Cooking Friends
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Cooking Friends

Friends sharing recipes, cooking techniques & menu ideas in a friendly atmosphere.

You are not connected. Please login or register

July, 2022 ~ ~ It's getting hot (but August will be hotter.......)

+2
Cookin Lore
bethk
6 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Go down  Message [Page 5 of 7]

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

We had the cheeseburgers with the Greek style chili sauce, and called it lunch and supper. We were not hungry.
And....tomorrow, is another day.; God be willing.

bethk likes this post

bethk

bethk
Admin

From Lore:

"Dinner Tonight. Pan seared duck breast done to a perfect med rare, small roasted potatoes and an onion, tomato and cucumber salad."

July, 2022 ~ ~ It's getting hot (but August will be hotter.......) - Page 5 07_20_17

bethk and UNCLE JIMMY like this post

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Just had lunch. Shells pasta with red beans and onions.
SUPPER ?????? no clue,

bethk likes this post

bethk

bethk
Admin

'I Spy'............FISH!

Salmon for HIM, grouper for me.

I seasoned & slathered my grouper with a bit of mayo so the panko would stick & let it sit for an hour in the refrigerator so the panko would stay stuck when it cooked on the grill mat. The salmon was simply seasoned with a bit of s&p and cooked mostly skin-side-down on the grill mat ~ to about 135° until done.

I par-cooked the corn on the cobs (in the husks) in the microwave for 4 minutes (because there were 2 ears of corn....2 minutes / ear) and let it sit in the sink until it was cooled down enough to handle.....cut it off the cobs and then reheated in some butter.

The potatoes were also par-cooked in the microwave and then finished on the rack of the hot grill to get the crispy skin we both enjoy.

July, 2022 ~ ~ It's getting hot (but August will be hotter.......) - Page 5 07_21_15

There won't be any cooking here for a couple days.

Tomorrow Lyn & I are having a 'Get-Outta-Dodge' day to celebrate my birthday.

Saturday we're going to go to the Chop House for a belated birthday dinner (I didn't want two big meals in one day so I'm stretching the day out!).

UNCLE JIMMY and Imelda HL like this post

Cookin Lore

Mayo on the fish to make the panko (or breadcrumbs) stick?  Must try that, it would be simpler than eggs.  

I put some sausages to cook yesterday when I had my potatoes in the oven, so when I came home from my shift, I gobbled down a sausage really quickly about 2:30.  Then, of course not hungry for dinner.  But, I had a nice, big yellow heirloom tomato, cut that up, added some parsley, onion and pea shoots, feta, salt and pepper that fit the bill.

Dinner Tonight. Simple salad of an heirloom yellow tomato, pea shoots, onion, feta and parsley. Yumm!

July, 2022 ~ ~ It's getting hot (but August will be hotter.......) - Page 5 07_21_10

UNCLE JIMMY, Imelda HL and JanaAZ like this post

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Happy Birthday Beth.....
Have a great celebration....

bethk likes this post

Cookin Lore

Happy Birthday, Beth! And many more!

bethk likes this post

JanaAZ

Happy birthday Queen….

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

We had BLT's and apricot cookies.

bethk likes this post

JanaAZ

Just make a blueberry peach pie. Can’t wait to serve it to orrowJuly, 2022 ~ ~ It's getting hot (but August will be hotter.......) - Page 5 Dd057110
July, 2022 ~ ~ It's getting hot (but August will be hotter.......) - Page 5 476cc510
July, 2022 ~ ~ It's getting hot (but August will be hotter.......) - Page 5 2373dc10

bethk

bethk
Admin

JanaAZ wrote:Just make a blueberry peach pie. Can’t wait to serve it tomorrow

Love the combo of the two fruits!

My mom used to make and apple/sour cherry pie that everyone loved. Odd, but I was never able to locate her recipe.....I guess she took it with her.....

UNCLE JIMMY and JanaAZ like this post

bethk

bethk
Admin

Thanks for all the well wishes ~ it was a very nice birthday.

Lyn & I went to lunch & shopping in Ocala. Tomorrow evening Dane & I are going to The Chop House for a birthday dinner celebration........with a fabulous espresso martini for me!

UNCLE JIMMY likes this post

Cookin Lore

Glad you had a good b-day.
And speaking of unusual combinations for things, someone brought an amazing zuccini/pineapple loaf for coffee break at my volunteering job. It was really good!

bethk

bethk
Admin

We had an absolutely lovely time last night at our celebration supper at The Chop House. I thought about getting something different from my 'usual' order of filet.....but, hey, it was the night's special paired with four jumbo shrimp.

The meal was excellent and the service is always top notch. Who could ask for more?

Our waitress mentioned she was going to bring me a piece of cake as a birthday treat and I said I was just too full. So, she suggested bringing it to the table in a 'to-go' box.

I had it with my coffee for breakfast!

Now I'm on a sugar high and ready for a nap soon......

But before I doze off I've got to go play 'I-Spy' in the freezer. After 2 nights of not cooking I've got to get my groove back and make a meal.....

UNCLE JIMMY and Imelda HL like this post

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Last night we had the diced egg plant mixed in the meatball mixture with beef for the basic meatballs.
Fried them in shallow oil and ate them after a dusting of grated cheese. I get dagger eyes if I use too much cheese on mine. ( sodium ) I have to watch my intake of sodium.
Now.... we are at a loss and have brain fade thinking of what to eat.

bethk likes this post

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Tina Figured out what to make for supper.
MORE Eggplant, only fried .  She fried the eggplant and at the end, she fried the Yellow BLOB
( The eggs and crumbs from the breading )July, 2022 ~ ~ It's getting hot (but August will be hotter.......) - Page 5 Img_2210

bethk likes this post

Cookin Lore

That's soooooo funny! But, I've done the same with that blob, and it was actually quite tasty. LOL

bethk

bethk
Admin

'I - Spy' came up with pork steak......

I ended up braising it (ala Ms. Tina method), added boiled potatoes to spoon the gravy over, braised cabbage (tri-color with green, red cabbage, carrots & onions) and added some cucumber/onion salad to finish out the meal.

It was too much for me to eat.....but getting tossed is fine.

I wish I could just estimate how much we really WILL eat.

But, it was tasty and neither of us will wilt away before morning......

July, 2022 ~ ~ It's getting hot (but August will be hotter.......) - Page 5 07_24_14

bethk

bethk
Admin

From Lore:

"Dinner Tonight. Zucchini, red pepper, noons and potato medallions air fried and pan fried rainbow trout fillet. Went a little overboard on black pepper, but Yumm anyway!"

July, 2022 ~ ~ It's getting hot (but August will be hotter.......) - Page 5 07_24_15

Cookin Lore

[quote="bethk"]From Lore:

"Dinner Tonight. Zucchini, red pepper, noons and potato medallions air fried and pan fried rainbow trout fillet.  Went a little overboard on black pepper, but Yumm anyway!"stick, tried that on the fish today, it worked great

July, 2022 ~ ~ It's getting hot (but August will be hotter.......) - Page 5 07_24_15
[/quote

Interesting the words that sometimes show up on our posts. There's "noons" in my post, obviously it should have been onions! LOL Not that it's important anyway!

PS, someone posted here about putting Mayo on fish to have the PANCO stick. I tried that today, and will never do the flour/egg/breadcrumb thing again.

bethk

bethk
Admin

Cookin Lore wrote:
And speaking of unusual combinations for things, someone brought an amazing zuccini/pineapple loaf for coffee break at my volunteering job.  It was really good!

Lore ~ if you like the zucchini pineapple loaf, here's the recipe I've used for years that everyone loves.

I especially like to make them in 'mini muffin' size ~ my grandkids love to just 'pop' 'em in their mouth.....and since they're so small there's practically NO calories at all......

Here's my recipe (posted long, long ago in the recipe section)

I ended up with 4 dozen mini muffins and 9 regular size...just had to watch and adjust the baking time from 18 minutes for the mini's to about 27-28 minutes for the regular size.  I have a couple '2 dozen' non-stick mini muffin tins that I just spritz with PAM and they usually drop right out after baked.  No papers needed.

Zucchini Muffins

2 c. Zucchini, grated & squeezed dry
1 sm. can Crushed Pineapple, pulverized

3 Eggs
2 c. Sugar
1 tsp. Vanilla
1 c. Oil

Add zucchini & pineapple purée and mix well.

3 c. Flour
1 tsp. Baking Powder
1 tsp. Baking Soda
1 tsp. Salt
1 tsp. Cinnamon

Whisk dry ingredients together and the stir into wet mixture.

Bake at 350 degrees.

Optional ~ add chopped nuts. I like pecans or walnuts.

Mini muffins - 18-20 minutes
Muffins - 27-30 minutes

bethk

bethk
Admin

Lyn & I had a lovely day in Orlando. We had to wait a bit longer than usual for the car service but it wasn't bad.

We tried to talk ourselves into going to someplace 'different' for lunch but we both really wanted to go to our favorite, Seasons 52. So, wimps that we are, we both gave in and had a lovely lunch. Their menu is varied with the season and we've never been disappointed.

I had a soup/flat bread combination ~ a spiced bacon, roasted corn flatbread (they were nice enough to substitute the usual cheddar cheese for mozzarella) and a bowl of spring corn soup, a creamy (pulverized) corn soup with a sprinkle of bacon & chives. It was DELICIOUS! Lyn got a grilled chicken sandwich on chiabatta bun with pesto & buffalo mozzarella that came with a small salad.....and a cup of the corn soup.

We were both filled when we finished!

Many of their offerings are 'healthy' without tasting like you're being deprived of good food. They don't offer things like french fries ~ actually, I don't think they have anything deep fried on the menu, now that I think about it.

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

[size=18]DD made shrimp scampi....Then I had 2 anisette toast and a coffee.

bethk likes this post

Cookin Lore

I took what I thought were two small,  plain pork schnitzels out of my freezer, they turned out to be what you 'Mericans call "Canadian Bacon".............. and I had already made the sauerkraut to go along, and spiced the roasted potatoes.  So, it was salty, salty and spicy.  Ykes!  Not picture worthy, but belly was filled!

PS. Thanks for the recipe, Beth, but the chances of me actually making it are very very slim.. I am not a baker, nor do I generally eat baked goods.

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

No clue what to make. I vote for low carb pasta with diced zucchini and mushrooms.

bethk likes this post

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 5 of 7]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum