Cooking Friends
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Cooking Friends

Friends sharing recipes, cooking techniques & menu ideas in a friendly atmosphere.

You are not connected. Please login or register

April, 2023 ~ No foolin' around.....get busy in the kitchen!

+2
UNCLE JIMMY
bethk
6 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

Go down  Message [Page 6 of 6]

bethk

bethk
Admin

Cookin Lore wrote:
UNCLE JIMMY wrote:I already cooked the Sunday Supper of City Chicken. I mixed the pork and veal, and breaded them, and all ready in the fridge for frying tomorrow. I made 42 of them. It was DIL's birthday yesterday; so we will celebrate that with her favorite meals of city chix.
The other girls can peel the potatoes, and Tina can make the gravy.
We have quarts of apple sauce that we canned last fall. Canned corn for a veggie.
DD is baking an Angel food cake. Another favorite of DIL's.

What is City Chicken?

Found on Google:

"People also ask:

What is city chicken?

City chicken is a skewer of pork cubes that are breaded, deep-fried, and then baked to resemble fried chicken. I like to use all pork, but the tradition is to use pork and veal combined. I grew up in Northeast Ohio, and this was my all-time favorite dish when I was little."

Beth's notes: There was a time when chicken was more expensive than pork so people made substitutions to 'mimic' fried chicken. My mom worked in a grocery store and would bring their version of 'city chicken' home occasionally ~ ground pork & veal, shaped into rectangles and breaded with fine cracker meal. It was shallow fried until cooked & crispy.

UNCLE JIMMY likes this post

bethk

bethk
Admin

So I had to come up with a meal to cook tonight......

I went into the garage freezer and found pork ribs, boneless pork shoulder 'ribs' and pork chops....

Hmmmmm ~ wonder if we should have PORK ??????

LOL

So, pork chops it was. I also pulled out a deli container of leftover mashed potatoes from whenever ~ the corn was fresh, on-the-cob corn that was purchased before the refrigerator fail and moved to the garage refrigerator.

April, 2023 ~ No foolin' around.....get busy in the kitchen! - Page 6 04_30_14

I won't even suggest that I had leftover Lemon Sunshine Cake for my breakfast and will probably have more as an evening snack in a little while......

Hahahahaha!

bethk

bethk
Admin

From Lore:

"Dinner Tonight. Sirloin tip ‘slice’ roasted potatoes and Spaghetti squash. I love squashes!"

April, 2023 ~ No foolin' around.....get busy in the kitchen! - Page 6 04_30_15

bethk likes this post

bethk

bethk
Admin

Looks good, Lore!

I have a spaghetti squash in the refrigerator that I roasted in the toaster oven yesterday. I wanted to roast it ahead of time because the last two I had were 'green' and not good at all. If this one had not looked & smelled ripe I would have tossed it before baking it off.

It's one of my favorites, too!

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

bethk wrote:
Cookin Lore wrote:
UNCLE JIMMY wrote:I already cooked the Sunday Supper of City Chicken. I mixed the pork and veal, and breaded them, and all ready in the fridge for frying tomorrow. I made 42 of them. It was DIL's birthday yesterday; so we will celebrate that with her favorite meals of city chix.
The other girls can peel the potatoes, and Tina can make the gravy.
We have quarts of apple sauce that we canned last fall. Canned corn for a veggie.
DD is baking an Angel food cake. Another favorite of DIL's.

What is City Chicken?

Found on Google:

"People also ask:

What is city chicken?

City chicken is a skewer of pork cubes that are breaded, deep-fried, and then baked to resemble fried chicken. I like to use all pork, but the tradition is to use pork and veal combined. I grew up in Northeast Ohio, and this was my all-time favorite dish when I was little."

Beth's notes:  There was a time when chicken was more expensive than pork so people made substitutions to 'mimic' fried chicken.  My mom worked in a grocery store and would bring their version of 'city chicken' home occasionally ~ ground pork & veal, shaped into rectangles and breaded with fine cracker meal.  It was shallow fried until cooked & crispy.
That is the same story we were told. A lot of times it was ground so that one wouldn't hit fat or grizzle. We grind it, and 12 of them are made without veal. DD's boyfriend will not eat veal, so his is made with just pork. ( it's the baby in the tent thing ) and processing it so young.

I made 42 of them.

April, 2023 ~ No foolin' around.....get busy in the kitchen! - Page 6 Img_2325

bethk and Imelda HL like this post

bethk

bethk
Admin

Thread Closed ~ ~ Move on to May.....

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 6 of 6]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum