Cooking Friends
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Cooking Friends

Friends sharing recipes, cooking techniques & menu ideas in a friendly atmosphere.

You are not connected. Please login or register

July, 2023! Happy Canada Day for us, let's start that outside summer cooking!

+3
UNCLE JIMMY
bethk
Cookin Lore
7 posters

Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 7]

Cookin Lore

July 1, our National Holiday here in the north. Unfortunately I don't have any outside cooking area, but I'm sure you "Mericans have big plans for July 4!

bethk and UNCLE JIMMY like this post

bethk

bethk
Admin

Today is the 'last supper' for me to cook for the kids. They had no requests so I suggested chicken or steak ~ (a no brainer.....) and steak was selected.

So I went over to Sam's Club and picked up a package of 3 nice 'choice' ribeyes ~ was $32 and a sign that noted there would be $5 discount at check-out. When I got to the check-out and gave my card the cashier noted I had $5 of 'Sam's Cash', apparently a promotion to get you to spend more, and she applied that to the purchase as well.

So, $22 for 3 very nice ribeyes.

We should all be happy!

UNCLE JIMMY likes this post

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

As an order of convenience for everybody. We are having the BBQ here for the kids and us on Sunday, the 2nd of July. It's still the Independence Day celebration for us. IMO
Now, for tonight's supper,
Tina made onion soup and a small 8 X 8 pan of eggplant Moussaka.
I hope the gut holds up with that meal. LOL

bethk likes this post

bethk

bethk
Admin

Yeah, tonight was OUR 4th of July Celebration meal. I was really happy to get such a great deal at Sam's Club on the steaks. I didn't want to spend the money on a meal out ~ especially since we went out last night.

And the kids got to choose between chicken & steak.....and, yes, our grandson is smart enough to choose something he doesn't get often!

The steaks got cooked and were rested when the asparagus & potatoes were grilling ~ I always pre-cook the potatoes in the microwave and then just let them finish up on the grill rack. So much easier and really no difference in the texture. It's great that all the heat is outside and HE takes care of getting the coals ready to cook....plus HE loads the dishwasher so I only have to organize and add the soap pod.

July, 2023!  Happy Canada Day for us, let's start that outside summer cooking! 07_01_22

July, 2023!  Happy Canada Day for us, let's start that outside summer cooking! 07_01_23

July, 2023!  Happy Canada Day for us, let's start that outside summer cooking! 07_01_24

UNCLE JIMMY and Imelda HL like this post

bethk

bethk
Admin

From Lore:

"Dinner Tonight. Salad with marinated seafood, feta. Went out for lunch with son and DIL, so light supper."

July, 2023!  Happy Canada Day for us, let's start that outside summer cooking! 07_01_25

Cookin Lore

bethk wrote:Yeah, tonight was OUR 4th of July Celebration meal.  I was really happy to get such a great deal at Sam's Club on the steaks.  I didn't want to spend the money on a meal out ~ especially since we went out last night.

And the kids got to choose between chicken & steak.....and, yes, our grandson is smart enough to choose something he doesn't get often!

The steaks got cooked and were rested when the asparagus & potatoes were grilling ~ I always pre-cook the potatoes in the microwave and then just let them finish up on the grill rack.  So much easier and really no difference in the texture.  It's great that all the heat is outside and HE takes care of getting the coals ready to cook....plus HE loads the dishwasher so I only have to organize and add the soap pod.

July, 2023!  Happy Canada Day for us, let's start that outside summer cooking! 07_01_22

July, 2023!  Happy Canada Day for us, let's start that outside summer cooking! 07_01_23

July, 2023!  Happy Canada Day for us, let's start that outside summer cooking! 07_01_24

Potato, asparagus and steak, what could possibly be better????? That looks soooo good! Maybe I'll try to do it today, of course, I don't have a real grill!

bethk, UNCLE JIMMY and Imelda HL like this post

bethk

bethk
Admin

The leftover steak from last night.....I don't want to just pick at it (as in eat a bite, close the refrigerator, open, repeat......LOL) just got trimmed of the cold fat and sliced into bite size pieces. The meat will be just slightly heated to bring it to room temperature and placed over a salad of iceburg lettuce and whatever vegetables I have in the refrigerator.

I'll use some sort of (store bought) creamy dressing that's in the refrigerator.

I'm happy the menu is decided!

Imelda HL

Imelda HL

It's summer here, since last week we have 3 digits high, so it's so so hot out there, I did not cook much, mostly cooked big meals and ate for 3 times, fortunately nobody complained. I baked a big pan of Lasagna, a pan of potato casserole, spaghetti and more ( can't remember what and what and did not think to take picture of them Evil or Very Mad  ). D's little brother came and stayed for a week, he is a good cook, used to be a chef in the restaurant, but he ate my food (even the leftover part) without complaining. I cooked a nice meal for Father's Day dinner, Pork tenderloin with red wine sauce, it turned out beautiful and delicious, so I took some pictures of it

July, 2023!  Happy Canada Day for us, let's start that outside summer cooking! 55383d10
July, 2023!  Happy Canada Day for us, let's start that outside summer cooking! 41192210
July, 2023!  Happy Canada Day for us, let's start that outside summer cooking! F804e210

bethk

bethk
Admin

Your meal looks delicious, Imelda!

So glad you dropped by to share with us.

bethk

bethk
Admin

The steak salads were tasty ~ albeit too large for either of us to finish.....

I guess I should have divided 3 eggs instead of 2 each and cut back on the amount of lettuce.

On the bright side, we're both full.

July, 2023!  Happy Canada Day for us, let's start that outside summer cooking! 07_02_14

NormM and UNCLE JIMMY like this post

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

[size=18]Cooked 2 large London broils after marinading for 3 days.
DIL made parsley potatoes, and DD made a zucchini casserole.
Tina bought breaded and fried chicken that No one ate. DD, the house baker, baked a white cake with butter cream and Philly cream cheese. "We've got fresh strawberries from the nearby farm. Fresh blueberries too!"

bethk likes this post

bethk

bethk
Admin

From Lore:

"Dinner Tonight. Again a simple piece of sirloin, crinkle potato pieces, yellow pepper and mushroom chunks all done on a sheet pan in my oven."

July, 2023!  Happy Canada Day for us, let's start that outside summer cooking! 07_02_15

bethk

bethk
Admin

I feel pretty good ~ I got the house back in order after having the kids here for a week. The sheets & towels got washed and replaced. The floors got dusted. The blow up bed got deflated and stored away.....

It always is nice to have the company but it's almost even better to have the house back to normal!

HE suggested burgers for supper ~ and that sounds fine with me! So, super happy I don't have to come up with an idea for the meal. (the hardest part when I just don't feel much like eating ~ it's SO HOT!)

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Mom used to say, kids, I love when you come to visit, but it's a relief when you head back home! And boy, she was 100% right.....

bethk and Imelda HL like this post

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

No final thoughts for what to have for supper yet....???
Maybe just a burger or a hot dog.

bethk likes this post

bethk

bethk
Admin

The burgers came out tasty when cooked over hot charcoal. HE wanted sliced hot peppers (that he grows in a patio pot) put on his thick burger patty before his cheese slice was added. Then it sat at the side of the grill until the cheese melted over all. My burger patty was one of the 3 oz. ones that I make thinner so it comes out closer to a 'smash burger' ~ well done and a bit crispy on the edges. Then it gets added to a toasted bun that has the Frisch's Tartar Sauce, shredded lettuce, thin sliced dill pickle and sliced onion.

Unfortunately, the package of buns I knew were in the freezer turned out to be 'slider size' and even my little patty was over sized for it. So, I had too much burger and too little bun.

But, I ate it and it wasn't bad ~ just a bit messy!

I also sliced up a yellow & a green zucchini, seasoned with a bit of olive oil and s&p to grill up until brown. It's really tasty cooked over the charcoal.

July, 2023!  Happy Canada Day for us, let's start that outside summer cooking! 07_03_14

July, 2023!  Happy Canada Day for us, let's start that outside summer cooking! 07_03_15

NormM and UNCLE JIMMY like this post

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

bethk wrote:The burgers came out tasty when cooked over hot charcoal.  HE wanted sliced hot peppers (that he grows in a patio pot) put on his thick burger patty before his cheese slice was added.  Then it sat at the side of the grill until the cheese melted over all.  My burger patty was one of the 3 oz. ones that I make thinner so it comes out closer to a 'smash burger' ~ well done and a bit crispy on the edges.  Then it gets added to a toasted bun that has the Frisch's Tartar Sauce, shredded lettuce, thin sliced dill pickle and sliced onion.

Unfortunately, the package of buns I knew were in the freezer turned out to be 'slider size' and even my little patty was over sized for it.  So, I had too much burger and too little bun.  

But, I ate it and it wasn't bad ~ just a bit messy!

I also sliced up a yellow & a green zucchini, seasoned with a bit of olive oil and s&p to grill up until brown.  It's really tasty cooked over the charcoal.

July, 2023!  Happy Canada Day for us, let's start that outside summer cooking! 07_03_14

July, 2023!  Happy Canada Day for us, let's start that outside summer cooking! 07_03_15
The lady in the add on the TV used to say, "Where's the Beef?"
Now You can say, "Where's the Bun?"..... LOL
I had a NO Bun burger tonight. A naked burger. Had a cup of soup with it!
A Boston cream doughnut and coffee for dessert.

bethk likes this post

bethk

bethk
Admin

From Lore:

"Dinner Tonight. I found some fabulous butterflied and spiced shrimp at Costco. Really good, very buttery etc. I made what started out to be a mango salsa, but the mango was not very good, so it became a pineapple salsa. Corn, red pepper, some onion, a little dill and lots of parsley. Salt, pepper and fresh lime juice on the salsa. And a bit of a salad made with the lettuce from my indoor aero garden!"

July, 2023!  Happy Canada Day for us, let's start that outside summer cooking! 07_03_16

bethk, NormM, UNCLE JIMMY and Imelda HL like this post

bethk

bethk
Admin

Looks fabulous, Lore! So happy you're able to harvest salads from your garden!

NormM

NormM

Dinner tonight was Pineapple Marinated Chicken with Pineapple Salsa served over rice with a side of pickled Asian radish (daikon)July, 2023!  Happy Canada Day for us, let's start that outside summer cooking! Img_1015

http://r2j1cp@gmail.com

Cookin Lore

bethk wrote:Looks fabulous, Lore!  So happy you're able to harvest salads from your garden!

Thanks again! Those shrimp are well worth whatever they cost (I don't remember) Guess I'm getting lazy! Having someone else butterfly them is great, And this way, I can take just a few out without making a mess. Yumm!

bethk

bethk
Admin

We had burgers last night.

Tonight he wants hot dogs ~ the casing hot dogs that come with a 'SNAP' when you bite into them. And, of course, there are no more in the freezer so I had to try and remember which Publix I found them at. Each Publix sells what they deem are good sellers for their store so if you find something at one there's a good chance you won't find it at another.

So, off I went to the store I thought I had shopped and found them the first time ~ and I WAS RIGHT !!! Woo Hoo!

To top it off, just like the last time, they were BOGO, so half price ~ which is much better than a poke in the eye.

So, we'll have broiled hot dogs, doctored up Bush's Beans and that Mediterranean Salad we like so much ~ adding some garbanzo beans tonight just to see if we like it as well.

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

We had beef leftover ( ground ), and so Tina made a pot of spaghetti sauce and meatballs. A garden salad as a starter, and some kind of macaroni.

"Happy Independents day to all"

bethk and Imelda HL like this post

bethk

bethk
Admin

Chili Dogs, Bush's Baked Beans and Mediterranean Salad ~ just right for a very warm July evening...........

July, 2023!  Happy Canada Day for us, let's start that outside summer cooking! 07_04_18

Happy 4th of July Everyone !!!

NormM

NormM

I wasn'r planning to do any cooking today but then I started feeling guilty and got some ribs and salmon for the smoker. I had already made some potato salad and the rub for the ribs so it wasn't much more to do but just start it.July, 2023!  Happy Canada Day for us, let's start that outside summer cooking! Img_1016

bethk, UNCLE JIMMY and Imelda HL like this post

http://r2j1cp@gmail.com

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 7]

Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum