Cooking Friends
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Cooking Friends

Friends sharing recipes, cooking techniques & menu ideas in a friendly atmosphere.

You are not connected. Please login or register

May, 2023 ~ Flowers in the yard, Flour in the kitchen!

+2
Cookin Lore
bethk
6 posters

Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 7]

bethk

bethk
Admin

I think tonight is going to be Spaghetti Squash & Marinara.....The squash is already baked so it's just a matter of warming everything up.

Easy Peasey!

Cookin Lore

Speaking or thinking of squash or squashes, I am late to the party of loving squash.  I basically thought that they all taste the same.  I had, acorn, butternut and zuccini in the last 20 years.  Then I found Delicata squash about three years ago and loved that.  Generally, they are inexpensive here, but the last Butternut that I bought was $7.65 Yikes!  Groceries have become so expensive here, I don't know how young families can pay the prices.

The last visitors I had from Germany said that squashes as we eat them here are not available there.  When I had them for dinner here (For Lake Erie pickeral and perch) I baked some butternut and Heidi said she will try to find some in a specialty store as they loved it.

PS. Think I'll send her some seeds, as they do have a vegetable garden.

bethk likes this post

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

I'm thinking something we haven't had in a while, but it needs to be quick and easy!
I come up with fried cabbage and bows macaroni.... or .... Franks and beans. ....or .....
maybe a sub / hero / hoagie of sorts?

bethk likes this post

bethk

bethk
Admin

Change of plans ~ HE asked for the Mediterranean Chicken Salad with the cucumbers, etc.

He wants to give his gut a rest and he knows that meal doesn't bother him.

The spaghetti squash will be fine until tomorrow.

May, 2023 ~ Flowers in the yard, Flour in the kitchen! 05_01_20

Last edited by bethk on Tue May 02, 2023 6:32 pm; edited 1 time in total

bethk

bethk
Admin

I do not like when my email doesn't accept pictures from me to me ~ I send pictures of my meals to the same account every day and sometimes, like today, NOTHING gets transferred.

But maybe it'll show up at a later date.

When it does I'll include a pic of the same salad you've seen 5 or more times.......

Mediterranean Chicken Salad

NormM

NormM

I used the smoker today. Not only did I do pork ribs in the smoker but also added some BBQ beans, corn and a potato.  The potato needed more cook time in the microwave.  The beans were better with natural smoke instead of liquid smoke.May, 2023 ~ Flowers in the yard, Flour in the kitchen! Img_0822May, 2023 ~ Flowers in the yard, Flour in the kitchen! Img_0824

bethk, UNCLE JIMMY, Imelda HL and JanaAZ like this post

http://r2j1cp@gmail.com

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Well,..... Hot dogs and beans went out the picture, and so we had cod fish, and flounder.
Tina picked up a bag of the frozen stir fry vegetable's and rice. It was good.

bethk likes this post

JanaAZ

My long time friends are visiting us this week and she is sooooo fussy. During the holidays I bought a prime rib so I decided to make that. Along with loaded baked potatoes, crescent rolls and green beans. I forgot to take photos. However we’re going to have dessert. Again, miss fussy doesn’t like many things but she loves Oreos, caramel and chocolate so I made an Oreo crust cheesecake with toasted buttered pecans, caramel and chocolate. Just waiting for some room before we dig into dessert. I do have a photo of thr cheesecake

May, 2023 ~ Flowers in the yard, Flour in the kitchen! Img_8213

bethk and UNCLE JIMMY like this post

bethk

bethk
Admin

NormM wrote:I used the smoker today. Not only did I do pork ribs in the smoker but also added some BBQ beans, corn and a potato.  The potato needed more cook time in the microwave.  The beans were better with natural smoke instead of liquid smoke.May, 2023 ~ Flowers in the yard, Flour in the kitchen! Img_0822May, 2023 ~ Flowers in the yard, Flour in the kitchen! Img_0824

The RIBS look like you added bones to a pork LOIN!!!  How long did that rack stay on the smoker?  ((  Asking for a friend.....  ))

OMG ~ Looks delicious, which I'm sure it all was.

Last edited by bethk on Tue May 02, 2023 8:22 am; edited 1 time in total

UNCLE JIMMY likes this post

bethk

bethk
Admin

JanaAZ wrote:My long time friends are visiting us this week and she is sooooo fussy. During the holidays I bought a prime rib so I decided to make that. Along with loaded baked potatoes, crescent rolls and green beans. I forgot to take photos.  However we’re going to have dessert. Again, miss fussy doesn’t like many things but she loves Oreos, caramel and chocolate so I made an Oreo crust cheesecake with toasted buttered pecans, caramel and chocolate. Just waiting for some room before we dig into dessert. I do have a photo of thr cheesecake

May, 2023 ~ Flowers in the yard, Flour in the kitchen! Img_8213

That's a restaurant quality meal for dear friends!  It's always nice to do nice things for nice people!  (( and I understand completely about 'forgetting' to take pictures when you have others you're caring for at the table.....the thought just gets lost because you're busy ))

UNCLE JIMMY and JanaAZ like this post

bethk

bethk
Admin

Tonight is going to be the spaghetti squash with marinara ~ I think my containers of marinara are in the neighbors' garage refrigerator ~ ~ I didn't want to bother them and rummage through my stuff looking for a deli container of sauce.

So, I made more! (I know ~ makes no sense at all but, hey, stuff happens....)

I had a jar of the Trader Joe's Organic Marinara in the pantry. I do like that to use as a 'starting point'. I picked up a small package (less than a pound) of lean ground beef that was on sale and started that in a Dutch oven. Meanwhile, I grated a small onion, a carrot and 6 mushrooms that were left in a package and really needed to be used. I find that grating my vegetables makes them small enough to simply 'melt' into the sauce as it simmers. And it's quick and easy.

The only seasoning I used was a bit of salt and about a teaspoon of sugar (to just offset the acidity of the tomato sauce). I thinned it all out with some Spicy V-8 Vegetable Juice. I usually have it in the pantry to cook with or to use for Bloody Mary's (WHAT??? ME drinking Vegetable Juice with vodka???? YES! Hahahahahaha).

I just let the sauce simmer for a couple hours and it's delicious. I think it'll be perfect on the squash. Of course, I now have the original quart size jar AND another pint jar filled with sauce and cooling down so I can stick it into the refrigerator and then, eventually into the freezer for another day.

NormM

NormM

bethk wrote:
NormM wrote:I used the smoker today. Not only did I do pork ribs in the smoker but also added some BBQ beans, corn and a potato.  The potato needed more cook time in the microwave.  The beans were better with natural smoke instead of liquid smoke.May, 2023 ~ Flowers in the yard, Flour in the kitchen! Img_0822May, 2023 ~ Flowers in the yard, Flour in the kitchen! Img_0824

The RIBS look like you added bones to a pork LOIN!!!  How long did that rack stay on the smoker?  ((  Asking for a friend.....  ))

OMG ~ Looks delicious, which I'm sure it all was.

The ribs smoked for about 3 hours, no more, maybe a little less. The first ribs I did this year were on for 4 hours and they were falling off the bone tender which I consider over cooked so I shortened the time this time. I think they could go a little longer and be ok. I noticed these ribs and the last ones too were very much more meaty than last year. They are still sold as baby backs though.

bethk

bethk
Admin

Tonight's spaghetti squash was excellent! I think roasting it one day and then reheating it the second day is a key to not having watery squash. Don't know why, just seems to work that way.

The best part of the meal, to me, was the toasted olive bread (from Fresh Market). I was really happy I knew where it was hiding in the freezer. Man, that bread is SO GOOD!

(( I know ~ I should just make my own.....but it's so much more convenient to just pick up a loaf when I'm at the Market! LOL ))

May, 2023 ~ Flowers in the yard, Flour in the kitchen! 05_02_15

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Tina went to the beauty parlor to get her hair done. ( Again ).. hahahahaha
On way back home, she stopped at Tranquility farms, to get egg plant, but they had none.
She did get one nice one at Donaldsons farm by us, and she picked up a quart of their honey.
She made meatballs with diced eggplant mixed in with the regular meatball mix she makes.
It was great, but I didn't eat more than two small ones, because I had 1/4 of an Italian sub for lunch.
For breakfast, I made 4 mini Whole wheat pancakes. They were ok, but not as tasty as the Krusteaz
buttermilk ones we usually make.

bethk likes this post

Cookin Lore

Chicken breast and a huge sweet potato last night. Busy yesterday with condo stuff, so no time for more veggies or a salad. No pictures. We're having a Cinco de Mayo party on Friday in our party room. Ticket sales have not been as brisk as generally, so Mexican is probably not the favourite. We're having all the fixing for making our own tacos delivered.

bethk likes this post

bethk

bethk
Admin

The new refrigerator arrived in a timely fashion this morning. I have to say, the text message information sent out since last evening was accurate and helpful. Last evening they sent a text that our delivery would arrive between 8:30 a.m. to 12:30 p.m. Then, this morning, at 7:30 a.m. I got a text that they were beginning loading and we were number 5. About 9:15 came another text, "You're 2 stops away!" And, about 10:00 we got a text they were on the way to us.

The two young men came in and used a 'body strap' to remove our old refrigerator, double checking the width of the opening with the width of the new refrigerator (and, yes, I had ordered the correct size ~ 33" because our available space is only 35" and a 35.75" refrigerator won't fit).

Then they walked our new refrigerator into the kitchen, removed the protective plastic and reminded us to allow the refrigerator to cool down for 24 hours before filling it with stuff.

Dane took care of hooking up the water line because he installed a copper water line a few years ago because the plastic lines kept cracking from the heat in the garage (behind our kitchen wall and where the water lines are). That took him about 2 minutes and it was purring away.

We did cover the top of the refrigerator with plastic wrap ~ when it gets covered in dust all I have to do is pull off the plastic, lightly wipe it down and re-cover. No more sticky, dusty appliance tops for me!

UNCLE JIMMY and Imelda HL like this post

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

bethk wrote:The new refrigerator arrived in a timely fashion this morning.  I have to say, the text message information sent out since last evening was accurate and helpful.  Last evening they sent a text that our delivery would arrive between 8:30 a.m. to 12:30 p.m.  Then, this morning, at 7:30 a.m. I got a text that they were beginning loading and we were number 5.  About 9:15 came another text, "You're 2 stops away!"  And, about 10:00 we got a text they were on the way to us.

The two young men came in and used a 'body strap' to remove our old refrigerator, double checking the width of the opening with the width of the new refrigerator (and, yes, I had ordered the correct size ~ 33" because our available space is only 35" and a 35.75" refrigerator won't fit).  

Then they walked our new refrigerator into the kitchen, removed the protective plastic and reminded us to allow the refrigerator to cool down for 24 hours before filling it with stuff.

Dane took care of hooking up the water line because he installed a copper water line a few years ago because the plastic lines kept cracking from the heat in the garage (behind our kitchen wall and where the water lines are).  That took him about 2 minutes and it was purring away.

We did cover the top of the refrigerator with plastic wrap ~ when it gets covered in dust all I have to do is pull off the plastic, lightly wipe it down and re-cover.  No more sticky, dusty appliance tops for me!

Lots of luck with the new fridge Beth..... Boy! It surely is nice to have a great delivery experience. Usually , it is hurry up, and plan, and then wait and wait. We just had those leaf filter gutter guards installed on our rain gutter's and from one phone call they sent a rep in like 2 hours, and he gave us a price, and said we can expect the work to be done tomorrow
starting 12 noon and completed that same day at 3 hours or less.
It was great; because at 2 hours they were done and all cleaned up. and gone home for the day. And the good part, was Jimmy and Tina still had time to take our nappy nappy's .... hahahahahahaha Sleep

BTW What brand reefer did you finally get ? Keep us posted on how you like it...

bethk likes this post

Cookin Lore

Congratulations! It's always exciting (for me anyway) to set up a new appliance! Have fun.

bethk

bethk
Admin

It was leftover stir fry ~ I sauteed the rest of the bok choy and it added that 'NEW' taste ~ Fresh rice and we were good to go.

May, 2023 ~ Flowers in the yard, Flour in the kitchen! 05_03_20

JanaAZ

Yesterday they wanted Chicago deep dish pizza. Why, I don’t know. They live in Chicago. But I made it anyway May, 2023 ~ Flowers in the yard, Flour in the kitchen! Img_8312

bethk, NormM and UNCLE JIMMY like this post

bethk

bethk
Admin

I finally got the last of everything from my neighbor's garage refrigerator/freezer put back into our new refrigerator. Man, I've got enough condiments to outfit 3 fast food outlets! I did toss a few things that didn't look like it took the cool / warm / cool too well. I'm not one to take chances with anything that might not be good ~ I probably don't need it anyway.

So, trying to find an idea for supper ~ first thing came to mind was burgers on the grill. And that led to me turning my 6 oz. burger patty into two thinner patties ~ one for tonight and one for a lunch for HIM later in the week. I wanted a Frisch's Big Boy Burger ~ thin burger patty with Frisch's Original Tartar Sauce on both sides of the bun, lettuce, onion & dill pickle.

OMG ~ I was SO happy with the taste! It was like being home again.

DD#2 brought me a jar of the Frisch's Original Sauce (sold in grocery stores in Ohio) so having it on hand is just such a familiar taste. It's great on sandwiches, a dip for french fries....in deviled eggs. You name it, we put it in it!

HE had his usual medium rare cheese burger with most of the sliced onion I had in the dish.....and then says, "oh, did YOU want some onion, too?"

But I had enough so I didn't have to grab more from the top of his burger (it probably would have had melted cheese on it anyway by the time I got to it.....LOL).

The grilled asparagus was excellent as well.

May, 2023 ~ Flowers in the yard, Flour in the kitchen! 05_04_25

NormM

NormM

With Bed Bath and Beyond going out of business and everything on sale, I got an
Air Fryer and made some fried chicken. Charlie liked it but said it needed more garlic and asked for it again today with mac & Cheese but not the kind in the box so i air fryed some thighs with more garlic lpowder and some homemade mac n cheeseMay, 2023 ~ Flowers in the yard, Flour in the kitchen! Img_0825

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

I  made pasta primavera. Ziti, broccoli, mushrooms, zucchini and fresh tomato all cheesed with parmesan and olive oil.
I ate it by myself. Tina is MIA... Sick with a sore throat and a cough. No fever, and she refuses to drink water or juice. Tea is her culprit. It is a natural diuretic. No time to argue with her.

bethk likes this post

bethk

bethk
Admin

Dane had gut issues for 3 months.

I've been hungry for Buffalo Wings for 3 1/2 months......

TaDa! Tonight was the night! Buffalo Wings (aka: Norm's suggested Alton Brown method of steaming & then baking wings) and Crispy Crown Potatoes.

Now I'm happy.

May, 2023 ~ Flowers in the yard, Flour in the kitchen! 05_05_12

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

First...... it was DD .... then Tina, and .....NOW ME! Sick with sore throat; stuffy and drippy nose, and feel like dog doo!
I made chix soup last night, and that felt good in my tummy. So right now, I'm cooking a fresh Kielbasa. Whomever wants that.... they can have it. At least I can still smell and taste.
It will be TYLENOL for dessert!

bethk likes this post

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 7]

Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum