Cooking Friends
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Cooking Friends

Friends sharing recipes, cooking techniques & menu ideas in a friendly atmosphere.

You are not connected. Please login or register

July, 2023! Happy Canada Day for us, let's start that outside summer cooking!

+3
UNCLE JIMMY
bethk
Cookin Lore
7 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Go down  Message [Page 5 of 7]

Cookin Lore

bethk wrote:
Cookin Lore wrote:Cream gravy?  What's that?  

After you fry your breaded cubed steaks in a cast iron skillet you add a bit of the leftover flour used to bread the steaks to the fat to make a roux.  Then you add milk (or cream if you have it) to make gravy.  Season with salt and lots of pepper.

Cream gravy.....great on chicken fried steak, chicken fried chicken, mashed potatoes or biscuits.......

Unfortunately, I just need to think about it for about 10 minutes and I've gained 5 pounds!  LOL

THanks, never heard of it before.

bethk likes this post

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Minestra for supper. I had 4 bunches of Romain lettuce to use up, so I browned the garlic, and added fennel seed, and cooked it down. Added white beans, and I had three bowls of it. \

July, 2023!  Happy Canada Day for us, let's start that outside summer cooking! - Page 5 Img_2329

bethk and Imelda HL like this post

bethk

bethk
Admin

Burgers tonight. Mine was a thin 'Big Boy' Burger. HIS was a larger rare cheeseburger ~ with lots of sliced onions.

Had Bush's beans and leftover potato salad along side.

July, 2023!  Happy Canada Day for us, let's start that outside summer cooking! - Page 5 07_18_14

UNCLE JIMMY and Imelda HL like this post

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

bethk wrote:Burgers tonight.  Mine was a thin 'Big Boy' Burger.  HIS was a larger rare cheeseburger ~ with lots of sliced onions.

Had Bush's beans and leftover potato salad along side.

July, 2023!  Happy Canada Day for us, let's start that outside summer cooking! - Page 5 07_18_14
Looks good Beth. The Master must have been happy with that meal for sure.
Looking at the beans, makes me remember when we had Campbell's
pork & beans at a meal, mom and dad would fight and scramble to get that square of pork fat that was in the can of beans. July, 2023!  Happy Canada Day for us, let's start that outside summer cooking! - Page 5 3447731902
Usually, Mom would get it.....

bethk likes this post

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

We had ho hum angel hair spaghetti with meat sauce Tina made.
I am not a favorite of meat ( burger ) sauce, but I picked all of mine out, as much as I could.
I don't like that much sauce in my macaroni anyway.......

bethk likes this post

bethk

bethk
Admin

This heat wave is brutal......

Tonight I've got a cool Mediterranean Chicken Salad in the works.  The only cooking involved is to saute a couple seasoned chicken cutlets.  The salad is in the refrigerator, already dressed and ready to go.

I've been out in the courtyard checking on our huge numbers of Black Swallowtail Caterpillars.  They have just about done away with ALL the different areas of parsley & dill.  The largest dill plant is covered in over 2 dozen caterpillars, many of whom look large enough to begin the process of turning into a chrysalis and then a butterfly about 10 days later.  Yesterday morning two of the butterflies hatched ~ one was black & yellow and the other had black & blue markings.  It's fun to watch.

We haven't had much luck with the monarch butterflies ~ our milkweed plants attract too many moisture sucking bugs & aphids.  But we keep trying.......

I wasn't going to post pics but the beauty of the just hatched butterflies is worth sharing.

Also, a picture of a full and lush dill plant after being food for dozens of caterpillars.....down to sticks!

July, 2023!  Happy Canada Day for us, let's start that outside summer cooking! - Page 5 07_18_15

July, 2023!  Happy Canada Day for us, let's start that outside summer cooking! - Page 5 07_18_16

July, 2023!  Happy Canada Day for us, let's start that outside summer cooking! - Page 5 07_19_16

July, 2023!  Happy Canada Day for us, let's start that outside summer cooking! - Page 5 07_19_17

Last edited by bethk on Wed Jul 19, 2023 4:30 pm; edited 1 time in total

UNCLE JIMMY likes this post

Cookin Lore

My daughter called me years ago in a panic. Her lemon tree on their rooftop terrace was covered in those caterpillars. I suggested that she should go to her favourite garden centre with one of them. She did that, and they told her that they would become swallowtail butterflies. She took all of them off her little lemon tree and they put them on one of the garden centre's lemon trees.

bethk and UNCLE JIMMY like this post

bethk

bethk
Admin

Cookin Lore wrote:My daughter called me years ago in a panic.  Her lemon tree on their rooftop terrace was covered in those caterpillars.  I suggested that she should go to her favourite garden centre with one of them.  She did that, and they told her that they would become swallowtail butterflies.  She took all of them off her little lemon tree and they put them on one of the garden centre's lemon trees.  

Thank goodness these don't seem to like MY little Meyer Lemon Tree. But we do specifically grow the different areas of parsley & dill just to support them. After all the caterpillars are done the plants will usually renew ~ well, the parsley will. The dill just gets some 'saved' seed re-planted and it returns for free.

I didn't think the caterpillars had any predators but I saw two wasps just gobbling down one they had started picking on. It was brutal ~ but I guess it's all part of the 'Survival of the fittest.....'

bethk

bethk
Admin

Tonight's Mediterranean Chicken Salad was missing the chopped parsley......decided the caterpillars wanted it more than I did! LOL

Nothing I love more than a 'make-ahead' meal (the salad marinates in the dressing for as long as you choose in the refrigerator) that just needs seasoned sauteed chicken breasts added on top at the last minute. There is just enough for the two of us with NO leftovers! And we're both full so it's not as if I'm making a small meal.

It was just right for a hot, humid and steamy day.

It looks like we're in for another thunderstorm. Since we're situated in the middle of the state the weather blows from the east and west and collides right on top of us. Last night we got about 1-1/2" of rain in an hour. What's really nice is that it cools down for a short period.

July, 2023!  Happy Canada Day for us, let's start that outside summer cooking! - Page 5 07_19_18

Cookin Lore

bethk wrote:
Cookin Lore wrote:My daughter called me years ago in a panic.  Her lemon tree on their rooftop terrace was covered in those caterpillars.  I suggested that she should go to her favourite garden centre with one of them.  She did that, and they told her that they would become swallowtail butterflies.  She took all of them off her little lemon tree and they put them on one of the garden centre's lemon trees.  

Thank goodness these don't seem to like MY little Meyer Lemon Tree.  But we do specifically grow the different areas of parsley & dill just to support them.  After all the caterpillars are done the plants will usually renew ~ well, the parsley will.  The dill just gets some 'saved' seed re-planted and it returns for free.

I didn't think the caterpillars had any predators but I saw two wasps just gobbling down one they had started picking on.  It was brutal ~ but I guess it's all part of the 'Survival of the fittest.....'

How large are these caterpillars? can you post a picture? Swallowtalys are not very common here, but I have seen a few.

bethk

bethk
Admin

Cookin Lore wrote:

How large are these caterpillars?  can you post a picture?  Swallowtalys are not very common here, but I have seen a few.

If you click on the 4th pic (above) it will enlarge it to full screen and you can easily see they're about the size of your little finger ~ they look very much like a tomato worm ~ the ones that eat the tomato plants and fruit and are a huge pest in a garden.

They're all of 2" X 1/2" wide.

bethk

bethk
Admin

From Lore:

"Dinner Tonight. Lamb chops and oven roasted veggies."

July, 2023!  Happy Canada Day for us, let's start that outside summer cooking! - Page 5 07_19_19

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

I had leftover Minestra for supper.

bethk likes this post

bethk

bethk
Admin

It's HOT yet again ~ so a 'light' supper is in order.

With 100° temperatures outside I really don't want to cook out there. So, I looked in the freezer and decided on hot dogs.

HE will get some Crispy Crowns ~ me? I'm going to bake/fry a sweet potato into fries.

I also have what I need for a BLT Salad ~ ice burg lettuce, the little cherry tomatoes and bacon. I'll just add some bottled salad dressing.

And HE may get a small amount of lima beans ~ just because HE really likes them.

Gosh, I'm glad to have that decision made!

JanaAZ

It’s not here…even in the mountains so we had gazpacho
July, 2023!  Happy Canada Day for us, let's start that outside summer cooking! - Page 5 Img_9310

I’m Having my girlfriends weekend and am keeping the meals really simple….but darn, I’m having to prepare stuff now. Most baking is done but I have to bake the crystal bread tomorrow. We’re high 90s while Phoenix is almost 120. My friends will be happy to come up where it’s”cool”

bethk likes this post

bethk

bethk
Admin

Supper was surprisingly good.....especially the BLT Salad. HE only likes iceburg lettuce so that's what's in my vintage Tupperware lettuce keeper. That plastic bowl keeps lettuce super crispy! I love it! The Flavor Bomb Tomatoes are the only 'tastes-like-a-real-tomato' I can find lately. They might have been easier to eat in the salad if I had cut them in half but they were really cute sitting on top of the dressed lettuce with the crispy bacon surrounding them.

July, 2023!  Happy Canada Day for us, let's start that outside summer cooking! - Page 5 07_20_18

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Tomato salad with semolina bread and butter. Lunch was a cup of soup. Tina was gone all day.
Unfortunately, her uncle had a stroke. He is set up at home with Hospice and all kinds of help.
Just keeping him comfortable at 101 years old. Poor Tina is wiped out.

bethk likes this post

bethk

bethk
Admin

It's still HOT! So, no cooking outside.

I checked the freezer and saw a piece of ham ~ that works for creamed ham on noodles. I had the asparagus and that makes a meal.

I'm glad I don't have to come up with an idea for supper for tomorrow night ~ it's my birthday and we'll be going out to eat. I haven't decided where yet but it will be cool inside and a relaxing meal for me!

July, 2023!  Happy Canada Day for us, let's start that outside summer cooking! - Page 5 07_21_16

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Happy Early Birthday Wishes Beth.

Enjoy your meal tomorrow......  God Bless

bethk likes this post

NormM

NormM

I made Buffalo wings tonight. July, 2023!  Happy Canada Day for us, let's start that outside summer cooking! - Page 5 Img_1018

http://r2j1cp@gmail.com

JanaAZ

I’m getting ready for my girls weekend. It’s so darn hot to make heavy stuff but since they’re coming up from 119, my 98 won’t seem bad lol

For lunch I’m making taco salad with my crispy tortilla bowls, beef taco meat, lettuce, cucumbers black beans, grilled corn, salsa, sour cream, avocado and topped with Catalina dressing. That’s all waiting for them to get here to put together.

For dinner, we’re having a tapas party with Spanish meatballs, homemade crystal bread topped with homemade fig jam, rosemary and prosciutto, skewers with cheese, meat and olives (couldn’t get Spanish chorizo here); dates stuffed with fig goat cheese and topped with chopped pistachios, charcuterie board with Spanish items and for dessert we’re having an almond cake.

Brunch in Sunday (thank goodness I was smart enough to bake before the heat really hit) strawberry scones, grapefruit poppyseed cake and a strata.

Whew….I’m tired

bethk

bethk
Admin

Judy, you'll have a fabulous time and your friends will certainly enjoy & appreciate all you've made and will serve.

I'm looking forward to pics of the weekend!

Cookin Lore

I just came home from my evening with niece Tracy at the theatre, so it's "tomorrow" so Happy birthday Beth!

bethk

bethk
Admin

Thanks, Jimmy & Lore ~ for my birthday I let myself 'sleep in'......I predict a very lazy day!

bethk

bethk
Admin

From Lore:

"Dinner Tonight. Niece is here from New York and we went out to the brew pub for dinner. Met son Danny there, he showed Tracy the brewing process. My dinner was a really good salmon salad. Lots of veggies in the salad."

July, 2023!  Happy Canada Day for us, let's start that outside summer cooking! - Page 5 07_21_17

"P.S. Forgot to add this picture to my dinner picture. This is my son, Danny and his cousin Tracy at the brewery!"

July, 2023!  Happy Canada Day for us, let's start that outside summer cooking! - Page 5 07_21_18

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 5 of 7]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum