Cooking Friends
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Cooking Friends

Friends sharing recipes, cooking techniques & menu ideas in a friendly atmosphere.

You are not connected. Please login or register

July, 2023! Happy Canada Day for us, let's start that outside summer cooking!

+3
UNCLE JIMMY
bethk
Cookin Lore
7 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Go down  Message [Page 2 of 7]

bethk

bethk
Admin

It was hotter than Hades today ~ thermometer said 98° but with the humidity felt more like 110°......and HE was working outside with Patrick. They're nuts.

But, hey, HE wasn't sitting in the house giving me 'looks' when I wanted to vacuum or fold laundry. So, if he's of the mind to spend a hot day outside, so be it!

Anyway, I knew he wouldn't want anything 'heavy' so I planned to use the leftover Mediterranean Salad I made yesterday and I sauteed a couple chicken cutlets that I had allowed to sit with a 'marinade' of olive oil, Hungarian paprika, s&p and Greek oregano. It made a satisfying supper ~ not heavy but with enough protein to make it filling.

July, 2023!  Happy Canada Day for us, let's start that outside summer cooking! - Page 2 07_05_16

UNCLE JIMMY likes this post

NormM

NormM

The paper said July 4th was the hottest day ever recorded.

bethk and UNCLE JIMMY like this post

http://r2j1cp@gmail.com

bethk

bethk
Admin

NormM wrote:The paper said July 4th was the hottest day ever recorded.  

Yup ~ so there's no sense in complaining to people because EVERYONE is hot and cranky! LOL

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

bethk wrote:
NormM wrote:The paper said July 4th was the hottest day ever recorded.  

Yup ~ so there's no sense in complaining to people because EVERYONE is hot and cranky!  LOL

And I'm complaining that it is too cold inside with the A/C running.72 degrees is way too cold whilst it's 84 outside, now at 1:37 PM.......

bethk likes this post

bethk

bethk
Admin

We just had a 20 minute thunderstorm ~ just what we needed to add to the humidity when the temperature is 94°.........

((  whoops!  That sounds like I'm complaining......  ))

But, back to the rain ~ I didn't want to chance wanting to grill outside (in the rain) so I decided to make BST Pasta (formerly known as BLT Pasta but I changed it to reflect the TRUE ingredients).

It's been a long while since I've made pasta and I'm really hungry for this one.  It's super simple but the ingredients come together nicely for a well balanced taste.  I had picked up some 'Flavor Bomb' grape tomatoes ~ sold on their stem and looking perfectly ripe.  I was OK with a higher price for the package ($4.49) IF they didn't have green icky stuff around the seeds ~ and these are perfectly red through & through and really do taste like real tomatoes.

So, anyway, here's the recipe:

BST Pasta

4 Slices Bacon, chopped
1 ½ c. Grape Tomatoes, halved
½ t. Sugar
½ c. Leeks, cleaned & sliced
¼ c. White Wine
½ c. Chicken Broth
1 t. Red Wine Vinegar
¼ t. Red Pepper Flakes (I use sambal oeleck chili paste)
½ t. Fresh Thyme, chopped
2 c. Fresh Baby Spinach  (I use an 8 oz. package with the stems removed)
4 oz. Spaghetti, cooked al dente  (I'm using angel hair tonight)
1 c. Panko Bread Crumbs
2 T. Butter

Prepare browned buttered Panko crumbs. Reserve.

Brown bacon, remove & reserve.  Discard all but 2 Tbsp. of bacon fat. Soften leeks, add tomato halves & ½ t. sugar (to caramelize).  

Deglaze with ¼ c. white wine and reduce.  Add ½ c. chicken broth, 1 t. red wine vinegar, ¼ t. red pepper flakes and ½ t. chopped fresh thyme.  

Return bacon to pan.  Add cooked pasta and stir to combine.  

Add fresh spinach and toss to combine.

Plate and top with ¼ c. buttered & browned Panko crumbs per serving.

Serve immediately.  2 servings

Imelda HL likes this post

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Sounds great Beth. I don't like when the grape tomatoes skin is hard, and they squirt all over when I bite them. Sometimes though, like your batch, they are great tasting and don't have that green / yellow stuff inside. I even put them in a paper bag to ripen further, but to no avail, they just turned into leathermato's....LOL

bethk likes this post

bethk

bethk
Admin

The recipe for the BST Pasta calls for 1/2 c. of chicken stock.  I just made a 1/2 c. using the Better Than Boullion seasoning.  I didn't want to open a box of stock for just a small amount, not knowing what I might be using the rest of it in the near future (and, YES, I have had to dump most of a box because it sat in the refrigerator too long before being used).

I think the next time I make homemade stock from the bones, skin, etc. from a rotisserie chicken I'll freeze it in 1/2 c. amounts in small snack size zip bags.  That way I'll be able to thaw just what I need quickly and there won't be any waste.

Note to self...........

LOL

bethk

bethk
Admin

Supper was exactly what I was hungry for. I have blood work scheduled for the morning ~ my glucose will probably be through the roof from having pasta tonight but it is what it is.....

I think the best part of this dish is the sprinkle of buttered panko at the end ~ it just adds that 'something' that makes the meal super delicious.

July, 2023!  Happy Canada Day for us, let's start that outside summer cooking! - Page 2 07_06_14

July, 2023!  Happy Canada Day for us, let's start that outside summer cooking! - Page 2 07_06_15

July, 2023!  Happy Canada Day for us, let's start that outside summer cooking! - Page 2 07_06_16

July, 2023!  Happy Canada Day for us, let's start that outside summer cooking! - Page 2 07_06_17

July, 2023!  Happy Canada Day for us, let's start that outside summer cooking! - Page 2 07_06_19

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

I made a disaster burger on a brioche burger roll for supper.
I took the first bite, and it broke in my hand. The onion slice fell on the floor, and the little ketchup
I used was squirted in my nose tip. I wound out eating that burger with a knife and fork.
Tina had a pierogi and she got sick on the cheese that it was filled with. She's dairy / lactose intolerant.
Here it is 3:00 am, so I made a batch of fried meatballs to nibble on. There was ground beef leftover and I didn't want to waste it. Now I will hit the sack and catch a few winks.

bethk likes this post

Imelda HL

Imelda HL

D's youngest brother is visiting, today we celebrated his birthday at home, I cooked some Walnut shrimps, fried noodles and roasted some green beans, it was so nice to see everybody enjoyed the meal

July, 2023!  Happy Canada Day for us, let's start that outside summer cooking! - Page 2 54e38810
July, 2023!  Happy Canada Day for us, let's start that outside summer cooking! - Page 2 Aecc7e10
July, 2023!  Happy Canada Day for us, let's start that outside summer cooking! - Page 2 E14c3610

Cookin Lore

UNCLE JIMMY wrote:I made a disaster burger on a brioche burger roll for supper.
I took the first bite, and it broke in my hand. The onion slice fell on the floor, and the little ketchup
I used was squirted in my nose tip. I wound out eating that burger with a knife and fork.
Tina had a pierogi and she got sick on the cheese that it was filled with. She's dairy / lactose intolerant.
Here it is 3:00 am, so I made a batch of fried meatballs to nibble on. There was ground beef leftover and I didn't want to waste it. Now I will hit the sack and catch a few winks.

OH NO! A disaster burger. But, I eat mine with knife and fork lots of times (The German in me, I guess!) When I order a burger it is often just too big to bite into. But, I don't know what it is about brioche buns lately, I want a nice crusty bun for my burger. Don't like brioche, that needs to be used for something sweet. In my son's Brewpub, they have great sourdough bread, so I have them toast that, and put my burger on it! YUMM!

bethk

bethk
Admin

Imelda HL wrote:D's youngest brother is visiting, today we celebrated his birthday at home, I cooked some Walnut shrimps, fried noodles and roasted some green beans, it was so nice to see everybody enjoyed the meal

July, 2023!  Happy Canada Day for us, let's start that outside summer cooking! - Page 2 54e38810

Ohhhhh! Now I want Walnut Shrimps!!!

Actually, last time I went to my favorite restaurant (20 minute drive away) that serves Walnut Shrimp I found they have an inexpensive lunch dish using chicken instead of shrimp ~ and it was just as tasty. It's the sauce that puts it over the edge for me ~ so good! And the chicken is served with simple steamed/stir fried baby bok choy so it's really a favorite meal.

I just wish I could learn to use chopsticks and not have my food falling around like crazy! (fortunately the restaurant regularly places forks & spoons at the place settings)

UNCLE JIMMY and Imelda HL like this post

bethk

bethk
Admin

Went shopping in Ocala today with a neighbor ~ we ended up going to lunch.

Needless to say, one meal, especially a fairly large lunch, is all I'm going to want.

So HE decided to 'be-on-his-own' and made himself eggs, bacon & toast. I'd feel bad but it was his idea and it's also one of his favorite meals......

bethk

bethk
Admin

From Lore:

"Dinner Tonight. I had a long day at my thrift shop, something messed up the two cash registers. First, nothing electronic, then cash only. People were great though. My first day of doing an 8 hour shift, I generally do 4 hours. It was fine, but I was really hungry when I got home. So, a sausage, fingering potatoes and fresh asparagus!"

July, 2023!  Happy Canada Day for us, let's start that outside summer cooking! - Page 2 07_07_17

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

I made the Pasta al Tonno ( spaghetti with tuna ) A simple, quick meal with bread crumbs garlic, and canned yellow fin tuna. Lemon wedges to compliment the meal.

July, 2023!  Happy Canada Day for us, let's start that outside summer cooking! - Page 2 Img_2328

bethk likes this post

bethk

bethk
Admin

I went to Sam's Club to get some pork ribs. I thought that's what I wanted for supper.

Then I saw some pork shoulder steaks.....really nice looking ~ so that's for supper.

However, I did buy a package of 2 baby back ribs that I'll remove the silver skin from, cut in half, wrap and freeze for another time.

They also had chicken wings for $1.98/lb ~ WAY cheaper than the $3.49/lb at the grocery store that I refuse to pay. So, enough for 2 meals for the two of us for just $13. Even though I knew I had some in the freezer already, it was too good of a price to pass up on something I know we'll eat in the next few months.

I also walked past the 'fresh' fish case and the man there had just put out some King Crab Legs ~ neighbor Jim's FAVORITE. Even at close to $30/lb I knew he'd want some. So I called and he said to get him 2 legs (2 meals for him) ~ $38 for the two nice (already split shells) legs with lots of meat inside and at the end. I dropped them off, wrapped one leg in foil with about 1/2 c. of water before I sealed the foil. He can put it on his gas grill tonight for 10-15 minutes to heat up for his supper. The other one got put into his freezer for another night. And, boy, was he HAPPY!

bethk

bethk
Admin

Supper was exactly what I was hungry for.....BBQ (charcoal grilled) Pork Shoulder Steak with baked potato, broccoli & Corny Corn Muffins.

The Pork Steak got marinated for about 3 hours with a good sprinkle of salt and a small can of Coke ~ I think the Coke actually helps tenderize the pork but I don't have any real scientific evidence....just my opinion. The pork got blotted dry and then I added just a tiny bit of olive oil to each side so they wouldn't stick to the charcoal grill grates. I wanted them to get 'black' ~ especially the fat because I really like that flavor. I got them browned and then let them sit off the heat of the coals to just cook at about 300° with the grill lid down. Then I slathered on some of my peach BBQ sauce and let them REALLY get black. They were just right IMO.

The Jiffy corn muffins had fresh, just cut off the cob corn added to them. If you've never done that please consider it the next time you make them. I don't alter anything except for the fact that the box of mix makes 7 muffins instead of 6 ~ so I just drop a paper cup cake liner into a custard cup the the 'extra' one. Oh, and I always give the inside of the paper muffin cups a spritz of PAM so they don't stick when you try to get them to release from the paper.

The potatoes were cooked in the microwave for 3 minutes and then dried/crisped up on the grill. The broccoli was steamed in a dish with about 1 Tbsp. of water, tightly sealed with plastic wrap and cooked in the microwave on high for 3 minutes ~ allowed to sit for 2-3 minutes before opening & draining off the water. It's always fun to watch the plastic wrap turn into shrink-wrap on the broccoli (or cauliflower) in the dish.

July, 2023!  Happy Canada Day for us, let's start that outside summer cooking! - Page 2 07_08_15

July, 2023!  Happy Canada Day for us, let's start that outside summer cooking! - Page 2 07_08_16

UNCLE JIMMY and Imelda HL like this post

Cookin Lore

bethk wrote:Supper was exactly what I was hungry for.....BBQ (charcoal grilled) Pork Shoulder Steak with baked potato, broccoli & Corny Corn Muffins.

The Pork Steak got marinated for about 3 hours with a good sprinkle of salt and a small can of Coke ~ I think the Coke actually helps tenderize the pork but I don't have any real scientific evidence....just my opinion.  The pork got blotted dry and then I added just a tiny bit of olive oil to each side so they wouldn't stick to the charcoal grill grates.  I wanted them to get 'black' ~ especially the fat because I really like that flavor.  I got them browned and then let them sit off the heat of the coals to just cook at about 300° with the grill lid down.  Then I slathered on some of my peach BBQ sauce and let them REALLY get black.  They were just right IMO.

The Jiffy corn muffins had fresh, just cut off the cob corn added to them.  If you've never done that please consider it the next time you make them.  I don't alter anything except for the fact that the box of mix makes 7 muffins instead of 6 ~ so I just drop a paper cup cake liner into a custard cup the the 'extra' one.  Oh, and I always give the inside of the paper muffin cups a spritz of PAM so they don't stick when you try to get them to release from the paper.

The potatoes were cooked in the microwave for 3 minutes and then dried/crisped up on the grill.  The broccoli was steamed in a dish with about 1 Tbsp. of water, tightly sealed with plastic wrap and cooked in the microwave on high for 3 minutes ~ allowed to sit for 2-3 minutes before opening & draining off the water.  It's always fun to watch the plastic wrap turn into shrink-wrap on the broccoli (or cauliflower) in the dish.

THat all looks and sounds so delish. I am particularly interested in the peach BBQ sauce. Recipe, PLEASE!

July, 2023!  Happy Canada Day for us, let's start that outside summer cooking! - Page 2 07_08_15

July, 2023!  Happy Canada Day for us, let's start that outside summer cooking! - Page 2 07_08_16

bethk

bethk
Admin

Cookin Lore wrote:

THat all looks and sounds so delish.  I am particularly interested in the peach BBQ sauce.  Recipe, PLEASE!

It's not really a 'recipe'......I picked up a jar of peach preserves instead of the Orange Marmalade I wanted.....silly me.

So, didn't know what to do with it. I put some in my mini chop processor and blitzed it up to break up the chunks of peaches, added some bottled Sweet Baby Ray's BBQ sauce.....

VIOLA !!! Peach BBQ Sauce.

Hahahahahaha!

Actually, it's pretty tasty. I use it on pork or chicken. I just like the sweet & sticky taste that gets dark in a hurry under the broiler or on the grill.

NormM

NormM

Here is a recipe I use. Everyone likes it (so far)  I imagine you can substitute any flavored jam you want. I usually leave out the sun dried cherries and increase the amount of preserves to taste.

Cherry BBQ Sauce

3 C. ketchup
1 c. packed lt. brown sugar
3/4 C. distilled white vinegar
2 T. molasses
1T. Worcestershire sauce
1 tsp. chipotle chile powder
1 T. chili powder
1 T. sweet paprika
1 tsp. granulated onion
1 tsp granulated garlic
1 1/2 tsp kosher salt
1/2 tsp black pepper
1/2 C. cherry preserves
1/2 C. sun dried cherries

In 4 qt saucepan, combine all ingr. with 1/2 C. water over med. heat.  Simmer, stirring frequently 20 min until thickens slightly.  Set aside to cool.

bethk likes this post

http://r2j1cp@gmail.com

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Lasagna that Tina made. She also made baked ziti because she had extra sauce to use up.
One pan of lasagna went next door... We are cooking for them to help out in a way.
They lost their son to the fentanyl devil. Now, Tina has brownies baking in the toaster oven for dessert later on. The house smells like the Ooompa Loooompa's are cooking chocolate.

July, 2023!  Happy Canada Day for us, let's start that outside summer cooking! - Page 2 Oompa_10

bethk likes this post

bethk

bethk
Admin

NormM wrote:Here is a recipe I use. Everyone likes it (so far)  I imagine you can substitute any flavored jam you want. I usually leave out the sun dried cherries and increase the amount of preserves to taste.

Cherry BBQ Sauce

3 C. ketchup
1 c. packed lt. brown sugar
3/4 C. distilled white vinegar
2 T. molasses
1T. Worcestershire sauce
1 tsp. chipotle chile powder
1 T. chili powder
1 T. sweet paprika
1 tsp. granulated onion
1 tsp granulated garlic
1 1/2 tsp kosher salt
1/2 tsp black pepper
1/2 C. cherry preserves
1/2 C. sun dried cherries

In 4 qt saucepan, combine all ingr. with 1/2 C. water over med. heat.  Simmer, stirring frequently 20 min until thickens slightly.  Set aside to cool.

Gee, Norm ~ that's almost identical to my Peach BBQ Sauce.....'cept you use cherry preserves.  Oh, and instead of the first 12 ingredients I just squeezed in some of the store bought, already done Sweet Baby Ray's BBQ Sauce.    

Sorry, I just couldn't resist doing the comparison.  

I have your recipe copied over in my 'computer recipe file' that I copied from your blog a while ago.  It really does sound good.  I thought it might be interesting to add some chopped frozen cherries when simmering it down.  I think it would be perfect with duck breasts......

Just my opinion.

NormM and UNCLE JIMMY like this post

Cookin Lore

Thanks both Beth and Norm!  Both recipes sound good, but I'll be using the quicker method.  LOL.

(Beth removed the strike through for you......)

NormM and UNCLE JIMMY like this post

bethk

bethk
Admin

Last night I was out in the courtyard at dusk and there were a couple bats flying around. I figured they were eating the mosquitos and other stuff.

But I mentioned it to Dane today and asked if he would check the spare umbrella (one that doesn't get opened often) to be sure it wasn't a bat condo.

And, SURPRISE!

July, 2023!  Happy Canada Day for us, let's start that outside summer cooking! - Page 2 07_09_17

July, 2023!  Happy Canada Day for us, let's start that outside summer cooking! - Page 2 07_09_18

And no creature was harmed for these pictures ~ as soon as the bat woke up enough and adjusted to the sunlight it took off like a 'bat outta hell' !

Hahahahahaha

bethk

bethk
Admin

I was all set to make grilled brats and vegetarian haluski (just noodles, cabbage, carrots & onions) when neighbor Jim called wanting to go out.

Who am I to be rude to him?

Besides, now I'll be able to ask him to supper tomorrow night ~ easy meal that I know he enjoys.

Oh, wait....I'm not sure I'll be home tomorrow night. I'm driving Lyn to Orlando to have her car serviced.

Tuesday will be just fine for the brats...........

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 2 of 7]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum