Cooking Friends
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Cooking Friends

Friends sharing recipes, cooking techniques & menu ideas in a friendly atmosphere.

You are not connected. Please login or register

July, 2023! Happy Canada Day for us, let's start that outside summer cooking!

+3
UNCLE JIMMY
bethk
Cookin Lore
7 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Go down  Message [Page 6 of 7]

bethk

bethk
Admin

We went to supper at Coastal Del Mar ~ a seafood place that's really close to our house. It's a bit 'up scale' so we don't go often but the food and service is always top notch.

One time I ordered their calamari salad ~ got 3 calamari rings on a very nice salad.....just not enough calamari to suite me. So, tonight I ordered the calamari appetizer with a side of fries as my 'main' ~ and it WAY TOO MUCH calamari to eat. I was stuffed.

And, of course, I didn't think to take a pic until after I was done! I'm so bad.........

July, 2023!  Happy Canada Day for us, let's start that outside summer cooking! - Page 6 07_22_13

Imelda HL likes this post

Cookin Lore

And, I think that it is absolutely a sign that your food was so good, you forget to take a picture? I am making something with lamb that I took out of the freezer on Tuesday................. Then son called and invited me out, then something happened, then last night I went out with my niece......................... So today, even though I am exhausted from other "stuff" I said I gotta do something with this lamb, and the very expensive chanterelle mushrooms I bought, or throw it all out tomorrow. So, stay tuned for what the end result is.

bethk likes this post

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Corn on the cobb today, and a tomato salad. Possibly a hot dog is in order. We shall see.

bethk likes this post

JanaAZ

Girls weekend is over. One of the girls had a death in the family so she had to cancel last minute as I’m getting older, I’ve cut down the number of people I invite. So much work setting up rooms and beds for a lot of people.

So for lunch we had a taco salad with fruit for dessert July, 2023!  Happy Canada Day for us, let's start that outside summer cooking! - Page 6 Img_9311
July, 2023!  Happy Canada Day for us, let's start that outside summer cooking! - Page 6 Img_9312

For dinner we had tapas which included Spanish meatballs on crystal bread, bruschetta w fig jam and prosciutto, charcuterie board, stuffed dates and cheese sausage and olives with Spanish almond cake for dessert. Sorry I forgot to take pic of almond cake but that’s ok…I,didn’t love it

July, 2023!  Happy Canada Day for us, let's start that outside summer cooking! - Page 6 Img_9316

And for brunch this morning, I had several kinds of pastry and a ham cheese spinach strata.

July, 2023!  Happy Canada Day for us, let's start that outside summer cooking! - Page 6 Img_9315
July, 2023!  Happy Canada Day for us, let's start that outside summer cooking! - Page 6 Img_9314

Now I’m exhausted. No cooking for me for a few days.

bethk, NormM, UNCLE JIMMY and Imelda HL like this post

bethk

bethk
Admin

fabulous! Bet everyone had a wonderful weekend!

JanaAZ

bethk wrote:fabulous!  Bet everyone had a wonderful weekend!

We did. And if you saw the FB post, we made “friendship plants” mi always have some activity. Sometimes it’s a concert or a class of some sort. This time we decorated clay,pots.

bethk and UNCLE JIMMY like this post

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

The corn and the tomato salad never happened. Tina sent DD to get me eggplant and a garden salad.
She feels bad that she isn't here to cook for me. She is at her Uncles taking care of orders and hospice
workers that are keeping Uncle comfortable after the stroke he had.

bethk likes this post

bethk

bethk
Admin

When you speak with Tina please tell her I'm sending good thoughts and prayers for her uncle ~ and willing HER to have strength. This must be so wearing on her. I hope she doesn't over-do and get over worked.

Like I said, prayers for all......

UNCLE JIMMY likes this post

bethk

bethk
Admin

It was hot (big surprise, huh?) so I had intended to 'bake' chicken wings on a rack over an empty foil pan on the gas grill. But then the rains started ~ hard rain! So, plan 'B' was implemented and wasn't bad because the rain and cloud cover brought the temperature down to 78° ~ so it was wings in the oven.

I used the traditional Frank's Buffalo Wing sauce on them. Made some creamed corn since I had 2 ears of corn in the vegetable drawer.

July, 2023!  Happy Canada Day for us, let's start that outside summer cooking! - Page 6 07_23_14

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

bethk wrote:When you speak with Tina please tell her I'm sending good thoughts and prayers for her uncle ~ and willing HER to have strength.  This must be so wearing on her.  I hope she doesn't over-do and get over worked.

Like I said, prayers for all......

Thanks Beth. Yeah, it takes a toll on her, but she is holding up.
She is losing weight with all she is involved in; but she is happy about that for sure. LOL

bethk likes this post

Cookin Lore

Yes, prayers for all from me too. My 90 year old Uncle Ernie is also having some issues. He wanted to go visit in Germany (he still has two older brothers there) Ordered a ticket, then he had a message from what he thought was the airline (Lufthansa) and gave his cc again, and ended up with two tickets. In the meantime he was not feeling well, and wanted to cancel his ticket, and the booking agency, a discount type, is not co-operating. I'm afraid he tries to save money in the wrong spots.

He has travelled a lot and generally did his own booking, but now I think he should have gone to a travel agency.

He did a similar thing last fall with reserving a house in Florida when his niece and hubby came from Germany for the 90th. b-day party. Booked it through rent by owner, then he cancelled it because of the impending hurricane. Sorry, the rental agency said, our house was in perfectly good shape, you cancelled, we didn't. And he lost $5,000.

bethk

bethk
Admin

It's been a miserable, overcast, rainy day......just not nice at all.

I couldn't think of anything to cook so I went 'freezer diving' and came up with a container of bean soup......rainy days just seem right for soup.

So, bean soup & crackers. HE got a grilled cheese sandwich to go with HIS.

July, 2023!  Happy Canada Day for us, let's start that outside summer cooking! - Page 6 07_24_16

bethk

bethk
Admin

From Lore:

"Dinner Found a package of a bread mix called a jalapeño beer bread using a particular flour. ARVO flour. So of course I bought one and baked it today. Apparently this ARVO flour mill is one of the oldest mills in continuous operation for almost two hundred years.
My picture is some ribs, a small cucumber and onion salad, and a slice of the bread.

Mill is near London, Ontario, an easy day trip for me, o I’m planning to take 90 year old uncle Ernie there soon. He was a miller when he was young. Should be interesting for him. And me!"

July, 2023!  Happy Canada Day for us, let's start that outside summer cooking! - Page 6 07_25_17

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

No clue as to what to make today.
There are two pork steaks to braise. We shall see.

bethk likes this post

bethk

bethk
Admin

I was clueless of what to fix for supper. I knew it was going to rain so grilling was out of the question. But before it started to rain I went to the store to see if I could find some inspiration.

Nothing looked like anything I wanted.....but then I saw the chicken thighs on sale. Ehhhh ~ why not?

I ended up removing the bone and excess fat but left the skin on. I let them sit in the refrigerator seasoned with s&p for an hour or so. Then I put them skin side down in a cold non-stick skillet, turned it on to medium and put a cast iron skillet (wrapped in foil so I didn't have to wash it) on top to weigh everything down in the skillet. Did not add any oil, just let it render off the fat from the chicken skin. The skin got crispy from being smashed in the skillet.

I wanted to get enough fond as I could to make gravy ~ and it worked!

Made simple boiled potatoes and petite peas to go along side.....

No complaints were heard!

July, 2023!  Happy Canada Day for us, let's start that outside summer cooking! - Page 6 07_25_18

NormM and UNCLE JIMMY like this post

bethk

bethk
Admin

From Lore:

"Dinner Tonight. Blackened (by accident) ocean perch, a mango, avocado, corn salsa and roasted fingerling potatoes."

July, 2023!  Happy Canada Day for us, let's start that outside summer cooking! - Page 6 07_25_19

bethk, UNCLE JIMMY and Imelda HL like this post

bethk

bethk
Admin

I had the opportunity to go out to a late lunch with Lyn today so there's no cooking for me tonight.

HE wants to make himself a couple eggs & bacon ~ sounds perfect to me!

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

I had no lunch today, but that's ok. Tina is picking me up two burgers and a small fries from Mac d's, on her way home from her uncle's. ..... I found a new taste fir burgers and fries. Instead of ketchup. I use Golds cocktail sauce. WOW!...... it really kicks it up a couple notches.

bethk likes this post

Cookin Lore

I made a small piece of sirloin, Hasselback potato and a tomato/cuc salad last night.  Not picture worthy. Oh, just remembered, I made a mushroom sauce with the Chanterelle mushrooms I found a few days ago. Yumm!

bethk likes this post

bethk

bethk
Admin

I thawed some fish ~ grouper for me, salmon for HIM.

Grilled it on the gas grill. Love that the smell isn't in the house forever. I reheated some leftover vegetables and added a couple golf ball sized potatoes.....oh, and a BLT Salad. Supper didn't create any complaints!

July, 2023!  Happy Canada Day for us, let's start that outside summer cooking! - Page 6 07_27_15

UNCLE JIMMY and Imelda HL like this post

NormM

NormM

Charlie is leaving early tomorrow with some friends who will spend the night. They are going on a float trip in the Ozarks. I fed then with an extra large dish of shrimp, pasta, onions. sun dried tomatoes in a cream sauce.July, 2023!  Happy Canada Day for us, let's start that outside summer cooking! - Page 6 Img_1019

http://r2j1cp@gmail.com

bethk

bethk
Admin

From Lore:

"Dinner Tonight. Salad of lettuce, red pepper, tomato and actually a yellow beet. I am not fond of beets, but I thought maybe cold, in a salad they would be ok. I was right. And any salad topped with all those yummy marinated sea creatures must be good! I was right."

July, 2023!  Happy Canada Day for us, let's start that outside summer cooking! - Page 6 07_27_16

JanaAZ

I have so much stuff clogging up my freezer and today I didn’t want to cook, so I took out a deep dish I made while ago. Love it July, 2023!  Happy Canada Day for us, let's start that outside summer cooking! - Page 6 Img_9317

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

I made shells pasta with caramelized onions and small white beans.
Tina's Uncle found his way home today at 4:15 PM ; peacefully. and in no pain.
Tina came home and was so tired, she could hardly stand up.......

bethk and Imelda HL like this post

bethk

bethk
Admin

UNCLE JIMMY wrote:I made shells pasta with caramelized onions and small white beans.
Tina's Uncle found his way home today at 4:15 PM ; peacefully. and in no pain.
Tina came home and was so tired, she could hardly stand up.......

Deepest sympathy to Ms. Tina ~ she is a most dedicated niece and a wonderful caregiver to her beloved uncle. He is at rest now.

Prayers and good thoughts coming your way.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 6 of 7]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum