Cooking Friends
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Cooking Friends

Friends sharing recipes, cooking techniques & menu ideas in a friendly atmosphere.

You are not connected. Please login or register

April, 2023 ~ No foolin' around.....get busy in the kitchen!

+2
UNCLE JIMMY
bethk
6 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Go down  Message [Page 4 of 6]

bethk

bethk
Admin

Your lemon cake recipe sounds very much like my Lemon Pudding Cake (posted long ago in 'Sweets & Convections' section.  

Personally, I think LEMON is absolutely perfect.....but you go and check for other flavors ~ LOL

(Yes, lemon IS my favorite) I use to make it in custard cups so they were individual servings ~ turned them out of the cups and had cake on the bottom, pudding on top!

So when you're looking, check for recipes for Chocolate Pudding Cake, etc.  You might find just what you're looking for!

bethk

bethk
Admin

JanaAZ wrote:I’ve been baking up a storm lately since I took the bet that I couldn’t turn on my oven for a week. I’ve made 2 loaves of bread, a turtle cheesecake, cottage cheese dill bread, and I’m getting ready to make bear claws

Every time I look at your breads I think to myself.....why don't you just make a couple loafs of the Kalamata Olive Bread you love so much?

And my Lazy Self answers, "nah ~ they sell it and it's just fine....."

Can't wait to see a picture of your bear claws!

bethk

bethk
Admin

Since Dane got good news after his colonoscopy yesterday ~ doctor says he shouldn't have any difficulty eating a 'regular' diet.

So, we decided it was time to give a potato a try. I think he was as hungry for that tiny white ball of starch as I was ~ and I thought it tasted wonderful! LOL

He got his usual salmon and I had my piece of grouper, with a baby baked potato and some steamed asparagus.

April, 2023 ~ No foolin' around.....get busy in the kitchen! - Page 4 04_20_16

Cookin Lore

No cooking again last night for me.  Former neighbour here in the condo came and we went to a lovely little Japanese restaurant basically across the street from me.  It is the tiniest little house that's been there forever.  Their main dining room is about half as big as my living room.  Always busy.  I am not familiar with Japanese food, so I asked her to order.  great food, wonderful presentation, and I, of course had to ask for a fork.  So embarassing.  I think I'll try the "sticks" at home when it doesn't matter when I mess up.  I do like my food with a little more spice, but it was good.

Lisa was my neighbour,  in both the condo unit directly beside mine, as well as in the parking garage, and we hit it off from the first day we parked our cars side by side.  She's a registered nurse and one day shortly after I moved here she was coming home from a shift in the OR.  She was tired, I asked her what she had planned for dinner................"Probably a bowl of cereal"... So I said "I'm making chicken livers, would you like to come over?"  She had never had them loved them, asked for the leftovers for lunch the next day, and from then on she was ready to try basically anything I made!

Unfortunately, I lost the battle of where she decided to live, boyfriend and a house by the Niagara river won. Silly girl, right?????

bethk likes this post

bethk

bethk
Admin

Dane didn't have any difficulty last night after eating his supper of salmon, baked potato & asparagus.

So tonight he's asked for a chicken pot pie ~ I'm hoping we don't over-do his quest to return to a 'regular' menu too fast.....chicken, starch (pie crust), mixed vegetables (including carrots, peas & possibly corn) AND gravy.

But, hey, if he wants to give it a try I'll make it for him.

UNCLE JIMMY likes this post

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Tonight it will be spaghetti with tuna and toasted bread crumbs; with minced garlic and
lemon juice! Oh! by the way! Tina finally found garlic that tastes and smells like garlic. Only problem is. She forgot where she bought it from. April, 2023 ~ No foolin' around.....get busy in the kitchen! - Page 4 1f625 .......

bethk likes this post

bethk

bethk
Admin

Hahahahaha! Tina and I are in the same place.....

Half the time I can't remember what's in my pantry ~ just today I went to the store to buy some orange marmalade.....brought home 2 jars and promptly placed them on the pantry shelf next to the OTHER jar of orange marmalade.....

(( sigh ))

Cookin Lore

Or, we go the other way............... I think I went to the grocery store three times because I needed butter and promptly forgot about it.

bethk

bethk
Admin

The chicken pot pie filling is done.  I like to let it cool down before I make the pie so the crust doesn't get soggy as it bakes.  The inside of the bottom crust will get a brushing of beaten egg to help keep it from absorbing the filling, also.

I'll start it in a 450° oven, on the bottom rack, for about 20 minutes.  Then I'll lower the temperature to 350° and put the pie on a foil line sheet pan in the middle of the oven and let it continue baking for another 45 minutes or until it's bubbly & golden.

Then a 30 minute wait before I cut it so it doesn't run all over our plates when I serve it.

We'll see.....

( I always have such good intentions but it doesn't always come out as I plan..... )

April, 2023 ~ No foolin' around.....get busy in the kitchen! - Page 4 04_21_20

Amazing!  I had the perfect amount of filling.....that seldom happens!

April, 2023 ~ No foolin' around.....get busy in the kitchen! - Page 4 04_21_21

Top crust egg washed & sprinkled with s&p....

April, 2023 ~ No foolin' around.....get busy in the kitchen! - Page 4 04_21_22

And this is why I ALWAYS bake it on a lined sheet pan......

April, 2023 ~ No foolin' around.....get busy in the kitchen! - Page 4 04_21_23

bethk

bethk
Admin

My pot pie filling was still a little runny ~ but it wasn't bad at all.

I had wanted to wait another 15 minutes or so before cutting it but ONE of us asked twice if it was time to eat ???

I used some of the pickled onions I made for the pot luck to add some sliced cucumbers & radishes for a quick salad. It was really tasty and cut down on some of the richness of the pot pie filling.

April, 2023 ~ No foolin' around.....get busy in the kitchen! - Page 4 04_21_24

bethk

bethk
Admin

We had our last Ladies' Lunch of the season today ~ Eight of us went to Chop House for brunch. Everyone had a great time, the cocktails were wonderful and the food delicious.

It's the time of year when the 'snowbirds' start closing up their homes to return to their northern locations.

And I let everyone know it was our last organized lunch. I'm tired of planning something for every week ~ I just want some time to do what I want to do without running interference for everyone else.

So, for supper there was nothing for me ~ I was still fine and not at all hungry.

HE ended up reheating some of the pulled pork that I froze after the potluck. I think his stomach is back to normal! He's not had any problems and seems to feel fine ~ so that's a good thing.

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

bethk wrote:We had our last Ladies' Lunch of the season today ~ Eight of us went to Chop House for brunch.  Everyone had a great time, the cocktails were wonderful and the food delicious.

It's the time of year when the 'snowbirds' start closing up their homes to return to their northern locations.  

And I let everyone know it was our last organized lunch.  I'm tired of planning something for every week ~ I just want some time to do what I want to do without running interference for everyone else.  

So, for supper there was nothing for me ~ I was still fine and not at all hungry.

HE ended up reheating some of the pulled pork that I froze after the potluck.  I think his stomach is back to normal!  He's not had any problems and seems to feel fine ~ so that's a good thing.

I'm glad to hear that he feels better! ...... It takes a while, and as the Dr. said to me.......... "Jim, you have diverticulosis, and when you get an attack, it means there is an infection in the colon caused by something getting stuck in the folds of the intestines!" Then you have diverticulitis...That is pain, and as far as seeds causing that' that's old school theory.Rolling Eyes  

pale

bethk likes this post

bethk

bethk
Admin

We're having leftover chicken pot pie for supper....

Cookin Lore

I have company coming for supper. Cousin and Wife from British Columbia, Uncle Ernie, and sister-in-law and boyfriend I have made a large dish of lentil salad; potatoes, sweet potatoes and squash chuncks which will be roasted in oven. A cucumber/onion/tomato salad with feta; And am doing some calamari steaks in my grill pan, as well as some Lake Erie bass. There will be garlic bread, and company is bringing ice cream for dessert. Will try to remember to take some pictures.

Sister-in-law's boyfriend eats like the legendary lumberjack, loves my food, and is about as "fat" as a stick. Unbelievable what he can eat and never gain an ounce!

bethk and UNCLE JIMMY like this post

bethk

bethk
Admin

HE asked if I'd be serving the same cucumber/radish/onion salad as the other evening ~ so it was an exact duplicate! And it was still just as good!

April, 2023 ~ No foolin' around.....get busy in the kitchen! - Page 4 04_23_13

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

We had taco's DD made. We celebrated our 57th anniversary today.
Maria did all the cooking, and the kids were here to enjoy the meal.

bethk likes this post

bethk

bethk
Admin

Happy Anniversary Jimmy & Tina!!!

57 years is a few more than us.....but we're not too far behind.

Cookin Lore

UNCLE JIMMY wrote:We had taco's DD made. We celebrated our 57th anniversary today.
Maria did all the cooking, and the kids were here to enjoy the meal.

Happy Anniversary! 57 WOW! We made it to 51 1/2

bethk

bethk
Admin

From Lore:

"Dinner Last Night. Visitors from BC over for seafood dinner. Everyone enjoyed the calamari steaks that I found at Costco. Made a lentil salad using my deep red casserole dish. Lots of veggies in there. 90 year old uncle really liked it. He’s diabetic and it is better for him than the potato salad I often make for him."

April, 2023 ~ No foolin' around.....get busy in the kitchen! - Page 4 04_23_14

April, 2023 ~ No foolin' around.....get busy in the kitchen! - Page 4 04_23_15

JanaAZ

With Steve still being sick (damn you Covid) I’m still stuck home and still baking. The other day I started making bear claws they take a few days to make but this time I did it in 2. They are a pill to make but when I wanted one about 20 years ago, nobody in Phoenix made them. Now they’re available in a few places but I like mine better.

April, 2023 ~ No foolin' around.....get busy in the kitchen! - Page 4 Img_8310

And with all of this going on, I made Hungarian goulash because I had all the stuff I needed and I need to turn off the 3rd fridge

Cookin Lore

bethk wrote:From Lore:

"Dinner Last Night.  Visitors from BC over for seafood dinner. Everyone enjoyed the calamari steaks that I found at Costco. Made a lentil salad using my deep red casserole dish. Lots of veggies in there. 90 year old uncle really liked it. He’s diabetic and it is better for him than the potato salad I often make for him."

April, 2023 ~ No foolin' around.....get busy in the kitchen! - Page 4 04_23_14

April, 2023 ~ No foolin' around.....get busy in the kitchen! - Page 4 04_23_15

Thanks, Beth, That was fast!
The large rectangular dish has sweet potato, yukon gold, and fingerling potatoes, and some butternut squash, all veggies I happened to have on hand; the items on the small plate bottom left, are some of the calamari steaks, more in the white fish shaped dish, top left along with some Lake Erie Bass. calamari just spiced, drizzled with oil and then done in my grill pan. then tomato, onion, cuc salad with feta; fresh tartar sauce!

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Chicken soup for supper tonight.

bethk likes this post

bethk

bethk
Admin

I finally ordered some of Rich's Mad Hunky All Purpose Seasoning ~ so many times he offered free samples of the stuff when he was just starting his business. But I don't do a lot of seasoned meats ~ s&p is about it for me. But I thought since we have neighbor Mark who likes to play with his electric smoker, I'd order some ~ I split the pound package for the two of us.

So I seasoned a couple pork chops this afternoon and let them sit marinating in the refrigerator. We liked it but prefer our pork plain. So I'll use it on my ribs, maybe some on some chicken...can't see putting it on my fish but I'm sure some do.

The baked sweet potato was so good after going a long time without ~ I do think HIS stomach is back to normal. (I've probably jinked him and he'll be writhing in pain in the middle of the night now.....). The best thing on my plate, IMO, was the grilled asparagus ~ LOVE grilled vegetables!

April, 2023 ~ No foolin' around.....get busy in the kitchen! - Page 4 04_24_23

NormM

NormM

Crab legs were $7.99 /lb yesterday. Most of last year they were clost to 20.00 and around 10 so far this year but it was such a good deal and we both love them I got some for dinner tonight. I'd say it was a crab boil but very little was actually boiled. Eggs were steamed in a separate pot for 10 minutes. Crab and shrimp were steamed for about 5 minutes and the corn was baked, husks-on. They were placed in a cold oven and it was turned on to 350º. 30 minutes later they came out and were allowed to cool enough to handle. They were easy to shuck and silk. The potatoes and Conecuh sausage were the only things boilde.April, 2023 ~ No foolin' around.....get busy in the kitchen! - Page 4 Img_0819
April, 2023 ~ No foolin' around.....get busy in the kitchen! - Page 4 Img_0820

http://r2j1cp@gmail.com

Cookin Lore

I love crab, fav of course is KING crab, I think it is way better than lobster, but I'll take either one, any time!

bethk, NormM and UNCLE JIMMY like this post

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 4 of 6]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum