Cooking Friends
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Cooking Friends

Friends sharing recipes, cooking techniques & menu ideas in a friendly atmosphere.

You are not connected. Please login or register

April 2020 Is the world playing an April Fools' Joke on us all?

+5
UNCLE JIMMY
NormM
cookingirl
bethk
Cookin Lore
9 posters

Go to page : 1, 2, 3 ... 7 ... 14  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 14]

Cookin Lore

No one could have ever imagined what we're all going through............... A terrible April 1 joke gone terribly wrong?

But, as long as we have food and can still cook for us and friends and family, we'll get through it.

Gonna make some fish for myself tonight.

bethk

bethk
Admin

Sheltering in place isn't a terrible thing ~ we're still allowed to go to the grocery store to supplement our pantries.  I use to go daily, just as entertainment.  Now I make a list and go once a week.  I've had to make some substitutions on meat (got pork steak instead of baby back ribs) but I've found everything I need.

I've got some Johnsonville brats for tonight.  They'll get simmered in a bottle of cheap beer and then browned on the grill ~ probably the gas grill because there are only 5 of them and it's so much easier to just turn on and be done with it.  I think I'll make a small dish of potato salad to go with them, possibly some coleslaw, too.

Dane didn't want any coleslaw so it was brats & potato salad.

April 2020 Is the world playing an April Fools' Joke on us all? 04_01_12

cookingirl

cookingirl

Cooking Lore, I know I am very late, but I have been meaning to send you my condolences about your Aunt.. It is indeed a horrible time for this.. Cannot even say the final goodbyes.. ((hugs)))

Cookin Lore

I went to Costco today to pick up a prescription.  Now that was quite the ordeal.  Huge lineup to get in, but thankfully if you only go to the pharmacy they let you right in.  I thought I'd be able to pick up a rotisserie chicken, but nope, if you're at the pharmacy you can't go "shopping".  So, I went to a different store, still a lineup but not too bad, and I just bought a regular chicken and put it in the oven.  It's been a long time since I actually made a whole chicken in my oven.. I threw in some little potatoes a few minutes ago, and still have some coleslaw from the other day.  Chicken smells great!

Thanks for the condolences, funeral is tomorrow. We are limited to 10 people at the cemetery, there will be no other gathering. Perhaps a memorial once all this has settled down.

Bugster2

Bugster2

I did a marathon shopping yesterday and I hope I didn't pick up and cooties. I was finally able to find some yeast.

My sister's friend is a doctor. 3 people in the office got sick and his partner is on a ventilator. They had to shut down the entire practice for the time being. I cancelled my appointment with my ortho. I am not going into a building full of people that might have the germ and I won't get into an elevator with all that possibly contaminated air. I rescheduled for July. We'll see how things are then.

Tonight was bbq chicken, potato salad and a can of Bush's baked beans.

NormM

NormM

My sister has two grown kids. Her daughter and her son's wife both work at hospitals and son's wife has a co worker with the virus so both of those families have made themselves off limits. The procedure I had to break the kidney stone into dust actually broke it into 5 or 6 smaller pieces. They told me that from an X ray but I already knew it was still there, just smaller so it can get in places where it hurts more. I have to go back on Tues. Because of the virus, though they are not going around to hospitals with the mobile unit. I have to go to where it is and it is farther away.

http://r2j1cp@gmail.com

bethk

bethk
Admin

Prayers for you, Norm, that this time the procedure gets the deed done and you're finally free of the pain.

Bill, Lyn's husband, had to go to the ER on Saturday night with chest pain and elevated BP. She had to just 'drop him off' and not stay in the place with him. They waited until a room was available at the hospital and then transported him and he had a stent put in on Tuesday. She picked him up to come home yesterday.

He said he didn't notice any patients in the hallways and everyone had PP gear. Any cases of the virus they are treating are really isolated away from everything and everyone.

I'm sure all precautions are going to be taken so you'll be safe from any cross contamination. I think the fact that they're limiting visitors (especially the 'stupid' ones who think they're entitled to go wherever they choose) is helping to contain and slow the progression of the virus.

bethk

bethk
Admin

I saw on Facebook where Judy (JanaAZ) made some Asian ribs the other day.  

Well, Asian Ribs have been on my mind ever since.  So, I have my own version going on the stove for tonight.  I'm cooking the 'cut-into-one' ribs in the sauce I made up on the stove top.  When they are tender enough for me I'll turn them off.  I'll probably just stick them under the broiler to 'sticky' them up and I'll let the sauce simmer to thicken & be able to brush/pour some over.

I think I'll just lay them on a layer of sticky rice in a casserole to serve ~ and add a sprinkle of sesame seeds at the very end.

April 2020 Is the world playing an April Fools' Joke on us all? 04_02_11

Last edited by bethk on Thu Apr 02, 2020 1:41 pm; edited 1 time in total

bethk

bethk
Admin

Debbie, I know you mentioned this earlier but thought I'd just say how sorry I am you have to go through 'withdrawal'.......

"See's Candies announced that the business will be halting all candy production, suspending online ordering, and temporarily closing its shops in response to the global COVID-19 pandemic.

The company made the announcement Friday, saying in a statement to customers that it was pausing work on all fulfillment, shipping, and call center departments out of concern for its employees and their health.

See's Candies has been open since 1921 and in its statement noted that this was only the second time in its 99-year history that it has had to halt production. The first time was during World War II due to rationing.

"Please know that we did not make this decision lightly. In addition to making the best candy you can find, we seek to have the best customer service. So, we sincerely appreciate your patience and understanding, as our contact center is temporarily closed. We will work to keep you updated as we develop plans to safely resume operations," the statement read.

Because the company is pausing shipping of its products, See's will be issuing customer refunds on existing orders within 7-14 days.

In the interim, See's has asked fans to share some of their fondest memories associated with the company and its products. You can share yours by sending an email to stories@sees.com. Stories have already started to flood in on See's Candies' social media pages, along with support for the brand during this trying time."

NormM

NormM

Thanks Beth. The Smoking Goose order arrived and I have tasted the Stagberry Salame and the Hillbelly (that is the way it is spelled) The salame is good but I doubt I'll order it again when the price goes back up. The Hillbelly sausage is very good. It isn't seasoned like you'd expect. I can taste some cinnamon in it. It is the kind of good you like right away but you could get tired of it if you have it too often. There are lots of more things to sample and I am looking forward to it.

http://r2j1cp@gmail.com

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Jeepers.... Forgot about April being here already.
No 04/01 jokes, but I'm sure no one is in the mood for it.

Tina is on the soup kick....again! A slightly different, and smart thing to do.
The beef was way too salty we had last night, so she repurposed the beef, and washed it off, and made the beef barley soup with it.
Wow!.... what a great way to repair a boo boo salty dish!

bethk

bethk
Admin

Sounds like a good plan, Jimmy. I think barley would absorb the excess salt, like potatoes do. And I don't think you notice it nearly so much when it's absorbed in a grain.

Good thinkin'!

Crybaby

Crybaby

Cookin Lore wrote:97 year old aunt who died last week is being laid to rest on Thursday.  Limit number of people allowed to the gravesite is 10, nothing afterward.  Her death was because she feel running to try to answer her phone, fractured three ribs and got pneumonia.  She was on life support for three days, and then her sons had it disconnected.  

So sorry about your aunt, Lore, as it's a shame she fell. But then again she lived to 97 which is amazing! I was pretty amazed that she could still run at her age!! I'm so sorry her sons had to disconnect her from life support, as I can only imagine how difficult that is.

Down here from reading the death notices (something I've done since childhood), people are going ahead with private burials but most say they're going to have a memorial service once things are back to normal.

Crybaby

Crybaby

NormM wrote:Thanks Beth.  The Smoking Goose order arrived and I have tasted the Stagberry Salame and the Hillbelly (that is the way it is spelled)  The salame is good but I doubt I'll order it again when the price goes back up.  The Hillbelly sausage is very good.  It isn't seasoned like you'd expect.  I can taste some cinnamon in it. It is the kind of good you like right away but you could get tired of it if you have it too often.  There are lots of more things to sample and I am looking forward to it.

Glad you liked the Hillbelly, as I ordered a couple pounds of that bulk sausage. You were right about the cinnamon, Norm, as here's what the description of it said: "fresh pork & bacon sausage: bacon, maple syrup, cinnamon, nutmeg, clove, ginger.

Yes, Norm, that Stagberry Salame sounded like it might be an acquired taste.

Glad you're looking forward to trying the rest of it! Hope you find more you like in the shipment...

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

bethk wrote:Sounds like a good plan, Jimmy.  I think barley would absorb the excess salt, like potatoes do.  And I don't think you notice it nearly so much when it's absorbed in a grain.

Good thinkin'!

T did a good job with the soup.
She did also put a little barley in the soup. The only thing for me, is that I like my soup juicy and not thick, unless it's a pea or creamed soup.

I had the soup for lunch already.... I'm done with soup for today!

Crybaby

Crybaby

UNCLE JIMMY wrote:Jeepers.... Forgot about April being here already.
No 04/01 jokes, but I'm sure no one is in the mood for it.

We forgot about it, too, Jimmy, or we'd have tried to "get" another for sure, as we always do!

The funniest April Fool's joke I saw was a clip on TV. A man home with his children (they looked to be about 10, 9 and 6) told them the Quarantine was over and school was starting again. They all got dressed and went out in the front where I guess the bus picks them up. They waited and waited and then figured out their father had gotten them good. It was really funny.

I like the Jimmy Kimmel joke people play on their kids at Halloween, where they tell them the next morning that the parents ate all their Halloween candy the night before. The reactions are hilarious, with most of them crying, screaming and/or hollering and storming off!

Crybaby

Crybaby

bethk wrote:Sounds like a good plan, Jimmy.  I think barley would absorb the excess salt, like potatoes do.  And I don't think you notice it nearly so much when it's absorbed in a grain.

I read somewhere the other day that potatoes really don't absorb excess salt. Did you ever do that and had it work, Beth? Just curious. I'm usually light on the salt when cooking so I can't ever remember over-salting something.

Crybaby

Crybaby

Uncle Jimmy wrote:I had the soup for lunch already.... I'm done with soup for today!

I had to laugh, as you sound like Brian! To me, soup is a main dish and I think it tastes better the second day, no matter what type of soup it is. He'll usually eat soup once and then he wants something else. We're talking soup here and not gumbo just so you know!

Crybaby

Crybaby

I was under the weather Tuesday and yesterday, nauseated and the results of that until I could take one of my pills for nausea. I had to laugh because I never realized I'd be glad to be not feeling well and experiencing nausea but I was tickled pink it's not a cornonavirus symptom!!

Crybaby

Crybaby

Norm, I hope all goes well next Tuesday with your kidney stones. Glad you don't have to go INTO the hospital to have it taken care of. I'll say a prayer that all goes well and is as painless as possible! What a Face

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Crybaby wrote:

I read somewhere the other day that potatoes really don't absorb excess salt. Did you ever do that and had it work, Beth? Just curious. I'm usually light on the salt when cooking so I can't ever remember over-salting something.

I have to laugh..... Tina will add a potato to a too salty dish / etc. ----and then, she will eat the potato. Huh! .... what's the purpose?
Razz

Crybaby

Crybaby

Cookin Lore wrote:...So, I went to a different store, still a lineup but not too bad, and I just bought a regular chicken and put it in the oven. It's been a long time since I actually made a whole chicken in my oven.. I threw in some little potatoes a few minutes ago, and still have some coleslaw from the other day. Chicken smells great!

Chicken always smells divine when it's roasting in the oven. I haven't been hungry in days and my mouth watered just thinking about roasting chicken!

I felt well enough this morning to make Brian some blueberry pancakes this morning, as I got a big box of blueberries when Walmart delivered on Monday. The berries were HUGE, the biggest blueberries I'd ever seen. Luckily, they were sweet and delicious. I always make extra pancakes, and then put them in a ziplock bag in the fridge. Brian always makes sure they don't get forgotten!

It's funny as Brian is so used to me going downstairs every morning and bringing him coffee and some little munchie for him to eat. He's back on cancer pills and they're rough on his stomach so he has to take them with food. He got really nervous Tuesday morning when I was still in bed at 9 a.m. Yesterday I was able to get us both a cup of coffee which we both managed to enjoy but I still didn't feel good so I went back to bed.

Glad I felt good enough to make breakfast for Brian this morning. I feel SOOOO guilty if he has to get something himself as it's difficult on that walker, I'm sure. But he made himself some breakfast sausage the first day and told me to stop worrying about him! queen

Crybaby

Crybaby

Uncle Jimmy wrote:I have to laugh..... Tina will add a potato to a too salty dish / etc. ----and then, she will eat the potato. Huh! .... what's the purpose? Razz

She's removing the salt for the REST OF YOU!!! IL would probably do the same thing, as I love potatoes!

bethk

bethk
Admin

I've added big potato chunks to stock that I inadvertently over salted (salted too much too early ~ HUGE mistake) and, yes the potato chunks did help absorb some of that salty taste.

And, like Ms. T, I, too, ATE THE POTATOES !!! But that's because I like really salty stuff. Even mushy potatoes with too much salt (as long as I added a bunch of salted butter to them when I mushed them up.....I know ~ I'm pathetic! LOL).

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

bethk wrote:I've added big potato chunks to stock that I inadvertently over salted (salted too much too early ~ HUGE mistake) and, yes the potato chunks did help absorb some of that salty taste.

And, like Ms. T, I, too, ATE THE POTATOES !!!  But that's because I like really salty stuff.  Even mushy potatoes with too much salt (as long as I added a bunch of salted butter to them when I mushed them up.....I know ~ I'm pathetic!  LOL).

Tina says,"Ok, I ate something sweet, now I need something salty!"

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 14]

Go to page : 1, 2, 3 ... 7 ... 14  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum