Cooking Friends
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Cooking Friends

Friends sharing recipes, cooking techniques & menu ideas in a friendly atmosphere.

You are not connected. Please login or register

March, what's on the menu??

+4
cookingirl
JanaAZ
bethk
Imelda HL
8 posters

Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 7]

1March, what's on the menu?? Empty March, what's on the menu?? Tue Mar 01, 2022 1:52 pm

Imelda HL

Imelda HL

I'm starting this month's chat

2March, what's on the menu?? Empty Re: March, what's on the menu?? Tue Mar 01, 2022 2:12 pm

Imelda HL

Imelda HL

This coming Saturday, we are going to have my MiL's birthday dinner, it will be only us and a couple of her best friends/neighbors, they are her and her late husband long time best friends. Dirk wants to BBQ, yesterday I saw rib-eye's steaks at the store, but it was so expensive, about $12/lbs, so I told Dirk, let's wait to see their new weekly ads that usually starts on Wednesday and posts online on Tuesday, so today I saw the ads online, rib-eyes steak is on weekly sale this week. only $5.97/lbs, Choice cut. If we get 6 bones for the 6 of us, it will make a huge difference on my wallet. Shocked

My SiL is going to bring Green bean casserole, I'm planning to make some potato cakes, and  I have 1 spaghetti squash that I'm going to sautee with garlic, some salad. I might make some eggrolls too. I wonder if I still need to make some mashed potato, any suggestion?

Here is my Potato cakes  

March, what's on the menu?? E0e86310

bethk and cookingirl like this post

3March, what's on the menu?? Empty Re: March, what's on the menu?? Tue Mar 01, 2022 6:46 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

What a treat for a festive Birthday Dinner! And you were very smart to wait to see if the price dropped.....drives me crazy to pay 'full-price' and then find the price goes to a low BEFORE I've cooked what I over paid for!

Happy Birthday to MIL !!!

cookingirl likes this post

4March, what's on the menu?? Empty Re: March, what's on the menu?? Tue Mar 01, 2022 7:31 pm

JanaAZ

Celebrating Fat Tuesday with some paczki. Two fillings…homemade plum jam and homemade cream fillings. Steve had a few friends over to help,eat them and I sent a plate to a local florist who does a lot for the community.

March, what's on the menu?? C3467f10

bethk likes this post

5March, what's on the menu?? Empty Re: March, what's on the menu?? Tue Mar 01, 2022 7:38 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

Yer Killin' Me, Judy!

(Those look amazing!)

I pulled fish filets out this morning. Salmon for him and Grouper for me.

I had the last couple yellow squash w/onion sauteed for a side. I had originally planned to have a cucumber/onion salad but, unfortunately, the BOGO second cucumber I got last week didn't make it to THIS week. Man, that drives me crazy. You'd think the English cucumbers wrapped in plastic would last a week in the refrigerator.....but I didn't even have to slice off the plastic wrap to know this one was going to be tossed. Aaaarrrrgggghhhh!

March, what's on the menu?? 03_01_14

cookingirl and Imelda HL like this post

6March, what's on the menu?? Empty Re: March, what's on the menu?? Tue Mar 01, 2022 8:39 pm

cookingirl

cookingirl

Just wanted to say hello to all

Last edited by cookingirl on Tue Mar 01, 2022 10:39 pm; edited 1 time in total

bethk, Imelda HL and JanaAZ like this post

7March, what's on the menu?? Empty Re: March, what's on the menu?? Tue Mar 01, 2022 8:56 pm

NormM

NormM

I saw a recipe that said it was Classic Southern but I don't think so.  The flours was half Wondra and half peanut flour. The only coleslaw that Charlie likes is from KFC.  I found a copycat recipe and he said it was really good.  The fries were copycat McDs.March, what's on the menu?? 20220310

bethk and Imelda HL like this post

http://r2j1cp@gmail.com

8March, what's on the menu?? Empty Re: March, what's on the menu?? Tue Mar 01, 2022 10:52 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

NormM wrote:I saw a recipe that said it was Classic Southern but I don't think so.  The flours was half Wondra and half peanut flour. The only coleslaw that Charlie likes is from KFC.  I found a copycat recipe and he said it was really good.  The fries were copycat McDs.

"Classic Southern"??? That's interesting......... Actually, I've never heard of peanut flour. Maybe they meant to say to use White Lily Wondra? LOL

The copycat KFC coleslaw is one I've made and found to be pretty good. I, too, like that from the restaurant and am amazed that no matter which KFC restaurant I get it from it does always taste the same. I've always wondered how they manage that! Hahahahahaha

Remember when the McD fries were made with FRESH potatoes? I can remember being in grade school and getting to go on a 'tour' of a McDonald's restaurant. They had a huge machine to peel (or, rather, grate off the skins) the potatoes and then a noisy cutter and finally the fry. It was SO exciting to have our McDonald's paper hats on and to see how they made everything so fast. They had amazing milk shakes then, too. It was such an assembly line. Just like the Henry Ford museum of how they made automobiles.....but better because we all got a 'free' lunch!

9March, what's on the menu?? Empty Re: March, what's on the menu?? Tue Mar 01, 2022 11:23 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

I just got curious about how much duck fat for frying might cost.  I looked on Amazon and they offer different sizes ~ but the gallon size container of rendered duck fat goes for $79 !!!

Yikes!

Actually, I think I prefer peanut oil.  But even that seems like such a waste of money because I always overheat it and then it breaks down when the food is frying and I end up having to dump it.

And besides, I hate the mess of deep frying......not to mention I don't need fried foods in my menu plan EVER!  LOL

My absolute favorite fried potato dish (that I have made at least 3 times......) is the Jonathan Waxman baked potato fried chunks that he 'steam' bakes then tears into chunks, deep fries until crispy and brown and then rolls around in a seasoned salt/herb mixture. I have to force myself to NOT think about making them because that's one that is so tempting to me.

10March, what's on the menu?? Empty Re: March, what's on the menu?? Wed Mar 02, 2022 12:28 am

NormM

NormM

bethk wrote:
NormM wrote:I saw a recipe that said it was Classic Southern but I don't think so.  The flours was half Wondra and half peanut flour. The only coleslaw that Charlie likes is from KFC.  I found a copycat recipe and he said it was really good.  The fries were copycat McDs.

"Classic Southern"???  That's interesting.........  Actually, I've never heard of peanut flour.  Maybe they meant to say to use White Lily Wondra?  LOL

The copycat KFC coleslaw is one I've made and found to be pretty good.  I, too, like that from the restaurant and am amazed that no matter which KFC restaurant I get it from it does always taste the same.  I've always wondered how they manage that!  Hahahahahaha

Remember when the McD fries were made with FRESH potatoes?  I can remember being in grade school and getting to go on a 'tour' of a McDonald's restaurant.  They had a huge machine to peel (or, rather, grate off the skins) the potatoes and then a noisy cutter and finally the fry.  It was SO exciting to have our McDonald's paper hats on and to see how they made everything so fast.  They had amazing milk shakes then, too.  It was such an assembly line.  Just like the Henry Ford museum of how they made automobiles.....but better because we all got a 'free' lunch!

People have said to me that this McD copycat recipe tastes like they used to taste. The article that printed the recipe seemed to thing it was more trouble than it was worth but I don't think so.

11March, what's on the menu?? Empty Re: March, what's on the menu?? Wed Mar 02, 2022 12:30 am

NormM

NormM

bethk wrote:

"Classic Southern"???  That's interesting.........  Actually, I've never heard of peanut flour.  Maybe they meant to say to use White Lily Wondra?  LOL

The copycat KFC coleslaw is one I've made and found to be pretty good.  I, too, like that from the restaurant and am amazed that no matter which KFC restaurant I get it from it does always taste the same.  I've always wondered how they manage that!  Hahahahahaha

Remember when the McD fries were made with FRESH potatoes?  I can remember being in grade school and getting to go on a 'tour' of a McDonald's restaurant.  They had a huge machine to peel (or, rather, grate off the skins) the potatoes and then a noisy cutter and finally the fry.  It was SO exciting to have our McDonald's paper hats on and to see how they made everything so fast.  They had amazing milk shakes then, too.  It was such an assembly line.  Just like the Henry Ford museum of how they made automobiles.....but better because we all got a 'free' lunch!

People have said to me that this McD copycat recipe tastes like they used to taste.  The article that printed the recipe seemed to thing it was more trouble than it was worth but I don't think so. I used peanut butter paste in this recipe because they had it at Walmart and it says on the label that it was only created about 14 years ago.

12March, what's on the menu?? Empty Re: March, what's on the menu?? Wed Mar 02, 2022 7:40 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

I had a boneless chicken breast that I wondered what to make. I finally decided on chicken cutlets. Some red beets got boiled and then cooled to skin and the stems/leaves were simmered and then the cut red beet roots added to heat through. I also made some sweet potato rounds simply browned and then steamed in a little cast iron skillet.

I went and picked up a fresh English cucumber for cucumber/onion salad because the last one I had in the drawer 'went south' unexpectedly and I really had a taste for the salad.

March, what's on the menu?? 03_02_14

13March, what's on the menu?? Empty Re: March, what's on the menu?? Wed Mar 02, 2022 9:18 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

From Lore:

"Dinner ~ Simple chicken leg and a baked potato. And a slice of cauliflower “steak” sautéed in butter and I added a bit of cheese to the top. Yumm!"

March, what's on the menu?? 03_02_15

bethk likes this post

14March, what's on the menu?? Empty Re: March, what's on the menu?? Wed Mar 02, 2022 9:26 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

Boy, our neighborhood is shrinking on an almost daily basis.......

I have the honor of sending out emails to everyone in the villas to let them know if someone is ill or has passed away.

On Monday one of our neighbors had a heart attack and passed away that evening. He wasn't what I would consider 'old' ~ and he was active and on the go with his lady friend (they had recently undergone face lifts.....not something you would spend $$$ on if you weren't well..... It was just such a shock coming so soon after our 67 year old HOA President passed away from complications of the COVID 19 virus.

Then, a little while ago, another neighbor sent me a note that her elderly neighbor who had just decided with his wife to list their villa for sale and return to Illinois to be closer to family got admitted to the hospital last week and passed away 5 days later. I didn't know him all that well but he and his wife liked to sit in lawn chairs outside their front door and wave and say, "hi" to everyone who walked past or drove by in their golf carts.

It's a little scary to wonder who's next.......

Imelda HL likes this post

15March, what's on the menu?? Empty Re: March, what's on the menu?? Thu Mar 03, 2022 3:51 am

Imelda HL

Imelda HL

I'm planning to make some salad for our Saturday dinner, I have bunch of grapes in my fridge drawer, I remember Beth ( right ?) had a good recipe for that, would you share it again, please? Thank you. I still need to go to the store to pick up the ribs, so I can also buy the veggies for the salad. I'm going to make Vietnamese spring rolls with rice wrappers, hopefully they will come out good

16March, what's on the menu?? Empty Re: March, what's on the menu?? Thu Mar 03, 2022 8:33 am

bethk

bethk
Admin

Imelda ~ you don't need much for this salad.....the main ingredient is GRAPES! Actually, the color doesn't matter because they get completely covered with the 'sauce'. We liked it really cold, straight from the refrigerator.

Creamy Grape Salad
(Taste of Home Magazine)

Ingredients
• 1 package (8 ounces) cream cheese, softened
• 1 cup sour cream
• 1/3 cup sugar
• 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
• 2 pounds seedless red grapes
• 2 pounds seedless green grapes
• 3 tablespoons brown sugar
• 3 tablespoons chopped pecans

Directions

1. In a large bowl, beat the cream cheese, sour cream, sugar and vanilla until blended. Add grapes and toss to coat.

2. Transfer to a serving bowl. Cover and refrigerate until serving. Sprinkle with brown sugar and pecans just before serving.

17March, what's on the menu?? Empty Re: March, what's on the menu?? Thu Mar 03, 2022 8:25 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

Burgers were the first thing I saw when I opened the freezer.....so, burgers on the charcoal grill is what was for supper.

I got a hunger for some macaroni salad and, to me, was the best thing on my plate. I guess it's because I make it so seldom that when I do make it.......YUM!

I blanched some brocolli flowerettes in the same water I boiled the macaroni and then let it cool down. At supper time I stirred it around in a little olive oil in a cast iron skillet to get a tiny bit of char and finished it off with just a small tablespoon of the bottled Korean BBQ Sauce that's always in my refrigerator. It's so easy to add some flavor to an otherwise bland dish.....

March, what's on the menu?? 03_03_12

18March, what's on the menu?? Empty Re: March, what's on the menu?? Thu Mar 03, 2022 9:16 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

From Lore:

"Dinner Tonight. Stir fry of onion, mushrooms , red pepper and broccoli. Shrimp and scallops. Served on tagliatelle The cream I wanted to add was sour, so I just really buttered the noodles Yumm!"

March, what's on the menu?? 03_03_13

bethk likes this post

19March, what's on the menu?? Empty Re: March, what's on the menu?? Thu Mar 03, 2022 9:17 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

Really pretty, Lore!

20March, what's on the menu?? Empty Re: March, what's on the menu?? Fri Mar 04, 2022 1:18 am

Imelda HL

Imelda HL

bethk wrote:Imelda ~ you don't need much for this salad.....the main ingredient is GRAPES!  Actually, the color doesn't matter because they get completely covered with the 'sauce'.  We liked it really cold, straight from the refrigerator.

Creamy Grape Salad
(Taste of Home Magazine)

Ingredients
• 1 package (8 ounces) cream cheese, softened
• 1 cup sour cream
• 1/3 cup sugar
• 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
• 2 pounds seedless red grapes
• 2 pounds seedless green grapes
• 3 tablespoons brown sugar
• 3 tablespoons chopped pecans

Directions

1. In a large bowl, beat the cream cheese, sour cream, sugar and vanilla until blended. Add grapes and toss to coat.

2. Transfer to a serving bowl. Cover and refrigerate until serving. Sprinkle with brown sugar and pecans just before serving.

Thanks Beth, I must have thought some other kind grape salad. I'll make it this Saturday

21March, what's on the menu?? Empty Re: March, what's on the menu?? Fri Mar 04, 2022 12:12 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

It takes some getting use to the difference in growing seasons in Florida as opposed to all the years in Ohio when we had big & little gardens. But today was the first picking of peapods.

So, tonight will be a beef & peapod stir fry.

It's so good to have a meal planned without wondering what's fresh in the refrigerator.

March, what's on the menu?? 03_04_12

JanaAZ likes this post

22March, what's on the menu?? Empty Re: March, what's on the menu?? Fri Mar 04, 2022 6:13 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

It all looks so good.
??? Who is zat? ..... It's mee, Jimmy.
All is getting a little better every day, but still tired and just able to do only
a little. I will check in now and then.
Having cod fish tonight, with cauliflower and no salt tomato soup. and one cookie.

bethk likes this post

23March, what's on the menu?? Empty Re: March, what's on the menu?? Fri Mar 04, 2022 7:35 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

The peapods in the Beef & Peapods Stir Fry were SO tasty! Fresh and small make for really tasty peas!

March, what's on the menu?? 03_04_13

I picked up some grapes that were on sale at ALDI today and couldn't resist making the Grape 'Salad' for dessert. I'm trying to convince myself that since it's ONLY grapes that it's really a healthy dessert.....I left off the extra brown sugar garnish, reasoning the cream cheese, sour cream and white sugar 'dressing' was decadent enough!

March, what's on the menu?? 03_04_14

24March, what's on the menu?? Empty Re: March, what's on the menu?? Fri Mar 04, 2022 9:36 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

From Lore:

"Dinner Tonight. Pork ribs with a simple ketchup brown sugar sauce; couscous with lots of parsley, red and yellow pepper and green onions. Yellow heirloom tomato with feta."

March, what's on the menu?? 03_04_15

bethk likes this post

25March, what's on the menu?? Empty Re: March, what's on the menu?? Fri Mar 04, 2022 10:50 pm

Imelda HL

Imelda HL

UNCLE JIMMY wrote:It all looks so good.
??? Who is zat?  ..... It's mee, Jimmy.
All is getting a little better every day, but still tired and just able to do only
a little. I will check in now and then.
Having cod fish tonight, with cauliflower and no salt tomato soup. and one cookie.

Hi Jimmy, I'm glad you are feeling better, we are patiently waiting for you to join our chat again

bethk and UNCLE JIMMY like this post

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 7]

Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum