Cooking Friends
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Cooking Friends

Friends sharing recipes, cooking techniques & menu ideas in a friendly atmosphere.

You are not connected. Please login or register

July, 2023! Happy Canada Day for us, let's start that outside summer cooking!

+3
UNCLE JIMMY
bethk
Cookin Lore
7 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Go down  Message [Page 4 of 7]

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

It was supposed to be split pea soup. It never happened, but Tina will make it for tomorrow.
Instead, we had rotelli with jar sauce ( Newman's ) roasted garlic, but was terrible tasting.
It was like they burnt the garlic during process. Burnt garlic can never be hidden.
Oh Well. Can't win them all....
We each had an Friendly's ice cream sandwich for dessert.

bethk likes this post

Cookin Lore

UNCLE JIMMY wrote:
Cookin Lore wrote:If you use a potato pancake mix,  are there potato flakes?  maybe they would have been easier to use than grating my own.  Hated that.  
Yeah Lore. They are actually dried potato granules. The final is like a farina or polenta. Fried in just a coating of oil in a large pan slow and till browned and crunchy on the outside. God love Tina. She ate the last 4 that were left over. Rolling Eyes
She gets them in the Kosher section of the store.
Actually, when we are in the mood to make them, and that's after getting up off our butts to prep them, hahahaha ......we actually grate the potatoes, coarse like hash browns, and onions, then squeeze the excess water out through a clean towel. Add flour and egg, and fry them till crispy edges and browned on both sides. Would you believe, I had my share last night, but I am still wishing for more. Laughing

In the early years after we were married, I hand grated those blasted spuds.  Did my knuckles a few times, and then the wonderful invention called a food processor came into my life.  My taste for the pancakes also increased a bit, when I figured out that I could put cheese or ketchup on them instead of the sugar my hubby liked.  

And, regarding the instant potatoes, some years ago we had a customer in our fireplace shop, Dr. Edward Asselbergs.  He drove up to the shop in a VERY nice Mercedes that I saw through our large window.  I commented on it and he said "That's what instant mashed potatoes got me, and there's another one in my garage for my wife." Apparently he invented them.

Last edited by Cookin Lore on Fri Jul 14, 2023 8:44 pm; edited 1 time in total

UNCLE JIMMY likes this post

NormM

NormM

I just noticed that the last time I posted it was ten days ago and it was spare ribs. Today I did baby back ribs. It's not that I haven't done any cooking between then and not, it just wasn't anything I bothered to take picture with. One was chili, one was sandwiches made with deli cold cuts and croissants, One was KFC and I don't even remember what else. July, 2023!  Happy Canada Day for us, let's start that outside summer cooking! - Page 4 Img_1017

bethk and UNCLE JIMMY like this post

http://r2j1cp@gmail.com

bethk

bethk
Admin

I had a thawed chicken breast.....cut it across into a couple cutlets. Seasoned with s&p, then patted on a tiny bit of flour ~ just enough to 'seal' the cutlets. HE got his 'plain' and mine got the same treatment and then, at the last moment, I drizzled about a tablespoon of the Peach BBQ Sauce on it and turned it a couple times in the hot skillet. It was just enough to make it interesting......

Fresh red beets got simmered for about an hour before slipping off the skins & cutting them. Heated with a bit of butter & s&p. Simple boiled potatoes along side.....

July, 2023!  Happy Canada Day for us, let's start that outside summer cooking! - Page 4 07_14_16

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Tina made the pea soup. It was good with the ham pieces and carrots minced.
She also made a beef veggie soup. That was tasty, but a little too salty for me.

bethk likes this post

bethk

bethk
Admin

Happy, HAPPY BIRTHDAY, NORM !!!!

I hope you get to eat cake ~ a cake you don't have to bake yourself......LOL

NormM

NormM

Thanks Beth.

bethk likes this post

http://r2j1cp@gmail.com

Cookin Lore

Happy Birthday, Norm, and many, many more!

Beth, your comment about beets reminds me of something. I went to visit a friend last week, had a lovely outdoor lunch, with BEETS! Now, I have probably said here, as I've said many times, beets just don't do anything for me. Lisa had made roasted squash, a spinach artichoke dish, and beets. She apologized for the overdone squash and beets, and I found that the overdone beets were delicious. I think the fact that they were, according to her, "ruined", intensified the flavour enough that I really liked them. As I took a fairly large second helping, she said "Well, look at that, I'm going to burn my food more often." Lol

bethk and NormM like this post

bethk

bethk
Admin

Cookin Lore wrote:Happy Birthday, Norm, and many, many more!

Beth, your comment about beets reminds me of something.  I went to visit a friend last week, had a lovely outdoor lunch, with BEETS!  Now, I have probably said here, as I've said many times, beets just don't do anything for me.  Lisa had made roasted squash, a spinach artichoke dish, and beets.  She apologized for the overdone squash and beets, and I found that the overdone beets were delicious.  I think the fact that they were, according to her, "ruined", intensified the flavour enough that I really liked them.  As I took a fairly large second helping, she said "Well, look at that, I'm going to burn my food more often." Lol

Yes, Lore ~ I agree. Last night I just simmered the beets, covered in salted water, for about an hour or until a knife inserted let me know they were done.

But my favorite is to scrub, put on foil, add just a tiny bit of oil and seal them up tight ~ put on a foil lined pan ~ and roast in the oven (any temperature), especially easy if you're already baking something for an hour or more. Even if you're not having them until a couple days later, they're at least roasted down to a really nice sweetness. And anytime you cook beets the skins just slip right off without any work. You could, of course, throw in a few cloves (or a whole head) of garlic in their skin, with the beets to be roasted. Think about adding that smushed roasted garlic to some butter to bathe your beets with.....

bethk

bethk
Admin

Today was a neighborhood Ladies' Lunch ~ 5 of us at the closest 'country club' (a nice bar/grill restaurant located at a large golf course). I had the same salad I always order there: A Chicken Nutty Berry Salad ~ comes with grilled chicken bits, blueberries & candied pecans ~ oh, and Feta if you're the type to want cheese. They make a really tasty apple cider vinegar vinegarette that is really tasty on it ~ and it's always served 'on-the-side'.

So, for supper, I wasn't in the mood for a large meal.

Meet "Snacky Supper".........

Buffalo Chicken Dip and Guacamole with little round tortilla chips.

I'm surprised HE thought it was a wonderful idea, too.

It's just too hot to deal with much cooking right now.

July, 2023!  Happy Canada Day for us, let's start that outside summer cooking! - Page 4 07_15_16

bethk

bethk
Admin

From Lore:

"Dinner Tonight. Lake Erie perch, crinkle cut potato and some red and yellow tomato slices with onion, parsley and feta. Yumm!"

July, 2023!  Happy Canada Day for us, let's start that outside summer cooking! - Page 4 07_15_17

bethk

bethk
Admin

Lake Erie Perch !!!

You KNOW how much I love, Love, LOVE LAKE ERIE PERCH !!!!

And you also know I can't get it in Florida. Nothing even close to that flavor.....

So, did Danny just happen to go out fishing and say, "Hey, Mom, would you like some of my excess fish? Just thought you'd like some....."

Go ahead,

Rub it in.........

That looks So Good!

(( sigh ))

Cookin Lore

bethk wrote:Lake Erie Perch !!!

You KNOW how much I love, Love, LOVE LAKE ERIE PERCH !!!!

And you also know I can't get it in Florida.  Nothing even close to that flavor.....

So, did Danny just happen to go out fishing and say, "Hey, Mom, would you like some of my excess fish?  Just thought you'd like some....."

Go ahead,

Rub it in.........

That looks So Good!

I (almost) feel guilty when I mention perch. And yes, I am very lucky, he always shares. Unfortunately, or maybe fortunately for me, his wife does not he enjoy his fish. She has some food issues. I did it in the oven, because I was tired from a very busy shift at thrift, and oven is easier than breading and frying. But, I do really like it very plain so I taste the fish and not all the breading around it.

((   sigh   ))

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

NormM wrote:Thanks Beth.  

Happy Birthday Norm. I'm right behind you. Laughing

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Had 1/2 a Philie cheesesteak and a bunch of jalapeño poppers that Tina made.
A strange thing, is that only 1 popper was spicey slightly hot. Very strange.

bethk likes this post

bethk

bethk
Admin

I finally had time to devote to breaking down my package of baby back ribs.

UNFORTUNATELY...........

They weren't baby back ribs. I must have been distracted.....

I have two racks of spareribs ~ still good flavor but with odd bits of fat and flap meat here & there. They will be fine for pork & sauerkraut but won't be nearly as nice for grilled ribs.

The most consistent half rack of the bunch will get treated as 'ribs' ~ I have them marinating in a small can of Coca Cola to help tenderize them. And since it's going to rain all day they will be done in the oven.

It is what it is an we'll still have a good meal.

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

[size=18]The kids are coming for dinner. "Roy Rogers" roast beef sandwiches. Yup!
Dug out the meat slicer.....the beef eye round is in the oven, and we will have French fries, and corn on the cob with it. Spaghetti for the kids. They won't eat roast beef. They are very fussy kids. They won't even eat chicken tenders anymore.

bethk likes this post

bethk

bethk
Admin

What is it about rainy days that just 'forces' you to cook?

I think I've spent way too much time in the kitchen ~ just putzing around with this & that.  I mentioned I had to break down the spareribs ~ trimmed the fat & multiple bits of silver skin and cut into meal sized slabs.  Got them wrapped and stashed in zip bags and into the freezer.

One of the half racks is about to be placed into the oven to braise and then brown up under the broiler to make the glaze all sticky & gooey.

And I made chicken stock.  The other day I went to the store and picked up a rotisserie chicken.  I didn't have plans for it except to make some chicken salad with grapes for my lunch for a couple days.  But I did pull the meat all off and stashed the skin & carcass into a container that I knew I would be using for chicken stock.  And today was that day. Oh, and I used some of the meat for the Buffalo Chicken Dip last night. HE likes to slice up the breast meat for a sandwich once in a while so that's where the last of it will be used.

The bones, etc. went into a pot with two leeks that I didn't have any real use for....they needed to be used before they went bad.  I had saved the center of a stalk of celery and it was getting wilty....along with a carrot that was a bit large and had a big split running down it ~ still good to boil up after trimming.  The only seasoning I added was about a tablespoon of salt.  The rest of the flavor came from the seasoning that was used on the rotisserie chicken.

I just strained the broth and had a chance to give it a good taste (yes, about 1/4 c. in a small container that I drank like a shot of vodka!  LOL).  It's REALLY good.  And it looks like I've got about a quart and a half.  It'll go into the refrigerator over night so I can spoon off the fat and then into containers and into the freezer for whenever I need it.

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

bethk wrote:What is it about rainy days that just 'forces' you to cook?

I think I've spent way too much time in the kitchen ~ just putzing around with this & that.  I mentioned I had to break down the spareribs ~ trimmed the fat & multiple bits of silver skin and cut into meal sized slabs.  Got them wrapped and stashed in zip bags and into the freezer.

One of the half racks is about to be placed into the oven to braise and then brown up under the broiler to make the glaze all sticky & gooey.

And I made chicken stock.  The other day I went to the store and picked up a rotisserie chicken.  I didn't have plans for it except to make some chicken salad with grapes for my lunch for a couple days.  But I did pull the meat all off and stashed the skin & carcass into a container that I knew I would be using for chicken stock.  And today was that day.  Oh, and I used some of the meat for the Buffalo Chicken Dip last night.  HE likes to slice up the breast meat for a sandwich once in a while so that's where the last of it will be used.

The bones, etc. went into a pot with two leeks that I didn't have any real use for....they needed to be used before they went bad.  I had saved the center of a stalk of celery and it was getting wilty....along with a carrot that was a bit large and had a big split running down it ~ still good to boil up after trimming.  The only seasoning I added was about a tablespoon of salt.  The rest of the flavor came from the seasoning that was used on the rotisserie chicken.

I just strained the broth and had a chance to give it a good taste (yes, about 1/4 c. in a small container that I drank like a shot of vodka!  LOL).  It's REALLY good.  And it looks like I've got about a quart and a half.  It'll go into the refrigerator over night so I can spoon off the fat and then into containers and into the freezer for whenever I need it.

You are so productive Beth..... Good re-purposing.

bethk

bethk
Admin

Spareribs instead of baby back ribs or St. Louis ribs.....not what I wanted ~ but what I got...

Air fried some zucchini & onions.

July, 2023!  Happy Canada Day for us, let's start that outside summer cooking! - Page 4 07_16_15

July, 2023!  Happy Canada Day for us, let's start that outside summer cooking! - Page 4 07_16_16

Cookin Lore

I had a fun day with friends, but nothing great to eat.  I finally took the headcheese that I made to friends Dora and Peter.  THey have a very large house, and a pool house where all the action is in the summer.  THey were there, one of their sons and his wife also there and another couple friends of theirs from Kentucky.   Had a glass of wine and a roast beef sandwich there. I've known Jeff and his wife also for over 50 years.  Then I went to a volunteer afternoon for the thrift shop where I had another bun, this time with pulled pork on it, and a bit of potato salad.   As I said, nothing exciting, but it was fun to see the people I volunteer with away from the job! At the volunteer event, there was something green that I think might have been coleslaw, but I've never seen cabbage that green so I didn't try it.

bethk and UNCLE JIMMY like this post

bethk

bethk
Admin

We're having a picnic tonight ~ a picnic at our dining table........

I just got done making some potato salad. I should come up with a vegetable but I think that's it for the meal.

A few days ago HE suggested purchasing fried chicken from Publix. Says HE'S a little tired of always having the rotisserie chickens. So, tonight will be fried chicken with no mess in my kitchen!

It surprised me he asked for that meal, usually he's very concerned with meals and the calorie count (although he's practically at his 'home-from-the-Army' weight). But, hey, if that's what he wants, who am I to criticize?

Next thing I know he's going to want Chicken Fried Steak with Mashed Potatoes & Cream Gravy.... LOL!

Cookin Lore

Cream gravy? What's that?

I bought some Bulgogi (SP???) beef at Costco yesterday. A container full that I divided into 4 meals, froze 3, and am making one for tonight. Will have it on top of egg noodles with some sprouts added. The sample in the store was really good, I hope I still like it.

bethk likes this post

bethk

bethk
Admin

Cookin Lore wrote:Cream gravy?  What's that?  

After you fry your breaded cubed steaks in a cast iron skillet you add a bit of the leftover flour used to bread the steaks to the fat to make a roux. Then you add milk (or cream if you have it) to make gravy. Season with salt and lots of pepper.

Cream gravy.....great on chicken fried steak, chicken fried chicken, mashed potatoes or biscuits.......

Unfortunately, I just need to think about it for about 10 minutes and I've gained 5 pounds! LOL

bethk

bethk
Admin

My picnic supper was a hit!

I picked up the chicken from the Publix Deli at about 4:30 and when I got home I put it on a rack on a foil lined sheet pan and put it into the toaster oven at 350/Convection for about 15 minutes. Not only did it reheat nicely but it got crispy and about 1/4 c. of oil drained off. Big win to me!

HE had gone through the green bean plants in the patio pots an picked enough beans for the two of us. That along with the potato salad I made this afternoon made for a very satisfying supper.

I'm just shocked it was HIS idea.

Oh, and this afternoon I was looking for something in the freezer and saw the little bag of Toll House Cookie Dough ~ DESSERT! There were just 8 little hunks of dough, just enough for one evening!

July, 2023!  Happy Canada Day for us, let's start that outside summer cooking! - Page 4 07_17_15

July, 2023!  Happy Canada Day for us, let's start that outside summer cooking! - Page 4 07_17_16

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 4 of 7]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum