Cooking Friends
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Cooking Friends

Friends sharing recipes, cooking techniques & menu ideas in a friendly atmosphere.

You are not connected. Please login or register

December 2018 ..... What's Cooking?

+4
bethk
NormM
Niagara Visitor
UNCLE JIMMY
8 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Go down  Message [Page 2 of 9]

26December 2018 ..... What's Cooking? - Page 2 Empty Re: December 2018 ..... What's Cooking? Wed Dec 05, 2018 9:49 pm

Bugster2

Bugster2

Very pretty!

Tonight is parmesan chicken tenders, potatoes Romanoff, string beans with herb-shallot butter.

This morning it was cold out here - 32 degrees. BRRR! Then it rained all day. I have been chilled to the bone and can't get warm, even under an elctric blanket. I think I will have a soak in the ttub tonight to get rid of the chill. It's weird because my skin is warm but I have this inside chill - sort of like when you get the flu - only I am not sick.

27December 2018 ..... What's Cooking? - Page 2 Empty Re: December 2018 ..... What's Cooking? Wed Dec 05, 2018 10:04 pm

Bugster2

Bugster2

This gave me a chuckle.

December 2018 ..... What's Cooking? - Page 2 Amazon

28December 2018 ..... What's Cooking? - Page 2 Empty Re: December 2018 ..... What's Cooking? Thu Dec 06, 2018 12:56 am

Niagara Visitor

Have you used induction before?  I used one at a friend's house in August.  They are amazing.  I'm sure you'll have fun with it.  I just got a new dishwasher.  I think the stove is more fun!

29December 2018 ..... What's Cooking? - Page 2 Empty Re: December 2018 ..... What's Cooking? Thu Dec 06, 2018 3:13 am

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Lots of luck with the new range. How many burners does it have?

30December 2018 ..... What's Cooking? - Page 2 Empty Re: December 2018 ..... What's Cooking? Thu Dec 06, 2018 7:53 am

bethk

bethk
Admin

It just has four burners. I've never cooked on one before. It's weird because there is nothing I need to cook for a few days. Last night the supper was in the oven and on the grill and today Dane's brother is coming to pick up my old stove to deliver to Cheryle so we'll be going out for a meal.

I'm sure there will be lots of cooking soon enough.

31December 2018 ..... What's Cooking? - Page 2 Empty Re: December 2018 ..... What's Cooking? Thu Dec 06, 2018 4:45 pm

Crybaby

Crybaby

bethk wrote:Thanks, I'm hoping it will be fun to play with.

We're still enjoying our "new" stove, which turned two in April, Beth. You will have a ball I'm sure!

32December 2018 ..... What's Cooking? - Page 2 Empty Re: December 2018 ..... What's Cooking? Thu Dec 06, 2018 4:48 pm

Crybaby

Crybaby

Bugster2 wrote:This gave me a chuckle.

I LOVED this, Debbie!

33December 2018 ..... What's Cooking? - Page 2 Empty Re: December 2018 ..... What's Cooking? Thu Dec 06, 2018 4:53 pm

Crybaby

Crybaby

bethk wrote:It just has four burners. I've never cooked on one before.  It's weird because there is nothing I need to cook for a few days. Last night the supper was in the oven and on the grill and today Dane's brother is coming to pick up my old stove to deliver to Cheryle so we'll be going out for a meal.

I'm sure there will be lots of cooking soon enough.

It's so nice you can give your old stove to Cheryle, Beth. Pots and pans, too. I'd hate getting rid of all my pots and pans I've collected over the years but I know you're good at that considering how you downsized before moving from Ohio to Florida.

Cheryl's lucky to have another brother to come and get it for her, too. Wish I had some people on hand to help me move furniture around!

34December 2018 ..... What's Cooking? - Page 2 Empty Re: December 2018 ..... What's Cooking? Thu Dec 06, 2018 8:41 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

We ended up at a local Greek restaurant tonight. Dane loves thei gyro platter with an overload of lamb/beef gyro meat, pita, tzatiki, lettuce, onion & tomato. He always thinks he'll bring half home but ends up eating it all. I got their fish & chips, a lightly battered haddock with fresh fries and house made slaw. I did bring a piece home, as well as a bunch of fries. He'll have it for lunch tomorrow.

35December 2018 ..... What's Cooking? - Page 2 Empty Re: December 2018 ..... What's Cooking? Thu Dec 06, 2018 8:51 pm

NormM

NormM

I made pork schnitzel for dinner tonight.  Charlie asked for mashed potatoes and chicken gravy instead of potato salad and i had a can of corn I wanted to use up.

December 2018 ..... What's Cooking? - Page 2 20181210

http://r2j1cp@gmail.com

36December 2018 ..... What's Cooking? - Page 2 Empty Re: December 2018 ..... What's Cooking? Thu Dec 06, 2018 10:03 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

The pot of chicken soup Tina mommy made was our supper.

I had two bowls.

Got a new Whirlpool top freezer 20 cu. ft. refrigerator for downstairs.
The old one ( Norge ) was working perfectly, but it was manual defrost.
It is over 55 years old. I guess we will put it at the curb with a sign "Working Free".....Then,last three weeks ago, we bought a new side by side fridge / freezer.
LG. Waiting for a on site service repair. The fridge is over cooling ( 31.5F ) and freezing product. I have the temp set at 46 F and the average temp in the fridge, is 33.7 F.
I am not a happy camper, and customer service Lady, said the rearrange the product in the space. I told her, I have a little more than two grocery bags of food to place in the fridge,.... Seriously....like talking to the wall.

37December 2018 ..... What's Cooking? - Page 2 Empty Re: December 2018 ..... What's Cooking? Thu Dec 06, 2018 10:07 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

That's a great idea....
BTW, Debbie, I just heard the weather channel say something about severe ?? floods / mud erosion slides?? ( Temecula )
Worried as all heck now.  

38December 2018 ..... What's Cooking? - Page 2 Empty Re: December 2018 ..... What's Cooking? Thu Dec 06, 2018 10:24 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

Oh, man, Jimmy. So sorry about your LG refrigerator giving you problems. I have the 33" - 3 door and I love it. Not a single problem in 5 years....knock on wood!

39December 2018 ..... What's Cooking? - Page 2 Empty Re: December 2018 ..... What's Cooking? Thu Dec 06, 2018 11:56 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

bethk wrote:Oh, man, Jimmy. So sorry about your LG refrigerator giving you problems. I have the 33" - 3 door and I love it. Not a single problem in 5 years....knock on wood!  

The way I look at it, is it happened, and when it gets fixed, that may be the final problem. We took the extra 3 years warranty just in case.
Nothing against LG, and I know they are a good product.

The refrigerator the kids got up 3 years ago for our anniversary, was a Samsung. It had a corrupted control panel that scrambled the operation when the user selected water to ice, or visa versa.
I researched it, and it is a Samsung problem, but they will not admit it or do a recall. The panel computer controller costs $879.00.

I loved the unit, and as a matter of fact, I asked my next door neighbor
if he wanted it for his garage. He didn't want to use the ice maker, and his old one, was leaking water inside. I covered the ice / water controller on the panel. The fridge works fine and holds the setpoints to the Tee! December 2018 ..... What's Cooking? - Page 2 2787578702

40December 2018 ..... What's Cooking? - Page 2 Empty Re: December 2018 ..... What's Cooking? Fri Dec 07, 2018 12:26 am

Bugster2

Bugster2

UNCLE JIMMY wrote:

That's a great idea....
BTW, Debbie, I just heard the weather channel say something about severe ?? floods / mud erosion slides?? ( Temecula )
Worried as all heck now.  

Haven't heard anything about Temecula flooding and we have had 3 alerts on our TV. It is in a burn area about 20 miles up the road and a few other areas. We live about two blocks from Temecula Creek and I took a walk there when the rain stopped for a while to have a look-see and there wasn't a drop to be seen. Where I used to live there are flash floods in the hills but my old house is safe. The problems are in the burn areas like Malibu or low lying beach areas. Flooding always happens when it rains. Today they shut down PCH in Malibu due to huge boulders that were ready to fall. The fire department went above the rocks with their hoses and blasted them until they fell. Beats fighting a fire. I think what you heard was Temescal Valley flooding. It is right in the same burn area that is having mud flows.

41December 2018 ..... What's Cooking? - Page 2 Empty Re: December 2018 ..... What's Cooking? Fri Dec 07, 2018 12:48 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

I have a small pork loin roast (like a big pork tenderloin ~ not as tender) thawed out. I decided to roast it with an orange juice/honey/cinnamon glaze like the pork roasts my mom use to make. I'm sure her's were probably sirloin roasts with more fat, but this one should be fine. Right now I have the roast marinating in an orange juice/soy/ginger mixture, hoping it will get some flavor before I dry it, season and sear. I'll roast it until just about done and then start brushing over the orange/honey glaze.

To make the glaze I had to juice some oranges ~ glad I picked up a couple bags when they were on sale a couple weeks ago. I just used the little hand juicer, the glass one with ridges to help ream out the juice. I ended up with a cup of juice and I wanted to simmer it down with the honey and a cinnamon stick.

So this was the first time to use my new stove.....I put the 8 oz. of cold juice in an 8" non-stick skillet and turned the burner to "P", which is the Power Boost, or high, setting. I kid you not ~ within in 15 seconds the orange juice was at a full rolling boil. GEESH! This is going to take some getting use to! I was shocked at the speed it came up to a boil. I told Dane about it and said, "Whatever you do, don't put something on to heat and walk away".

Now I have to make something else. Just to play around with it and see what it'll do. Expensive toy, but I'm worth it! LOL

42December 2018 ..... What's Cooking? - Page 2 Empty Re: December 2018 ..... What's Cooking? Fri Dec 07, 2018 1:23 pm

Bugster2

Bugster2

I got this on my feed this morning and still can't believe it. I think it only works on uncut loaves.

Is This Really the Best Way to Revive Stale Bread?
by SHEELA PRAKASH
(placeholder)
(Image credit: Emma Christensen)
As much as I love bread (and I do really love bread), I can never seem to get through a loaf fast enough. With just a household of two, we rarely make it through a whole loaf before it begins to harden and stale. So when I came across a tip for reviving stale bread on Bon Appétit’s website about a year ago, I was definitely intrigued. The only problem was that I was too skeptical to actually try it, as the tip seemed destined for failure.

The Original Tip
The reason I felt this way? The tips instructs you to basically douse the whole loaf in water. Yes, you run the stale loaf under running water. How can going from stale to soggy bread be an improvement? Then you stick the wet loaf in a warm oven for six to 12 minutes, depending on the size of the loaf. According to the tip, the water turns into steam, which rehydrates the loaf, resulting in one that’s like-new, with a crisp crust and moist interior.

Read the Original Tip: Revive Stale Bread With This Life-Changing Tip

The Testing Method
Since I first read it, it all seemed too good to be true. I couldn’t imagine how water could bring a stale loaf to life. Yet the more I thought about it, the more I realized I honestly didn’t have much to lose besides potentially ruining the loaf and having to toss it. I used half of a small sourdough loaf for the test. It had been sitting out on my counter in a paper bag for almost two days and was rock-hard.

I held the stale loaf under the kitchen faucet, with the cut-side facing down, as recommended in the tip so that the interior wouldn’t get too wet. I ran water over the loaf, making sure that the entire crust got wet. Then I placed it directly on the rack in my oven, which I preheated to 300°F. I set the timer for 12 minutes, but began checking the bread after six minutes. As soon as the bread hit the rack, it steamed and sizzled. Within a few minutes the warm, toasty smell of baking bread began to seep out of the oven and my skepticism began to turn to excitement (and hunger).

The Results
At six minutes, the crust had come back to life, but the interior was still damp. I had tried my best not to expose the interior to water, but a little got in no matter how hard I tried. After eight minutes, however, the loaf was perfect. The interior water had evaporated and what was left was a loaf that looked as good as, if not better than, when I had bought it. And even better? The smell of freshly baked bread was wafting through my kitchen.

Verdict: This is a mind-blowing tip.

Final Notes
There’s not much more to say than this trick is ingenious. I honestly regret being so dubious for so long. Usually, in the past, when my loaves have gone stale, I’ve tried to salvage them by turning them into croutons, breadcrumbs, or crostini. But now I have the option of turning them back into fresh bread if I want to.

43December 2018 ..... What's Cooking? - Page 2 Empty Re: December 2018 ..... What's Cooking? Fri Dec 07, 2018 3:09 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

I agree, Bugs, that it's not intended for that loaf of sliced Wonder Bread in the pantry.....

I've done this with un-cut dinner rolls ('hard rolls' bought from the bakery section) and it did make them so we could eat them....tasted much like the previous evening when they were fresh.

I've not done it with a baguette or loaf. Since one of my favorites is a nice challah, with the soft crust, I don't think I'd try that. I think it would be very good with any crusty bread, though. And come to think of it, maybe a sprinkle of sea salt on the damp crust before it goes into the oven would really make it good.....hmmmmmm......

44December 2018 ..... What's Cooking? - Page 2 Empty Re: December 2018 ..... What's Cooking? Fri Dec 07, 2018 6:52 pm

Bugster2

Bugster2

Next time I have an uncut stale loaf, I will give it a try.

I have, what I think, is a Meyer lemon tree in my yard that is producing fruit. I picked a few and made some lemon curd. I then tried a recipe for cream scones to go with it. I have never made scones before, so I am not sure what they are supposed to taste like. Years ago I bought a mix and that is as far as my experience goes with scones. I can't remember what the mix was like. These have a texture almost like a light biscuit and they were not very sweet. Turned out pretty though. The oven in this house is doing a good job. It is convection and when you punch in the temp, it automatically reduces the temp by 25 degrees. I haven't really had any desire to bake but so far the results are good. I wouldn't mind baking if someone would clean up. For some reason, I manage to get dirty dishes all over the place and dirty up my countertops. The clean-up wears me out. Sometimes Katie and Joe clean up after dinner but neither one has a clue as to how to load a dishwasher and neither one can unload because they don't know where things go and just can't learn. Drives me nuts to have to look all over the place for a missing tool, bowl or whatever.

45December 2018 ..... What's Cooking? - Page 2 Empty Re: December 2018 ..... What's Cooking? Fri Dec 07, 2018 11:17 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

I'll bet that soak yer bread with water, would work great on bagels.....

Beth, we had a induction cooker. It was burned when T had it too close to a pot she was boiling water in. It melted the control panel.
Like your cooktop, it boiled water to full rolling boil in seconds. So much for that machine.

Supper was leftovers. I had two stuffed cabbage Tina made 2 days ago. Also, for lunch I had a bowl of brussels sprouts. Pepper and lime crystals to imitate salt.

She had chicken salad that I made this afternoon.
Plus egg salad I made early this morning.

Breakfast, was an egg and cheese with bacon bits, on an toasted English muffin.
I ate too much today ( it seems ) and I feel puffed up; even though I ate no breads or desserts.

46December 2018 ..... What's Cooking? - Page 2 Empty Re: December 2018 ..... What's Cooking? Fri Dec 07, 2018 11:36 pm

Bugster2

Bugster2

It was the brussels sprouts giving you the bloats.

47December 2018 ..... What's Cooking? - Page 2 Empty Re: December 2018 ..... What's Cooking? Fri Dec 07, 2018 11:58 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

I ended up calling a couple neighbors to see if they wanted to come for supper.....easiest way I have of not ending up with leftovers!

The pork loin roast came out wonderful! I did watch a 'youtube' video on how to tie it to keep it nicely formed for roasting. I don't do it often enough to tie it without a review of a video ~ love it when a plan comes together with just a little computer assistance.

I just baked off some sweet potatoes to go with the pork. Then did some Penzey seasoned green beans and made some creamed corn from 4 ears of fresh corn I picked up at Aldi's the other day. Bill & Sharon love getting an invitation to dinner. They'll be here for Christmas, too......sealed the deal this evening!

I had an email from Fresh Market yesterday that they were discounting their prime beef 25% today. So I headed over and picked up my roast for Christmas....one of the best looking I've seen in a while. I asked the gal behind the counter for a 6 or 7 pounder and she picked the best looking one (not the one with a big hunk of fat running through it) and when she weighed it on the scale it was 6.25 lbs. Perfect. I think there will be 5 of us so that should be just right. And it ended up being just $69. Not a complaint from me on that price!

December 2018 ..... What's Cooking? - Page 2 12_07_10

I forgot to take a pic of dessert....I made creme brulee because I finally found a butane canister to fill my kitchen torch I bought a year ago. I think I baked it at too high a temp (it was really firm instead of being creamy) but it was tasty and the sugar was all crunchy on top. I just sliced a strawberry and dropped 3 blueberries on top to garnish. Sharon was in heaven! LOL Love it when my guests love to eat as much as they do!

48December 2018 ..... What's Cooking? - Page 2 Empty Re: December 2018 ..... What's Cooking? Sat Dec 08, 2018 12:54 am

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Bugster2 wrote:It was the brussels sprouts giving you the bloats.

Yikes! .... I think you are right Debbie...
I took three Beano tabs with em too! Guess it didn't work. December 2018 ..... What's Cooking? - Page 2 2876911673

49December 2018 ..... What's Cooking? - Page 2 Empty Re: December 2018 ..... What's Cooking? Sat Dec 08, 2018 2:27 am

Imelda HL

Imelda HL

bethk wrote:
I had an email from Fresh Market yesterday that they were discounting their prime beef 25% today.  So I headed over and picked up my roast for Christmas....one of the best looking I've seen in a while.  I asked the gal behind the counter for a 6 or 7 pounder and she picked the best looking one (not the one with a big hunk of fat running through it) and when she weighed it on the scale it was 6.25 lbs.  Perfect.  I think there will be 5 of us so that should be just right.  And it ended up being just $69.  Not a complaint from me on that price!

I'm planning to cook for Christmas Eve dinner, I'm thinking to roast some beef, prime rib is way too expensive for my budget, I will need 8 to 10 lbs, I saw some recipe using beef rib roast, I'm wondering if it is the same as Rib-eye? I love rib-eye but is there other cut of beef beside prime and rib-eye that good for holiday roast?

50December 2018 ..... What's Cooking? - Page 2 Empty Re: December 2018 ..... What's Cooking? Sat Dec 08, 2018 2:54 am

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Imelda HL wrote:
bethk wrote:
I had an email from Fresh Market yesterday that they were discounting their prime beef 25% today.  So I headed over and picked up my roast for Christmas....one of the best looking I've seen in a while.  I asked the gal behind the counter for a 6 or 7 pounder and she picked the best looking one (not the one with a big hunk of fat running through it) and when she weighed it on the scale it was 6.25 lbs.  Perfect.  I think there will be 5 of us so that should be just right.  And it ended up being just $69.  Not a complaint from me on that price!

I'm planning to cook for Christmas Eve dinner, I'm thinking to roast some beef, prime rib is way too expensive for my budget, I will need 8 to 10 lbs, I saw some recipe using beef rib roast, I'm wondering if it is the same as Rib-eye? I love rib-eye but is there other cut of beef beside prime and rib-eye that good for holiday roast?

Hi Imelda. It's Me! ... Jimmy. bounce
Good to hear from you. You are so busy girl !
When Tina wakes up Sleep , I will ask her about the meat choices for roasting. Something less costly ok? ....... She knows all the meat cuts from working in the supermarket meat rooms for years.

I am still up. I am cooking smashed home fries potatoes and onions for Tina in the morning. She is working at the church soup kitchen. I want her to have her favorite of fried potatoes before she goes.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 2 of 9]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum