Cooking Friends
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Cooking Friends

Friends sharing recipes, cooking techniques & menu ideas in a friendly atmosphere.

You are not connected. Please login or register

April, 2023 ~ No foolin' around.....get busy in the kitchen!

+2
UNCLE JIMMY
bethk
6 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Go down  Message [Page 2 of 6]

bethk

bethk
Admin

HE got a call from the local VA letting him know the physician who had scheduled his colonoscopy has just retired. They offered to schedule him at the VA hospital in Gainesville, but that's a little over an hour drive away. So he said he'd schedule one with his physician here in The Villages.

Lucky for HIM they had an opening this morning for the consultation and he's scheduled for the procedure on the 19th ~ which is way earlier than the VA had scheduled him ~ which was the end of May. And his physician ordered a CT Scan and told him to call the Imaging place to get it scheduled before his appointment on the 19th. When he called they said he should come by for the 'prep'.....Hmmmmm, that was a new one on him.

Turns out it's a CT With Contrast.....so they gave him THREE bottles of barium he needs to get down before the scan.

ICK!

I don't know that I could keep that much down....and then there's always the joy of finding out the stuff turns into concrete once inside......

But, hey, no problem......four days later he gets to start taking the other icky stuff that will clear it all out of his system.

As if he didn't feel bad enough..........

So, to help cheer him up I'm making him a grilled steak & cauliflower & asparagus for supper. He might as well have a couple really good meals before he can't eat real food.....

UNCLE JIMMY likes this post

bethk

bethk
Admin

He (as well as I) enjoyed this meal more than usual.....the grilled vegetables were delicious and the flavor from being cooked over charcoal was excellent. The steak was a USDA Prime NY Strip Steak ~ I went to Sam's Club today and couldn't resist! I don't usually buy 2 steaks (two meals) for $22 but I thought HE deserved one really memorable meal before he starts his procedure prep....and that goes on for days.

And I will say HE enjoyed every bite ~ or seemed to from my vantage point sitting next to him! LOL

I had prepped the steak by salting it liberally and letting it sit, uncovered, in the refrigerator this afternoon to 'air dry'. It had excellent beef flavor and was really tender, which is what you expect from Prime Beef.

The second steak is wrapped and in the freezer for AFTER he's done with all his doctor's visits and I'm sure he'll look forward to it at some point.

April, 2023 ~ No foolin' around.....get busy in the kitchen! - Page 2 04_07_15

UNCLE JIMMY and Imelda HL like this post

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Had breakfast of eggs and toast, and supper was a slice of pizza.....
I did have a beer to celebrate national beer day today. Oh! and a cup of elbow mac and cheese.
Tina grazed today, and she was sick and had dry heaves..... Another issue with her health.

bethk likes this post

bethk

bethk
Admin

No cooking here tonight.

Today was the monthly neighborhood brunch ~ I went without HIM.

After thinking I had prepared a fabulous 'last supper' before he starts to prep his insides for tests, instead of being a wonderful meal it turned into a night of pain.....and I can't for the life of me figure out what set him off.

But he's still moving around ~ slept most of the day.  I sure hope we find a solution to his digestive problems.

So, tonight he had soft eggs and tomorrow he'll have....soft eggs.....and the next day he'll probably have ........  (you guessed it)......  soft eggs.

NormM

NormM

Charlie has plans and will not be here at supper time tomorrow so I guess you could call our meal either Good Saturday or Easter Eve. Charlie has plans and will not be here at supper time tomorrow. Easter isn't a big meal deal for us but still we should have at least something a little special. Bone-in not pre sliced is my preference. This kind of ham tastes best to me and makes the best leftover ham and egg salad. I cooked it until warm through with an apricot glaze. Green beans were Southern style like mom used to make... takes an hour. The secret to my deviled eggs is a pinch or powdered Ranch dressing. The rest of the sides were ready made.

April, 2023 ~ No foolin' around.....get busy in the kitchen! - Page 2 Img_0813
April, 2023 ~ No foolin' around.....get busy in the kitchen! - Page 2 Img_0812

bethk, UNCLE JIMMY and Imelda HL like this post

http://r2j1cp@gmail.com

bethk

bethk
Admin

Hey. Norm......there's an egg missing!

Your meal looks delicious.

I'm planning on Dane eating soft cooked eggs tomorrow and I'll probably steam some of the mini frozen dumplings and serve with bottled duck sauce.....

Happy Easter to all!

NormM likes this post

bethk

bethk
Admin

I decided to go through the freezer for 'little, lost items....' ~ you know the ones.....

I found two lonely Johnsonville Smoked Brats, all wrapped up tight and have been in there for probably 6 months or longer. Time for them to be used.

So, with the brats to start with, I have planned my meal (since HE will simply have his customary easy-on-the-stomach soft cooked eggs).

I've cooked some egg noodles. I've blanched some green beans (still from the patio pots) and I've sliced/chopped a bit of fresh cabbage and the last of an onion that was in the drawer.

I'll blister the beans & reserve as I brown the sliced smoked brats and remove them for a bit. Then the cabbage & onion will get a quick stir fry until tender and everything will get tossed together for a sort of take on Haluski....always a tasty meal.

It's good to know I don't have any leftovers to try to tolerate....and I know it's something I'll enjoy since I've not had it in a long while.

bethk

bethk
Admin

Happy Easter Haluski hit the spot!

Man, it's been ages since I've had a meal at home with noodles (or rice or potatoes or starchy vegetables....). The addition of the blistered green beans was excellent. I've got to remember that for the next time!

April, 2023 ~ No foolin' around.....get busy in the kitchen! - Page 2 04_09_15

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Just waiting for dessert after a luscious meal .... of ham, turkey, roast cut and tied prime rib.
Kielbasi, hot dogs and spaghetti for the kids.... (they don't like anything but.)
We had mashed potatoes, sweet and candied sweet potatoes.
more.... hahahahaha. Potato salad, macaroni salad, brussels sprouts, stuffing, asparagus, carrots,
corn, gravy, ham gravy / sauce, cauliflower, crescent rolls. Cheese Cake, carrot cake, pound cake for dessert.

bethk and Imelda HL like this post

bethk

bethk
Admin

WOW, Jimmy ~ sounds like a buffet set for 40!

bethk

bethk
Admin

From Lore:

"Dinner Tonight. One picture of my salad using greens from my aero garden, and the other a duck breast I roasted and a lentil salad I actually made for my Easter dinner last night. Yumm to both!"

April, 2023 ~ No foolin' around.....get busy in the kitchen! - Page 2 04_09_16

April, 2023 ~ No foolin' around.....get busy in the kitchen! - Page 2 04_08_13

bethk, NormM and UNCLE JIMMY like this post

bethk

bethk
Admin

YUM is right!

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Yeah! ..... All that, plus 4 kids running around through the kitchen to the dining room. The Easter basket candy helped fire them up too.
bounce

bethk likes this post

Cookin Lore

NormM wrote:Charlie has plans and will not be here at supper time tomorrow so I guess you could call our meal either Good Saturday or Easter Eve. Charlie has plans  and will not be here at supper time tomorrow.  Easter isn't a big meal deal for us but still we should have at least something  a little special. Bone-in not pre sliced is my preference. This kind of ham tastes best to me and makes the best leftover ham and egg salad. I cooked it until warm through with an apricot glaze.  Green beans were Southern style like mom used to make... takes an hour. The secret to my deviled eggs is a pinch or powdered Ranch dressing. The rest of the sides were ready made.

April, 2023 ~ No foolin' around.....get busy in the kitchen! - Page 2 Img_0813
April, 2023 ~ No foolin' around.....get busy in the kitchen! - Page 2 Img_0812

Everything looks great. I made some devilled eggs also and took them to my volunteering shift. Didn't take a picture, but I dyed the whites with food colouring, they were very well received in the lunch room!

NormM

NormM

Here are two things I made with leftover Easter ham: ham & bean soup and ham & egg saladApril, 2023 ~ No foolin' around.....get busy in the kitchen! - Page 2 Img_0814
April, 2023 ~ No foolin' around.....get busy in the kitchen! - Page 2 Img_0815

bethk and UNCLE JIMMY like this post

bethk

bethk
Admin

I love that you continue that old tradition in your family of making ham & egg salad.

It always reminds me of my good friend who HAS to have Creamed Eggs over Toast on the Monday after Easter. She 'face time' calls her sisters and they all make the same lunch!

It just wouldn't be the holiday without those special meals....

NormM and UNCLE JIMMY like this post

bethk

bethk
Admin

HE is stll eating eggs. Man, I'd be SO sick of eggs by now....

He assured me it wouldn't bother him whatever I cooked for myself ~ he knows he doesn't want anything that might upset his system.

So, I took him at his word ~ ~ and, boy oh boy, I was SO hungry for some potato....anything potato. I ended up grating a peeled potato, adding some finely chopped onion and making some hash browns to go with my broiled (in the toaster oven) burger and some microwaved asparagus.

And I DO think the fragrance of those hashbrowns almost took him over the top. But, I gotta hand it to him, he didn't try to sneak a bite. He knew he'd suffer the consequences if he did eat some.

April, 2023 ~ No foolin' around.....get busy in the kitchen! - Page 2 04_10_15

Cookin Lore

I've had lots of ham and bean soup, but never ham and egg salad.  Sounds great, what is in it besides eggs and ham? Pickles, mayo, maybe some red or other colour peppers?

I turned my oven on to clean this morning, and it was done just before I left for my shift. So, when I came home to see my sparkling clean oven, I didn't feel like cooking any more. So, it was cheese and crackers for dinner. Tomorrow I'll cook again. LOL

NormM

NormM

Cookin Lore wrote:I've had lots of ham and bean soup, but never ham and egg salad.  Sounds great, what is in it besides eggs and ham? Pickles, mayo, maybe some red or other colour peppers?

I turned my oven on to clean this morning, and it was done just before I left for my shift.  So, when I came home to see my sparkling clean oven, I didn't feel like cooking any more.  So, it was cheese and crackers for dinner.  Tomorrow I'll cook again. LOL

Here is the recipe. Everyone likes it.  I think using a bone-in ham, not spiral cut, makes a big difference.

Ham n Egg Salad

Ingredients
2 c. Left over baked ham, diced very small

4 hard boiled eggs, chopped

1 c. mayonnaise

1/2 c. chopped celery

1/4 c. chopped sweet onion

1/4 c chopped dried apricots Have used dried apples and or golden raisins
Salt and Pepper to taste

I usually use 3 Cup\s of ham and 6 hard cooked eggs . ( I steam them instead of boiling them... They peel easier and the yolks aren't green around the edges.)

Instructions
Combine diced ham, eggs, celery, onion, and dried apricot. Add mayonnaise and mix. Salt and pepper to taste. If possible, allow to sit in refrigerator for 1 hour. Serve alone or on bread.

bethk, UNCLE JIMMY and Imelda HL like this post

Cookin Lore

Thanks. I would not have thought of a sweet addition as the apricots. Sounds great.

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Tina was out to Walmart early  early this morning and picked up romaine lettuce;
came home and made Italian wedding soup with it.
I had it for breakfast as a matter of fact. hahahahaha !
Leftovers for supper. I won't eat turkey breast, but ham I will eat. I'm not big on leftovers.
Right now, it's 16:28:52 I'm having a couple 7 & 7's just to mellow out before supper, and growing an appetite.....

Cookin Lore

There's romaine lettuce in Italian wedding soup? How strange!

bethk

bethk
Admin

No cooking tonight ~ we had a neighborhood patio party. I did make a pineapple upside down cake to take.....but didn't even think of taking a pic of it. Oh, well, I'm sure it's on the forum someplace.

Dane didn't go. If he can't eat and can't drink he didn't want to be around all the temptations!

I'm so tired of him being sick...........sadly, probably not as tired as HE is of being sick.....

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Cookin Lore wrote:There's romaine lettuce in Italian wedding soup?  How strange!

Usually it is spinach or chicory, but romaine lettuce is very tender, and easier on her stomach.
My grandmom showed me how to make soups and dishes with greens, and
actually she said, One can use any edible greens, like arugula, or even iceberg lettuce. My favorite is dandelion greens or grape leaves.
I used to get the kids to pick the dandelion greens, and I would pay them
each a quarter to get a paper bag full. Smile They shrink to like 10% when cooked. affraid

bethk likes this post

bethk

bethk
Admin

I had picked up a rotisserie chicken at Walmart (the only place that sells small chickens that are cooked until WELL, WELL DONE) and I pulled the meat off the bones. I made a huge batch of chicken salad that will be my lunch & supper for the near future.

HE makes his own eggs (and even washes his skillet) so I don't have to do anything but be sure there is a good supply of eggs in the refrigerator.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 2 of 6]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum