry for.

I need a vacation at the beach and nothing to do but sit in a lovely sea-side restaurant perusing a menu with lots of seafood choices.......

(( sigh ))

bethk

bethk
Admin

From Lore:

"Dinner Tonight. Some marinated seafood on
Piece of naan Yumm"

May, 2022 ~ ~ Spring has Sprung!  What's cooking? 05_05_11

bethk

bethk
Admin

I had the empanadas out of the freezer to thaw. The avocados are feeling nice and tender as I checked them on the counter. The green plantains are in the refrigerator so they don't ripen because they'll be cut, fried, smashed & fried again to become tostones to go with my Cuban Empanada meal.

BUT ~ ~ Jim called and asked if we wouldn't please go for Chinese with him tonight.

My meal will wait until tomorrow just fine.

I'd ask Jim to come here for supper but he won't eat what I have........He's pickier than ME! LOL

bethk

bethk
Admin

Today was 'Oven Cleaning Day' at my house. DD#1 is coming to visit for a couple days the end of the month and I didn't want her to see my dirty oven (although I doubt we'll even be here at the house for any meals.....). But it was time to clean it anyway ~ I hate when it starts to 'smoke' when it's on preheat......LOL (NO, it wasn't THAT bad ~ but close!)

I had Dane pull the range out from the wall so it wasn't next to the cabinets. When it's on self-clean cycle it gets so hot I don't want to take a chance of setting the kitchen on fire. I set it to clean for 3 hours and had the racks pulled out before I started. The greasy racks get put into a big plastic bag outside and I pour about 4 gallons of hot water over and add about a cup of ammonia and tie the bag shut and just let it sit in the sun to stay warm. Within an hour it's cooled down enough to open (the fresh air makes it much easier to wipe the racks down) and then, wearing gloves, I just use a little scrubbie pad to wipe the gunk off. Nice and shiny! I do give them another quick rinse down in the sink with detergent to get the last bits of whatever off.....but there's no hard scrubbing to do.

The oven, however, is another story. Even after the self clean it still has to be sprayed & rubbed to get the remnants of the hot cleaning off the door and sides. The glass got a spritz of Krud Kutter and I just used a razor blade to easily scrape the bits off. The door and sides had to be sprayed and rubbed down with the scrubbie pad and then rinsed a couple times.

I always have so much difficulty reaching the back of the oven with the door in the way ~ I'm not as limber as I used to be. So, I looked up on line and found my range specifics and found how to remove the door! Woo Hoo! There are a couple clips on the hinges that flip up and then you (or in MY case, Dane) can just pull the door up and off. I knew it was heavy so I didn't want to attempt it alone ~ that's why I keep HIM around when I'm doing some things around the house.

With the door removed it was easy to reach the back wall and all the way to the back edges to get all the dust and drips wiped down.

So now I'm especially happy we're going out to supper ~ I'm exhausted!

As soon as my lottery numbers are selected I'm going to hire someone to come and do this stuff for me!

(I won't hold my breath until THAT happens......)

bethk

bethk
Admin

From Lore:

"Dinner Tonight. Maple glazed salmon and a salad of red kidney beans, garbanzo beans, tomatoes, cucumber, radish, lots of parsley, just a bit of oil, lemon juice and salt and pepper."

May, 2022 ~ ~ Spring has Sprung!  What's cooking? 05_06_13

NormM

NormM

May, 2022 ~ ~ Spring has Sprung!  What's cooking? 20220520
May, 2022 ~ ~ Spring has Sprung!  What's cooking? 20220519
I did pork ribs in the smoker today.  With them we had some fresh cut pineapple, BBQ beans, potato/egg salad, some beer cheese dip, some black bean corn dip for corn chips and corn on the cobMay, 2022 ~ ~ Spring has Sprung!  What's cooking? 20220516
.  Later we will have some store bought brownies.

bethk

bethk
Admin

I'm glad it's warm enough for the smoker to be used, Norm......hoping your snow is DONE! Your ribs look finger-licking good, as usual!

I made the empanadas today. Since I had to have hot oil for the tostones (twice fried plantains) I decided to fry the empanadas, too. We both agreed they really are better fried instead of the baked ones I usually make. The avocados were at the perfect ripeness today so the guacamole was pretty tasty.

May, 2022 ~ ~ Spring has Sprung!  What's cooking? 05_07_19

May, 2022 ~ ~ Spring has Sprung!  What's cooking? 05_07_20

NormM and UNCLE JIMMY like this post

bethk

bethk
Admin

From Lore:

"Dinner Tonight. Stir fry of red and orange pepper, mushrooms, chicken breast, shallots on tagliatelle in a bit of cream. Yumm! "

May, 2022 ~ ~ Spring has Sprung!  What's cooking? 05_07_21

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Today is Mothers Day.
Happy Mothers Day to ALL The mothers out there,

No Clue what will be on the agenda. ?? I don't ask any more. I get blamed if I do, and even if I don't....

bethk likes this post

bethk

bethk
Admin

Thanks, Jimmy ~ and to the other moms (and anyone who's EVER taken care of a child) ~ Happy Mother's Day!

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 5]

Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum