Cooking Friends
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Cooking Friends

Friends sharing recipes, cooking techniques & menu ideas in a friendly atmosphere.

You are not connected. Please login or register

April, 2022 ~ What's 'Spring-ing' in the kitchen?

+2
UNCLE JIMMY
bethk
6 posters

Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 5]

bethk

bethk
Admin

OK, so a day late.....but I didn't cook on April 1st ~ Made a Fool of myself! (Get it? April Fool's Day.....)

Not sure what's on the menu for tonight. I've got Ladies' Luncheon today so I won't be all that hungry. Might have burgers on the table, something HE likes.

UNCLE JIMMY likes this post

bethk

bethk
Admin

When I got home from Ladies' Lunch I mentioned to Dane I would cook burgers for supper and he said he wasn't all that hungry so he'd probably just reheat some of the leftover pork & sauerkraut.

I actually brought home half a chicken / fruit salad from lunch (something I rarely do since I don't like leftovers all that much). But this is a salad I always enjoy and I didn't add any dressing to the part I planned to have for my supper.

So, NO cooking for me again tonight! Woo Hoo!

bethk

bethk
Admin

From Lore:

"Dinner Last night. Lamb chops done using the air fry feature in my oven. I made a marinade of garlic, rosemary, oregano, thyme, salt/pepper and had it in the fridge for about three hours. Also made brown basmati rice with some de-hydrated vegetables which gives the rice nice flavour. And a traditional Greek salad. Lamb chops were the meatiest I’ve ever had. It was a package of 8, four of them are in my freezer.

I had a Reuben for a late lunch with my sons today, so it will be a salad for dinner tonight."

April, 2022 ~ What's 'Spring-ing' in the kitchen? 04_02_14

bethk and UNCLE JIMMY like this post

bethk

bethk
Admin

Those do, indeed, look like mighty meaty lamb chops! I'd make a special run back to the same store to see if they had more just like them!

bethk

bethk
Admin

Well, here we are on day 3 of the new month and it's yet another day I WON'T BE COOKING!

Dane has been doing some odd jobs for neighbor Jim and Jim is insisting on taking us out to eat (because Dane won't accept payment for the bits he's doing). It's always something small, but something Jim is clueless about, and it usually takes Dane about 5 or 6 minutes to complete.

I mean, who would expect payment when asked to bring a wrench to loosen a 'too-tight' hose coupling? On that one I don't think Jim remembered 'righty tighty, lefty loosey'. LOL

bethk

bethk
Admin

From Lore:

"Dinner Tonight. Pork schnitzel with mushroom sauce; fingerling potatoes; sauerkraut sautéed with a bit of bacon."

April, 2022 ~ What's 'Spring-ing' in the kitchen? 04_03_16

bethk

bethk
Admin

WOW! That mushroom sauce looks amazingly rich!  YUM

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Eggplant parmesan, and peel and eat shrimp ... that's it.
Tina and I both have colds. Mine is going away ( cough and sniffles ).
Tina sounds like a frog.

bethk likes this post

bethk

bethk
Admin

Jimmy & Tina ~ make & start breathing & sipping some chicken broth to break up that congestion. Feel better soon!

bethk

bethk
Admin

I had to make two trips to different stores to find chicken wings.....it's such a 'normal' item in the meat department. I don't understand the supply shortages that are so random lately. We're so PAST the middle of the pandemic when all the supply chains were disrupted.

But, I DID get a package. It's unusual for me not to have some in the freezer so I guess I bear half the blame for being out.

I had the time to break down the wings into my flats/tips and his drummies. They've been steamed and are now cooling & drying on a rack over a foil covered sheet pan in the refrigerator. They'll be baked in the convection oven until nice and crispy and then rolled around in some Frank's Buffalo Wing sauce heated with a bit of butter.

I am forever grateful to Norm for posting he used the Alton Brown steaming method. I really like it. I've considered browning the wings on the gas grill but that seems so much more work (and constant attention) as opposed to just letting them go in the oven and turning them just once.

Dane picked green beans so we'll have those also. I think he'll probably want a potato but I'm going to just have the wings & beans. I'm sure it'll be more than enough for me.

bethk

bethk
Admin

You know how sometimes your mouth is all set for a certain taste and when you sit down to supper you realize you nailed it? Well that was our meal tonight.

I've been thinking of Buffalo Wings for a while and tonight we had them ~ the Original Frank's Buffalo Wing Sauce on oven crisped chicken wings. The taste was just what I wanted!

The garden patio pot green beans were delicious and the slaw, a last minute idea, was just right for rounding out the meal. HE did get his baked potato but I knew I'd be fine without it.

Tonight was one of those "3 Napkin Meals......glad we didn't have anyone here to witness our messy eating!

April, 2022 ~ What's 'Spring-ing' in the kitchen? 04_04_17

April, 2022 ~ What's 'Spring-ing' in the kitchen? 04_04_18

UNCLE JIMMY and Imelda HL like this post

bethk

bethk
Admin

From Lore:

"Dinner Tonight. Leftovers of the lasst piece of cordon bleu I made a few days ago, rice from when I made lamb chops, but fresh tomato and cucumber topped with feta.
Yumm. It’s nice to have something ready when I come home from my volunteering job."

April, 2022 ~ What's 'Spring-ing' in the kitchen? 04_04_19

Imelda HL

Imelda HL

Last Sunday we invited our good friends and their daughter who visited them from PA, it was a last minute dinner plan, Saturday I talked to them and asked if they wanted to come over and have dinner with us, I know their daughter wanted to try my Indonesian food, she heard her parents talked about it often, they said yes, so I was busy prepping everything for Sunday dinner. I had some Indonesian spicy beef in my freezer, and another easy meal was BBQ chicken satay ( D did a good job on the satay ), I fried some vermicelli, boiled some veggies for Indonesian salad ( with spicy coconut flakes for the topping ), I made some Potstickers. Everything went well, they enjoyed the food, their daughter loves my chili sauce, I gave  her some to take home.

April, 2022 ~ What's 'Spring-ing' in the kitchen? 0b466310

April, 2022 ~ What's 'Spring-ing' in the kitchen? 47f3c810

April, 2022 ~ What's 'Spring-ing' in the kitchen? Ee4cdd10
April, 2022 ~ What's 'Spring-ing' in the kitchen? 7d21de10
April, 2022 ~ What's 'Spring-ing' in the kitchen? D0dcf510

It was fun to see them taking pictures of the food before eating  Razz

Last edited by Imelda HL on Tue Apr 05, 2022 9:27 pm; edited 1 time in total

NormM

NormM

Our supper was Cornish hens with an Asian type sauce withApril, 2022 ~ What's 'Spring-ing' in the kitchen? 20220414
orange and honey

bethk, UNCLE JIMMY and Imelda HL like this post

http://r2j1cp@gmail.com

bethk

bethk
Admin

What a lot of food you made, Imelda! I'm sure your friends & their daughter appreciated all your efforts. I could make a meal from just your potstickers!!!

Norm, your baby chickens look really good. I never think to pick up Cornish Hens and yours always look so tender and tasty.

I brined the last two of my 'tough' bone-in pork chops from the freezer. Every other meal made from the same package were tough and tasteless. But I made a salt/sugar brine and let them marinate for a good 6 hours in the refrigerator today. When it was time to grill them I dried them with paper towel & drizzled just a bit of olive oil over them so they wouldn't stick to the grill. I made a BBQ Sauce with some Sweet Baby Ray's, Japanese BBQ & peach preserves. It carmalized pretty well and the pork wasn't dry at all. I love the meat from the bone (I actually ate the bits off Dane's bone because he doesn't do anything but cut the meat off.....won't touch it with his fingers).

I just split a sweet potato between the two of us and steamed some broccoli to finish the meal.

April, 2022 ~ What's 'Spring-ing' in the kitchen? 04_05_14

NormM, UNCLE JIMMY and Imelda HL like this post

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Chicken soup was the main and only coarse tonight.
A biscotti for dessert. My achy stuffy; drippy; and sniffy cold is all gone.
Tina is not clear of that yet. I was working on computer glitches all early morning; to no avail. Has it that the cable company was doing a re-start, and update segment, and I didn't know it. grrrrr!

By the way, every ones meals look great. Mmmm!

bethk and Imelda HL like this post

bethk

bethk
Admin

I thawed out some chicken thighs this morning......didn't know what I'd make.

I finally decided on crispy skin boneless thighs ~ started skin side down in a cold cast iron skillet, held in place and tight to the pan with another cast iron skillet (covered in foil) stacked on top.

I made steamed cabbage and zucchini & onions to go along side.

April, 2022 ~ What's 'Spring-ing' in the kitchen? 04_06_13

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Had shpagetts and meat a balls and hot doggies cooked in the sauce with the meatballs.... ( Mom used to do that when there were hot dogs left over.
Now these were low sodium from the butcher shop; and home stuffed.)
Dessert was an ice cream cone; small and ever so good.

bethk likes this post

bethk

bethk
Admin

I knew there were green beans waiting to be picked.....so I had the 'side' ~ just needed the rest of the meal figured out.

So I looked in the freezer in the garage since I had to throw a load of dark clothes in the washer (my washer/dryer combo is in the garage). First thing I saw was two packages of pork baby back ribs. OK, that'll do! I buy the 3-rack package at Sam's Club or Costco and break them down, remove the silver skin & cut into half rack sizes that fit into a gallon zip bag for two. Sometimes I add a dry rub before freezing them, other times not.

It doesn't take long for a half rack of ribs to thaw (started in the microwave) so once thawed I added a bit of some dry rub that I had in the pantry and let them sit. Right now they're on a rack with a bit of Coca Cola in the bottom of the pan to steam them. After an hour or maybe a bit more I'll take off the top foil, drain off the liquid and let them brown up in the oven. Finally, I'll cut them and add some mixture of whatever BBQ sauce I decide. It'll probably be what I've been using lately ~ Sweet Baby Ray's, Japanese BBQ & peach preserves. Maybe I'll add a bit of sambal oelek tonight for a bit of heat.

Oh, yeah, and I've got a sweet potato (on a foil sling) baking along side the pan of ribs.

bethk

bethk
Admin

Ta Da !!!

April, 2022 ~ What's 'Spring-ing' in the kitchen? 04_07_13

NormM and UNCLE JIMMY like this post

bethk

bethk
Admin

From Lore:

"Dinner Tonight. Lentils with snap peas, radish, red pepper and a lot of parsley! Oil, lemon, S/p garam Masala.:

April, 2022 ~ What's 'Spring-ing' in the kitchen? 04_07_14

bethk, NormM and UNCLE JIMMY like this post

bethk

bethk
Admin

Lovely, COLORFUL meal, Lore!

Cookin Lore

bethk wrote:From Lore:

"Dinner Tonight. Lentils with snap peas, radish, red pepper and a lot of parsley!  Oil, lemon, S/p garam Masala.:

April, 2022 ~ What's 'Spring-ing' in the kitchen? 04_07_14

OOOOPS!   Guess I forgot to mention the grilled shrimp.  But, I think everyone kinda figured that out! LOL

PS. I am really trying to cook basically for one meal, as I really don't like reheated stuff. The lentils are fine, because they taste great cold the second day. I've had just too many times lately when I made something and then didn't like it as leftovers.

bethk

bethk
Admin

I didn't feel like cooking tonight.

I left it up to HIM to decide on what to do about a meal ~ ~ ~ so pizza delivery is the plan.

Works for me!

JanaAZ

I’m getting ready for my mini pierogi day tomorrow. So far I have stuffed cabbage made, along with the pierogi dough, sauerkraut, potato and cheese fillings. I also made Steve’s favorite….szarlotka, which is a polish dessert…sort of a cross between a cake and pie.

I’m putting together an appetizer board with meats, cheeses, veggies, etc.  I made a few salami roses and bread for the meat/cheeses already. So much work to do, so little time. April, 2022 ~ What's 'Spring-ing' in the kitchen? 2301f010
April, 2022 ~ What's 'Spring-ing' in the kitchen? 98b52410

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 5]

Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum