Cooking Friends
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Cooking Friends

Friends sharing recipes, cooking techniques & menu ideas in a friendly atmosphere.

You are not connected. Please login or register

December 2018 ..... What's Cooking?

+4
bethk
NormM
Niagara Visitor
UNCLE JIMMY
8 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Go down  Message [Page 4 of 9]

76December 2018 ..... What's Cooking? - Page 4 Empty Re: December 2018 ..... What's Cooking? Tue Dec 11, 2018 7:43 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

Clueless day ~ didn't know what I wanted, nor could I come up with a plan. So, I opened the freezer and the first thing I saw was the chili......OK, supper!

I made some Jiffy corn muffins to go with. Phew! I'm beat!

LOL

December 2018 ..... What's Cooking? - Page 4 12_11_10

77December 2018 ..... What's Cooking? - Page 4 Empty Re: December 2018 ..... What's Cooking? Tue Dec 11, 2018 8:42 pm

NormM

NormM

I made a soup with white beans and sausage.December 2018 ..... What's Cooking? - Page 4 20181211

http://r2j1cp@gmail.com

78December 2018 ..... What's Cooking? - Page 4 Empty Re: December 2018 ..... What's Cooking? Tue Dec 11, 2018 9:40 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

That looks like a "snow day" pot of goodness, Norm!

79December 2018 ..... What's Cooking? - Page 4 Empty Re: December 2018 ..... What's Cooking? Tue Dec 11, 2018 10:28 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Easy one today.....
Spaghetti and meatballs and sausage. DW pulled out frozen meatballs. Threw in some sauce and paste..... onion and garlic.
It better hurry up and get done! I'm starving, and starting to chew my tongue!

....... OK...Time l a p s e >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
It was good. I'm full now, but dessert awaits for later!

80December 2018 ..... What's Cooking? - Page 4 Empty Re: December 2018 ..... What's Cooking? Tue Dec 11, 2018 10:34 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

bethk wrote:Clueless day ~ didn't know what I wanted, nor could I come up with a plan.  So, I opened the freezer and the first thing I saw was the chili......OK, supper!

I made some Jiffy corn muffins to go with.  Phew! I'm beat!

LOL

December 2018 ..... What's Cooking? - Page 4 12_11_10

Beth..... Nice dark color chilli.

81December 2018 ..... What's Cooking? - Page 4 Empty Re: December 2018 ..... What's Cooking? Tue Dec 11, 2018 10:36 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

NormM wrote:I made a soup with white beans and sausage.December 2018 ..... What's Cooking? - Page 4 20181211

Beth was right Norm! Super sausage supper!

82December 2018 ..... What's Cooking? - Page 4 Empty Re: December 2018 ..... What's Cooking? Tue Dec 11, 2018 10:53 pm

NormM

NormM

Thanks Beth & Jimmy.

83December 2018 ..... What's Cooking? - Page 4 Empty Re: December 2018 ..... What's Cooking? Wed Dec 12, 2018 10:09 am

bethk

bethk
Admin

Imelda, I just got an ad from Fresh Market.....if there's one near you, this is a great special!

Premium Choice rib roasts for $7.99/lb. Great deal.

Other store ads had Premium Choice Standing Rib Roasts on sale for $5.99 to $6.99 per pound. Now is when to pick them up.

84December 2018 ..... What's Cooking? - Page 4 Empty Re: December 2018 ..... What's Cooking? Wed Dec 12, 2018 1:54 pm

Niagara Visitor

I opened my freezer, and out popped a container of sauce and meatballs!  Supper tonight.  One of my neighbours dropped it off a few days ago.  I've had her here for supper three or four times. I've caught  her when she's on her way home from a busy day as an operating room nurse, exhausted and said one day  that she was going to have a bowl of cereal for supper.  So, I feed her, and she has now reciprocated. Not necessary, but definitely nice.

85December 2018 ..... What's Cooking? - Page 4 Empty Re: December 2018 ..... What's Cooking? Wed Dec 12, 2018 1:54 pm

Niagara Visitor

I opened my freezer, and out popped a container of sauce and meatballs!  Supper tonight.  One of my neighbours dropped it off a few days ago.  I've had her here for supper three or four times. I've caught  her when she's on her way home from a busy day as an operating room nurse, exhausted and said one day  that she was going to have a bowl of cereal for supper.  So, I feed her, and she has now reciprocated. Not necessary, but definitely nice.

86December 2018 ..... What's Cooking? - Page 4 Empty Re: December 2018 ..... What's Cooking? Wed Dec 12, 2018 4:42 pm

Bugster2

Bugster2

Imelda, do you have a Ralph's, Von's or Albertson's? Ralph's has choice rib roasts for $4.77/lb and if you sign up for Just For You on Von's or Albertson's web site, they are offering choice roasts for $4.47/lb. They also have whole boneless New York roasts for $4.69/lb.

87December 2018 ..... What's Cooking? - Page 4 Empty Re: December 2018 ..... What's Cooking? Wed Dec 12, 2018 8:30 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

WOW! Great prices! They stockpile them for the holidays.

Supper tonight was a grilled rib eye, baked butternut squash and steamed broccoli.

December 2018 ..... What's Cooking? - Page 4 12_12_10

88December 2018 ..... What's Cooking? - Page 4 Empty Re: December 2018 ..... What's Cooking? Thu Dec 13, 2018 12:09 am

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

I made a fillet steak on the new indoor electric grill.
It was $49.00 on Amazon. Worked pretty good, and little smoke.
It's a Hamilton Beach. I had brussels sprouts that were leftover; twice heated.

89December 2018 ..... What's Cooking? - Page 4 Empty Re: December 2018 ..... What's Cooking? Thu Dec 13, 2018 12:10 am

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

I made a fillet steak on the new indoor electric grill.
It was $49.00 on Amazon. Worked pretty good, and little smoke.
It's a Hamilton Beach. I had brussels sprouts that were leftover; twice heated.

90December 2018 ..... What's Cooking? - Page 4 Empty Re: December 2018 ..... What's Cooking? Thu Dec 13, 2018 9:07 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

My friend has one of those indoor electric grills and loves it. She grills burgers for her husband and vegetables for herself. She likes that the clean up is so easy.

No supper here. We had a late lunch after his golf scrambles so no cooking needed.....

91December 2018 ..... What's Cooking? - Page 4 Empty Re: December 2018 ..... What's Cooking? Thu Dec 13, 2018 10:40 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

I made Philly cheesesteaks wit the works.......

DD is grilling her chicken on the new P O S ( as she claims ) indoor electric grill.
I paid $49 bucks on amazoo .....so what more can we ask for.
I used it last night to make a steak that DW picked me up at the PA Dutch market yesterday, and I HAD NOoooo Problem. It took a little more time, but it cooked the steak perfectly. Very little smoke.
It is easy to clean too!

92December 2018 ..... What's Cooking? - Page 4 Empty Re: December 2018 ..... What's Cooking? Fri Dec 14, 2018 3:48 pm

Imelda HL

Imelda HL

bethk wrote:Imelda, I just got an ad from Fresh Market.....if there's one near you, this is a great special!  

Premium Choice rib roasts for $7.99/lb.   Great deal.

Other store ads had Premium Choice Standing Rib Roasts on sale for $5.99 to $6.99 per pound. Now is when to pick them up.

If we buy it now, do we have to put it in the freezer? We don't have Fresh Market but I saw some store sell it at the same price

93December 2018 ..... What's Cooking? - Page 4 Empty Re: December 2018 ..... What's Cooking? Fri Dec 14, 2018 3:53 pm

Imelda HL

Imelda HL

Bugster2 wrote:Imelda, do you have a Ralph's, Von's or Albertson's? Ralph's has choice rib roasts for $4.77/lb and if you sign up for Just For You on Von's or Albertson's web site, they are offering choice roasts for $4.47/lb. They also have whole boneless New York roasts for $4.69/lb.

We have Safeway's, it's the same company with Von's or Albertson's, it's $5.77 for Choice Ribeye roast and $4.77 for New York roast, I'm thinking to get it later today

94December 2018 ..... What's Cooking? - Page 4 Empty Re: December 2018 ..... What's Cooking? Fri Dec 14, 2018 4:13 pm

Imelda HL

Imelda HL

USDA Choice Beef New York Holiday Roast, this is the lowest price of rib roast, I wonder if it will make a good roast? will it make a big different if I use Rib-eye roast?

95December 2018 ..... What's Cooking? - Page 4 Empty Re: December 2018 ..... What's Cooking? Fri Dec 14, 2018 4:52 pm

NormM

NormM

As far as I can tell, a roast is just a bigger cut of meat than a steak. A rib roast is the same as a rib eye steak, just a bigger piece of it. A New York roast is the same meat as a strip steak, just more of it. On a cow, the rib is under the ribs and the New York (or Kansas City) is between the ribs and the rump. When you cut them into individual serving sizes, they are steaks, when you cut them into chunks big enough to serve several, they are roasts.  A rib roast has a large and small end.  The large end is normally fattier than the small end and both roasts are fattier than the strip end.  Both are going to be more tender than a chuck roast (shoulder) or rump end.  The part of the cow that gets the most exercise are the tougher parts. Rib and loin are tender.

96December 2018 ..... What's Cooking? - Page 4 Empty Re: December 2018 ..... What's Cooking? Fri Dec 14, 2018 6:20 pm

Imelda HL

Imelda HL

NormM wrote:As far as I can tell, a roast is just a bigger cut of meat than a steak. A rib roast is the same as a rib eye steak, just a bigger piece of it. A New York roast is the same meat as a strip steak, just more of it. On a cow, the rib is under the ribs and the New York (or Kansas City) is between the ribs and the rump. When you cut them into individual serving sizes, they are steaks, when you cut them into chunks big enough to serve several, they are roasts.  A rib roast has a large and small end.  The large end is normally fattier than the small end and both roasts are fattier than the strip end.  Both are going to be more tender than a chuck roast (shoulder) or rump end.  The part of the cow that gets the most exercise are the tougher parts. Rib and loin are tender.

Thank you Norm, I understand more now the different of steak and roast, I'm not familiar of New York steak, I usually bought rib eye, I like fillet mignon too, but it cost way too much for our pocket, we got treated some times by my parent in-law, oh, they were so good

97December 2018 ..... What's Cooking? - Page 4 Empty Re: December 2018 ..... What's Cooking? Fri Dec 14, 2018 7:43 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

I asked Dane what he wanted for supper and he said, "Chicken". How?, I asked....."Fried"........

You all know how much I hate frying anything ~ but I came up with a compromise: Panko Fried Chicken Chunks ~ buttermilk & sambal oeleck chili paste marinade, pressed on the Panko & let it sit for 15 - 20 minutes so it was at room temperature and the panko had a chance to absorb the buttermilk & set.....Fried in about 1/2" of 375° peanut oil. My range kept it at a constant temperature and I didn't have any drop in temp when I added the chicken (most likely because it was at room temp and not cold from the refrigerator) and none of it burned or got browned too quickly.

I mashed the leftover butternut squash from last night and made some creamed corn. We're getting some really tasty 'home grown' corn at the stores right now. We're in the middle of our 'winter' growing season.

Speaking of growing season, Dane's snow peas are all in bloom and I've 'harvested' about half a dozen. I didn't take any pics because I just pulled them off the plants and ate them on the spot! LOL

December 2018 ..... What's Cooking? - Page 4 12_14_10

98December 2018 ..... What's Cooking? - Page 4 Empty Re: December 2018 ..... What's Cooking? Fri Dec 14, 2018 7:49 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

Imelda, no matter which beef roast you make for your holiday dinner, I'm sure it will be delicious. I know Dirk and his parents love having you cook for them.

If you buy it today, I would put it into the freezer ~ but I'm always crazy around the holidays and feeding a bunch of people. I don't want to take the chance that my expensive meat purchase might be 'old' tasting. I'd rather have it in the freezer and let it thaw for 3 or 4 days in the refrigerator than take the chance it's old when I bought it and it gets bad before I cook it.

But that's just my opinion ~ I'm sure others will disagree with me and that's OK. Everyone is entitled to have their own opinion.

(even if it's the WRONG one ~~~ Hahahahaahahaaaaa! That was a joke! Just a joke!!)

99December 2018 ..... What's Cooking? - Page 4 Empty Re: December 2018 ..... What's Cooking? Fri Dec 14, 2018 8:14 pm

Niagara Visitor

What's for dinner tonight?  Some potato salad........... I made it yesterday, some for me, some for my sis.  She came to pick hers up, and brought me some spanakopita that she made.  So, I had some of each, and then 'cause there wasn't enough protein, I just ate three peperettes. Not a single green thing in sight. LOL

And, some Niagara white to wash it down.  YUMMY!

100December 2018 ..... What's Cooking? - Page 4 Empty Re: December 2018 ..... What's Cooking? Fri Dec 14, 2018 10:47 pm

Bugster2

Bugster2

Imelda HL wrote:
Bugster2 wrote:Imelda, do you have a Ralph's, Von's or Albertson's? Ralph's has choice rib roasts for $4.77/lb and if you sign up for Just For You on Von's or Albertson's web site, they are offering choice roasts for $4.47/lb. They also have whole boneless New York roasts for $4.69/lb.

We have Safeway's, it's the same company with Von's or Albertson's, it's $5.77 for Choice Ribeye roast and $4.77 for New York roast, I'm thinking to get it later today

Freeze it for a week or just wait until the latest you can before buying it. I bought one and threw it in the freezer for a future meal.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 4 of 9]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum