Cooking Friends
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Cooking Friends

Friends sharing recipes, cooking techniques & menu ideas in a friendly atmosphere.

You are not connected. Please login or register

December 2018 ..... What's Cooking?

+4
bethk
NormM
Niagara Visitor
UNCLE JIMMY
8 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Go down  Message [Page 8 of 9]

176December 2018 ..... What's Cooking? - Page 8 Empty Re: December 2018 ..... What's Cooking? Thu Dec 27, 2018 3:13 pm

NormM

NormM

My sister gave us some Omaha steaks. While at the store looking for something to go with them, I saw this.  We like bok choy and it made me laugh so I got some.December 2018 ..... What's Cooking? - Page 8 20181218

http://r2j1cp@gmail.com

177December 2018 ..... What's Cooking? - Page 8 Empty Re: December 2018 ..... What's Cooking? Thu Dec 27, 2018 4:52 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

I've never had my car inspected since we moved here in 2012.....

178December 2018 ..... What's Cooking? - Page 8 Empty Re: December 2018 ..... What's Cooking? Thu Dec 27, 2018 8:23 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

Went out for a late lunch so there's no cooking tonight.....

179December 2018 ..... What's Cooking? - Page 8 Empty Re: December 2018 ..... What's Cooking? Thu Dec 27, 2018 9:20 pm

Niagara Visitor

Feeling lousy with a cold, cough, and I think still the after effects of a shingles vaccine, so no cooking here. I just had two boiled eggs...................... And I'm drinking mint tea.  Now that is a real sign that I am sick. LOL

180December 2018 ..... What's Cooking? - Page 8 Empty Re: December 2018 ..... What's Cooking? Thu Dec 27, 2018 10:44 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

Oh, dear.....I hope it's just a temporary setback. Maybe you'll feel more like yourself tomorrow after a good night's sleep.

181December 2018 ..... What's Cooking? - Page 8 Empty Re: December 2018 ..... What's Cooking? Thu Dec 27, 2018 11:34 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Niagara Visitor wrote:Feeling lousy with a cold, cough, and I think still the after effects of a shingles vaccine, so no cooking here. I just had two boiled eggs...................... And I'm drinking mint tea.  Now that is a real sign that I am sick. LOL

Feel better Lore.

Tina has her script for the shingles shot, but she is scared to suffer the side effects.

182December 2018 ..... What's Cooking? - Page 8 Empty Re: December 2018 ..... What's Cooking? Fri Dec 28, 2018 3:37 am

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

It was a food time out today. Time out to recoup and have just a one item meal such as the Lasagna we had tonight.
The kids came over, and we had that and bread to be dipped into dishes of good Olive oil direct from Italy.

Sunday, will be the turkey breast ( found another one in the freezer ).
The ham..... and Kielbasi if I can find it in the freezer.

183December 2018 ..... What's Cooking? - Page 8 Empty Re: December 2018 ..... What's Cooking? Fri Dec 28, 2018 11:03 am

Niagara Visitor

UNCLE JIMMY wrote:
Niagara Visitor wrote:Feeling lousy with a cold, cough, and I think still the after effects of a shingles vaccine, so no cooking here. I just had two boiled eggs...................... And I'm drinking mint tea.  Now that is a real sign that I am sick. LOL

Feel better Lore.

Tina has her script for the shingles shot, but she is scared to suffer the side effects.
I feel fine today.  Slept like a log, over 9 hours last night.  Only one bathroom visit. LOL

184December 2018 ..... What's Cooking? - Page 8 Empty Re: December 2018 ..... What's Cooking? Fri Dec 28, 2018 2:51 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

NormM wrote:My sister gave us some Omaha steaks. While at the store looking for something to go with them, I saw this.  We like bok choy and it made me laugh so I got some.

Have you used the baby bok choy leaves, Norm? I would think they would be great in a salad or a stir fry!

Of course, you know me........I LIKE kale, but even I thought the labeling was cute. LOL

185December 2018 ..... What's Cooking? - Page 8 Empty Re: December 2018 ..... What's Cooking? Fri Dec 28, 2018 2:57 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

Tonight is going to be hot roast beef sandwiches. I thinly sliced and trimmed the leftover prime rib and all the trimmings and two bones are simmering away in a pot to get every last bit of flavor from them. I first rendered off the fat so there was something in the pot to saute some veg in. Then I added a bit of tomato paste (I store what's left from opened cans in plastic in the freezer so it's easy to break off a bit to use for just this sort of need). I added the opened boxes of stock I had in the refrigerator ~ beef and chicken ~ and the bit of cooking liquid I salvaged off the roaster, although there really wasn't much since I did the low heat method when cooking the roast. I added a couple bay leaves, some thyme & parsley from the patio pots.....and I'll let it simmer all afternoon until, hopefully, the bones fall apart. Then I'll strain and pour into my de-fatting measure and use to thicken my gravy roux. I'm thinking it's going to be a fabulous 'leftover' meal!

186December 2018 ..... What's Cooking? - Page 8 Empty Re: December 2018 ..... What's Cooking? Fri Dec 28, 2018 3:03 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

Niagara Visitor wrote:
I feel fine today.  Slept like a log, over 9 hours last night.  Only one bathroom visit. LOL

Glad the 'bug' decided to leave! I just read something interesting on Facebook....OK, so I know not everything is 'for real' but this was a tip that a lot of people chimed in on to say they found it to work. The gist of it was if you have an irritating cough that just won't stop, drink 1 Tbsp. of canned peach syrup every 15 minutes for an hour to soothe your throat and the cough doesn't seem to be as bad. It kind of makes sense and it's not a drug so it would be worth keeping a can of peaches in the pantry 'just-in-case'.

Other people swear by drinking pineapple juice, whether fresh or canned.

I've not tried either but it couldn't hurt to keep it in the back of your mind for those times when that irritating cough keeps you awake.

187December 2018 ..... What's Cooking? - Page 8 Empty Re: December 2018 ..... What's Cooking? Fri Dec 28, 2018 4:43 pm

NormM

NormM

Beth, the package had just the leaves. I cooked it like spinach.  I thought about using it in a salad but if I had, Charlie wouldn't eat it.

http://r2j1cp@gmail.com

188December 2018 ..... What's Cooking? - Page 8 Empty Re: December 2018 ..... What's Cooking? Fri Dec 28, 2018 7:28 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

Hot beef sandwiches (I got a loaf of challah ~ yum!) and cole slaw......I just used half a package of the angel hair cut cabbage. I'm tired of tossing 2/3 of a head of cabbage, and I really like the thin cut of the packaged stuff. I used some of the poppyseed dressing I made for my Christmas Spinach Strawberry salad.

December 2018 ..... What's Cooking? - Page 8 12_28_10

189December 2018 ..... What's Cooking? - Page 8 Empty Re: December 2018 ..... What's Cooking? Fri Dec 28, 2018 10:03 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Chi Chi Chikun Soup with egg noodles for me.
Tina had spaghetti with tuna and bread crumbs.
The soup was filling, and now, My stomach is empty and growling for fooood.

190December 2018 ..... What's Cooking? - Page 8 Empty Re: December 2018 ..... What's Cooking? Fri Dec 28, 2018 11:21 pm

Niagara Visitor

I went to my sister's today.  Her daughter SIL, 2 adult sons (one with a gorgeous Chinese girlfriend) and I had dinner.  BIL cooked one of his Trinidadian dishes, chicken potatoes, rice, peas with lots of curry.  Delish.  Sis had made spanakopita, cause her son doesn't eat meat, but he didn't come.  Sick.  I made chicken wings the way my mom always made them.  Crispy, baked in the oven, and once the wings were out of the pan, I put some plain, cooked rice in the pan to soak up all the crispy bits and drippings in the pan. Everyone remembered that Oma made wings before Buffalo knew that chickens had wings. 

I didn't stay for dessert, there was yummy carrot cake.  I'm still coughing, and sis is going through chemo, so her immune system is probably compromised

191December 2018 ..... What's Cooking? - Page 8 Empty Re: December 2018 ..... What's Cooking? Sat Dec 29, 2018 1:16 am

Bugster2

Bugster2

I usually use baby bok choy in an asian soup with potstickers.

192December 2018 ..... What's Cooking? - Page 8 Empty Re: December 2018 ..... What's Cooking? Sat Dec 29, 2018 11:20 am

Niagara Visitor

Snow coming down with a vengeance this morning.  Son Michael and DIL Amy are at her parents' in SD where they have lots of it. Other son called yesterday "Would you like to come to a fish fry tomorrow night?"   I told him that I'd see how I was feeling................ he laughed and said "Potato salad,?" So, there's an ulterior reason for inviting me! Nice to know they still like it, right?

193December 2018 ..... What's Cooking? - Page 8 Empty Re: December 2018 ..... What's Cooking? Sat Dec 29, 2018 11:31 am

Bugster2

Bugster2

It is a bit chilly here in Temecula this morning - 23 degrees. Lake Forest never got this cold. It is 57 in the house. Later on I will turn on the heat for an hour to take off the chill. I am currently wrapped up in an electric blanket watching the news. Last night was a bag of PF Chang's honey chicken with egg roll and fried rice. Maybe burgers tonight.

194December 2018 ..... What's Cooking? - Page 8 Empty Re: December 2018 ..... What's Cooking? Sat Dec 29, 2018 9:04 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

I figured something with ground beef would be good.....ended up with a Cottage Pie.

And, of course, I made too much of the filling so I now have one to put into the already too full freezer....((sigh))

December 2018 ..... What's Cooking? - Page 8 12_29_10

December 2018 ..... What's Cooking? - Page 8 12_29_11

195December 2018 ..... What's Cooking? - Page 8 Empty Re: December 2018 ..... What's Cooking? Sun Dec 30, 2018 2:21 am

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Spuh Getty tonight for supper.
Tomorrow will be a final Christmas meal. The turkey breast was given to us by my cousin, and it was gray looking. Too old.... So it was flung into the woods.

DD ran to the store, and paid ((GULP ))......$2.98 a lb. for a fresh 7 lb. breast.

I just covered, and simmered the smoked ham in a water bath for 2 and 1/2 to 3 hours.
We always boil the ham to boil out some of the the salt, and preservatives.

196December 2018 ..... What's Cooking? - Page 8 Empty Re: December 2018 ..... What's Cooking? Sun Dec 30, 2018 12:34 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

I'm getting hungry for a ham dinner. Only problem is I want a big hunk-O-ham and even with company it's too much. I have trouble finding little hams, the boneless ones, that aren't sliced. I really don't like the presliced ones....too thin and they always dry out since you can't let them sit and rest....all the juices flow out.

197December 2018 ..... What's Cooking? - Page 8 Empty Re: December 2018 ..... What's Cooking? Sun Dec 30, 2018 2:38 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

Hey, Jimmy, when you simmer your ham do you save the liquid to use for bean soup another day?

198December 2018 ..... What's Cooking? - Page 8 Empty Re: December 2018 ..... What's Cooking? Sun Dec 30, 2018 4:26 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

Supper has been determined by harvest time!

I've been keeping a close eye on our pea plants (we have two) in patio pots in the courtyard. They've been full of blooms but our weather turned cooler so the peas didn't develop quickly. But it's been warm the last week and today we got our first harvest.

December 2018 ..... What's Cooking? - Page 8 12_30_10

We didn't get too many ~ but these will make a nice addition to a chicken stir fry with some other vegetables!

December 2018 ..... What's Cooking? - Page 8 12_30_11

199December 2018 ..... What's Cooking? - Page 8 Empty Re: December 2018 ..... What's Cooking? Sun Dec 30, 2018 5:45 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

bethk wrote:Hey, Jimmy, when you simmer your ham do you save the liquid to use for bean soup another day?

No Beth! The nitrates and sodium are in there.

200December 2018 ..... What's Cooking? - Page 8 Empty Re: December 2018 ..... What's Cooking? Sun Dec 30, 2018 5:55 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Woosh! Huffff! Burp!

So full now! Episode #3 of Christmas dinner was delicious.
The ham was great, and so was the turkey breast.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 8 of 9]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum