Cooking Friends
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Cooking Friends

Friends sharing recipes, cooking techniques & menu ideas in a friendly atmosphere.

You are not connected. Please login or register

March, what's on the menu??

+4
cookingirl
JanaAZ
bethk
Imelda HL
8 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Go down  Message [Page 3 of 7]

51March, what's on the menu?? - Page 3 Empty Re: March, what's on the menu?? Fri Mar 11, 2022 4:11 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

No cooking tonight ~ got a call from some friends and we'll be meeting them out for supper.

I was happy because I was clueless as to what to fix.......

52March, what's on the menu?? - Page 3 Empty Re: March, what's on the menu?? Fri Mar 11, 2022 7:18 pm

Imelda HL

Imelda HL

Tuna Taco today, I pan-grilled the tuna, rubbed with olive oil/salt and lemon peeper seasoning, made coleslaw with my leftover grape cream cheese seasoning ( I added some lemon juice ). I heated the tortilla till crispy

March, what's on the menu?? - Page 3 Feb46b10
March, what's on the menu?? - Page 3 D22a4710
March, what's on the menu?? - Page 3 Fad96310

bethk and UNCLE JIMMY like this post

53March, what's on the menu?? - Page 3 Empty Re: March, what's on the menu?? Fri Mar 11, 2022 8:15 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

From Lore:

"Lunch Today. Friend came for lunch and I made stuffed mushrooms and a bit of a salad with tomato and avocado. Mushroom stuffing was leeks, red pepper, shrimp, scallops sautéed in butter, a bit of cream to finish. Some mozzarella cheese in the mix. Friend loved it."

March, what's on the menu?? - Page 3 03_11_11

March, what's on the menu?? - Page 3 03_11_12

54March, what's on the menu?? - Page 3 Empty Re: March, what's on the menu?? Fri Mar 11, 2022 11:30 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Pizza night Tina made on pita bread, and baked in the toaster oven.
Yesterday was breaded and fried chicken . Yuck!
tough as shoe leather. I took one bite, and settled for the scoop of noodles
instead.

bethk likes this post

55March, what's on the menu?? - Page 3 Empty Re: March, what's on the menu?? Sat Mar 12, 2022 7:41 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

I took the bones out of some chicken thighs & browned them in a cast iron skillet. From the pan fond I added a little bit of thyme from my patio pots and some white wine & let it reduce to almost all evaporated and then added some chicken stock & let that reduce a bit. Finally, I stirred in a mixture of softened butter w/flour to thicken it just a bit.

The orzo got a spoonful of sauce and then the chicken thigh placed on top. Microwaved (for 3 minutes) asparagus was simply seasoned with a bit of butter and s&p.

I made some Waldorf salad this afternoon because I had apples and grapes ~ man, it's been years since I've made that. and it was the same taste as I remember from when my Grandma made it for us at most every holiday meal.

March, what's on the menu?? - Page 3 03_12_16

UNCLE JIMMY likes this post

56March, what's on the menu?? - Page 3 Empty Re: March, what's on the menu?? Sat Mar 12, 2022 10:51 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

It was ziti and meatballs tonight. Tina made a cake, but it was dry. She thought
it was moist... ??? go figure.

bethk likes this post

57March, what's on the menu?? - Page 3 Empty Re: March, what's on the menu?? Sun Mar 13, 2022 1:42 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

Like I always say, the hardest part of cooking supper is trying to decide WHAT it will be!

I didn't know what sounded good......actually, nothing I looked at in the freezer caught my interest. Then I looked in the refrigerator and saw the leftover asparagus from last night and suddenly a ham & asparagus fritatta came to mind.

Since I always 'amp up' the amount of vegetables I chopped a carrot and gave it 3 minutes in the microwave with about a tablespoon of water & covered with plastic wrap to soften it up a bit. I've got half an onion and a stalk of celery chopped and ready to saute before adding some cubed ham ~ and then the cooked asparagus & carrots. All that should be pretty colorful.

Finally, I'll beat up probably 5 eggs (for the two of us) and that will get poured over the hot vegetables in a nonstick skillet. When the eggs start to set I'll finish it in the oven.

It'll get served cut into slices, like a pie, and there will be hot sauce and fresh salsa to spoon over.

Maybe I should get a couple 'bakery rolls' out of the garage freezer.....a bit of toasty, crusty bread will probably just the thing to make a satisfying meal.

58March, what's on the menu?? - Page 3 Empty Re: March, what's on the menu?? Sun Mar 13, 2022 6:35 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

I am completely satisfied with tonight's supper ~ once I had it in my head I got more and more hungry for it......and such a SIMPLE meal!

First, I started by sauteing raw onions & celery in a bit of olive oil & butter. I added some s&p to draw out the moisture as it cooked. I also added the diced ham so the moisture would cook out.

March, what's on the menu?? - Page 3 03_13_12

Meantime, while that was cooking down, I broke 6 eggs, added some s&p, and beat them up with Grandma's Egg Beater. I don't understand why that nifty tool ever went out of fashion (especially with the usual option being a huge balloon whisk that doesn't fit in ANY kitchen drawer).

March, what's on the menu?? - Page 3 03_13_13

Once the onion & celery was softened I added the leftover asparagus and carrots that I had pre-cooked in the microwave. The colors make me so happy!

March, what's on the menu?? - Page 3 03_13_14

I added the beaten eggs and stirred them with a rubber spatula as they began to cook and develop curds. When it was about half way cooked I put the pan into a 325° oven to let it cook through ~ only took about 10 minutes.

March, what's on the menu?? - Page 3 03_13_15

Here's the frittata out of the oven, amazingly transferred to a plate without it splitting into shards of an eggy mess ~ and cut into serving wedges.

March, what's on the menu?? - Page 3 03_13_16

Finally, MY frittata w/toasted bakery roll ~ with a drizzle of bottled Taco Sauce, which is what I enjoy on frittatas or omelettes.

March, what's on the menu?? - Page 3 03_13_17

59March, what's on the menu?? - Page 3 Empty Re: March, what's on the menu?? Sun Mar 13, 2022 8:30 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

From Lore:

"Dinner Tonight ~ Pork tenderloin, onion and pepper done on my grill. Hasselback potato. Yumm! I had not used the grill for a while."

March, what's on the menu?? - Page 3 03_13_18

60March, what's on the menu?? - Page 3 Empty Re: March, what's on the menu?? Sun Mar 13, 2022 9:37 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Lores meal looks great.

Beth, when does your cook book come out ? What a great photo showing
the steps to your frittata.

bethk likes this post

61March, what's on the menu?? - Page 3 Empty Re: March, what's on the menu?? Sun Mar 13, 2022 9:41 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Had Salmon, mashed potatoes, and zucchini....

bethk likes this post

62March, what's on the menu?? - Page 3 Empty Re: March, what's on the menu?? Sun Mar 13, 2022 10:53 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

UNCLE JIMMY wrote:

I do that for DD#2 ~ the one who doesn't cook.....

She needs all the help she can get and pictures work best!

Besides, it amuses me.............

Hahahahahahahaha!

63March, what's on the menu?? - Page 3 Empty Re: March, what's on the menu?? Mon Mar 14, 2022 10:09 am

Cookin Lore

UNCLE JIMMY wrote:Lores  meal looks great.

Thanks, Uncle Jimmy. I'm trying for some colour and presentation............................. In I think Gordon Ramsey's words, I should maybe have thrown some parsley on the side "Charge $2.00 more". Having cooked for a family for 50+ years, presentation was not a big factor. LOL

Got a new computer, and things are different, even on the keyboard.

64March, what's on the menu?? - Page 3 Empty Re: March, what's on the menu?? Mon Mar 14, 2022 6:32 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

Every time I go to the freezer in the garage I see the bag of 10/12 size shrimps I picked up in Homosassa the last time I made a 'fish run'. Tonight I finally took some out to make on the grill ~ lightly brushed with some of the Korean BBQ Sauce that's always in the refrigerator. It's got such a nice flavor on so many meats.

The peapods got way over grown ~ full of big peas ~ because we had so much rain and I couldn't pick them when I should have. So, I made peas & carrots and simmered them for just a couple minutes when the carrots were soft. I 'cheated' and added a bit of sugar to off set the bitterness the peas sometimes get when they're overgrown. HE had seconds of the veg so I'm going to figure they were OK.

HE did ask where the rest of the potato was ~ ~ there were just two itty bitty little potatoes available. But it was enough to make you think there was a starch with the meal! LOL

March, what's on the menu?? - Page 3 03_14_13

UNCLE JIMMY and Imelda HL like this post

65March, what's on the menu?? - Page 3 Empty Re: March, what's on the menu?? Mon Mar 14, 2022 8:18 pm

NormM

NormM

We had steak and potato cakes with cheese added and corn tonight.March, what's on the menu?? - Page 3 20220315
March, what's on the menu?? - Page 3 20220314

bethk, UNCLE JIMMY and Imelda HL like this post

http://r2j1cp@gmail.com

66March, what's on the menu?? - Page 3 Empty Re: March, what's on the menu?? Mon Mar 14, 2022 9:18 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

Nice crisp on those potato cakes, Norm!

NormM likes this post

67March, what's on the menu?? - Page 3 Empty Re: March, what's on the menu?? Tue Mar 15, 2022 12:06 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

This morning I decided to simmer my corned beef flat for Thursday. I like to simmer it in a pot with onion, celery, carrot & a parsnip to add some more flavor and to be sure it's at it's tender best for our supper on Thursday.

After it's fork tender I'll remove it from the pot and put it in a clean one. The cooking liquid will get strained over it and it will all sit and cool down in a sink/bowl of ice water. Then, into the refrigerator until time to slice and reheat on Thursday.

By letting it cool down in the cooking liquid the beef stays moist and when sliced while still cold it cuts into the most beautiful slices without tearing apart. Then it's just a matter of putting it into a casserole dish, adding some of the defatted cooking liquid and reheating it in the oven.

The traditional vegetables will get simmered in the reserved defatted cooking liquid so everything will have that wonderful taste.

March, what's on the menu?? - Page 3 03_15_16

Just thought I'd share this:

Last night I opened the patio door and this guy was on a pole that was leaning against the patio door molding ~ he was 'eye level' to me and scared the bejeebers out of me with those big black eyes shining in the light!

March, what's on the menu?? - Page 3 03_14_14

68March, what's on the menu?? - Page 3 Empty Re: March, what's on the menu?? Tue Mar 15, 2022 4:24 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

Hey, Jimmy ~ Here are the pics I took of my Corned Beef Cooking today ~ DD#2 sent me a text asking me how I 'roasted' the corned beef when she was a kid......

I said, "I DIDN'T ROAST IT ~ I simmered it for hours on the stove top."

And then I took pics to text her with captions explaining all the steps.

Just thought you'd laugh at how detailed I have to be for her.

March, what's on the menu?? - Page 3 03_15_17

March, what's on the menu?? - Page 3 03_15_18

March, what's on the menu?? - Page 3 03_15_19

March, what's on the menu?? - Page 3 03_15_20

March, what's on the menu?? - Page 3 03_15_21

March, what's on the menu?? - Page 3 03_15_22

69March, what's on the menu?? - Page 3 Empty Re: March, what's on the menu?? Tue Mar 15, 2022 6:31 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

Even though I was 'cooking' all day, supper still had to be made.

I tried something a little different with the itty bitty baby potatoes ~ most were smaller than the size of a walnut! I steamed them with a couple tablespoons of water & butter (and salt ~ Jimmy, don't read this part!). It only took a few minutes for them to get tender. Then I cut them in half. Meanwhile, I returned the sauce pan to the stove and reduced all the water so just the butter was left ~ stirred the cut potatoes around to absorb the butter in the hot potatoes. Then the halved potatoes got put cut side down on the sheet pan I was roasting the carrots & parsnips on.

They came out like velvet. The potato taste was concentrated and the edges were just a bit crispy. I'll definetly do them again!

Chicken cutlets ~ after I cut the chicken and pounded it to an even thickness I realized I didn't have any buttermilk. (my carton FINALLY went bad ~ I won't say how many months I've had it in the refrigerator. But when it turns color, it's gone bad!) I ended up mixing some sour cream, half & half and sambal oelek chili garlic paste to marinate the chicken in. I like the thickness to stick the panko crumbs to before browning in a skillet with just olive oil.

The parsnips & carrots were just cut and rolled around in some olive oil, spread on the sheet pan and seasoned with s&p. I roast them at 475° for about 10 minutes and then stir them around and return to the oven that I then turn to the convection with the fan at the same temperature to get a little char.

March, what's on the menu?? - Page 3 03_15_23

UNCLE JIMMY and Imelda HL like this post

70March, what's on the menu?? - Page 3 Empty Re: March, what's on the menu?? Tue Mar 15, 2022 10:19 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

The potatoes Beth, were a bit small, I admit.... hhhhhhhhaaaaaaaaaa

We had chicken legs roasted in the toaster oven till cooked dry with onions,
and mashed potatoes.

bethk likes this post

71March, what's on the menu?? - Page 3 Empty Re: March, what's on the menu?? Wed Mar 16, 2022 11:03 am

Cookin Lore

And I had a disappointing meal. Takeout Greek pasta salad, flavour not bad, but I found that I'm not fond of cold pasta. And two sausages roasted in the oven. one so spicy that the flavour was totally lost, and I love spicy, the other seemed to have vegetables stuffed in it. I ate some because I was hungry, had done a very busy 4 hour cashier shift at my volunteering job.

I had the food from a new to me market, and it's out of the way for me, so chances are I won't go back.

72March, what's on the menu?? - Page 3 Empty Re: March, what's on the menu?? Wed Mar 16, 2022 12:10 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

Cookin Lore wrote:And I had a disappointing meal.  Takeout Greek pasta salad, flavour not bad, but I found that  I'm not fond of cold pasta.  And two sausages roasted in the oven.  one so spicy that the flavour was totally lost, and I love spicy, the other seemed to have vegetables stuffed in it.  I ate some because I was hungry, had done a very busy 4 hour cashier shift at my volunteering job.

I had the food from a new to me market, and it's out of the way for me, so chances are I won't go back.

It IS disappointing to try something new that sounds, as reading the menu, like something I'll enjoy.

We had a similar experience last week when we took Jim to Outback Steak House. Their 'new' menu item was described as "marinated with brown sugar, honey, garlic and spices then grilled for a caramelized char". What we were not expecting was raw garlic so overpowering as to take all the flavor from the steak and spices that didn't seem to go together.

But, you live and learn ~ I've never 'starved to death' and I rarely do more than explain to the manager (if a manager stops by our table to ask how our meals are....) what I didn't care for with the meal. Only if the entire meal is inedible do I take them up on an offer to bring something different to replace my meal.

73March, what's on the menu?? - Page 3 Empty Re: March, what's on the menu?? Wed Mar 16, 2022 12:40 pm

Cookin Lore

If this had been in a restaurant, I would have sent the hot sausage back. And for me to send anything spicy back it would have to be really bad! But, as you said, live and learn. The pasta salad was a greek one, it was the pasta I didn't like. If all the flavours had been with the traditional greek salad of chopped tomatoes, cucs, etc., i would have loved it.

74March, what's on the menu?? - Page 3 Empty Re: March, what's on the menu?? Wed Mar 16, 2022 1:03 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Had scrambled eggs with cheese , toast and coffee.
Tina mailed the taxes to the accountant in south jersey. The woman moved from here, and she has all our records. I hate this time of the year. Mad Mad Mad

bethk likes this post

75March, what's on the menu?? - Page 3 Empty Re: March, what's on the menu?? Wed Mar 16, 2022 3:44 pm

Imelda HL

Imelda HL

bethk wrote:
[

Just thought I'd share this:

Last night I opened the patio door and this guy was on a pole that was leaning against the patio door molding ~ he was 'eye level' to me and scared the bejeebers out of me with those big black eyes shining in the light!

March, what's on the menu?? - Page 3 03_14_14

And you still had time to take his picture Razz

bethk likes this post

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 3 of 7]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum