Cooking Friends
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Cooking Friends

Friends sharing recipes, cooking techniques & menu ideas in a friendly atmosphere.

You are not connected. Please login or register

July, 2023! Happy Canada Day for us, let's start that outside summer cooking!

+3
UNCLE JIMMY
bethk
Cookin Lore
7 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Go down  Message [Page 3 of 7]

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Today is fend for thyself meals. I had a pork roll, egg and cheese on an English muffin toasted.
It's so cloudy, it seems like 8 PM and it's only 3:30 P.
The 67 degrees is a blessing today.

bethk likes this post

bethk

bethk
Admin

UNCLE JIMMY wrote:
The 67 degrees is a blessing today.  

Yeah, I hear you! The temperatures here are a constant HOT.....but every once in a while it gets overcast, without a downpour, and the temperature drops by about 5 degrees. But then it blows through and the sun is shining again.

But, on the other side of the coin, we've NEVER had to get out and shovel that sunshine to get out of the driveway! LOL

UNCLE JIMMY likes this post

Cookin Lore

bethk wrote:Last night I was out in the courtyard at dusk and there were a couple bats flying around.  I figured they were eating the mosquitos and other stuff.

But I mentioned it to Dane today and asked if he would check the spare umbrella (one that doesn't get opened often) to be sure it wasn't a bat condo.

And, SURPRISE!

July, 2023!  Happy Canada Day for us, let's start that outside summer cooking! - Page 3 07_09_17

July, 2023!  Happy Canada Day for us, let's start that outside summer cooking! - Page 3 07_09_18

And no creature was harmed for these pictures ~ as soon as the bat woke up enough and adjusted to the sunlight it took off like a 'bat outta hell' !  

Hahahahahaha

One of our favourite dusk activities on the farm used to be to sit on the deck and watch the bats swooping around to catch the abundant mosquitoes.  We did see them clinging to the top rafters in the garage during the day.  Unfortunately, the last few years we did not see them very often any more.  Bat populations are dwindling in our area. I love bats!

bethk likes this post

JanaAZ

I’m having a tapas party for my girlfriends in a few weeks. In order to get everything done, I have to start cooking now. So today was albondigas en salsa which turned out so good. I’ll serve them on my homemade glass bread which I can’t make until the day of the party. July, 2023!  Happy Canada Day for us, let's start that outside summer cooking! - Page 3 Img_9211

bethk and UNCLE JIMMY like this post

bethk

bethk
Admin

JanaAZ wrote:I’m having a tapas party for my girlfriends in a few weeks. In order to get everything done, I have to start cooking now. So today was albondigas en salsa which turned out so good. I’ll serve them on my homemade glass bread which I can’t make until the day of the party.

And I'd like two loaves of your bread......I have my own butter.......Sure wish I lived closer! LOL

UNCLE JIMMY and JanaAZ like this post

bethk

bethk
Admin

Today was an 'Orlando Day' ~ Lyn's car needed a scheduled service.

But since we were just there 2 weeks ago there really wasn't anything we wanted to do.  We went to lunch at Cheesecake Factory ~ their menu is ridiculous ~ the waitress asked if we were ready to order and I just looked at her and said, "I'm ONLY on page 7!"  She laughed and said she'd be back.....

I ended up ordering a chicken on rice dish and it was not what I was expecting ~ but I ate what I wanted and didn't complain.  But I won't be returning any time soon.  There are too many other places we enjoy to take the chance of getting something less than good again.  And, yes, I could have asked for something else but it's just not worth it sometime.

Cookin Lore

Cars, don't we all love them? I bought a new to me wonderful one a few months ago. A lovely Lincoln, 2019. Got a safety recall notice today. Something with battery/electrical problems. I have been told to park outside, away from other vehicles and buildings, as a fire could happen even when the engine is shut off. I park in an underground garage along with 150 other residents here. We have lots of visitor parking, but I surely can't stop others from parking near my car! Lots of fun!

bethk likes this post

JanaAZ

bethk wrote:
JanaAZ wrote:I’m having a tapas party for my girlfriends in a few weeks. In order to get everything done, I have to start cooking now. So today was albondigas en salsa which turned out so good. I’ll serve them on my homemade glass bread which I can’t make until the day of the party.

And I'd like two loaves of your bread......I have my own butter.......Sure wish I lived closer!  LOL

Steve is not a big bread fan but he loves loves loves this bread. Tastes just like the stuff he had in Barcelona. Too bad it’ll be so darn hot when I make it. Our monsoons need to start pronto….

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Cookin Lore wrote:Cars, don't we all love them?  I bought a new to me wonderful one a few months ago.  A lovely Lincoln, 2019.  Got a safety recall notice today.  Something with battery/electrical problems.  I have been told to park outside, away from other vehicles and buildings, as a fire could happen even when the engine is shut off.  I park in an underground garage along with 150 other residents here.  We have lots of visitor parking, but I surely can't stop others from parking near my car!  Lots of fun!

What a bummer!... No

bethk likes this post

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

We had BLT&C on Dave's 17 grain bread . ( Bacon, Lettuce, Tomato, And Cheese.)

bethk likes this post

bethk

bethk
Admin

Neighbor Jim came for supper......bratwurst, sauteed cabbage & browned egg noodles.

At the last minute he called and asked if we would be eating right at 5:00 because he forgot he had his weekly poker game at his house at 6:00 tonight.

I assured him he would be fed and on his way long before 6.

And, of course, I forgot to take pictures ~ but you've seen it before.....nothing special, just tasty and filling.

bethk

bethk
Admin

From Lore:

"Dinner Tonight. Stir fry of mushrooms, onion, pepper scallops and shrimp, served on spiral pasta with a basil pesto (jar from Costco). I’m not particularly fond of basil, but the pesto is really good. I had one large portobello mushroom and some shiitake. They were good, but I don’t think the shiitake are worth the extra money."

July, 2023!  Happy Canada Day for us, let's start that outside summer cooking! - Page 3 07_11_18

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

[size=18]I had to fend for myself today. The rest of the family went to the funeral. I stayed home because it would be way too much for me. It ran for like 6 1/2 hours. I made corn on the cobb, and later this evening, I made a sandwich of peppers, onions, potatoes, eggs and cheese on a brioche bun.
Peanut butter on Keebler crackers with peach jam for dessert.[size]

bethk likes this post

Imelda HL

Imelda HL

bethk wrote:
Imelda HL wrote:D's youngest brother is visiting, today we celebrated his birthday at home, I cooked some Walnut shrimps, fried noodles and roasted some green beans, it was so nice to see everybody enjoyed the meal

Ohhhhh! Now I want Walnut Shrimps!!!  

Actually, last time I went to my favorite restaurant (20 minute drive away) that serves Walnut Shrimp I found they have an inexpensive lunch dish using chicken instead of shrimp ~ and it was just as tasty.  It's the sauce that puts it over the edge for me ~ so good!  And the chicken is served with simple steamed/stir fried baby bok choy so it's really a favorite meal.

I just wish I could learn to use chopsticks and not have my food falling around like crazy!  (fortunately the restaurant regularly places forks & spoons at the place settings)

I'd steal the idea, next time I'll cook with chicken breast

Imelda HL

Imelda HL

I fried some Latkes Potato for lunch, they were good, crispy, it has been years ago since I last made them. And I cooked some fish fillet with lemon mustard sauce, they were good. I pan fried the fish fillet with olive oil, seasoned with salt and black pepper, set them aside, then sauteed onion, garlic, red chili, squeezed some lemon juice, honey, mustard, dropped the fillets in the sauce, cooked for a few minutes more, lastly, added some cilantro, so good, D and his brother love it

July, 2023!  Happy Canada Day for us, let's start that outside summer cooking! - Page 3 25fa5810
July, 2023!  Happy Canada Day for us, let's start that outside summer cooking! - Page 3 37259b10

bethk

bethk
Admin

Oh, GREAT.......Now I WANT POTATO PANAKES !!!!

You have me SO hungry for latkes ~ although I have to call them simply 'potato pancakes' because I usually have them with some pork side (like bratwurst) and latkes (using a Kosher description) would NEVER be served with the brats......LOL

But they are the same thing ~ and OH, so good!

Cookin Lore

I made a lot of potato pancakes in 51 years of my marriage. NO MORE! Hated making them didn't particularly like to eat them. But, they were one if HIS favourites.

bethk

bethk
Admin

I'm always hopeful when I buy a spaghetti squash ~ we both like it a lot. HE likes his covered in marinara with lots of snowy parmesan cheese. I like to split my serving, a little with marinara and most with simply butter and s&p.

The problem is ~ it's very difficult to gauge if you've purchased a ripe squash or a green one. The ripe ones shred apart into spaghetti like strands and have a pleasant taste. The green ones are just awful.

So, I baked mine off early today ~ cut it in half & removed the seeds. Put it cut side down on a foil lined baking sheet and into the toaster oven at 350° for a little over an hour. I checked it and it looked like it was going to pull into strands when pulled with a fork ~ so then I got a container of marinara out of the freezer and thawed it in the microwave before warming in a sauce pan for supper.

I didn't hear any complaints so I'm assuming HE enjoyed it as much as I did.....

July, 2023!  Happy Canada Day for us, let's start that outside summer cooking! - Page 3 07_12_14

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Today was dentist day for Tina. So, she stopped at Walmart on way home, and bought us a TV dinner, mine Salisbury steak, and chicken for her.

bethk likes this post

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

We had dinner, and all was good. Instead of dessert, I said to T ... Hold off, and I will make us a snack that WE haven't had in a while. So..... As she was in the living room, I grabbed a box of these
Potato Pancake mix that you use a cup of water, and an egg. I fried the 12 of then, and Tina said, "I smell something good!" ..... Thanks for the inspiration Imelda, Lore, and Beth.
Usually we grate our own, but I didn't have the potatoes to use.

bethk likes this post

Cookin Lore

Think it's going to be a salad and some of the headcheese I made a few days ago for my supper tonight. Maybe some crackers under the headcheese! LOL

bethk likes this post

bethk

bethk
Admin

UNCLE JIMMY wrote:We had dinner, and all was good. Instead of dessert, I said to T ... Hold off, and I will make us a snack that WE haven't had in a while. So..... As she was in the living room, I grabbed a box of these
Potato Pancake mix that you use a cup of water, and an egg. I fried the 12 of then, and Tina said, "I smell something good!" ..... Thanks for the inspiration Imelda, Lore, and Beth.
Usually we grate our own, but I didn't have the potatoes to use.

Isn't it funny how you can simply read a simple sentence and suddenly have such a yearning for a special dish?

Imelda does that to me all the time.

But I'm still wanting Honey Walnut shrimp/chicken ~ I haven't found anyone who is available to drive to lunch in Ocala (a 20 minute drive) and I don't want to go alone......

But I may just make some potato pancakes one of these days ~ but I'd prefer to do it when HE isn't home because HE (who is still at his 'we-just-got-married' weight) will give me a look like 'you're-too-fat-to-be-eating-that'.....

(( sigh ))

Besides, I'm out of sour cream and applesauce cups.............

Hahahahahaha! (gotta have at least the sour cream!)

Cookin Lore

If you use a potato pancake mix, are there potato flakes? maybe they would have been easier to use than grating my own. Hated that.

bethk likes this post

bethk

bethk
Admin

Tonight was Picadillo Empanadas ~ Cuban 'Sloppy Joe' wrapped in empanada dough & deep fried until brown & crispy. Served with basmati rice and Cuban black beans (purchased/seasoned).

I could kick myself ~ I purposely purchased two green plantains to turn into tostones ~ twice fried green plantains. We both really like them. But they're still sitting in the refrigerator drawer where I put them so they would not ripen sitting on the countertop......

(( sigh ))

Sometimes I think my mind is rebelling against me!

July, 2023!  Happy Canada Day for us, let's start that outside summer cooking! - Page 3 07_13_16

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Cookin Lore wrote:If you use a potato pancake mix,  are there potato flakes?  maybe they would have been easier to use than grating my own.  Hated that.  
Yeah Lore. They are actually dried potato granules. The final is like a farina or polenta. Fried in just a coating of oil in a large pan slow and till browned and crunchy on the outside. God love Tina. She ate the last 4 that were left over. Rolling Eyes
She gets them in the Kosher section of the store.
Actually, when we are in the mood to make them, and that's after getting up off our butts to prep them, hahahaha ......we actually grate the potatoes, coarse like hash browns, and onions, then squeeze the excess water out through a clean towel. Add flour and egg, and fry them till crispy edges and browned on both sides. Would you believe, I had my share last night, but I am still wishing for more. Laughing

bethk likes this post

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 3 of 7]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum