Cooking Friends
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Cooking Friends

Friends sharing recipes, cooking techniques & menu ideas in a friendly atmosphere.

You are not connected. Please login or register

March, 2018...Whats for Breakfast / Lunch / Brunch ??

+3
Crybaby
bethk
UNCLE JIMMY
7 posters

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 2]

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

I have a hankering for a nice omelet.
I am thinking of making them tonight, and just heating them up in the morning. Oh Boy!.... and we can have waffles; because there is batter left over from the other day.
BTW.... those waffles were not cooked right. Tina saw this big 4 waffle maker on HSN. Low Low power ( wattage ), and it took forever to bake waffles. Win some / lose some !

bethk

bethk
Admin

Boy, waffles sound really good, Jimmy.

DD has always wanted one of those 'flip-over' models. Maybe this is the year she gets one....I saw the testing report on ATK and the $90 model of a double one was the winner. Gotta go check 'em out at BBB (where I go to see the actual product before finding the best price wherever....)

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

bethk wrote:Boy, waffles sound really good, Jimmy.

DD has always wanted one of those 'flip-over' models.  Maybe this is the year she gets one....I saw the testing report on ATK and the $90 model of a double one was the winner.  Gotta go check 'em out at BBB (where I go to see the actual product before finding the best price wherever....)

We had two of the belgian waffler bakers. One was great, but it actually fell apart. The screws were drilled into plastic at the hinges, and just fell out. That one was the Waring Pro. I would believe they corrected the problems by now. We have the Oster $49.99 one now.
It works OK.... but nothing to write home about.

Last edited by UNCLE JIMMY on Thu Mar 01, 2018 2:42 pm; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : added product site)

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Son and DIL slept over last night. No power on their area.
I fried a pound of bacon last night, and then I made them omelets.
Made blue tube biscuits.

bethk

bethk
Admin

Thanks for sending me the memo on the omelettes, Jimmy.....

Brunch today ~ Vegetable/Cream Cheese Omelette:

March, 2018...Whats for Breakfast / Lunch / Brunch ?? 03_04_10

bethk

bethk
Admin

Dane's at golf this morning so I took the opportunity to make one of MY personal favorites ~ without having him give me 'the look' because he won't eat something so carb laden. His loss....what can I say?

I only make them about once a year now and TODAY is my day!

March, 2018...Whats for Breakfast / Lunch / Brunch ?? 03_08_10

Crybaby

Crybaby

bethk wrote:Dane's at golf this morning so I took the opportunity to make one of MY personal favorites ~ without having him give me 'the look' because he won't eat something so carb laden.  His loss....what can I say?  

I only make them about once a year now and TODAY is my day!

March, 2018...Whats for Breakfast / Lunch / Brunch ?? 03_08_10

Mmmmm! I know you don't call them latkes but those are some gorgeous latkes, no matter what you put on them or serve them with, dammit!

bethk

bethk
Admin

I prefer the ones I make when I 'grind' the potatoes, but for one serving the little box grater works just fine.

I can remember using my KitchenAid grinder to grind up 10 lbs. of potatoes and 5 lbs. of onions for a company amount of Potato Pancakes.  Even with the electric grinder it was still a ton of work.  And it all had to be squeezed dry in linen kitchen towels to get rid of the moisture.

I had to cook them in two CI skillets on the stove and another batch going at the same time in the electric skillet.

Served them with homemade applesauce and sour cream w/chives........and grilled brats.

As I remember, they were eaten in record time and then they were gone.....((sigh))

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

I had an Taylor Ham 3 slices fried crispy, and egg and cheese, on rye toast.
OMG....lots of fresh ground coarse pepper, and the rye toast, buttered lightly.
Nice HOT cup of Krispy Kreme Coffee, in my Krispy Kreme Mug, and I was in Heaven...

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

bethk wrote:I prefer the ones I make when I 'grind' the potatoes, but for one serving the little box grater works just fine.

I can remember using my KitchenAid grinder to grind up 10 lbs. of potatoes and 5 lbs. of onions for a company amount of Potato Pancakes.  Even with the electric grinder it was still a ton of work.  And it all had to be squeezed dry in linen kitchen towels to get rid of the moisture.

I had to cook them in two CI skillets on the stove and another batch going at the same time in the electric skillet.

Served them with homemade applesauce and sour cream w/chives........and grilled brats.

As I remember, they were eaten in record time and then they were gone.....((sigh))

They surely look good Beth.
I like em with sour cream, and Tina eats them with Grape Jelly.
BTW .... we got trucks up here from Toledo to try and put back some of the power grid for First Energy. Some from Indiana too!

bethk

bethk
Admin

Well, for your sake, I hope they get the job done in record time!

Nothing worse than cold weather and no power.

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

bethk wrote:Well, for your sake, I hope they get the job done in record time!

Nothing worse than cold weather and no power.

My son had no power last Friday, and was restored on Tuesday. The guy from Indiana said, "I can't believe they didn't fix this One Wire that fell of the pole!" ..... He said "they have us driving in circles, and have no clue what needs to be fixed up here!!"

Sure! .... they sent the crews to the rich area's and let us Walmart Survivors to fend for ourselves. LOL

cookingirl

cookingirl

UNCLE JIMMY wrote:
BTW .... we got trucks up here from Toledo to try and put back some of the power grid for First Energy. Some from Indiana too!

We still have over 3,000 houses in Massachusetts without electricity... and we are getting ANOTHER
Nor'Easter, Monday night into Tuesday (all Day)..
this is ridiculous!!!

I have to stop making plans!! Each time I schedule an appointment for Artie, we have a Nor'Easter!!

Another rescheduling!!!

NormM

NormM

Several years ago, in another city, when I lived across the street from the hospital and the electricity went off, they had it back on quickly. When I retired and moved away from there to a small house in a low rent area, it would often take a day or more.

http://r2j1cp@gmail.com

bethk

bethk
Admin

Not so funny, huh?

We lived for 45 years directly across from the Township Police / Fire Department. Even during the blizzard of '78 we never lost power. The only time I can remember being without power was if one of the transformers at the top of the power poles blew ~ fun to watch when they blow up and then the pole catches on fire. Amazing how fast the firemen can come out of the fire station when that happens in front of their building.

NormM

NormM

I lived just outside the city on a dead-end gravel road when a transformer blew up on a pole across the street from my driveway. It took 10 days for them to get around to replacing that one.

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

The majority of the pictures / video's shown on the local news channels, showed poles that just broke in half, or split because of dry rot. Or transformers were pulled off the mounting brackets on the pole; because of fasteners not able to hold into the rotted pole.
The power Co. is supposed to test the pole / dryness / stability, and replace the ones that fail the test. N O T ! Never happened.

#############################

Today, Tina wanted stuffed peppers, and I mentioned the stuffed cabbages in the freezer. So....the stuffed cabbages it is. She forgot they were in the freezer.

bethk

bethk
Admin

LOVE when there's something in the freezer that will be just the meal I'm hungry for!

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

bethk wrote:LOVE when there's something in the freezer that will be just the meal I'm hungry for!

The kicker is.... She doesn't eat the pepper at all, and eats just the filling.
SOooooo! I said, Hows About the Stuffed cabbages. I could throw away the cabbage, and stuff the peppers with the filling?" She said,"No, I want stuffed cabbage now!" ....... March, 2018...Whats for Breakfast / Lunch / Brunch ?? 1450907917

bethk

bethk
Admin

Sounds good to me!

NormM

NormM

A long time ago (it seems) the power company for the other town where I lived said that they were not going to prune trees away from power lines any more and they expected customers to take care of it.  Like customers have the means to get 30 feet in the air to cut limbs and there were a lot of places where lines were in the country.  Of course a few years later when there was a huge ice storm power went out over a large area and it was a couple weeks before they got it back up.  Then they said they would have to raise rates to pay for it. I wanted to yell " They should have to spend the money they made by not doing required maintenance over all those years that led up to this disaster."  Another instance of what happens when they privatize utilities to a for profit outfit.

Last edited by NormM on Mon Mar 12, 2018 8:29 am; edited 1 time in total

bethk

bethk
Admin

I am amazed how fortunate we are in The Villages....MOST of our utilities are burried and (other than the worthless cable TV companies) have very few problems. We did lose power for a short period during the hurricane but nothing like the Northeast is experiencing with all their horrible storms.

Also, here, if we're without heat or a/c it's not usually life threatening....more an inconvenience.

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

This is the problem here. Poles rotted and over 60 years old. The limit for a wood utility pole.
The wires should have snapped; not the pole snap. This is a pole with a primary high voltage supply and no transformer. Cable and phone lies are under the power.

March, 2018...Whats for Breakfast / Lunch / Brunch ?? Pole_s10

NormM

NormM

Where I live now, the lines are all buried but not the lines outside the neighbor that lead to here. We have not had any extended power outages.. yet.

Niagara Visitor

We had problems on the farm with our phone lines.  Repairman used to say that the mice and chipmunks got to them underground, and the squirrels got to them above.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 2]

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum