Cooking Friends
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Cooking Friends

Friends sharing recipes, cooking techniques & menu ideas in a friendly atmosphere.

You are not connected. Please login or register

January 2023 — happy new year

+3
Cookin Lore
bethk
JanaAZ
7 posters

Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 6]

1January 2023 — happy new year  Empty January 2023 — happy new year Sun Jan 01, 2023 1:14 pm

JanaAZ

Happy new year to everyone. Today we’re having ham and scalloped potatoes. I’ve left Steve to his own devices for the last week so apparently NOTHING was cooked I think he ate cookies for the entire week.

bethk likes this post

2January 2023 — happy new year  Empty Re: January 2023 — happy new year Sun Jan 01, 2023 1:57 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

Happy New Year from me, too!

JanaAZ likes this post

3January 2023 — happy new year  Empty Re: January 2023 — happy new year Sun Jan 01, 2023 7:36 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

I didn't know what I was going to fix for supper. I usually have some sort of pork, greens and black eyed peas for good luck.

But I abbreviated the menu ~ I had pork tenderloin, green beans (to represent money), a sweet potato (gold), and a cucumber salad (coins) and a couple leftover corn muffins (more gold).....

But I doubt the meal will bring us riches in the coming year ~ but at least we ate!

the beans were stripped from the patio pot garden ~ the plants didn't do well during our freeze even though they were covered. But there are a couple pots that have beans just starting to sprout so in a month or so we'll have another crop coming on.

January 2023 — happy new year  01_01_24

UNCLE JIMMY and Imelda HL like this post

4January 2023 — happy new year  Empty Re: January 2023 — happy new year Sun Jan 01, 2023 8:03 pm

Cookin Lore

My supper tonight???? I had a couple of small pepperoni type sausages, and a peanut butter sandwich.

I ended up 2022 with an epic failure of trying to make stuffed shrimp, then went out for brunch with my niece and her partner today. Thought it was a brunch buffet, it wasn't, but that's OK. Ordered a lobster grilled Cheese sandwich and a salad. Big mistake. Sandwich was supposed to be on Texas toast, it was on plain white, there was actually quite a bit of lobster there, but it was dry. Salad was a small bowl with some greens actually stuffed in it, two pieces of cucumber, two pieces of ice cold tomato.

I should have sent the whole thing back. My sister and I used to go there for lunch and have never been disappointed. So, I just had a peanut butter sandwich to start the year. It can only get better, right????

bethk and UNCLE JIMMY like this post

5January 2023 — happy new year  Empty Re: January 2023 — happy new year Sun Jan 01, 2023 11:53 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

The pizza party went well, and all loved the pizza I made one plain 16
'" and 0ne sausage, one green peppers, a mushroom, and a pepperoni. Plus I have one ball of dough in the fridge for next week. We had straw berry short cake and cannoli's for dessert.

########################################################

BTW......... granddaughter missed having her baby on new years day, but she will be induced on Tuesday, that is if she doesn''t have it tonight. She is big, and carrying low.
Will you believe she knows it's a male, and, they named the baby already.
Jaxson. Yep, I know, but that's the way they want it spelled.

bethk likes this post

6January 2023 — happy new year  Empty Re: January 2023 — happy new year Mon Jan 02, 2023 11:33 am

bethk

bethk
Admin

UNCLE JIMMY wrote:The pizza party went well, and all loved the pizza  I made one plain 16
'" and 0ne sausage, one green peppers, a mushroom, and a  pepperoni.  Plus I  have one ball of dough in the fridge for next week. We had straw berry short cake and cannoli's for dessert.

BTW......... granddaughter missed having her baby on new years day, but she will be induced on Tuesday, that is if she doesn''t have it tonight. She is big, and carrying low.  

Congratulations to granddaughter Meranda on baby #3! She does like to stick with 'holiday' deliveries, doesn't she? Hahahaha ~ I know Liam was born on Halloween but I don't remember if Aurora was on a holiday (?). But they're all as cute as can be!

7January 2023 — happy new year  Empty Re: January 2023 — happy new year Mon Jan 02, 2023 3:34 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

I've been cleaning & doing laundry since this morning and we have a meeting to attend tonight ~ ~ so, SURPRISE!, I'm in no mood to cook.

HE doesn't know it yet but we're going to go out somewhere close so we can make it to the meeting on time.

For right now I have to head in to shower & put on some 'to-be-seen-in-public' clothes.....  

LOL

OR.........we'll have leftovers. (I just looked in the refrigerator and I know that's what he'd vote for)

UNCLE JIMMY likes this post

8January 2023 — happy new year  Empty Re: January 2023 — happy new year Mon Jan 02, 2023 10:21 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

From Lore:

"Dinner Tonight, first one cooked this year. Beef Rouladen (stuffed top round) red cabbage and a Hasselback potato. Yumm!"

January 2023 — happy new year  01_02_12

bethk and UNCLE JIMMY like this post

9January 2023 — happy new year  Empty Re: January 2023 — happy new year Mon Jan 02, 2023 10:22 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

That looks delicious, Lore! What do you roll up in the beef?

10January 2023 — happy new year  Empty Re: January 2023 — happy new year Tue Jan 03, 2023 3:28 am

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

bethk wrote:
UNCLE JIMMY wrote:The pizza party went well, and all loved the pizza  I made one plain 16
'" and 0ne sausage, one green peppers, a mushroom, and a  pepperoni.  Plus I  have one ball of dough in the fridge for next week. We had straw berry short cake and cannoli's for dessert.

Congratulations to granddaughter Meranda on baby #3!  She does like to stick with 'holiday' deliveries, doesn't she?  Hahahaha ~ I know Liam was born on Halloween but I don't remember if Aurora was on a holiday (?).  But they're all as cute as can be!

Thanks Beth. Aurora is around Memorial Day
+ or - .

11January 2023 — happy new year  Empty Re: January 2023 — happy new year Tue Jan 03, 2023 5:17 am

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Today ...... 2023 Tuesday ..... I need to practice writing and saying 2023 23 23 23 . It should be easy if I think of Christine's Birthday, Aug. 23, and OUR Anniversary DATE April 23.

So, on this day, We have great supper planned of home made pierogi. Made by the woman who is the live in caregiver for Tina's uncle, who is 100 y/o. She is from the Ukraine, and she cooks a meal every day for his dinner. She is here in the US only 3 months. but luckily the uncle can speak a little bit of the Czechoslovakian language, which she can understand. She also has an app on her cell phone in case there is confusion, of English to Ukrainian and visa versa.
As far as dessert, we have plenty of cookies and sweets from the holiday's.
Well....yawn* time to get a few z's before 7 AM wake up time.

bethk likes this post

12January 2023 — happy new year  Empty Re: January 2023 — happy new year Tue Jan 03, 2023 1:33 pm

Cookin Lore

bethk wrote:That looks delicious, Lore!  What do you roll up in the beef?

Thanks. It is a very common german meal, generally with simple boiled potatoes, but I've become really fond of Hasselback lately. The top round is most often used, sliced very thin so the slice is about 4-5 inches X 8-10 inches. You add salt/pepper, smear some mustard, add finely chopped onion and finely chopped bacon. Original recipes wrap in a spear of pickle, but my hubby didn't like that, so I got used to leaving it out. You roll it nice and tight, secure with a toothpick, brown quickly, then add water or broth, and braise until very well done, Make gravy with the broth.

bethk likes this post

13January 2023 — happy new year  Empty Re: January 2023 — happy new year Tue Jan 03, 2023 6:13 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

I'm finally getting my 'going-out' supper tonight!

I've been hungry for some stir fried soba noodles at a local Chinese restaurant ~ and tonight is it!

I've been hungry for this for weeks but it just didn't work out ~ until today.

I've had so many medical procedures & tests going on that I think I'm falling apart ~ tomorrow is when I finally get my stitches removed from my skin cancer removal ~ wondering if they'll have the path results or if I have to continue to wait on the results...... I learned a big lesson to have interview questions at the ready and not believe the web site advertising on dermatologists.

Then on Thursday I get to have my heart cath to find out if there are blockages that need to be fixed up ~ the fun just keeps going........

14January 2023 — happy new year  Empty Re: January 2023 — happy new year Tue Jan 03, 2023 8:23 pm

Cookin Lore

I know that I will probably annoy some people with my outlook on this...................... I try to look at the positive, and in your case, I'm happy for you that you have the medical resources available to look after all this! So, have fun tonight with your dinner!

bethk likes this post

15January 2023 — happy new year  Empty Re: January 2023 — happy new year Tue Jan 03, 2023 8:40 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

From Lore:

"Dinner Tonight. Chicken cordon Bleu and stir fried veggies. Onion, mushrooms, peppers, broccoli."

January 2023 — happy new year  01_02_13

bethk likes this post

16January 2023 — happy new year  Empty Re: January 2023 — happy new year Tue Jan 03, 2023 8:42 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

I was happy with my supper.....when it was delivered to our table the first thing I did was ask for a 'to-go' box ~ half came home for my lunch tomorrow.

Dane enjoyed his shrimp tempura with vegetables (and, yes, I got to share some!)

January 2023 — happy new year  01_03_16

January 2023 — happy new year  01_03_17

UNCLE JIMMY and Imelda HL like this post

17January 2023 — happy new year  Empty Re: January 2023 — happy new year Wed Jan 04, 2023 3:43 am

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Jaxson Is here. ........

January 2023 — happy new year  Img_2810

bethk, Imelda HL and JanaAZ like this post

18January 2023 — happy new year  Empty Re: January 2023 — happy new year Wed Jan 04, 2023 8:30 am

bethk

bethk
Admin

Congratulations Meranda!

Another beautiful baby.

19January 2023 — happy new year  Empty Re: January 2023 — happy new year Wed Jan 04, 2023 4:48 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

I thawed out a chicken breast ~ not a clue of what I was going to make.

I decided to poach it and use it for a salad.

when I was in the refrigerator I saw the romaine lettuce I just picked up. Hmmmmm, chicken salad lettuce wraps.

HE won't be a happy camper ~ but he can stew about it when I'm knocked out tomorrow.....

I cooled the poached breast and cut it into slivers, added it to julienned carrot, thin sliced celery, julienned apple and some toasted pecans. The dressing is my mayo/miracle whip/sour cream with a tiny bit of sweet curry powder, a splash of vinegar syrup and some chopped parsley & chives.

I'll like it ~ but HE won't.....

but I'll like it....a lot! LOL

20January 2023 — happy new year  Empty Re: January 2023 — happy new year Wed Jan 04, 2023 4:59 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

So far, Tina made a shepherds pie.
I will late lunch a little of that, but for supper, I want spaghetti with marinara sauce....

bethk likes this post

21January 2023 — happy new year  Empty Re: January 2023 — happy new year Wed Jan 04, 2023 8:33 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

January 2023 — happy new year  01_04_18

Surprisingly, HE seemed to enjoy supper. He wasn't really excited but he didn't complain at all. So, I guess all is good. Personally, I really enjoyed it.

Imelda HL likes this post

22January 2023 — happy new year  Empty Re: January 2023 — happy new year Wed Jan 04, 2023 8:36 pm

NormM

NormM

Charlie and I were going through a list of recipes I've made over the last couple of years and decided to do Cheeseburger soup. Charlie suggested using French fries instead of regular potatoes and to add some jalapenos. I didn't think the fries and peppers was a good idea so I made them on the side. I have to admit that the soup made a very tasty dip for the fries. During the meal Charlie thought some kind of pasta would be a good substitute for the potatoes. I might try that next time.January 2023 — happy new year  Img_0511
January 2023 — happy new year  Img_0512

bethk, UNCLE JIMMY and Imelda HL like this post

http://r2j1cp@gmail.com

23January 2023 — happy new year  Empty Re: January 2023 — happy new year Wed Jan 04, 2023 9:47 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

NormM wrote:Charlie and I were going through a list of recipes I've made over the last couple of years and decided to do Cheeseburger soup. Charlie suggested using French fries instead of regular potatoes and to add some  jalapenos. I didn't think the fries  and peppers was a good idea so I made them on the side.  I have to admit that the soup made a very tasty dip for the fries.  During the meal Charlie thought some kind of pasta would be a good substitute for the potatoes.  I might try that next time.January 2023 — happy new year  Img_0511
January 2023 — happy new year  Img_0512

Looks good Norm! ...... Nothing like using recipe flash cards, or trolling through a book
to get some ideas for a meal.

bethk and NormM like this post

24January 2023 — happy new year  Empty Re: January 2023 — happy new year Thu Jan 05, 2023 2:01 am

JanaAZ

I’m trying to use up stuff from the holidays so today I used my whipping cream to make caramel, had ham and eggs with breakfast and leftover short ribs and risotto for dinner. We froze the prime rib from Christmas and now he’s asking for that again too.

Tomorrow I plan on cleaning out my freezer and combining stuff from our fridge freezers so everything is organized and I know what we actually have.

Can I say…I’m tired of eating….

25January 2023 — happy new year  Empty Re: January 2023 — happy new year Thu Jan 05, 2023 9:54 am

cookingirl

cookingirl

Good Luck, today, Beth...

bethk likes this post

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 6]

Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum