Cooking Friends
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Cooking Friends

Friends sharing recipes, cooking techniques & menu ideas in a friendly atmosphere.

You are not connected. Please login or register

April, 2023 ~ No foolin' around.....get busy in the kitchen!

+2
UNCLE JIMMY
bethk
6 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Go down  Message [Page 3 of 6]

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Dear....... Dear ......Dear! We were supposed to have fried in butter and white wine
fish. Well..... That got blown into the S...shack and got changed to pizza. DDIL is supposed to
pick it up and here we go ; waiting.
I cannot eat too late because it is tough on mine and Tina's stomach issues.
Here we go, It's 5:30 and still waiting.... Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad

bethk likes this post

bethk

bethk
Admin

I feel bad for EVERYONE suffering from stomach/gut issues......

And I feel bad for ME because I have to decide what I want to pick up for my supper (not really ~ but I DO need to come to a decision.....LOL). I'm leaning to an order of Mongolian Beef with rice but that could change depending upon whether it starts to pour down rain and I don't want to go out in the bad weather.....

bethk

bethk
Admin

The threat of rain blew away so I went to pick up some supper.

I got about half way through my meal and I realized they really added the heat to my order! It was REALLY good but, boy, spicier than it usually is in the restaurant. When I got done I went looking for some yogurt in the refrigerator ~ alas, I have none ~ I was going to soothe my tongue and lips with a bit.....LOL

April, 2023 ~ No foolin' around.....get busy in the kitchen! - Page 3 04_13_15

UNCLE JIMMY likes this post

bethk

bethk
Admin

From Lore:

"Dinner Tonight. Two pieces from a sirloin tip roast, done in the oven with crinkle cut potatoes. And a salad with greens all Dom my aeroGarden. Lettuce, dill, mint, and some small tomatoes. Yumm!"

April, 2023 ~ No foolin' around.....get busy in the kitchen! - Page 3 04_13_16

bethk and UNCLE JIMMY like this post

Cookin Lore

Thanks, again. The tomatoes are n ot from the aeroGarden. The two lettuce plants produce enough in a week for 2 generous salads. Well worth my investment!

bethk

bethk
Admin

That's how I feel about our green beans, snow peas, hot peppers, etc. that we grow in the patio pots out in our courtyard.

It's a bit of work and takes some tending but the reward is wonderful.

I just wish we could grow a decent tomato ~ but, alas, we tried for about 5 years and never got one that tasted good. Bad soil. Too hot.

bethk

bethk
Admin

Dane has to prep for his CT w/contrast ~ 3 bottles of barium is what he gets to consume until his test at 3:00 this afternoon.

He just came to me and asked if I could get a burger out to thaw for him. All he's had for the last 4 days is eggs ~ he's tired of them. (I would have been tired of them after TWO days!)

So, hopefully, a burger patty will be kind to his stomach tonight.....

bethk

bethk
Admin

I sure hope HE doesn't have any problems from tonight's meal. It's what he was hungry for and asked to have.

I grilled zucchini & onions on the charcoal grill before I put on the burgers ~ and, NO, they're not burned.....just caramelized really well.

April, 2023 ~ No foolin' around.....get busy in the kitchen! - Page 3 04_14_15

April, 2023 ~ No foolin' around.....get busy in the kitchen! - Page 3 04_14_16

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Tonight was cup of soup noodles. Tina made beef stew, but I WAS IN NO MOOD TO EAT THAT....
This morning, I made a mushroom egg omelet; with a slice of cheese inside.

We have been having a heat wave for a couple day's. It was 86 degrees out today; so we were
using the A/C cooling. It's a nice cool 72 inside....

bethk likes this post

bethk

bethk
Admin

Short order cook here......one meal for HIM and one meal for me.

He didn't want much ~ he got some sauteed shrimp with zucchini & asparagus.

I made the Mediterranean Salad and added shrimp instead of chicken. I also added some sliced kale (massaged with the dressing to soften it) and a can of garbanzo beans ~ just to try out some different variations. It wasn't bad at all! I will say the kalamata olives are still the star of the whole salad! I sliced my sauteed shrimp in half to make them more 'bite size' and easier to eat (plus it looks like a whole lot more).

April, 2023 ~ No foolin' around.....get busy in the kitchen! - Page 3 04_15_24

April, 2023 ~ No foolin' around.....get busy in the kitchen! - Page 3 04_15_25

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

We ate differently tonight. Tina had a fried egg, and home fries...... 20 minutes later,
she released it out. I had a chipped ham & home fries in a pita pocket.
Now I will fry a couple eggs for breakfast, and set them aside for reheat in the microwave...

bethk likes this post

bethk

bethk
Admin

I asked HIM what he wanted for supper ~ expecting him to say he was going to start his 'soft egg' eating plan for the next two days.

Instead, HE said, "Pot Roast, Mashed Potatoes, Carrots, Onions & Gravy"......

I thought for a moment, then said, "YOU CAN'T EAT THAT!"

To which he replied, "you asked WHAT I wanted ~ you didn't specify if I was ABLE to eat it....."

Hahahahahaha

We had chicken chunks with Korean BBQ Sauce, Roast Cauliflower and Roast Asparagus ~ something HE could eat!

April, 2023 ~ No foolin' around.....get busy in the kitchen! - Page 3 04_16_15

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Had Giagunda massive size rigatoni Tina got at an Italian importing store.
They were like lead sheets....... Heavy !!!!!  O M G '.
Any way, this AM early, she made the sauce with our canned tomatoes that we
canned last fall. She added lugonaga Italian sausage and garlic. It was delicious.
I'm ready for an ice cream cone now

April, 2023 ~ No foolin' around.....get busy in the kitchen! - Page 3 Img_2324

bethk likes this post

bethk

bethk
Admin

WOW! Those are huge!!!

Are you sure they weren't actually water lines cut into pieces? LOL

It looks really good ~ all the work of canning good tomatoes pays off!

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

bethk wrote:WOW! Those are huge!!!

Are you sure they weren't actually water lines cut into pieces?   LOL

It looks really good ~ all the work of canning good tomatoes pays off!
It surely did pay off Beth. That meal calls for a ( good for leftovers ) meal; only with a different brand pasta. We almost always use Barilla brand for
taste and texture. It's also one we shouldn't forget either, with Great Grandma's name 'Barilla'.
LOL

bethk likes this post

Cookin Lore

My diiner tonight. No pictures, but, I just finished what may well be the best lasagna I have ever had. I bought a ready made one from a local fruit/vegetable market, in their freezer section.. The lasagna is from "The village kitchen". I love lasagne and making it myself is such a pain as I have very little freezer space. Made a great salad to go with the lasagna. I am soooo not into purchasing ready made meals, but think I'm going to try more.

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Supper was eggplant parmesan, that Tina picked up on way home from grocery shopping. It was super delicious. I had my dessert of an ice cream cone with vanilla ice cream.

bethk likes this post

bethk

bethk
Admin

Tomorrow evening is our neighborhood potluck. Stupid me, suggested we supply Pulled Pork Sandwiches for everyone......

Neighbor Mark has an electric smoker he loves playing around with and he volunteered to smoke the pork shoulder roasts ~ I picked up three 6-7 pound bone in pork shoulders at Sam's Club. He had only smoked one at a time and didn't realize the additional mass of two more big pork shoulders might extend the 'normal' smoking time. He thought he would be up to temperature by 8 p.m. but ended up staying up until 11:00 and then breaking it apart so it would cool quicker. Long night for him.

This morning I started 'pullin' the pork and finally got done 3 hours later! I must be a special sort of idiot to volunteer to do it.

Yesterday I made a jar of pickled onions to take. Boy, I do love those ~ and they're good on so many things.

I'm also making a Cauliflower, Pea & Bacon Salad, as well as another pineapple upside down cake because it was so very well received at the last potluck party.

April, 2023 ~ No foolin' around.....get busy in the kitchen! - Page 3 04_18_28

April, 2023 ~ No foolin' around.....get busy in the kitchen! - Page 3 04_18_29

NormM and UNCLE JIMMY like this post

bethk

bethk
Admin

OK, this is IT! I'm done for the night.....

My Cauliflower, Pea & Bacon Salad for tomorrow ~ the bacon is fried but will be crisped up in the microwave and added when I toss it together so it doesn't get soggy.

Hopefully tomorrow morning I'll have time to make the pineapple upside down cake. I think I'm going to make it in a 9 X 13 pan, lined completely with parchment so I can get it to turn out completely. It should work fine.

April, 2023 ~ No foolin' around.....get busy in the kitchen! - Page 3 04_18_30

NormM

NormM

We had Beef Stroganoff tonight. I made egg noodles instead of using store bought.April, 2023 ~ No foolin' around.....get busy in the kitchen! - Page 3 Img_0817
April, 2023 ~ No foolin' around.....get busy in the kitchen! - Page 3 Img_0816

http://r2j1cp@gmail.com

Cookin Lore

I went to an out of town market today with a friend.  Main reason for going was because I know that there I can always get great pork hocks there at a good price.  Going to a family sort of house warming on Friday where hubby's cousin is coming from British Columbia.  His late mother of from whom I learned to make headcheese, so that's what I am making.  Interesting, why is that name is  a dish that has neither head nor cheese in it?.  Market is about a 45 min. drive, and well worth the drive.

Biggest problem is/was that I have little freezer space, but I did find some real "treats".  Really meaty beef ribs that I can't find often, and some Meditteranean sea bass (whole fish) which I'll do stuffed for 90 year old Uncle Ernie in a few days.  He loves fish, and would surely never do that on his own.
Then, of course, we stopped for lunch, I had a wonderful shepherds' pie in a restaurant my sister and I liked; she had what she said was wonderful liver and onions.  No pictures, no dinner tonight.  Great day with an old friend and neighbour.

PS on edit. My sister and I used to go out for lunch a lot. I miss it still, and it was really nice to visit with an old friend. Moving from where I lived for almost 40 years has been tough. I love my condo life, but living alone after all those years is not easy.

bethk

bethk
Admin

I had cooked all day so supper was take out for me ~ pizza was a good choice.....

April, 2023 ~ No foolin' around.....get busy in the kitchen! - Page 3 04_18_31

bethk

bethk
Admin

I got up at 6:30 a.m. and had a cup of coffee ~ then I got started on my pineapple upside down cake to take to the potluck tonight.

I use crushed pineapple because it's so much easier to serve & eat ~ been doing that for years. And I always use Grandma's Griswald Cast Iron skillet to bake it in. This time, however, I made the 'goo' ~ 1 - 1/2 sticks of butter, 2-1/2 c. brown sugar & 1/4 c. Karo syrup (boiled) in a separate skillet.

I had a piece of parchment large enough to go up the sides of the cast iron skillet. I wadded the parchment into a ball and then smoothed it out. That way it molds to the inside of your dish without fighting you and pulling away from the sides.

When the 'goo' was boiling & the sugar somewhat dissolved I poured it into the parchment lined skillet. I arranged my cherries (careful not to come close to that molton goo with my fingers) and then sprinkled the (well drained) two large cans of crushed pineapple. Then I poured my cake batter over. I baked it in a 350° oven for close to 40 minutes.

When it was done baking I let it sit for 20 minutes before I turned it out onto my serving platter ~ always a challenge since it's heavy and still HOT!

But it worked! The toppings stayed on the top of the cake instead of half staying put in the pan so it has to be spooned off and then put back on the cake.

So now I have a 'new-to-me' way to make a favorite.

Turned the cake out of the skillet:

April, 2023 ~ No foolin' around.....get busy in the kitchen! - Page 3 04_19_18

The toppings stayed put!

April, 2023 ~ No foolin' around.....get busy in the kitchen! - Page 3 04_19_19

A little stuck from the sides of the cake:

April, 2023 ~ No foolin' around.....get busy in the kitchen! - Page 3 04_19_20

My cooling, (Crushed) Pineapple Upside Down Cake:

April, 2023 ~ No foolin' around.....get busy in the kitchen! - Page 3 04_19_21

NormM

NormM

A facebook friend posted the recipe for this lemon cake yesterday and I made it yesterday. It separates in to three sections as it cooks. Charlie said it was really good. Sometime I'd like to see if I can get similar results with chocolate instead of lemon. I want to try it with lime juice too.April, 2023 ~ No foolin' around.....get busy in the kitchen! - Page 3 Img_0818

bethk likes this post

http://r2j1cp@gmail.com

JanaAZ

I’ve been baking up a storm lately since I took the bet that I couldn’t turn on my oven for a week. I’ve made 2 loaves of bread, a turtle cheesecake, cottage cheese dill bread, and I’m getting ready to make bear claws
April, 2023 ~ No foolin' around.....get busy in the kitchen! - Page 3 Img_8212
April, 2023 ~ No foolin' around.....get busy in the kitchen! - Page 3 Img_8211
April, 2023 ~ No foolin' around.....get busy in the kitchen! - Page 3 Img_8210

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 3 of 6]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum