Cooking Friends
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Cooking Friends

Friends sharing recipes, cooking techniques & menu ideas in a friendly atmosphere.

You are not connected. Please login or register

September, 2022 ~ Who else is looking forward to the temperatures cooling a bit?

5 posters

Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 6]

bethk

bethk
Admin

Soup for supper tonight......cleaning out the vegetable drawer......

I do have some 'new-to-me' Louisiana sausage I picked up (BOGO) when I last got the andouille I like. I think it's got bacon & vidalia onions in it ~ different but I'm hoping it's tasty.

So I have a quart of my homemade chicken stock, a couple carrots, some onion, a stalk of celery and a lonely zucchini. Oh, I need to see if there's a can of cannelinni beans in the pantry.......and maybe I'll turn it into a 'cream-of' soup by adding a small can of evaporated milk (it doesn't break when it boils.....)

Maybe I'll make a run to the store later to get some fresh bread.......actually, toasted olive bread sounds perfect to go with a bowl of soup.

UNCLE JIMMY likes this post

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Soup sounds good Beth. Tina had a Dr visit this am. She is tired, so she is gonna
rest up for the rest of the day. There is plenty of food to eat without new cooking; so it will be whatever one wants.

bethk likes this post

bethk

bethk
Admin

I have a feeling I'll be making a lot of soups ~ It's the one meal he never seems to tire of and it's so easy to make, using whatever you have in the refrigerator & pantry.  the proteins are interchangeable......tonight I'm using some sort of smoked sausage (two little links is enough for a whole pot of soup) and other times I'll just add canned beans.

I also like that I can prep everything and it's really not much effort to cook....brown the sausage, add the aromatics & pepper flakes to just soften, add the rest of the veg, canned tomatoes & browned sausage ~ then the broth & bring it to a boil.

When the vegetables are just tender you can add the kale or bitter greens (if using) and just let it simmer until it's time to eat.  You know me, I love kale ~ it holds up in soups & casseroles and can even be frozen without turning to mush.

And the reason I have SO many pics is so my DD's can take a look and have a reference on how I make things when they can't come up with an idea for their supper. (DD#2, especially, needs visual assistance for many things she's not made much.)

September, 2022 ~ Who else is looking forward to the temperatures cooling a bit? 09_01_14

September, 2022 ~ Who else is looking forward to the temperatures cooling a bit? 09_01_15

September, 2022 ~ Who else is looking forward to the temperatures cooling a bit? 09_01_17

September, 2022 ~ Who else is looking forward to the temperatures cooling a bit? 09_01_18

September, 2022 ~ Who else is looking forward to the temperatures cooling a bit? 09_01_19

September, 2022 ~ Who else is looking forward to the temperatures cooling a bit? 09_01_20

September, 2022 ~ Who else is looking forward to the temperatures cooling a bit? 09_01_21

bethk

bethk
Admin

OK, so here's the final product......

No more pictures ~ ~ I PROMISE!

LOL

September, 2022 ~ Who else is looking forward to the temperatures cooling a bit? 09_01_22

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

bethk wrote:OK, so here's the final product......

No more pictures ~ ~ I PROMISE!

LOL

September, 2022 ~ Who else is looking forward to the temperatures cooling a bit? 09_01_22

September, 2022 ~ Who else is looking forward to the temperatures cooling a bit? 4056093967 September, 2022 ~ Who else is looking forward to the temperatures cooling a bit? 940422454

bethk likes this post

bethk

bethk
Admin

I have some boneless pork ribs (aka: pork shoulder pieces) thawing in the refrigerator.

I think I'll braise them using the Ms. Tina method with potatoes & onions.......I have some of those baby potatoes that would be super easy to wash and then just toss in the cast iron skillet with the browned pork & chunks of onion.....

But, then again, I think pork with apples sounds good, too.

So, I'll have to mull it all over and come to a decision by later this afternoon.

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Beth, did you ever use those red cinnamon apples in the jar or can?
They go well with pork. Tina uses the sliced rings and syrup on a crown pork roast with the stuffing. I love those apples, and they go great with pork.

bethk likes this post

bethk

bethk
Admin

I decided to go with the braised pork with potatoes & onions......

OH ~ AND a small pan of fried apples that I'll sweeten/flavor with a few 'Red Hot' Cinnamon candies I keep in my pantry for just that purpose.

My mom used to get those jarred red cinnamon apple slices for our Christmas meal.  It was one of those "Once-A-Year" treats she like to have.

The little cinnamon red hot candies will melt as the apples cook down and will add just the right amount of cinnamon flavor!

September, 2022 ~ Who else is looking forward to the temperatures cooling a bit? 09_02_11

bethk

bethk
Admin

The pork with potatoes & onions was a hit. HE doesn't care for my fried apples so they were all mine (and I ate them all!).

September, 2022 ~ Who else is looking forward to the temperatures cooling a bit? 09_02_12

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

We had take out Chinese boneless pork ribs, and pork fried rice.
It was a treat for me being a good boy at the Dr's this morning.
The kids are coming back to their homes after a vacation at Long Beach Island, NJ.
Boy, they are lucky kids to have good grand parents.

bethk likes this post

bethk

bethk
Admin

No cooking here tonight.

Lyn called and asked if we want to meet for supper somewhere......

It would be rude to refuse............

LOL

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

I had a dozen shrimp  left over from 5 days ago, and one large plum tomato use up.
I decided to make a quick sauce and add the shrimp. It was great.

September, 2022 ~ Who else is looking forward to the temperatures cooling a bit? Img_2215

The kids ..... Aurora & Liam ..... They are really growing. Liam will be 6 in October, and the little one was 3 in May
They had a very relaxing week at the beach. Check out the little one, and how she is like a movie star on the beach....LOL
Smile

September, 2022 ~ Who else is looking forward to the temperatures cooling a bit? Resize15

September, 2022 ~ Who else is looking forward to the temperatures cooling a bit? Resize16September, 2022 ~ Who else is looking forward to the temperatures cooling a bit? Resize18

bethk likes this post

bethk

bethk
Admin

Jimmy, the kids are getting SO big!!! It seems like yesterday Liam was a baby.....

Super cute pics!

bethk

bethk
Admin

I went out to the garage freezer to open the door and play, "I SPY !!!"

First thing I saw was a jar of marinara on the door shelf ~ so that came in the kitchen.

Then I had to find a chicken breast in the kitchen freezer.....I know I saw a lonely one in a baggie......WHERE DID I SEE IT???

Oh, that's right ~ neatly tucked next to the top rack so I could find it.

So, tonight will be chicken parm ~ or a rendition of something that resembles chicken parm ~ well, let's say I'll have pasta, chicken and marinara.....and probably some cheese......

I might name it "Sunday Spectacular" or something even more interesting.....

I know!

SUNDAY SURPRISE!!!

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

The kids are coming to celebrate Labor Day.... BB
Burgers, Hot dogs, Brats, Pork ribs cooked in the oven at 250 F  foil pan; covered for 4 hours or so.Tina made a pan of brownies, and Maria is picking up apple pies from the local farm.
We love the pies from this farm by us ( Ort farms in Long Valley NJ ).

I edited this post, because I forgot to mention Tina made potato salad, AND macaroni salad, plus Jim Juniors special for him, elbows macaroni and sour cream. She also made a boiled chicken breasts, to make pulled BBQ chicken. We all know I will NOT even try it, and not even eat it. There is not one trace of "crispy"in that kind of chicken. It's like eating a mop head that cleans the floor, but soaked in chicken soup. yuck* September, 2022 ~ Who else is looking forward to the temperatures cooling a bit? 411572088

bethk likes this post

bethk

bethk
Admin

Chicken Parm for supper......

September, 2022 ~ Who else is looking forward to the temperatures cooling a bit? 09_04_17

bethk

bethk
Admin

From Lore:

"Dinner Tonight. I have not made anything picture worthy for a few days. This, I think Is worthy! Beef rib, only brushed with a bit of oil, then spiced with a spice/pepper Spice blend from a local restaurant Then a hassle back potato and carrots and peas with a honey, cayenne and thyme glaze."

September, 2022 ~ Who else is looking forward to the temperatures cooling a bit? 09_04_18

bethk and UNCLE JIMMY like this post

bethk

bethk
Admin

Yesterday morning I pulled a 5# beef rib roast out of the freezer to thaw in the refrigerator. I thought after 2 days (yesterday & today) it would be thawed.......nope.

So, Plan B:

I just thawed a container of chili and I have stuff prepped for the flatbreads I made a few weeks ago that HE enjoyed.

Maybe my beef will be thawed by tomorrow........

Cookin Lore

Thanks again, Beth. Hopefully one day I'll figure it out myself. I haven't felt like cooking much, been nibblig stuff for a few days. That beef rib was sooooo good!

I have some large shrimp defrosting, gonna put them on skewers and do them on my grill. I have not used that much since I learned to, love the airfry feature in my oven. Think I'll mare a lentil salad to go with them.

I've been busy planning/organizing an event in my building for this Friday. First planned event since 2019! We had a dinner planned for March 19, 2000, sold tickets, and then COVID reared its ugly head and shut everything down. So, now we're just having basically a meet and greet kind of thing, we provide finger foods, coffee, tea and the space.

Our social committee of 5 is down to a committee of two, my neighbour and me, because of illness in the last two years, and I will definitely appeal for help for future events.

bethk

bethk
Admin

It takes so little time for these thin flatbreads to bake in a 450° convection oven......We ended up eating earlier than I anticipated. And I've got a second flatbread to stash in the refrigerator for HIM to have for his lunch a couple days this week (you all know how I feel about leftovers......I'll leave it for him even though it was really tasty).

HE got the bowl of chili. I had gone out for brunch with Lyn and really didn't want anything more than the flatbread.....pizza with a super thin, crispy crust and no sauce.....just the toppings we love: green olives, onions & spicy bacon.

To each his own!

September, 2022 ~ Who else is looking forward to the temperatures cooling a bit? 09_05_16

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Well, our bellies are full now! We had fish for a change. I had cod, and Tina had flounder; cooked in a butter wine sauce.
Macaroni salad, and then apple pie for dessert. That was supper.

bethk likes this post

bethk

bethk
Admin

From Lore:

"Dinner Tonight. Lentil salad with corn, olives, red pepper, parsley and oil,salt/pepper shrimp sautéed in ghee with garlic, thyme and a lovely garlic Masala! Yumm!"

September, 2022 ~ Who else is looking forward to the temperatures cooling a bit? 09_05_17

bethk

bethk
Admin

My rib roast is thawed......so it's sitting, uncovered & salted in the refrigerator to let the salt do it's magic and allowing the meat to air dry before it goes into the oven to roast.

And, 'unlucky me', it's even hotter outside than it was yesterday.

But, the roast is thawed and I have no choice but to roast it. I considered using the gas grill but I don't think I can regulate the temperature as much as I want to. So, in the oven it will go!

bethk

bethk
Admin

I've got the 5# Rib Roast in the oven searing.....have it sitting on a little rack on a quarter sheet pan. My oven isn't as dirty as it looks in these pictures....honest!

I just finished the sides to go with our supper.....corn, red beets & mashed potatoes ~ and there's some cucumber/onion salad in the refrigerator.

Just a regular old Tuesday night meal.............

September, 2022 ~ Who else is looking forward to the temperatures cooling a bit? 09_06_14

September, 2022 ~ Who else is looking forward to the temperatures cooling a bit? 09_06_15

September, 2022 ~ Who else is looking forward to the temperatures cooling a bit? 09_06_16

bethk

bethk
Admin

I almost had a moment of sheer terror......I pulled my Thermapen thermometer out of the drawer and opened it and it DIDN'T come on!

NOOOOOOOOOOoooooo!  NOT TODAY!!!

We recently changed the batteries and I've used it in the last week or so ~ and I really do depend on it when I'm making something like tonight's rib roast.

So I handed it to Dane and asked him to check it over ~ he's pretty 'magic' when it comes to 'coming-to-my-rescue' in times like this.

He just took the batteries out and reinserted them and ~ VIOLA!  It WORKS!!!

Phew !!!

I can usually figure out the temperature of a nice thick steak on the grill by pressing it with my finger but a roast of beef needs a good thermometer for me to get it cooked the way we like it.

It's cooking a bit faster than I anticipated so I've turned back the temperature of the oven and I'll check it in another half hour when I plan to take it out to rest for a good 30 minutes or so.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 6]

Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum