Cooking Friends
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Cooking Friends

Friends sharing recipes, cooking techniques & menu ideas in a friendly atmosphere.

You are not connected. Please login or register

March is marching forward! What's on your menu for the coming spring?

+2
bethk
Cookin Lore
6 posters

Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 6]

Cookin Lore

New month is coming in with glorious sunshine in Niagara!

bethk and cookingirl like this post

bethk

bethk
Admin

I got a note from Ms. Tina today  (Please continue prayers because they're working!):

"Thank God he’s home. He’s doing good.

We went to the heart doctor because when he walks the therapist was confused because his heart rate drops. So we went to the heart doctor and they put a monitor on him to see what’s going on.

The visiting nurse comes twice a week. Therapy comes twice a week, I’m sure when he’s feeling better and gets on the computer. He will send you a text.

Thank you for all your prayers."

Last edited by bethk on Sun Mar 31, 2024 12:36 pm; edited 2 times in total

cookingirl and Imelda HL like this post

bethk

bethk
Admin

HE couldn't think of anything for me to fix for supper.....so I had to resort to the game of 'I-Spy' in the freezer. First protein I saw was a pound package of ground chuck.

That wasn't very helpful because then I had to think of what to make with it......

I opened the pantry door and the Taco Seasoning caught my eye ~ Okey Dokey! Tacos it is!

And I just happened to have ripe avocados in the refrigerator (where I keep them when they are too ripe to stay on the counter) so I could make some guacamole to go with my meal.

cookingirl likes this post

bethk

bethk
Admin

Even though it wasn't HIS idea, HE had no problem with my choice this evening.

HE chose to have soft tacos but I had my usual, a taco salad.

March is marching forward! What's on your menu for the coming spring? 03_01_20

Cookin Lore

I had a busy, fun day with friend who used to be my neighbour here in the condo. Our kitchens were back to back, so the closest neighbour that I've ever had. But, they moved to a place where they can get more personal help if they need it. We went to IKEA, I only spent $120 (approx) so that was good. Then to a fab. grocery store right next door, but again, I didn't spend much. I bought some candied salmon to take to my tappas group tonight. Then out for a nice lunch. Great day! Sending a picture of the salmon I took for tapas.

bethk

bethk
Admin

From Lore:

"Dinner Or tapas night in my building today. It was fun, lots of food. Well, it’s basically pot luck with appetizers. I made these potato bites, potato salad in a plowed out baked potato. They went well, a couple of people were happy to take some home. Nice evening."

March is marching forward! What's on your menu for the coming spring? 03_02_17

March is marching forward! What's on your menu for the coming spring? 02_25_26

March is marching forward! What's on your menu for the coming spring? 03_02_18

Cookin Lore

bethk wrote:From Lore:

"Dinner Or tapas night in my building today. It was fun, lots of food.  Well, it’s basically pot luck with appetizers.  I made these potato bites, potato salad in a plowed out baked potato. They went well, a couple of people were happy to take some home.  Nice evening."

March is marching forward! What's on your menu for the coming spring? 03_02_17

March is marching forward! What's on your menu for the coming spring? 02_25_26

March is marching forward! What's on your menu for the coming spring? 03_02_18

Sorry, pictures from two evenings. The first picture is some salmon bites, candied, from last night, and the potato bites the second picture, and then just a picture of our table at tapas night.

bethk

bethk
Admin

Today was Ladies' Lunch ~ we went to a newly renovated Italian restaurant the ladies wanted to try. Excellent food, and absolutely wonderful waitress who seemed to enjoy our table of old ladies as much as we appreciated her helpfulness.

I ended up with a calamari appetizer ~ WAY too much for me to eat but absolutely delicious. Everyone really enjoyed their lunch and I'm sure we'll have a return visit some other time.

Cookin Lore

I'm just back from dinner at friends' house. Ed made a wonderful Beef Wellington. Very large portion, but I managed to finish it. Great salad, fresh asparagus and carrots with a honey glaze. Don't think Ill need breakfast.

bethk

bethk
Admin

From Lore:

"Dinner Tonight at friends house. Wonderful beef Wellington, asparagus, carrots and a salad. Yumm!"

March is marching forward! What's on your menu for the coming spring? 03_02_19

Cookin Lore

At Linda and Ed's house, dinner is a combination effort. Ed did the wellingtons, glazed carrots, and, salad, Linda the asparagus and Hollandaise. Unfortunately, I distracted her, and the sauce was not quite perfect. So, we just said "It's just as we intended!"

Today I have 91 year old uncle coming for Lamb shanks. Fingers crossed. Don't know yet about vegetables. There might be a combination of oven roasted which are always good as "planned overs" to send home with him.

cookingirl

cookingirl

Still watching and reading.. all great food! Good to hear that Jimmy is home.

Still not feeling up to cooking.. man, this flu did a number on me--- or is me getting older?? I have been accomplishing one thing per day.. Today, I need to completely clean out the litter box. A big chore for me. I need to scrub it...

Yesterday was a 'stay in jammies' day, and cuddle with Geoffrey..it was also an "eat Junk day'..
I did lose a few pounds when I was sick. I would like to keep them off, if not more...

After Mass this morning, I went to the Italian Deli and picked up some really rare, fresh roast beef, some Boars Head Cheese, some coleslaw and a couple of tomatoes. I usually buy
Land O Lakes cheese, but the guy behind the counter, talked me into Boars Head.. really no difference in price. So that will be my supper, with some potato chips.. I will start with 1/2 sandwich on soft sourdough bread.

Kind of planning on having the cold cuts for a couple of days, then see what is in my freezer... I think next week, I will finally make my beef stew... Or I may make a small corned beef in the crock pot, (which I never use). I saw a recipe for crockpot maple syrup/mustard corned beef. It was served with mashed potatoes, boiled cabbage, and honey carrots. If I make it, I may have the mashed potatoes and plain carrots...

We will see... You know what they say about: "The best laid plans........."

bethk likes this post

bethk

bethk
Admin

I had some chicken thighs and decided to make them the way my mom made family-style fried chicken.....in a bit of butter in a cast iron skillet and finished in the oven. I had the last picking of green beans in the refrigerator and a yellow summer squash & a green zucchini in the vegetable drawer so they got turned into our favorite, vegetable spaghetti. I'm sure neither of us missed a potato!

March is marching forward! What's on your menu for the coming spring? 03_03_19

bethk

bethk
Admin

From Lore:

"Dinner Tonight. Lamb shanks and 91 year old uncle here to enjoy it. It was really good, I used a recipe with a Moroccan flavour. What is in the round dish, was only half. Lots of meat on the shanks. I packed up leftover of meat, potatoes, squash and veggies for him for tomorrow. Some for me also. Made tzatziki also. He likes that too."

March is marching forward! What's on your menu for the coming spring? 03_03_20

March is marching forward! What's on your menu for the coming spring? 03_03_21

bethk, cookingirl, Imelda HL and JanaAZ like this post

Cookin Lore

Thanks, Beth!  Uncle Ernie is quite adventurous in eating.  His late wife, Alma, had a sister in Australia, so the two of them went there several times, also stopping in Figi and  going to New Zealand.  They both enjoyed ethnic foods wherever they went, so it's fun to cook for him.  When the shanks were in the oven, I thought that the cinnamon was too strong, but it was good.  I had asked my son and DIL if they wanted to come, they said no thanks to lamb.  Silly kids, right?  Other son and DIL would have loved it, but they had previous plans.

bethk likes this post

bethk

bethk
Admin

Tonight is our last Neighborhood Pot Luck of the 'season' ~ PIZZA !!!

Our social club purchases the main dish and everyone brings something to go with it. I'm thinking we'll end up with a dozen 6-packs of beer! LOL

And by April 1st we will start seeing the 'snow birds' closing up their villas and heading back up north.

Cookin Lore

Sounds great! I am chair of our social committee in my building. I'd like to have something organized where we know that it is done at the same time/date every month. Will discuss it with my committee next meeting.

bethk likes this post

bethk

bethk
Admin

Lore, I'm grateful I only have to 'organize' 3 pot lucks a year.....January, February & March.

We used to ask for 'dues' ~ but since it's voluntary I thought it was better to just ask everyone to make a contribution of what they could. And surprisingly, we get more $$ that way! We usually have a balance of $500 or so in our treasury so we can afford to purchase a 'main dish' and tableware (paper plates, napkins & flatware that we wrap)

January was fried chicken from Publix grocery store deli ~ February we supplied the meat & ingredients for a neighbor to make sloppy joes & I grilled a bunch of hot dogs on my gas grill and then kept them hot in a small crock pot ~ and March (tonight) will be Pizza.

Everyone brings their beverage of choice (we're allowed to BYOB at the Recreation Centers as long as it's not 'for sale') and they also bring a dish to share. We always have lots of food and a good variety. By having a main dish theme they do a nice job of bringing something that goes 'with' the main. When in doubt, bring a dessert!!! I found that offering 'free' food was the easiest way to get people to participate and socialize with the neighbors.

Cookin Lore

I have thought to do something similar. Like have Beef on a bun brought in, and asking people to bring sides etc. We had a cinco de Mayo party last year, all food brought in from a Mexican grill. We charged $20. had some people complain about the price. And, I'm really tired of having to sell tickets. Think I'm just burned out and want someone else to take it over. The whole building has changed as far as who lives here. When I moved in, 10 years ago, I was one of the younger residents. Building was built in 1987 and there were a lot of the original residents here. Most of those have either died or moved, and it's a younger demographic living here now. Gotta think of something new.

bethk

bethk
Admin

It was 'I-Spy !' freezer game again today.

And, low & behold, something BESIDES chicken! Woo Hoo !!!

(Yes, I'm tired of chicken ~ Chicken ~ CHICKEN !!! )

But, my guess is that will be on tomorrow's menu.......... (( sigh ))

But tonight I made some braised pork steak ~ aka: pork shoulder. I like the flavor a lot.....HE doesn't care for the bits of fat ~ so I try to be sure HIS piece is well trimmed.

I air fried some parsnips & carrots and steamed asparagus in the microwave.

March is marching forward! What's on your menu for the coming spring? 03_05_18

Cookin Lore

It looks great. I ate way too much cheese and crackers for a late lunch, so am going to have a light dinner. Went to my fav. butcher shop yesterday to get some sausages. I put two in the oven with a very small purple sweet potato. New to us here.............. THey are labeled product of China. Very creamy inside and a deep burgundy/purple. I have friends here in the building from Uruguay who said they had them there, but it was only the skin that was coloured. These are definitely coloured inside. Do you have them in the US of A???" Will have a small salad to go along. Hope picture worthy! Later.

bethk

bethk
Admin

I've looked for the purple sweet potatoes here since the first time you had a picture and description of them ~ nothing around me.

But I'm definitely going to be looking when I go to Orlando and have more choices of places to shop.

bethk

bethk
Admin

From Lore:

"Dinner Tonight. In my opinion, picture worthy! Lol octoberfest sausage from my fav butcher shop. (I think owners are Dutch) a salad of lettuce, sliced shallot, parsley and a tomato. Yumm!

PS. To my previous mail. Forgot to mention the purple sweet potato. The experts say to “eat the rainbow” there are not many foods that are naturally purple!"

March is marching forward! What's on your menu for the coming spring? 03_05_19

bethk

bethk
Admin

No cooking tonight.

Jim wants to go to Texas Roadhouse.....sounds good to me!

bethk

bethk
Admin

I'm trying to get the freezers sorted and stuff that's been in there a long time.....used (or tossed ~ just don't 'snitch' to HIM).

So, tonight we're having hot dogs and sloppy joes ~ only two hot dogs to be found and an 8 oz. container of leftover sloppy joes ~ neither enough for a meal for the two of us so I'll combine them and roast the rest of the parsnips & carrots. I think there are some chips in the pantry....that's what will complete our 'sandwich supper'.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 6]

Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum