Cooking Friends
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Cooking Friends

Friends sharing recipes, cooking techniques & menu ideas in a friendly atmosphere.

You are not connected. Please login or register

September 2023; What's Cooking ?

+2
Cookin Lore
UNCLE JIMMY
6 posters

Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 5]

1September 2023; What's Cooking ? Empty September 2023; What's Cooking ? Fri Sep 01, 2023 1:56 am

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Well.... for starters, I made breakfast. Fried Peppers and Onions and Mini Roman tomatoes & dollops of yellow Land o Lakes cheese, and melted in the broiler.

As far as the rest of the meals, that to be determined later. Question

bethk likes this post

2September 2023; What's Cooking ? Empty Re: September 2023; What's Cooking ? Fri Sep 01, 2023 9:45 am

Cookin Lore

Hello September! I love the cooler weather, the local farmers' markets etc. Going out this morning for one of my favs where they generally sell my favourite grapes, called Himrods. They are a very small, green seedless grape grown here by just a few farms.

bethk and UNCLE JIMMY like this post

3September 2023; What's Cooking ? Empty Re: September 2023; What's Cooking ? Fri Sep 01, 2023 6:26 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

No cooking tonight......

It's been "ONE-OF-THOSE-DAYS"

I picked up our mail today ~ it's delivered to a central location instead of at our home and we have to retrieve it during the hours they deem appropriate ~ which is inconvenient at best. But, I digress.....we received a notice that our homeowner's insurance will be cancelled on Labor Day if a sizeable check isn't received prior to 09-04-23.

Turns out our mortgage holder failed to pay the proper amount and it took me over 2 hours on the phone to convince the mortgage company of the problem and how it had to be taken care of TODAY. It amazes me how difficult some people can be ~ I tried my hardest to be civil but it wasn't easy.

I had to send copies of the original billing (that they had in their records but had failed to scan all the pages) and then explain and re-explain they read the bill incorrectly. Our home insurance and auto insurance is on the same policy and they paid the amount for our auto policy instead of the (larger) home owner's insurance policy. It really is quite clear IF YOU HAVE ALL THE PAGES but some idiot decided the 'back' of page one wasn't necessary to scan and they only had Page 1 and Page 3....... (( sigh ))

So, if another hurricane happens between now and September 5th, I may be $hit outta luck.....

I hate problems.

I don't want anything to eat...........

I'm drinking Scotch and with any luck I'll just pass out and sleep all night...........

UNCLE JIMMY likes this post

4September 2023; What's Cooking ? Empty Re: September 2023; What's Cooking ? Fri Sep 01, 2023 6:31 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

Neighbor Jim stopped by this afternoon to tell me the salad dressing I made and gave him with some leftover salad greens was "THE-BEST-HE'S-EVER-HAD". He wanted to know what brand it was.

He looked at me like I was from Mars when I told him I made it.......

So, while he sat at my kitchen counter I made another batch for him:

Mayo, Vinegar Syrup, Dry Mustard, Worstershire Sauce, Hot Sauce and s&p......mixed it up and poured it into a spare glass jar.

He was thrilled.

It takes so little to make that man happy.............

LOL

5September 2023; What's Cooking ? Empty Re: September 2023; What's Cooking ? Fri Sep 01, 2023 7:26 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

bethk wrote:No cooking tonight......

It's been "ONE-OF-THOSE-DAYS"

I picked up our mail today ~ it's delivered to a central location instead of at our home and we have to retrieve it during the hours they deem appropriate ~ which is inconvenient at best.  But, I digress.....we received a notice that our homeowner's insurance will be cancelled on Labor Day if a sizeable check isn't received prior to 09-04-23.  

Turns out our mortgage holder failed to pay the proper amount and it took me over 2 hours on the phone to convince the mortgage company of the problem and how it had to be taken care of TODAY.  It amazes me how difficult some people can be ~ I tried my hardest to be civil but it wasn't easy.

I had to send copies of the original billing (that they had in their records but had failed to scan all the pages) and then explain and re-explain they read the bill incorrectly.  Our home insurance and auto insurance is on the same policy and they paid the amount for our auto policy instead of the (larger) home owner's insurance policy.  It really is quite clear IF YOU HAVE ALL THE PAGES but some idiot decided the 'back' of page one wasn't necessary to scan and they only had Page 1 and Page 3.......    ((  sigh  ))

So, if another hurricane happens between now and September 5th, I may be $hit outta luck.....

I hate problems.

I don't want anything to eat...........

I'm drinking Scotch and with any luck I'll just pass out and sleep all night...........

September 2023; What's Cooking ? 2787578702 I went through the same bull crap when we re - fi'd. The Liberty Mutual didn't know until I got a nasty letter that I was not insured. Long story short, The loan people forgot to submit it to the Ins. company. September 2023; What's Cooking ? 1450907917

bethk likes this post

6September 2023; What's Cooking ? Empty Re: September 2023; What's Cooking ? Fri Sep 01, 2023 7:30 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Pizza tonight. Jimmy Jr, and DIL went to pick it up.

I got a slice of anchovy and onions in a separate box.....

bethk likes this post

7September 2023; What's Cooking ? Empty Re: September 2023; What's Cooking ? Fri Sep 01, 2023 8:45 pm

Cookin Lore

Went to a local farmers' market for veggies. They had pizza "Pieces" So I picked one up. Had half for lunch cold. Then went to my volunteering job. I love that. At the end of my shift I met some of my neighbours in a room at the top of my building called the Observation Deck. We have a sort of TAPPAS going Friday afternoons. People bring stuff, everyone brings their own drinks, fun evening.

Now I'm re heating some of the lunch pizza.

8September 2023; What's Cooking ? Empty Re: September 2023; What's Cooking ? Sat Sep 02, 2023 6:44 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

Since HE is still cooking eggs for his supper I decided to pick up a meal from my favorite Chinese restaurant.

So I had wonton soup, an egg roll and Chicken Cashew Nut with vegetables. It was too much for one meal so possibly I'll reheat it for a lunch later this week.

9September 2023; What's Cooking ? Empty Re: September 2023; What's Cooking ? Sat Sep 02, 2023 7:27 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

I had a tomato, cheese and ham on Daves 21 grain bread.

bethk likes this post

10September 2023; What's Cooking ? Empty Re: September 2023; What's Cooking ? Sun Sep 03, 2023 10:40 am

bethk

bethk
Admin

HE'S going to be cooking eggs for a few more days....wish he could figure out what his digestive problems are caused by....

So, I'll 'wing it' and come up with something for myself.

Tomorrow we've been invited to Lyn's for an impromptu burger/salad ''Ladies' Get-Together'' ~ HE opted out but said I should go and have a good time.  I think I'll make the Mediterranean Salad without the chicken because it's something I know everyone will enjoy.  Plus it's super easy.  Plus, leftovers are good the next day.  Plus, I have everything in the refrigerator.........  LOL

11September 2023; What's Cooking ? Empty Re: September 2023; What's Cooking ? Sun Sep 03, 2023 1:28 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

OK, so just an observation.....

The news of Jimmy Buffet's passing was something no one was expecting. Usually when there is such news it's mentioned a couple times and then everyone moves on.

Apparently Jimmy Buffet was loved by millions because I see mention of memories, pictures, references to all he quietly did without looking for recognition.

And, yes, I'm sad, too. He was only 76. That's too close to home not to be noticed by us.

Kinda scary.

12September 2023; What's Cooking ? Empty Re: September 2023; What's Cooking ? Sun Sep 03, 2023 3:23 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

I have two racks of ribs cooking in the gas grill on low heat. We will also have
a London broil...... Potato salad that Tina made, and apple pie and cookies from the local farm
in Long Valley.

bethk likes this post

13September 2023; What's Cooking ? Empty Re: September 2023; What's Cooking ? Sun Sep 03, 2023 8:04 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

Nothing much sounded good to me tonight.

I finally mashed up an avocado and had it with a handful of chips.

14September 2023; What's Cooking ? Empty Re: September 2023; What's Cooking ? Mon Sep 04, 2023 7:51 am

bethk

bethk
Admin

From Lore:

"Dinner Tonight. I had some frozen bulgogi beef from Costco. Fried up some mushrooms, onion and tomatoes in a pan then did the beef, combined them and served over some egg noodles. Soooo good!"

September 2023; What's Cooking ? 09_03_15

15September 2023; What's Cooking ? Empty Re: September 2023; What's Cooking ? Mon Sep 04, 2023 9:49 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

I ate chicken; believe it or not. Tina pulled out a pack of breast / skinless / boneless.

She Breaded with panko bread crumbs, and fried them after I thinly sliced them. and they came out very crispy, just the way I like them. We had leftover potato salad and a garden salad with lots of tomatoes'.
I told Tina, "Not bad for a Monday Meal!" .....

bethk likes this post

16September 2023; What's Cooking ? Empty Re: September 2023; What's Cooking ? Mon Sep 04, 2023 10:57 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

From Lore:

"Dinner Tonight. Pork tenderloin,pepper, onion on skewers; potato slices, and tomato with oil, onion, parsley and feta. Yumm!"

September 2023; What's Cooking ? 09_04_19

September 2023; What's Cooking ? 09_04_20

17September 2023; What's Cooking ? Empty Re: September 2023; What's Cooking ? Tue Sep 05, 2023 12:40 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

No clue of what to eat yet. We woke up, and looked at each other like two stupid's
trying to pound the square peg into the round hole.....

bethk likes this post

18September 2023; What's Cooking ? Empty Re: September 2023; What's Cooking ? Tue Sep 05, 2023 1:40 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

I had to head to my insurance office this morning to get the cancellation of homeowners' insurance reinstated.....I knew the payment from the mortgage company wouldn't be there by this morning.

So, I explained to the agent what the problem was and suggested I just pay the amount via my credit card ~ I just wanted to be sure once the mortgage company did send payment I'd be able to get a credit on my credit card. My agent assured me when the over payment was made then the insurance company would issue a refund check. Not surprisingly, this sort of thing happens quite often.

So, our home is again covered against any loss that might befall us in the near future.

I had difficulty sleeping for the last couple nights.....sure that it was this problem weighing on my mind......nightmares about fire, flood and a giant sinkhole swallowing up our home.........

(( sigh ))

19September 2023; What's Cooking ? Empty Re: September 2023; What's Cooking ? Tue Sep 05, 2023 2:52 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

bethk wrote:I had to head to my insurance office this morning to get the cancellation of homeowners' insurance reinstated.....I knew the payment from the mortgage company wouldn't be there by this morning.  

So, I explained to the agent what the problem was and suggested I just pay the amount via my credit card ~ I just wanted to be sure once the mortgage company did send payment I'd be able to get a credit on my credit card.  My agent assured me when the over payment was made then the insurance company would issue a refund check.  Not surprisingly, this sort of thing happens quite often.

So, our home is again covered against any loss that might befall us in the near future.

I had difficulty sleeping for the last couple nights.....sure that it was this problem weighing on my mind......nightmares about fire, flood and a giant sinkhole swallowing up our home.........

((   sigh   ))
Thank God it's back on track....
pale

bethk likes this post

20September 2023; What's Cooking ? Empty Re: September 2023; What's Cooking ? Tue Sep 05, 2023 6:45 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

Lyn had invited a few of us to her house for a 'kitchen cook-out' yesterday ~ burgers & hotdogs cooked on her indoor grill. It was a nice small group of good friends.

I made the Mediterranean Salad to take because I know it's a salad she really enjoys.

And, oddly enough, I had more than would fit in a container so the 'leftovers' got eaten tonight with the addition of a sauteed chicken breast.

And, yes........HE had eggs (( again )).

September 2023; What's Cooking ? 09_05_18

21September 2023; What's Cooking ? Empty Re: September 2023; What's Cooking ? Tue Sep 05, 2023 9:33 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

From Lore:

"Dinner Stuffed pepper, yellow gold potato half, lettuce, onion, tomato salad with simple oil, lemon, salt and pepper dressing."

September 2023; What's Cooking ? 09_05_19

22September 2023; What's Cooking ? Empty Re: September 2023; What's Cooking ? Tue Sep 05, 2023 10:10 pm

JanaAZ

I had a taste for gyros but didn’t feel like making the meat. Someone told me costcos gyro meat was good so I decided to,try it. It was very good So our dinner was gyros with onions tomato cabbage homemade pickles and homemade tzatziki. On the side was Mexican corn salad and potato salad. Gotta use the leftovers somehow.

September 2023; What's Cooking ? Img_9510

23September 2023; What's Cooking ? Empty Re: September 2023; What's Cooking ? Tue Sep 05, 2023 11:08 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Had chicken soup and salad greens, and corn on the cobb.
Blue bunny ice cream cones for dessert.

bethk likes this post

24September 2023; What's Cooking ? Empty Re: September 2023; What's Cooking ? Wed Sep 06, 2023 10:09 am

Cookin Lore

bethk wrote:From Lore:

"Dinner Stuffed pepper, yellow gold potato half, lettuce, onion, tomato salad with simple oil, lemon, salt  and pepper dressing."

September 2023; What's Cooking ? 09_05_19

Thanks again, as always, Beth. The potato here is a "Yellow Gold" not a Yukon Gold. I have been reluctant to buy them, because Yukons are my favourite, and the Yellow Gold I first tried was watery. This one was fabulous. New from a local farmers' market. And huge. I was used to seeing gold coloured potatoes both from my childhood in Germany, but mainly from our many trips there. THe most common potatoes in Germany (and I understand in much of Europe) are yellow fleshed and quite small. And the most wonderful part of the potatoes in Germany is that they don't turn grey when sitting after peeling/cutting.

Yukons were not developed in the Yukon, but by the University of Guelph, Ontario, only about 100 Km from where I live. And they are soooooooo yummy!

25September 2023; What's Cooking ? Empty Re: September 2023; What's Cooking ? Wed Sep 06, 2023 3:08 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Just regular hot dogs for tonight. Just mustard and minced onions on a regular hot dog bun. I am going to steam the hot dogs this time...... We find that, Boiled / steamed, / fried / broiled / grilled, and microwaved, all taste different. One thing though, is we always use all beef hot dogs.
September 2023; What's Cooking ? 266346835

bethk likes this post

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 5]

Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum