Cooking Friends
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Cooking Friends

Friends sharing recipes, cooking techniques & menu ideas in a friendly atmosphere.

You are not connected. Please login or register

January, 2022.........Let the New Year begin!

+4
NormM
Imelda HL
JanaAZ
bethk
8 posters

Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 6]

bethk

bethk
Admin

Do you have a 'special' menu for the first day of the New Year? Maybe one that brings luck throughout the year?

In the past I've tried the menu with pork, collard greens, black eyed peas and cornbread ~ and if it brought luck through the year I didn't seem to notice!

So, this year I'm going back to my Pork & Sauerkraut.....not so much for the luck as for the fact that we really like it!

Happy New Year!

bethk

bethk
Admin

Today I'm making a North Carolina Lemon Pie with a Saltine Crust I saw made on Cook's Country TV program. It sounded interesting to me as I've never considered making a pie crust from saltine crackers. It's in the oven now ~ I'll report about the taste later. Since I don't own a 'food processor' I had to improvise with the old method of crushing the saltine crackers in a zip bag with my rolling pin and it was an easy enough task. The crumbs, when mixed with melted butter and Karo Syrup (light corn syrup) were a bit daunting to get pressed into an even layer in the pie plate but ended up looking even when baked.

It's nice you don't have to wait for the crust to cool before pouring in the filling and baking that for 15 minutes or so. And the filling was just a 'stir together' filling so I didn't have to get a mixer out for anything.

Here's the recipe as copied from some blogger:

Lemon Pie ~ North Carolina Lemon Pie w/Saltine Crust

Ingredients
• Crust
• 6 oz saltine crackers (about 53 crackers - or 1 1/2 sleeves)
• 1/8 tsp salt
• 10 tbsp butter, melted
• 1/4 C light corn syrup

• Filling
• 1 (14 oz) can sweetened condensed milk
• 4 large egg yolks
• 1/4 C heavy cream
• 1 tbsp grated lemon zest
• 1/2 C fresh lemon juice (about 3 medium lemons)
• 1/8 tsp salt

• Topping
• 1/2 C heavy cream, chilled
• 2 tsp sugar
• 1/2 tsp vanilla extract

Instructions
1. Crust: Preheat the oven to 350°. Grease (or spray) a 9" glass pie plate.
2. Combine the saltines and salt in a food processor and pulse to coarse crumbs, about 15 pulses. Add the melted butter and corn syrup and pulse about 15 more times, until the crumbs are broken down into oatmeal-sized pieces.
3. Pour the saltine mixture into the prepared pie plate. Using the bottom of a dry measuring 1/2 cup, press the crumbs into an even layer on the bottom and sides of the plate, using your fingers to keep the crumbs in as you're pressing the crumbs. Place the pie plate on a baking sheet and bake until light golden brown, 17 minutes. Remove from oven.
4. Filling: While the crust bakes, whisk the condensed milk, egg yolks, cream, lemon zest and salt into a medium bowl until fully combined. Whisk in the lemon juice (it will thicken a bit at this point) until fully combined.
5. Keep the pie crust on the baking sheet and pour the filling into the crust (crust doesn't need to be cool).
6. Bake the pie (still at 350°) until edges are beginning to set but the center still jiggles just a bit when shaken, 15 to 17 minutes. It will firm up a little after it's taken from the oven and cooling. Cool completely on a wire rack, then place in the refrigerator until fully chilled, about 3-4 hours.
7. Topping: In a medium bowl (or stand mixer), whisk and whip the cream, sugar, and vanilla on medium-low speed until foamy, about 30 seconds. Increase speed to high and whip until stiff peaks form, 1-2 minutes. Spread a thin layer of whipped cream over the top of the pie. Garnish with thin lemon slices if desired.

Notes ~ Tips and Stuff:
I wrote the recipe exactly as I made the pie and the ingredient amounts are exactly what Cook's Country called for. Next time I will make some minor changes:
Since I use salted butter, I will omit the salt from the crust. Also, on the crust, I will lower the amount of saltines to 5 oz (and only 9 tbsp melted butter) as I thought the crust was a bit thick on the bottom.
Next time, I will double the topping since we like a thicker layer of whipped cream.

bethk

bethk
Admin

I'm having an egg salad sandwich for my lunch (again) today. I forgot to say, "Thanks!" to Norm for being the one to suggest steaming eggs so they are easier to peel when cooked. Lately I've been having a heck of a time getting neat eggs for deviled eggs or for pretty slices in salads. For whatever reason the darn shells wouldn't peel off with the inside membrane....I know I didn't have "FRESH" eggs as I just buy eggs from the grocery store and those are probably 3 or 4 weeks old by the time they hit the shelves.

I tried adding vinegar to the water ~ didn't do a thing but keep my pot nice and shiny. I tried adding a bit of baking soda ~ no change.

But the steamed eggs were easy to peel and came out nice and neat.

So, thanks, Norm, for being the one I finally listened to.

bethk

bethk
Admin

I got my sauerkraut mixed up for adding to my pork shoulder when it's time to go into the oven.  It use to be I would open two big cans of sauerkraut and use that all by itself with the pork.  But over the years I've found we like it a little milder so I now add shredded fresh cabbage and grated apple.

Today I have half a head of cabbage, finely shredded by hand, a peeled Jonathon apple grated on a box grater and just a 14.5 oz. can of Libby's Sauerkraut.  I don't care for the Bavarian style with the addition of caraway seeds.  I would normally use Silver Floss brand but couldn't find any on the grocery shelves this year.  I did have to 'pick through' the sauerkraut for bits and chunks that were of the core and very hard.....almost stick-like.  

I'll probably add a fair amount of chicken stock and/or water as the casserole bakes because we like a lot of 'juice' to spoon over the homemade spaetzle.

January, 2022.........Let the New Year begin! 01_01_17

JanaAZ

Happy new year everyone. We’re making pork chops with sauerkraut. It’s getting about time for me to ferment some more. It’s a never ending cycle.

bethk, cookingirl and Imelda HL like this post

bethk

bethk
Admin

Our pork & sauerkraut was really good tonight.  I'm glad I've gotten in the habit of adding fresh shredded cabbage to make it milder.  My digestive trac thanks me!  LOL I would have been happy with potatoes with the pork but Dane has loved the homemade spaetzle since he was a kid at home. His German Grandma Braun made the dish for the family and everyone loved it. He always told me how good it was and the first time I was invited to try the dish I knew exactly how to make the noodles. They are the same, although a different shape, as the Chicken Ribbley (Rivel) Soup MY Grandma Emch made.

January, 2022.........Let the New Year begin! 01_01_22

January, 2022.........Let the New Year begin! 01_01_19

The pie held together nicely and had good lemon flavor.  There was just a bit of saltiness in the saltine crust ~ it was a nice crunchy addition.  And, no, I didn't whip my own whipped cream (although I had heavy cream and could have) ~ mainly because I HAD the can of Reddi Whip in the refrigerator and it needs to be used.  

If I make the pie again (and I just might) I will make it in a 10" springform pan as a tart and not have the back crust.  That was just too much and, quite honestly, too hard (as in not 'tender') to eat.  The flavor was fine but it was really firm.

January, 2022.........Let the New Year begin! 01_01_20January, 2022.........Let the New Year begin! 01_01_21

Imelda HL likes this post

Imelda HL

Imelda HL

bethk wrote:Our pork & sauerkraut was really good tonight.  I'm glad I've gotten in the habit of adding fresh shredded cabbage to make it milder.  My digestive trac thanks me!   LOL    I would have been happy with potatoes with the pork but Dane has loved the homemade spaetzle since he was a kid at home.  His German Grandma Braun made the dish for the family and everyone loved it.  He always told me how good it was and the first time I was invited to try the dish I knew exactly how to make the noodles.  They are the same, although a different shape, as the Chicken Ribbley (Rivel) Soup MY Grandma Emch made.  
]

The pie held together nicely and had good lemon flavor.  There was just a bit of saltiness in the saltine crust ~ it was a nice crunchy addition.  And, no, I didn't whip my own whipped cream (although I had heavy cream and could have) ~ mainly because I HAD the can of Reddi Whip in the refrigerator and it needs to be used.  

If I make the pie again (and I just might) I will make it in a 10" springform pan as a tart and not have the back crust.  That was just too much and, quite honestly, too hard (as in not 'tender') to eat.  The flavor was fine but it was really firm.

I want to try your pork and sauerkraut some time later, what cut of pork did you use? 2 weeks ago I also baked a lemon pie, I used store bought pie crust, I only ate a little bite, D and mostly my MiL finished it, she liked it very much, she likes all kind of pies, I always have pies ready for her, mostly store bought apple pie, cherry pie, pumpkin pie, blueberry pies and else, she eats them for her late night snacking while watching her favorite channel on TV.

I made a Custard pie last month, this is my most favorite pie, I finished most of it Razz

January, 2022.........Let the New Year begin! 5c511d10
January, 2022.........Let the New Year begin! C4ea6a10

bethk likes this post

Imelda HL

Imelda HL

Happy New Year, my cooking friends, I hope we'll have a better 2022.

Today is Black-eyed pea soup, I added bunch of veggies I had in my fridge, a bit of collard greens, a bit of green beans, potatoes, carrots, I even added some fresh picked arugula in my bowl before I added the hot soup. it's pretty good, I can't eat raw arugula, too bitter and peppery for me. I baked a pan of Grandma Cream Cheese pound cake late last night and had it for breakfast this morning. Last night just before midnight I got on chatting with my family members on Whatapps Group, they were 14 hours ahead of me, so they were already on the first day of 2022, it's amazing the technology now, we were from AZ, TX, Jakarta, Sydney Australia, Singapore, we were all fit in the small cellphone screen. It was fun, each of us showed off what we had, mostly foods, I showed them my pound cake  Razz

January, 2022.........Let the New Year begin! 744de610
January, 2022.........Let the New Year begin! 345d2110
January, 2022.........Let the New Year begin! Be18b110

bethk likes this post

bethk

bethk
Admin

Imelda HL wrote:

I want to try your pork and sauerkraut some time later, what cut of pork did you use? 2 weeks ago I also baked a lemon pie, I used store bought pie crust, I only ate a little bite, D and mostly my MiL finished it, she liked it very much, she likes all kind of pies, I always have pies ready for her, mostly store bought apple pie, cherry pie, pumpkin pie, blueberry pies and else, she eats them for her late night snacking while watching her favorite channel on TV.

I made a Custard pie last month, this is my most favorite pie, I finished most of it Razz

I used what are called here "Boneless Country Ribs" but it's actually sliced pork shoulder cut into long chunks ~ a fair amount of fat (which I trim a lot off).  Any fresh pork would work, although to braise it you really want the inexpensive kind so the meat breaks down and gets super tender.  We were laughing at the table because the only thing we used our knifes for was to push the last bits on to our forks!  LOL

I, too, love a good custard pie ~ actually, I really, REALLY like a baked egg custard in little glass cups ~ the size that can be hidden in the back of the refrigerator so you can keep them for yourself for about 3 days in a row!  ((  Not that I would EVER do anything so sneaky......  ))

bethk

bethk
Admin

JanaAZ wrote:Happy new year everyone. We’re making pork chops with sauerkraut. It’s getting about time for me to ferment some more. It’s a never ending cycle.

I wish you lived closer so I could observe your fermenting techniques. I learn much easier by observing others instead of 'reading' a recipe or a novel about what to do. I know it's 'easy' and fairly straight forward. But I've not been successful more than once. I had the same problem making homemade yogurt ~ but since I don't eat but 4 oz. at a time it wasn't a huge loss to me. LOL

I just haven't had luck with the fermenting.....that and I'm pretty lazy so the canned Silver Floss works for me.

bethk

bethk
Admin

Imelda HL wrote: Last night just before midnight I got on chatting with my family members on Whatapps Group, they were 14 hours ahead of me, so they were already on the first day of 2022, it's amazing the technology now, we were from AZ, TX, Jakarta, Sydney Australia, Singapore, we were all fit in the small cellphone screen. It was fun, each of us showed off what we had, mostly foods, I showed them my pound cake  Razz

Technology is so amazing now. Can you imagine how much easier it would have been for you when you first moved to the US to be able to pick up your phone and see and speak with your mom?

I can remember when Dane got home from Viet Nam and was discharged from the Army. We moved to Florida for a year. I was SO homesick. I had to wait until after 7:00 in the evening to call Mom because it was cheaper to call long distance after 7:00. And we could only afford the long distance charges about once a month ~ for about a 10 minute phone call.

bethk

bethk
Admin

From Lore:

"Dinner Tonight. I’m not very ambitious ‘cause I think I have the dreaded micron. Cough, cold shakes and extreme fatigue. I’ve had worse. Picture is of a London broil from my favorite butcher shop and some sautéed mushrooms, red pepper and corn."

January, 2022.........Let the New Year begin! 01_01_23

bethk

bethk
Admin

Oh, dear, Lore. I hope you don't have a serious illness. Have you called your sons to let them know you might be needing some help? Please, Please, PLEASE keep them in the loop. They can assist in little ways to be sure you have everything you need.

Imelda HL

Imelda HL

bethk wrote:
Imelda HL wrote:

I used what are called here "Boneless Country Ribs" but it's actually sliced pork shoulder cut into long chunks ~ a fair amount of fat (which I trim a lot off).  Any fresh pork would work, although to braise it you really want the inexpensive kind so the meat breaks down and gets super tender.  We were laughing at the table because the only thing we used our knifes for was to push the last bits on to our forks!  LOL

I, too, love a good custard pie ~ actually, I really, REALLY like a baked egg custard in little glass cups ~ the size that can be hidden in the back of the refrigerator so you can keep them for yourself for about 3 days in a row!  ((  Not that I would EVER do anything so sneaky......  ))

Thanks, my favorite cut of meat, It's a good cut for making Chinese style BBQ, lots of fat, I love fatty meat, but now I try to eat less of them.

bethk likes this post

NormM

NormM

Because it is really hard to find decent ham hocks any more, and because Charlie is getting tired of plain old blackeyed peas, I decided to find another way to use the traditional ingredients in my Mom's Southern New Year day dinner. I substituted pork sausage and spinach in a soup for the ham hocks and collard greens. I used corn chips for corn bread and then made some corn bread any way. I made black eyed and cheese dip for the corn chips instead of cooking them with the ham and collard greens. The rest of the stuff was just added to round out the meal a little more. The shrimp is a recipe from a famous New Orleans restaurant. The pineapple and mango salsa (not pictured) is a Mexican style salsa.
January, 2022.........Let the New Year begin! 20220110
January, 2022.........Let the New Year begin! 20220112
January, 2022.........Let the New Year begin! 20220111

bethk and Imelda HL like this post

http://r2j1cp@gmail.com

bethk

bethk
Admin

WOW !

NormM likes this post

bethk

bethk
Admin

Today was the first cutting of the Swiss Chard from the patio pots. We had more than enough for a meal for the two of us. I had some chicken thighs thawed so I went with the same-old-same-old meal and just made some simple boiled potatoes to finish it off.

January, 2022.........Let the New Year begin! 01_02_11

Imelda HL likes this post

JanaAZ

bethk wrote:
JanaAZ wrote:Happy new year everyone. We’re making pork chops with sauerkraut. It’s getting about time for me to ferment some more. It’s a never ending cycle.

I wish you lived closer so I could observe your fermenting techniques. I learn much easier by observing others instead of 'reading' a recipe or a novel about what to do.  I know it's 'easy' and fairly straight forward.  But I've not been successful more than once.  I had the same problem making homemade yogurt ~ but since I don't eat but 4 oz. at a time it wasn't a huge loss to me.  LOL  

I just haven't had luck with the fermenting.....that and I'm pretty lazy so the canned Silver Floss works for me.

It’s very easy. I have to make some sauerkraut in the next few weeks. We could do a zoom or FaceTime if you want.

bethk likes this post

bethk

bethk
Admin

JanaAZ wrote:
bethk wrote:

I wish you lived closer so I could observe your fermenting techniques. I learn much easier by observing others instead of 'reading' a recipe or a novel about what to do.  I know it's 'easy' and fairly straight forward.  But I've not been successful more than once.  I had the same problem making homemade yogurt ~ but since I don't eat but 4 oz. at a time it wasn't a huge loss to me.  LOL  

It’s very easy. I have to make some sauerkraut in the next few weeks. We could do a zoom or FaceTime if you want.

A FaceTime would be great as I know I can do that on my phone (I don't have an iPad....). I really just need to see how you pack / store in jars. We can pm my phone number when it's closer to the time....

Thanks for the offer!

JanaAZ likes this post

bethk

bethk
Admin

I was bemoaning the fact that I forgot to pick up some Thomas English Muffins as I had NONE for my early morning coffee today. When I opened the refrigerator to reach for the package (that WASN'T there....) I did notice I had a quart container of leftover beef/peapod stir fry and a quart container of leftover pork & sauerkraut.

So, tonight was the leftover stir fry. Tomorrow will be the pork & sauerkraut.

But I'm still bummed I don't have any English Muffins......

January, 2022.........Let the New Year begin! 01_03_13

bethk

bethk
Admin

From Lore:

"First dinner I actually cooked. I think this is what the Italians call a Branzina. Fabulous. And mushrooms, onions, corn and peppers."

January, 2022.........Let the New Year begin! 01_03_14

January, 2022.........Let the New Year begin! 01_03_15

bethk likes this post

bethk

bethk
Admin

Second set of leftovers ~ Pork & Sauerkraut ~ is heating for supper tonight.

If you want to see a picture, just scroll back up to the top of the page.....

LOL

cookingirl likes this post

bethk

bethk
Admin

We're going out to dinner tonight.....

So, no cooking at my house!

cookingirl likes this post

Imelda HL

Imelda HL

My new favorite stir-fry, inspired by Beth cooking her sauerkraut, I used Polish sausage and added more veggies  (carrot and collard greens) as my cabbage was not enough, instead of using an apple like Beth did,  I used a bit maple syrup to sweeten it, I cooked a pot white rice, they were so good, my MiL and hubby cleaned her plates  Laughing  Now, what's for dinner tomorrow?????

January, 2022.........Let the New Year begin! A20ced10
January, 2022.........Let the New Year begin! D4b60b10

bethk, NormM and cookingirl like this post

JanaAZ

bethk wrote:
JanaAZ wrote:
bethk wrote:

A FaceTime would be great as I know I can do that on my phone (I don't have an iPad....).  I really just need to see how you pack / store in jars.  We can pm my phone number when it's closer to the time....

Thanks for the offer!

I may have photos of the process I use. My nephew wanted it a while ago. I used to do everything by hand but I now shred the cabbage in my cuisinart and mix it with salt in my kitchenaid mixer. Saves a lot of time and my hands used to get sore when I did it manually. It really is easy. I’ll probably get the cabbage next week. Let’s talk

bethk likes this post

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 6]

Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum