Cooking Friends
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Cooking Friends

Friends sharing recipes, cooking techniques & menu ideas in a friendly atmosphere.

You are not connected. Please login or register

MARCH - 2023 MARCH TO THE STOVE AND GET "COOKIN"

+2
bethk
UNCLE JIMMY
6 posters

Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 6]

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Well, we made it to march. Last night, we had what Tina
wished for..... Meat Loaf. mashed potatoes and gravy.
Broccoli for a veggie.. Very Happy

bethk likes this post

bethk

bethk
Admin

Yet another 'no starch' meal.....well, OK, so I cheated a bit with the panko on my grouper.  But I don't have any restrictions.  I'm just trying to cook things that don't make him sick.

Grilled Grouper ~ HE had salmon ~ with air fried cauliflower & broccoli.  We love when the broccoli gets incinerated and the little flowers are black & crispy.

WHAT THE HECK????  I just tried to insert my pic and got some sort of "sign in for your photo storage"  I don't know if it's a bug in the system or something else.  I am NOT signing up for any photos.....

MARCH - 2023 MARCH TO THE STOVE AND GET "COOKIN" 03_01_19

Last edited by bethk on Sun Mar 05, 2023 9:11 am; edited 1 time in total

UNCLE JIMMY likes this post

bethk

bethk
Admin

This is what I get if I try to insert a pic.....this has never happened on the forum before.

"Servimg.com - Free image hosting service

Servimg.com is a free image hosting service.
Our image sharing service allows you to upload, host and share images and photos to forums and blogs. Please read the Terms of Service. Upload and share your images and photo galleries on Servimg."

This is weird....

NormM

NormM

I have lost 40 pounds but it took 5 years and the diet was just get really hungry before eating anything then stop eating before I got completely full. It was really slow going with some ups and downs but I have stayed right around 180 for a couple years now. I was down to 172 once one day and between 176 and 180 for most of a year but 180 is where I have been for a couple of years now.

bethk, UNCLE JIMMY and JanaAZ like this post

http://r2j1cp@gmail.com

bethk

bethk
Admin

HE asked, "What's for supper?".............

I came up with the last two ideas to make 'allowable' go-together foods for his diet plan ~ I told him it was up to HIM to come up with an idea because I'm fresh out of any thoughts of what to cook.

HE thought about it for a few minutes and then said he'd like to have a chicken salad like the one Robin & I made when she was here.....the sauteed (seasoned) chicken cutlets on top of the Mediterranean Cucumber Salad.  So, even though I just made it (and enjoyed it) that's what's for supper.

Glad you all got pictures of it since I cannot download any more pics to this site....

((    sigh    ))

(**Amazingly ~ MY problem with uploading pictures has gone away.....So I'm going back and inserting where appropriate.)

MARCH - 2023 MARCH TO THE STOVE AND GET "COOKIN" 03_02_16

Last edited by bethk on Sun Mar 05, 2023 9:13 am; edited 1 time in total

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Tina was in PA shopping at Sam's Club, and she brought back a roticery chicken.
We have to continue baking it. The leg won't pull off = NOT DONE'

bethk likes this post

bethk

bethk
Admin

UNCLE JIMMY wrote:Tina was in PA shopping at Sam's Club, and she brought back a roticery chicken.

I agree with continuing to roast the Sam's Club rotisserie chickens! The last 2 I purchased were really large ~ and both had pink flesh at the bones. I ended up turning them both into stock.

I would advise baking it for another 45 minutes to 1 hour ~ there's plenty of moisture in those things so it probably won't dry out.

bethk

bethk
Admin

Supper was a success!

HE really enjoyed the Greek Chicken Salad ~ only thing is.....I FORGOT TO SPRINKLE HIS SALAD WITH FETA CHEESE!

Oh, well, he ate every bite and certainly seemed to enjoy it. I'm glad he's able to have a meal and not get a gut ache.

He doesn't have his colonoscopy scheduled until the end of March ~ that was the first appointment they had available at the VA Clinic. I sure hope he's healed up by then and can go back to eating whatever he wants.....

NormM

NormM

jaques Pépin cuts the skin between the thigh and the trunk of the chicken when roasting it so the leg falls away from the chicken and lets that part cook faster.

bethk and UNCLE JIMMY like this post

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

bethk wrote:
UNCLE JIMMY wrote:Tina was in PA shopping at Sam's Club, and she brought back a roticery chicken.

I agree with continuing to roast the Sam's Club rotisserie chickens!  The last 2 I purchased were really large ~ and both had pink flesh at the bones.  I ended up turning them both into stock.

I would advise baking it for another 45 minutes to 1 hour ~ there's plenty of moisture in those things so it probably won't dry out.  
Beth ...... exactly. We baked it for an hour, and the bones pulled right off.
The chicken was still moist, but still well done. I ate the crisp wings.'

bethk

bethk
Admin

NormM wrote:jaques Pépin cuts the skin between the thigh and the trunk of the chicken when roasting it so the leg falls away from the chicken and lets that part cook faster.

I, too, have seen him do that. I've tried it and it seems to work well (tried on a Thanksgiving turkey). I love the way he explains to cut at the 'articulation' of the thigh and also of the wing to the 'shoulder' of the bird.

Nothing gives me the 'willys' more than that pink, raw chicken at the joints......Ewwwww!

bethk

bethk
Admin

DD#1, (Andrea the cooking daughter) told me she purchases the Springer Mountain Farms brand of whole chickens and she really likes the taste & texture.  She said they're usually a little more expensive but the taste makes up for any small bit of extra cost.

I found the brand at Publix today ~ and I don't know if they were on sale or if they are normally today's price but they weren't any more expensive than the Tyson or Perdue brands.  So, I pickup a couple ~ one to roast on the gas grill tonight and one to put into the freezer for another time.  The supply is so sporadic that I wanted to have one on hand.

I'm going to roast it using the 'upright' chicken roasting frame ~ very similar to a beer-can chicken contraption.  I've had this set-up for years ~ my mom sent away for it when she saw it in the Lillian Vernon Mail Order Catalog.  Man, my mother LOVED to shop from those little catalogs ~ amazing and unique items that fascinated her.  It's a shame she didn't live long enough to have an Amazon account!  LOL

Dane just checked to be sure we had enough gas in the grill canister ~ and found it necessary to change tanks since I told him I'll probably have the grill going for 1-1/2 to 2 hours.  I don't want to have the oven going in the house that long, that's for sure.  (and, yes, that's because it's in the mid 80's today)  

MARCH - 2023 MARCH TO THE STOVE AND GET "COOKIN" 03_03_14

Last edited by bethk on Sun Mar 05, 2023 9:17 am; edited 1 time in total

bethk

bethk
Admin

I've had a bunch (3 large) beets in the refrigerator for a couple weeks.  They're NOT on HIS approved to eat with meat list. I didn't want them to go to waste so I decided to turn them into a favorite ~ Pickled Red Beets w/Onions.

It's easy & once the hot liquid is poured over the cooked/sliced beets & raw onions the jar/container just has to sit in the back of the refrigerator for a couple weeks (up to a year in MY experience).  It took me a while to figure out the ratios my Grandma used as she never wrote it down ~ guess she thought it was so easy there wasn't any real recipe.

I had a 1-1/2 quart locking container I was going to use, 3 large red beets (cooked until tender, skins slipped off & sliced) and one medium size sweet onion cut into fairly thick slices, separated into rings.

The pickle brine is 1-1/2 c. Cider Vinegar, 1-1/2 c. Water, 1-1/2 c. White Sugar, 1 Cinnamon STICK, 2 WHOLE cloves ~ bring to a boil until the sugar dissolves.  

Layer the raw onion rings & cooked sliced beets in your container, pour over the hot brine ~ cool to room temperature then seal & stash in the back of the refrigerator for 3 weeks.  The hot brine is enough to soften the onions just slightly but still allow them to be a bit crunchy.  

After sitting for a few weeks you can use the brine (which will be red) to make pickled eggs ~ hard boiled eggs added to the pickling liquid when they are still warm so they absorb the color & flavor.  Refrigerate up to 2 weeks.

MARCH - 2023 MARCH TO THE STOVE AND GET "COOKIN" 03_03_15

Last edited by bethk on Sun Mar 05, 2023 9:18 am; edited 1 time in total

bethk

bethk
Admin

I've spent some time watching YouTube Videos today ~ making soups......

And, of course, NOW there MUST be soup in my near future.

Unfortunately, what I want is some Portuguese Sausage Kale Soup.....but HE can't have it ~ so I'll have to wait and make it when his stomach is healed and he can enjoy it with me.

But I got to looking at his list of foods that can be eaten together and I think my Polish Dill Pickle Soup has all approved vegetables. There's no meat in it ~ potatoes, carrots, dill pickles & pickle juice and a bit of flour & sour cream. It's cooked in water, not broth. Maybe I'll make a small pot of that. Just enough for one meal. Oh, Oh, OH! We could have some grilled bread with it! I can't tell you how much I'm missing the occasional dinner roll or toasted sourdough bread.

bethk

bethk
Admin

My vertical grilled chicken was Delicious!  I seasoned it simply with s&p ~ inside & out.  It was on the grill for an hour and was beautifully golden brown ~ the breast tested at 199° and the thighs at 205°.  After I allowed it to rest and I carved the parts the joints were still 'pink' looking, although the meat itself looked completely done (the way it cut, tore....) but since I didn't like the color I took it back out to the grill and let the cut sides brown a bit on the hot grates.  It only took 10 minutes to get to a color I liked.

When we sat down to eat the chicken was COMPLETELY WELL DONE (I don't think I really needed to 'double grill' the cut pieces) but it was still moist and really tasty.  I think the color around the thigh/leg joints was due to the fact that it was a really young chicken and that's normal for bones that aren't mature.

At least that's what I read on the internet so it must be true.........

Hahahahahaha

MARCH - 2023 MARCH TO THE STOVE AND GET "COOKIN" 03_03_16

MARCH - 2023 MARCH TO THE STOVE AND GET "COOKIN" 03_03_17

MARCH - 2023 MARCH TO THE STOVE AND GET "COOKIN" 03_03_18

Last edited by bethk on Sun Mar 05, 2023 9:19 am; edited 1 time in total

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Today was Dr. Day for me. It was a mid day appointment so there was no desire to cook
much. Tina cooked salmon patties and we nibbled on them. Took a nap, and woke up to boiling shrimp that Tina put on for peel and eat for later.

bethk likes this post

bethk

bethk
Admin

I was planning to make the Dill Pickle Soup for our supper but neighbor Jim asked us to go out to eat with him. I could have invited him for supper but I know for a fact he'd NEVER even taste something with dill pickles in it! LOL

NormM

NormM

Bahn mi sandwiches

MARCH - 2023 MARCH TO THE STOVE AND GET "COOKIN" Img_0712

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Today was funeral day for a friend. It was grab a bite and continue
to the rest of the day. So it was leftover chicken for Tina, and a fried bell pepper sandwich for me.
I just had some cookies for dessert..... Onward to the recliner to sleep; and ready waffles for breakfast this morning....

bethk likes this post

bethk

bethk
Admin

I have no idea WHY I was having difficulties inserting pictures in my posts but after I saw Norm's Bahn mi sandwiches picture posted I decided to try again.....

POOF! Problem gone! Insert photos!

I returned to my earlier March posts and inserted all my pictures.

bethk

bethk
Admin

I went back to Publix on Friday and they had more of the delicious peaches I had purchased when DD#1 was visiting.  I let them sit on the counter to soften for a few days and this morning decided it was time to make something with them.

I only had 3 (weighed at 1 lb. 8 oz.) so not enough for a pie.....

Then I remembered the 'EASY' peach cobbler recipe I made years ago....the cuppa/cuppa/cuppa recipe.  So, that's what I made!  I did cut the recipe by half and used fresh peaches instead of canned but I just adjusted and added some brown sugar & cornstarch to the peaches as I would do for a peach pie.

I put the casserole dish into the toaster oven ~ it was filled to within 2" of the top, I figured it would be fine.

Well, less than half way through the baking time I looked in the glass door and it sure looked like it was rising up more than I anticipated.  Yikes!  (act fast !!!)

I grabbed a quarter sheet pan, covered it with foil and pulled the casserole dish out of the toaster oven to catch any 'bake overs' so I didn't have a giant mess in the bottom of the oven.

PHEW!  Just in time!  Within 3 minutes of re-closing the oven door, there she blows!  Right up and over the side.

Man, I love it when a plan comes together!

MARCH - 2023 MARCH TO THE STOVE AND GET "COOKIN" 03_05_14

Disaster averted !!!!

MARCH - 2023 MARCH TO THE STOVE AND GET "COOKIN" 03_05_15

(( and, NO, my stovetop isn't filthy.....that's just the reflection of the edge of the foil covered sheet pan ~ when I saw it at first it sure looked like 'crud'.... ))

bethk

bethk
Admin

I made the Dill Pickle Soup for supper tonight ~ had it with some fresh and toasted sourdough bread. It seems like a month since I've had any bread or potatoes ~ or carrots for that matter....but, truth be told, it's probably only been a week or two.

I'm such a whinner......

LOL

But the soup was tasty ~ and quick to make ~ so I'm in a win-win situation.

Now to find out if HE wakes up at 2:00 a.m. in agony.....

Only time will tell.

MARCH - 2023 MARCH TO THE STOVE AND GET "COOKIN" 03_05_16

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Supper was chicken wings..... Baked at 300 degrees for 3 1/2 hours covered with
onions. Pfroblem was they stuck to the foil and burned on the crispy skin side.
We have non stick foil, but SHE wouldn't use it after my comment to "Why are you not using the non -stick foil????? ...... She said ' " Nah, foil won't stick!" HELLOooooo !"
It turned into a slight s**t show, and wasn't pleasant

bethk likes this post

bethk

bethk
Admin

From Lore:

"Dinner Tonight. Stuffed pork tenderloin, crinkle cut potatoes and steamed sprouts. Yumm!"

MARCH - 2023 MARCH TO THE STOVE AND GET "COOKIN" 03_05_17

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Beef Stew.... with mashed potatoes, carrots, and gravy to slightly thicken the liquid and delicious
juices.
I had 6 large peel and eat shrimp for lunch, and 2 ginger snaps.

bethk likes this post

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 6]

Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum