Cooking Friends
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Cooking Friends

Friends sharing recipes, cooking techniques & menu ideas in a friendly atmosphere.

You are not connected. Please login or register

April, 2023 ~ No foolin' around.....get busy in the kitchen!

+2
UNCLE JIMMY
bethk
6 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Go down  Message [Page 5 of 6]

JanaAZ

Chicken Marsala over polenta. One of my all time favorites April, 2023 ~ No foolin' around.....get busy in the kitchen! - Page 5 Img_8311

bethk and UNCLE JIMMY like this post

bethk

bethk
Admin

It was pretty warm today ~ 83° when I came out of the grocery store in the early afternoon. But we've had rain forecast for every day ~ the start of our 'summer' daily rains ~ so we plan to watch when it's going to get to us and we just plan to be home and in the house....NOT driving around in the golf cart.

Well, the rains have started. We're both home and dry in the house. It was quite a surprise to see pea - walnut size HAIL start bouncing on the concrete. We don't get a lot of hail, to be sure. But this is keeping up for quite a while. I told Dane he might have to shovel us out the front door! LOL

Supper will be the Mediterranean Chicken Salad ~ made using some meat shredded off a rotisserie chicken. It just seems like a salad kind of day.

UNCLE JIMMY likes this post

bethk

bethk
Admin

I told HIM the salad was to give his gut a chance to settle in case it was thinking of planning a revolt due to the resuming of 'regular' meals.

What I REALLY wanted was Buffalo Chicken Wings ~ but, alas, that meal will have to wait until we're sure HE is completely free of any problems. It's been a long 3 months of playing around with what he can and cannot tolerate. But I'm sure we'll be back to whatever we want really soon.

In the mean time, this salad is a keeper! It's tasty and filling and is 'just right' for a rainy evening.

April, 2023 ~ No foolin' around.....get busy in the kitchen! - Page 5 04_25_17

bethk

bethk
Admin

From Lore:

"Dinner Tonight. Piece of sirloin strip, crinkle cut potatoes and butternut squash. Yumm! Everything done at 375 in my oven. I love my oven.!"

April, 2023 ~ No foolin' around.....get busy in the kitchen! - Page 5 04_25_18

bethk, NormM and UNCLE JIMMY like this post

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

It was two large pork steaks slathered with liquid BBQ sauce. Then ketchup, mustard
and honey just 1 hr. before it was done...I usually would use Mad Hunky all purpose dry rub on pork ribs, but not this time, seeing that it was pork steak. Usually with pork steak, it is salt and pepper only,
( like Beth's preference ).
We had macaroni salad as a side. I had two crown royal drinks with ginger ale to wash the meal down.

bethk likes this post

Cookin Lore

JanaAZ wrote:Chicken Marsala over polenta. One of my all time favorites April, 2023 ~ No foolin' around.....get busy in the kitchen! - Page 5 Img_8311

I grew up with polenta. Never liked it, but then, there's a lot of stuff I didn't like. I think I have to give it another try. Soon! That looks delish.

bethk

bethk
Admin

I wasn't sure what to fix for supper ~ but since I bought some lovely bok choy I finally decided on a stir fry ~ used beef. It was really pretty tasty ~ and (unfortunately ~ or not) there are leftovers for another night. We'll see....

April, 2023 ~ No foolin' around.....get busy in the kitchen! - Page 5 04_26_14

NormM

NormM

I made another one of those cakes that divide into layes as they bake. This time it was chocolate.April, 2023 ~ No foolin' around.....get busy in the kitchen! - Page 5 Img_0821

http://r2j1cp@gmail.com

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Tina was doing shopping in PA this morning, and picked up a rotisserie chicken.
N O T for me. The kids were here to eat, and I told them to knock themselves out eating it. It was too moist, and not a bit crispy. Just one look at the wet wings, and juice squirting as I cut it, ..... made me G A G.
Tina brought a salad she didn't eat at a diner; so, I ate that, along with two Krispy Kreme
doughnuts.

bethk likes this post

bethk

bethk
Admin

When Judy was making Angel Food Cake for Steve it got me hungry for my grandma's Lemon Sunshine Cake.

But I didn't make it. It's not been off my mind since ~ So, when I invited a couple English friends over for supper tomorrow it turned into the perfect time to bake one.

Company is a great excuse for baking a dessert! It's a lemon chiffon cake ~ uses the whole eggs instead of just the whites that go into an angel food cake. Grandma made it a few times every spring.

I'm not going to make the lemon cream that usually goes with it but will suffice with some homemade whipped cream & berries to garnish it.

I love it just plain ~ standing in the dark kitchen, by the sink with a piece in hand......

LOL

Here it is ready to pop into the oven:

April, 2023 ~ No foolin' around.....get busy in the kitchen! - Page 5 04_27_13

bethk

bethk
Admin

I asked HIM for an idea for supper.....and got the usual answer, "Food"......

((   sigh    ))

So, then HE suggested 'something light' ~ so at least I had a starting point.

I ended up deciding upon a salad with some of the rotisserie chicken as the protein.  I steamed a few eggs and tossed everything together.  It was just enough to keep us both happy.

April, 2023 ~ No foolin' around.....get busy in the kitchen! - Page 5 04_27_14

Lemon Sunshine Cake was cooled enough to be removed from the baking pan.

April, 2023 ~ No foolin' around.....get busy in the kitchen! - Page 5 04_27_15

Imelda HL likes this post

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

bethk wrote:I asked HIM for an idea for supper.....and got the usual answer, "Food"......

((   sigh    ))

So, then HE suggested 'something light' ~ so at least I had a starting point.

I ended up deciding upon a salad with some of the rotisserie chicken as the protein.  I steamed a few eggs and tossed everything together.  It was just enough to keep us both happy.

April, 2023 ~ No foolin' around.....get busy in the kitchen! - Page 5 04_27_14

Beth..... Tina and I both love lemon anything. Would you be willing to
share the recipe?? It surely looks great. BTW, Did you ever make a pineapple Angel Food Cake? It's A Box Angel food cake, and it beats using the 10 eggs. It's a weight watchers recipe.
T said make it like the box recipe only do not use the water. Just add to the dry ingredients, a can of crushed pineapple, and bake it per the cake directions on the box directions. We have a box of Betty Crocker to use.

bethk

bethk
Admin

UNCLE JIMMY wrote:
bethk wrote:

Beth..... Tina and I both love lemon anything. Would you be willing to
share the recipe?? It surely looks great. BTW, Did you ever make a pineapple Angel Food Cake? It's A Box Angel food cake, and it beats using the 10 eggs. It's a weight watchers recipe.
T said make it like the box recipe only do not use the water. Just add to the dry ingredients, a can of crushed pineapple, and bake it per the cake directions on the box directions. We have a box of Betty Crocker to use.

Jimmy ~ I've not used the angel food cake with pineapple, although I've seen it before. I'm not a fan of the angel food cake mixes ~ they usually add almond flavoring which is my least favorite.

But here's the recipe for Grandma's Lemon Sunshine Cake as posted in the 'Sweets & Convections' section in 2016:

This is my Grandma's lemon chiffon cake ~ my all time favorite:

Lemon Sunshine Cake

8 Lg. Eggs – separated
1 ½ c. Granulated Sugar – divided
1 ¼ c. Cake Flour – sifted
2 T. Cold Water
½ t. Lemon Extract
½ t. Cream of Tartar
½ t. Salt

Beat egg whites until frothy. Add ½ t. Cream of Tartar, ½ t. salt. Slowly add 1 c. sugar, beating until stiff glossy peaks form. Set aside.

Beat together egg yolks, ½ c. sugar, 2 T. cold water and ½ t. Lemon extract until very thick. Stir in flour.

Fold egg white mixture gently into yolk mixture. Pour into ungreased 10” tube pan. Bake @ 325 for 1 hour or until done. Remove from oven and invert to cool.

UNCLE JIMMY and Imelda HL like this post

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Thanks for the recipe Beth.

bethk likes this post

bethk

bethk
Admin

Company coming for supper.....friends from UK who rented near us 3 years ago.

And, of course, in the midst of getting things prepared for a 'company dinner'.....

THE REFRIGERATOR DIED !!!

Thank goodness for the garage refrigerator/freezer.....Plus, a neighbor who kindly offered her empty garage refrigerator.

Tomorrow he'll see if he can figure out why it's not working ~ he thought it might be because of the dirt/dust buildup in the back but it's as cleaned out as he could do with the vacuum and it's still not cold.

(( sigh ))

I hate thinking we might have to buy another refrigerator ~ I really like the one I have. I just don't like that it's not cooling.

NormM

NormM

I have an LG refrigerator. It's about 7 or 8 years old and if I when I have to replace it, i won't get another LG. The Ice maker always clogs up and you have to open it up and bang on it to break the cubes apart so it will dispense and most of the shelves in the door are falling apart. They aren't designed to hold the weight of what I think should go in the door shelves.

bethk

bethk
Admin

I managed to get everything cooked on the grill and it was delicious ~ grouper, shrimp, asparagus & baked potatoes on the grill. I had made a sort of slaw with angel hair cabbage & carrots with a dressing of lemon juice, rice vinegar, honey & oil ~ very light. For dessert was the lemon sunshine cake with homemade whipped cream & raspberries.

Did I take pictures?

Never even crossed my radar ~ oh, well, win some, lose some.

No one complained so I imagine my thoughts that it was fine is right on......

NormM

NormM

With Bed Bath and Beyond going out of business and everything on sale, I decided it was as good a time as any to get an air fryer. Although you can't use oil in it , it says things that are fried might come out better if you give them a light coat of sprayed on oil. I discovered a can of duck spray at the store and tried it on chicken thighs today. i didn't tell Charlie that one of the two he had was with duck spray and the other wasn't. i had one of each too and we both thought the duck sprayed one was much tastier.

bethk, UNCLE JIMMY and Imelda HL like this post

Cookin Lore

NormM wrote:I have an LG refrigerator. It's about 7 or 8 years old and if I when I have to replace it, i won't get another LG.  The Ice maker always clogs up and you have to open it up and bang on it to break the cubes apart so it will dispense and most of the shelves in the door are falling apart.  They aren't designed to hold the weight of what I think should go in the door shelves.

So sad and annoying that our "modern" appliances are basically ready for the dump in ten or so years. I don't know if the brand "Woods" fridges and freezers were available in the US some years ago. We bought a chest type freezer made by them when my youngest son was basically learning to walk. He will be 55 in June, and that freezer was taken apart piece by piece to get it out of my sister's house two years ago. It was still working, but making a lot of noise and my nephew (who bought the house) figured he didn't need it, and it was using a lot of electricity. We also bought a WOODS fridge (no freezer) in 1985. When I moved from the farm 9 years ago, I gave it to my sons' friend, and it's still going strong. They have a large family, and this "all fridge" unit is really getting a workout.

Woods, the company, was manufacturing in Canada and about 30 years ago they moved their manufacturing to Mexico, quality went way down and they were broke within a few years.

In the thrift shop where I volunteer, some of the volunteers wear a t-shirt which says "Don't throw it away. There is no AWAY" The shirts were apparently sold a few years ago.

bethk, NormM and UNCLE JIMMY like this post

bethk

bethk
Admin

The new refrigerator is coming on Wednesday.

I did choose the 33" LG Again. Unlike your experience, Norm, I loved my 'little' ice cubes with the unit on the door instead of taking up space in the refrigerator. I never had any problem with my ice. Actually, until this problem of not cooling at all, I never had one problem with it.

Let's face it ~ any appliance purchase these days is a crap shoot. Sometimes you get a 'good' one and sometimes you have a 'lemon'. I'm hoping I luck out and get a 'good' one again.

On the bright side, this time I was able to accept the stainless steel model that will now make all my appliances match instead of having to get another white one. But when I bought the last one I still had a white dishwasher and a white stove & microwave. Now everything has changed to ss.

NormM, UNCLE JIMMY and Imelda HL like this post

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

We have a LG about 4 years old. When it was new; about 3 months later, everything was freezing in the lower section of the medium temp. side. Especially the produce. Well make a long story short, I was forced to call LG, and they sent a rep. from the company. He checked it out, and he thought, it was the control panel computer. He set the temps, and said, "see how that works in a week, and see what happens!",........ OK ..... After the week went bye, get on the phone and set up another service call, and I requested a different rep company. He comes out, and plugs in a factory line through his cell phone. He looks at the readout, and said, "Who set the temperature?"..... I said, "The other tech!" ..... He laughed, and said that setting is below 32 degrees. GRRRRR!
He described the more bars, shown on the panel, is the coldest. The owners manual doesn't describe
that. This LG we have, has a linear compressor, and the rep said we would be lucky if it last's 5 years.
They are having a lot of trouble with them. Oh! And in the manual, it says to vacuum the slots in the rear cover, and say's :DO NOT remove the cover.
Well, If you don't remove it, there is no way to clean the condenser coil or dust and debris.

As far as the ice cubes, mine is due for a descaling. I have to use ice machine cleaner. It's a pain to keep from getting water splashing all over. I use a small wet / dry vacuum to suck up the water & cleaner in the tray.

bethk and NormM like this post

bethk

bethk
Admin

Going out to Texas Roadhouse with neighbor Jim tonight.

He goes out to eat almost every day (and definitely every breakfast) and he loves to have some company.

So, what the heck?  We should be nice neighbors!

((  and I don't have to cook.....    LOL  ))

I have to say, Texas Roadhouse here does a consistently nice job on the grilling of their steaks. Everyone was happy with their meal.

April, 2023 ~ No foolin' around.....get busy in the kitchen! - Page 5 04_29_19

JanaAZ

Cookin Lore wrote:
JanaAZ wrote:Chicken Marsala over polenta. One of my all time favorites April, 2023 ~ No foolin' around.....get busy in the kitchen! - Page 5 Img_8311

I grew up with polenta.  Never liked it, but then, there's a lot of stuff I didn't like.  I think I have to give it another try.  Soon! That looks delish.

When we were kids, my mom used to make “cornmeal mush” which I now know was polenta. But if you think it sounds icky….hers was. I love it with a little cream in it and parm….omg so good. You should try it

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

I already cooked the Sunday Supper of City Chicken. I mixed the pork and veal, and breaded them, and all ready in the fridge for frying tomorrow. I made 42 of them. It was DIL's birthday yesterday; so we will celebrate that with her favorite meals of city chix.
The other girls can peel the potatoes, and Tina can make the gravy.
We have quarts of apple sauce that we canned last fall. Canned corn for a veggie.
DD is baking an Angel food cake. Another favorite of DIL's.

bethk likes this post

Cookin Lore

UNCLE JIMMY wrote:I already cooked the Sunday Supper of City Chicken. I mixed the pork and veal, and breaded them, and all ready in the fridge for frying tomorrow. I made 42 of them. It was DIL's birthday yesterday; so we will celebrate that with her favorite meals of city chix.
The other girls can peel the potatoes, and Tina can make the gravy.
We have quarts of apple sauce that we canned last fall. Canned corn for a veggie.
DD is baking an Angel food cake. Another favorite of DIL's.

What is City Chicken?

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 5 of 6]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum