Cooking Friends
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Cooking Friends

Friends sharing recipes, cooking techniques & menu ideas in a friendly atmosphere.

You are not connected. Please login or register

February 2018; Whats for Dinner??

+2
bethk
UNCLE JIMMY
6 posters

Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 7]

1February 2018; Whats for Dinner?? Empty February 2018; Whats for Dinner?? Fri Feb 02, 2018 12:20 am

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Leftovers. Tina will be at the St. Barnabas hospital in Livingston to check on her uncle Elmer. She had to take him to the ER yesterday.
He is bleeding rectally.
They are doing tests, and giving him IV with something to stop the bleeding. Always something.

I'm thinking of just a few chili dogs. I just don't feel like cooking for one.

2February 2018; Whats for Dinner?? Empty Re: February 2018; Whats for Dinner?? Fri Feb 02, 2018 10:53 am

bethk

bethk
Admin

Prayers for Uncle Elmer, Tina & you, Jimmy.

Hopefully the doctors will find the cause and it will be a minor event.

And it's OK to just not eat much for a day or two ~ makes you find a more special meal to enjoy when things settle down.

3February 2018; Whats for Dinner?? Empty Re: February 2018; Whats for Dinner?? Fri Feb 02, 2018 11:10 am

cookingirl

cookingirl

Again, repeating what Beth just said: Prayers for Uncle Elmo....((Hugs))

4February 2018; Whats for Dinner?? Empty Re: February 2018; Whats for Dinner?? Fri Feb 02, 2018 11:29 am

bethk

bethk
Admin

We got back from Atlanta about 8 p.m. last night.....somehow a 6 hour trip wasn't as long a few years ago.

But we had a fun time with Lyn's sister. We went to a couple Farmers' Markets, actually more like International Markets, and walked the aisles marveling at the variety of products we had no idea about. One had a huge array of fresh fruits and vegetables. Anyone here use Jack Fruit? They had huge cases of them! And if I lived closer I would surely have started trying the different things just to see what they tasted like.

We didn't take a cooler with us or I'm sure I would have picked up some beef bones and soup shanks, etc. But I knew my freezers were full so that would have been a problem even when I got it home. The meat department was like an old fashioned butcher's shop ~ employees cutting and packaging there in the store. The beef knuckle bones were just like I remember buying years ago for soup stock......and the short ribs were the most amazing I've seen ~ and reasonable in price! It always irritates me that if I want something like skirt steak here, it's $15/lb. The market in Atlanta had well trimmed and fresh looking skirt steak for $5/lb.

They also had a Sprouts Market that we walked through.....have heard about it out West and had never had an opportunity to shop there. It kind of reminded me of a Trader Joes, a smaller grocery store with quality product.

We went to a shopping complex in a converted warehouse building ~ the food court was fabulous. They had all different ethnic restaurants. Lyn and Sandi decided on a seafood place for Lobster Bisque and salads and I went to a Raman Bar and had a wonderful Raman Noodle Soup bowl and some freshly made steamed dumplings.

And, as usual, I forgot to take a pic until AFTER I had added the broth to my bowl ~ the fresh made raman noodles were in the bowl, topped with thinly sliced wood ear mushrooms, bamboo shoots, a soft boiled egg, green onions and sliced pork. In a separate container was a very rich and flavorful pork based 'broth', tasted and looked like it had miso in it, that you were to pour over the noodle fixin's. It was really, really flavorful. The dumplings, which I didn't remember to take a pic of at all were extremely tender and flavorful ~ came with a soy based dipping sauce. I'd love to return and try some of the other offerings. The 'kitchen' was open to view and seeing trays of fresh ramen noodles and huge vats of simmering stock with all the bones stuffed in was so interesting.

February 2018; Whats for Dinner?? 01_31_10

5February 2018; Whats for Dinner?? Empty Re: February 2018; Whats for Dinner?? Fri Feb 02, 2018 11:53 am

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

bethk wrote:Prayers for Uncle Elmer, Tina & you, Jimmy.

Hopefully the doctors will find the cause and it will be a minor event.

And it's OK to just not eat much for a day or two ~ makes you find a more special meal to enjoy when things settle down.

Thanks Beth. Tina just left for the hospital, and she requested Meat Loaf for supper tonight! .... That's rewarding ! Very Happy

6February 2018; Whats for Dinner?? Empty Re: February 2018; Whats for Dinner?? Fri Feb 02, 2018 12:00 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

cookingirl wrote:Again, repeating what Beth just said: Prayers for Uncle Elmo....((Hugs))

Thanks Cindy. He is doing fine. Still has the main issue, but less.
They are waiting for his blood count to come from the lab to see if he needs a unit of blood.

I just feel so bad for "T" ..... She is always on the run.

7February 2018; Whats for Dinner?? Empty Re: February 2018; Whats for Dinner?? Fri Feb 02, 2018 3:41 pm

Bugster2

Bugster2

I hope uncle Elmo is doing better. I hope it is an easy fix.

I am going to try a new recipe for crab cakes tonight with a citrus sauce.

8February 2018; Whats for Dinner?? Empty Re: February 2018; Whats for Dinner?? Fri Feb 02, 2018 7:57 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

I roast a big ole chicken breast seasoned with whatever I pulled from the pantry, did some braised potatoes & onions, ala Ms. Tina, and cooked the beet greens from the two bunches of red & golden beets I bought at the Farmers' Market in Atlanta. It all tasted pretty good.

February 2018; Whats for Dinner?? 02_02_10

9February 2018; Whats for Dinner?? Empty Re: February 2018; Whats for Dinner?? Sat Feb 03, 2018 1:21 am

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Bugster2 wrote:I hope uncle Elmo is doing better. I hope it is an easy fix.

I am going to try a new recipe for crab cakes tonight with a citrus sauce.

Smile Thanks Deb. They put him on solid food today; over the weekend will tell them the next approach. I don't know why they won't scope him. ??
Crab cakes sound like they would be good.

10February 2018; Whats for Dinner?? Empty Re: February 2018; Whats for Dinner?? Sat Feb 03, 2018 1:41 am

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

bethk wrote:I roast a big ole chicken breast seasoned with whatever I pulled from the pantry, did some braised potatoes & onions, ala Ms. Tina, and cooked the beet greens from the two bunches of red & golden beets I bought at the Farmers' Market in Atlanta.  It all tasted pretty good.

February 2018; Whats for Dinner?? 02_02_10

It all looks so good Beth. I can taste the potatoes like that. T makes them for us, but our kids will not even taste them.

My meatloaf came out super good. I caramelized the onions first before I added them to the mix. It really makes a difference in taste instead of just raw onion.

We are really in appetite heaven here.
We had an ice storm. One of those days where the car doors gaskets froze. Poor T couldn't get into the car this morning without hot water.
It's now 14 degrees.
I don't blame the groundhog for jumping back into his den. LOL

11February 2018; Whats for Dinner?? Empty Re: February 2018; Whats for Dinner?? Sat Feb 03, 2018 10:13 am

bethk

bethk
Admin

UNCLE JIMMY wrote:

It all looks so good Beth. I can taste the potatoes like that. T makes them for us, but our kids will not even taste them.

My meatloaf came out super good. I caramelized the onions first before I added them to the mix.  It really makes a difference in taste instead of just raw onion.

We had an ice storm. One of those days where the car doors gaskets froze. Poor T couldn't get into the car this morning without hot water.
It's now 14 degrees.

Thanks, Jimmy ~ and those potatoes were excellent!  I had a red onion to use so that's why it looks kinda strange in the pic.  I'm sure glad Tina shared her potato cooking method for the braised potatoes and onions.  Once in a while I'll add a cubanelle pepper to the mix, but that's usually in grilling season.

I no longer add raw veg to my meatloaf mix. I cook it all and let it cool before I add it to the meat, bread crumbs & egg.

I remember one time my mom wanted to try a new recipe for meatloaf she saw in a magazine. It had a whole carrot in the middle of the meat and when you sliced it you got a little 'carrot coin' shining up at you. Naturally she didn't read the recipe, just looked at the pic, and ended up putting a raw carrot in the middle of that meatloaf mix. Yup, you got that right ~ ~ brick hard carrot in the middle of the meatloaf. It could have been used as a weapon if she had taken it to an inmate at the County Jail......Hahahahaha!

I don't miss those frigid temperatures in the least.  I'm much happier being able to walk outside to check out the plants with my cup of coffee in the morning instead of planning how many minutes it will take the car to heat up so the windows can be scraped clear.  You guys can have it!  LOL

12February 2018; Whats for Dinner?? Empty Re: February 2018; Whats for Dinner?? Sat Feb 03, 2018 11:40 am

Niagara Visitor

Frigid temperatures here, that's for sure. I am spoiled because I have indoor parking, and an indoor car wash. No scraping of windows, no excuse for having a dirty car!

I finally had the small meatloaf that had been sitting in my fridge. Yummy also. Tonight I am taking my sister for an MRI (some hospitals are doing these types of things 24/7 now.) So, I think I'll cook for lunch. I have some chicken breast on the freezer, easy, fast to do.

13February 2018; Whats for Dinner?? Empty Re: February 2018; Whats for Dinner?? Sat Feb 03, 2018 11:51 am

Bugster2

Bugster2

I couldn't live where it gets that cold and snows. For one thing I can't drive in the snow and would probably kill myself and someone else trying to do so. I saw a video of a man going to work. He walked outside, started to put on his suit jacket, and when he reached the driveway he stepped on a patch of black ice. It was quite a dance and he ended up tumbling head over heels on his front lawn. Me? I would break every bone in my body. Right now it has been in the high 70's and low 80's. Very nice. My trumpet vine is starting to bloom.
I don't think I will cook tonight. Joe and I are driving south to checkout three cities: Oceanside, Fallbrook and Temecula. Oceanside has patches of gangs but it is about the last affordable beach city around. It is home of the Camp Pendleton marine base so you have soldiers and some are not the highest quality. Then you have the Hispanics which have the gangs. Their families pick the avocados and grapes in the area. There are also some Crips and a Samoan gang. We are going to have a look-see. Next we are looking at Fallbrook which is avocado ranches and gets the fog that rolls in from the ocean. Finally it will be Temecula which is So Cal's wine country. This will be an interesting day. We have seen a couple of homes that we love but I am sure they will be sold by the time we sell ours.

The problem we have is Katie. The house has 3 bedrooms, two baths. One of the bedrooms is our TV watching room and I sleep on the couch in there 'cause I can't stand to sleep in the same room with Joe 'cause of his snoring and twitching. We could turn the TV room back into a bedroom for me but then the only place we have to watch TV is the living room which is not comfortable for watching TV. I can't seem to come up with a couch sectional so we could both stretch out. We are old farts and usually fall asleep while watching TV.
The other problem is closet space. There is a small walk-in in the master, Katie has a closet that is about 11 feet long. There is no closet in the third bedroom. It has a built in to hold the TV, a small broom closet and Katie has filled her tub/shower with clothing. I don't have enough room for my things so our closet is cramped.
Another problem is an outside shed full of Katie's things from her old place. She refuses to part with them. That side of the yard looks like a junkyard.
Our house has a lot of repairs that need to be done. The first is a new roof for $24,000. The flooring needs to be replaced, The kitchen needs updating, The backyard needs landscaping and it needs a new fence. The only way we can afford $100,000 is a reverse mortgage and still there just isn't enough room for me. I need space. I feel claustrophobic when a house is too full. Joe and Katie and I really don't want to move but I will be miserable unless I can have some turn around space. I would like a home that is about 3000sqft. What would be ideal is granny quarters for Katie. We also have to have a 3 car garage. We have a nice one now. Another room for an office and Joe's workout equipment would be nice.
I would love some feedback or suggestions.

14February 2018; Whats for Dinner?? Empty Re: February 2018; Whats for Dinner?? Sat Feb 03, 2018 1:03 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

bethk wrote:
UNCLE JIMMY wrote:

My meatloaf came out super good. I caramelized the onions first before I added them to the mix.  It really makes a difference in taste instead of just raw onion.

It's now 14 degrees.

I no longer add raw veg to my meatloaf mix.  I cook it all and let it cool before I add it to the meat, bread crumbs & egg.  

I remember one time my mom wanted to try a new recipe for meatloaf she saw in a magazine.  It had a whole carrot in the middle of the meat and when you sliced it you got a little 'carrot coin' shining up at you.  Naturally she didn't read the recipe, just looked at the pic, and ended up putting a raw carrot in the middle of that meatloaf mix.  Yup, you got that right ~ ~ brick hard carrot in the middle of the meatloaf.  It could have been used as a weapon if she had taken it to an inmate at the County Jail......Hahahahaha!

My mom used to put whole hard boiled eggs in the center of the meatloaf. My brother and I hated that! She said, "It makes the slices nice and pretty!"..... Yuck! affraid

15February 2018; Whats for Dinner?? Empty Re: February 2018; Whats for Dinner?? Sat Feb 03, 2018 1:37 pm

Bugster2

Bugster2

I don't think the egg is bad. When I make my country pate, I put whole chicken livers down the center.

16February 2018; Whats for Dinner?? Empty Re: February 2018; Whats for Dinner?? Sat Feb 03, 2018 4:52 pm

Niagara Visitor

• Bugster2

I don't think the egg is bad. When I make my country pate, I put whole chicken livers down the center.

Country pate?  With chicken livers in the middle?  That sounds interesting.  Could you post a recipe or tell me where to find it?  I love chicken livers............ well, basically any liver.

17February 2018; Whats for Dinner?? Empty Re: February 2018; Whats for Dinner?? Sat Feb 03, 2018 7:17 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

It was Cuban Dinner Night!

Picadillo on Yellow Rice with Tostones.......Not sure how 'authentic' my meal is as I've never had it other than in my kitchen, but we both enjoyed it. My rice got a little more 'orange' than 'yellow' ~ first time to use the Hispanic Amarillo Yellow Coloring......I think I shook in too much. But, hey, it has nothing but coloring so it's not as if I over seasoned the rice! LOL

The tostones are a favorite of mine. Green plantains cut into chunks and fried in about 1/2" of neutral oil (I used grape seed oil), turned over after about 1 minute. Then they get removed and smashed flat and fried a second time until crispy. Seasoned with salt when they came out of the oil.

February 2018; Whats for Dinner?? 02_03_10

18February 2018; Whats for Dinner?? Empty Re: February 2018; Whats for Dinner?? Sat Feb 03, 2018 7:25 pm

NormM

NormM

The person who posted this recipe made it sound really good so I gave it a try. It took all afternoon to make and I didn't like it nearly as much as the recipe I usually use.

February 2018; Whats for Dinner?? 20180210

http://r2j1cp@gmail.com

19February 2018; Whats for Dinner?? Empty Re: February 2018; Whats for Dinner?? Sat Feb 03, 2018 8:21 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

That'll teach you to never listen to a word-smith......LOL

However, that said, it does look pretty tasty to me!

20February 2018; Whats for Dinner?? Empty Re: February 2018; Whats for Dinner?? Sat Feb 03, 2018 8:26 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

NormM wrote:The person who posted this recipe made it sound really good so I gave it a try. It took all afternoon to make and I didn't like it nearly as much as the recipe I usually use.

February 2018; Whats for Dinner?? 20180210

Is it Egg Plant Parm ? or Lasagna?...

21February 2018; Whats for Dinner?? Empty Re: February 2018; Whats for Dinner?? Sat Feb 03, 2018 8:43 pm

NormM

NormM

You're right Beth.  Jimmy, it is lasagne with meatballs, sweet and hot sausages. No eggplant. Charlie liked it. He said mine was better but lasagne is like pizza, even the bad ones are good.

http://r2j1cp@gmail.com

22February 2018; Whats for Dinner?? Empty Re: February 2018; Whats for Dinner?? Sat Feb 03, 2018 9:50 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

NormM wrote:You're right Beth.  Jimmy, it is lasagne with meatballs, sweet and hot sausages. No eggplant. Charlie liked it. He said mine was better but lasagne is like pizza, even the bad ones are good.

You are right about the pizza thing. That is so funny!

23February 2018; Whats for Dinner?? Empty Re: February 2018; Whats for Dinner?? Sat Feb 03, 2018 11:33 pm

Niagara Visitor

Or steak................. even an overcooked one is better than no steak!

24February 2018; Whats for Dinner?? Empty Re: February 2018; Whats for Dinner?? Sun Feb 04, 2018 12:17 am

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Tina made a pot of beef barley soup. Delicious.
I also had three breaded steaks that were leftover from the other day. I cut them in small strips. I ate them with no guilt, because they were little. I know, who am I fooling?
It was fun though!

DIL dropped off rice krispy treats for dessert.

25February 2018; Whats for Dinner?? Empty Re: February 2018; Whats for Dinner?? Sun Feb 04, 2018 3:37 pm

Niagara Visitor

Devilled eggs on the menu again for the fish fry tonight at son's house.  Yes, this time Lake Erie perch.  However, not fresh, they were a summer catch, now out of his freezer.  Yummy!

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 7]

Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum