Cooking Friends
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Cooking Friends

Friends sharing recipes, cooking techniques & menu ideas in a friendly atmosphere.

You are not connected. Please login or register

December 2018 ..... What's Cooking?

+4
bethk
NormM
Niagara Visitor
UNCLE JIMMY
8 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Go down  Message [Page 7 of 9]

151December 2018 ..... What's Cooking? - Page 7 Empty Re: December 2018 ..... What's Cooking? Sun Dec 23, 2018 1:09 pm

Bugster2

Bugster2

I hope Imelda's family is ok. I don't have any idea if they were near that tsunami.

Katie had a couple over for drinks yesterday afternoon. It turned into dinner and we had to order out for pizza. I was embarrassed because I had nother to feed them. Katie didn't tell me they were going to stay that long. She ordered Papa John's and it was not good. Katie's friend had ETD (excessive talking disorder) and talked nonstop for 6 hours. You could not get in a word. I got really tired and thought I was going to fall asleep on the couch.

I think I am going to make cookie dough today. Katie is having friends over for dinner. She says she is going to cook everything except I have to make the fish. Yesterday, Joe cleaned the entire downstairs because she couldn't haul her butt out of bed to do it. It will probably be the same thing today except I am going to be unsociable, if need be.

152December 2018 ..... What's Cooking? - Page 7 Empty Re: December 2018 ..... What's Cooking? Sun Dec 23, 2018 7:30 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

I made our second 'Hello Fresh' dinner kit tonight ~ Honey Chicken and Blistered Beans over Jasmine Rice. Dane thought it was too sweet. I'm hoping Robin is able to cancel the rest of the meals she ordered for later delivery.

I hate to be a 'Downer' and I hope Robin doesn't feel bad about us not really liking the gift she sent. But it's just not to our liking and seems to be very expensive when I'm more than happy to go shopping for ingredients and cook our meals. She'd be more appreciated if she would just text me three times a week with suggestions of what I should make or remembered meals from when she was growing up that she really liked. It's the meal ideas I get stumped on.

Here's the meal kit and recipe card:

December 2018 ..... What's Cooking? - Page 7 12_23_10

and here's our completed meals:

December 2018 ..... What's Cooking? - Page 7 12_23_11

153December 2018 ..... What's Cooking? - Page 7 Empty Re: December 2018 ..... What's Cooking? Sun Dec 23, 2018 9:23 pm

Bugster2

Bugster2

I read a review on Hello Fresh. They were not impressed.

154December 2018 ..... What's Cooking? - Page 7 Empty Re: December 2018 ..... What's Cooking? Sun Dec 23, 2018 9:37 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

The kits were complete. I would think if you were working and running kids four different directions a quick meal would be convenient. I have no complaints about the quality or even how the meals came together.

I put very little credence in the opinions of others, especially if I don't know them.

155December 2018 ..... What's Cooking? - Page 7 Empty Re: December 2018 ..... What's Cooking? Mon Dec 24, 2018 5:42 am

Bugster2

Bugster2

Their main complaint was cost vs quality. I don't know since I have never tried them and never will. Just making a comment.

156December 2018 ..... What's Cooking? - Page 7 Empty Re: December 2018 ..... What's Cooking? Mon Dec 24, 2018 11:26 am

Niagara Visitor

Bugster2 wrote:Their main complaint was cost vs quality. I don't know since I have never tried them and never will. Just making a comment.
 I have no experience in the department of those kinds of food deliveries, but look at them in the light of the labour that has to be paid for putting them together, the cost of packaging and delivery.  Of course they have to be either poorer quality than actually freshly bought and made at home, or cost more.  Probably both.  All the packaging alone turns me off.  

Looking at things in the grocery store like all the precut vegetables and fruit platters are the same.  Convenience costs money.  I have made beef rouladen for our Christmas Eve dinner tonight.  I generally buy a head of red cabbage and cook it myself.  Got lazy this year and bought two jars................. $3.49 each.  Convenient.  THe head of cabbage would have been $.97 

Merry Christmas, everyone.

157December 2018 ..... What's Cooking? - Page 7 Empty Re: December 2018 ..... What's Cooking? Mon Dec 24, 2018 3:06 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

I'm getting as much cooking prep done today as I can so my meal will come together with a minimum of effort tomorrow.

I cleaned and blanched my green beans so all I'll have to do is warm them in a skillet with some butter and Penzey's seasoning until heated through. I made the mashed potatoes and have them cooled down and in the refrigerator. They can go into the oven with the roast to reheat. I have the carrots peeled and cut into serving lengths to be roasted with the parsnips as the roast gets it's last blast of heat to brown up just before serving ~ the parsnips can't be peeled & cut until tomorrow because they tend to discolor if cut too soon before cooking.

I'm going to do my beef just the opposite of what I did last year (525° for 5 minutes per pound and then turn off the oven and let it sit unopened) ~ this year I'm going to do the 200° - 225° for 2 1/2 to 3 hours or until internal temp reaches 130°. Then it will get put into a 500° oven for the 15 minutes before carving to crisp up and get color. Supposedly since it's done it's resting prior to the crisping you can carve it immediately.

I cleaned the shrimp which will be oven roasted. I put together the remoulade sauce. I had Dane taste test it for me and he liked it but though it lacked any spice, which it did because the friends that are coming for dinner don't care for anything spicy. So, after I filled a jar with the sauce for tomorrow I started adding hot cherry peppers and fresh horseradish to what was still in the mini-chopper and then had him taste again. It met with his approval. So, everyone should be happy with the shrimp cocktail tomorrow. Here's a pic of what I used (the shrimp is in the bag on the right, ready to be cleaned):

December 2018 ..... What's Cooking? - Page 7 12_24_10

I started with chopping up some herbs from my patio pots; dill, parsley, tarragon & chives. Then there was some sweet relish, chopped baby dill pickles, worchestershire, capers, grainy mustard, sriracha, ketchup & Hellmann's.

158December 2018 ..... What's Cooking? - Page 7 Empty Re: December 2018 ..... What's Cooking? Mon Dec 24, 2018 6:48 pm

NormM

NormM

We had Christmas eve dinner today a short time ago. Tomorrow we will be at my sister's.

We had smoked salmon appetizers with sour cream on apple chips. Rib roast, salad, potatoes, Brussels sprout hash, sour dough bread and chocolate cake. I made the cake and bread yesterday.  Why is it that when you watch someone ice a cake, it looks so much easier?  Also why do they never put enough icing in those store bought tubs and too much in two?  I put cream cheese icing on top and the middle and chocolate around the side.  We had sparkling apple juice too.

I remembered Beth saying to have the popovers with gravy so I made some for them. The neighbors gave us some Baileys Irish Cream and I put a little of that in the gravy.  Some of the oil spilled out of the popover pan and the oven started smoking a lot so I took them out early.  They were still good.
December 2018 ..... What's Cooking? - Page 7 20181216
December 2018 ..... What's Cooking? - Page 7 20181215
December 2018 ..... What's Cooking? - Page 7 20181217

http://r2j1cp@gmail.com

159December 2018 ..... What's Cooking? - Page 7 Empty Re: December 2018 ..... What's Cooking? Mon Dec 24, 2018 8:33 pm

Bugster2

Bugster2

Niagara Visitor wrote:
Bugster2 wrote:Their main complaint was cost vs quality. I don't know since I have never tried them and never will. Just making a comment.
 I have no experience in the department of those kinds of food deliveries, but look at them in the light of the labour that has to be paid for putting them together, the cost of packaging and delivery.  Of course they have to be either poorer quality than actually freshly bought and made at home, or cost more.  Probably both.  All the packaging alone turns me off.  

Looking at things in the grocery store like all the precut vegetables and fruit platters are the same.  Convenience costs money.  I have made beef rouladen for our Christmas Eve dinner tonight.  I generally buy a head of red cabbage and cook it myself.  Got lazy this year and bought two jars................. $3.49 each.  Convenient.  THe head of cabbage would have been $.97 

Merry Christmas, everyone.

I kind of look at most pre-packaged meals as being similar to gas station sushi: I don't trust it.

160December 2018 ..... What's Cooking? - Page 7 Empty Re: December 2018 ..... What's Cooking? Mon Dec 24, 2018 9:27 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

Norm, your meal looks amazing! Weren't the Yorkshire puddings good drenched in gravy? I thought about making them for our Christmas dinner tomorrow but decided I really didn't want the smoke alarms going off again. LOL. Merry Christmas to you and Charlie. Have a very happy meal at your sister's tomorrow.

Merry Christmas everyone!

161December 2018 ..... What's Cooking? - Page 7 Empty Re: December 2018 ..... What's Cooking? Mon Dec 24, 2018 9:52 pm

NormM

NormM

Thank you Beth.  Yes they were good with gravy and they were creamier with having taken them out of the oven sooner too. Merry Christmas all.

http://r2j1cp@gmail.com

162December 2018 ..... What's Cooking? - Page 7 Empty Re: December 2018 ..... What's Cooking? Tue Dec 25, 2018 3:38 am

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Hi everyone, and a Merry Christmas to all.
A massive chest pain warranted me to take a few days to visit the Gagnon cardiac intensive care unit. I had Tina drive me to the ER there.......
i was there sat nite till this evening on the 24th. I'm home now.

They did several tests, and finally a cath lab to do an angioplasty.
There were some old stents and new blockages, but were not a threat for now.
They gave me nitro pills to stop angina pressure if it was that. I seemed to stop the pain. They said, esophagus issues can mimic a heart pain, and actually sympathize pain to the heart. They gave me pantoprazole sod 40 mg. to take.
I'm home and resting. I AM NO BABY , oops, but I am sore all over from the tests and positions I had been in. needles and plugs all over.
My legs are swollen I( edema ) and they did a doppler test ( ultrasound ) to see the blood vessels for flow of blood and for blood clots in the legs. It was ok.
I am going to wear compression stockings from now on.

Other than that.... I need rest a week or so, and I made it home for Christmas to be with my loved ones. DD cooked for the 7 fishes ritual, on the eve of the holy day.
Tomorrow, we will have a breast of turkey, and prime rib roast.
Sunday, we will have the Holiday feast with Ham, Kielbasi, a 14 lb turkey, and lasagna; as the main course of meats; and of course, potatoes and veggies of sorts.

163December 2018 ..... What's Cooking? - Page 7 Empty Re: December 2018 ..... What's Cooking? Tue Dec 25, 2018 9:04 am

bethk

bethk
Admin

So very happy you were OK to be released to rest at home. You are blessed!

Merry Christmas to you and Tina --- just stay in your chairs and watch the day go by..

164December 2018 ..... What's Cooking? - Page 7 Empty Re: December 2018 ..... What's Cooking? Tue Dec 25, 2018 12:21 pm

cookingirl

cookingirl

UNCLE JIMMY wrote:Hi everyone, and a Merry Christmas to all.
A massive chest pain warranted me to take a few days to visit the Gagnon cardiac intensive care unit. I had Tina drive me to the ER there.......
i was there sat nite till this evening on the 24th. I'm home now.

They did several tests, and finally a cath lab to do an angioplasty.
There were some old stents and new blockages, but were not a threat for now.
They gave me nitro pills to stop angina pressure if it was that. I seemed to stop the pain. They said, esophagus issues can mimic a heart pain, and actually sympathize pain to the heart. They gave me pantoprazole sod 40 mg. to take.
I'm home and resting. I AM NO BABY , oops, but I am sore all over from the tests and positions I had been in.  needles and plugs all over.
My legs are swollen I( edema ) and they did a doppler test ( ultrasound ) to see the blood vessels for  flow of blood and for  blood clots in the legs. It was ok.
I am going to wear compression stockings from now on.

Other than that.... I  need rest a week or so, and I made it home for Christmas to be with my loved ones. DD cooked for the 7 fishes ritual, on the eve of the holy day.
Tomorrow, we will have a breast of turkey, and prime rib roast.
Sunday, we will have the Holiday feast with Ham, Kielbasi, a 14 lb turkey, and lasagna; as the main course of meats; and of course, potatoes and veggies of sorts.

So glad things went well enough, that you are were able to come home.. especially so quickly.

Yes, you will be sore. The hospital is really not place for rest. 

Still keeping you and your family in my prayers..

Merry Christmas to all...

Gee, Jimmy, You get to celebrate Christmas twice this year!!  Wow.. double the gifts!!!! 

Merry Christmas to all here at the Food Forum!!!!

165December 2018 ..... What's Cooking? - Page 7 Empty Re: December 2018 ..... What's Cooking? Tue Dec 25, 2018 12:47 pm

Bugster2

Bugster2

Jimmy, so glad you are home now. Sometimes it feels like the health issues never end, but it will. Thinking of you today.

166December 2018 ..... What's Cooking? - Page 7 Empty Re: December 2018 ..... What's Cooking? Tue Dec 25, 2018 2:38 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Thank you for the well wishes from everyone.
Just retaining my cool, and resting out.
DD has all under control. Prime rib in the oven cooking, and turkey breast and stuffing.

167December 2018 ..... What's Cooking? - Page 7 Empty Re: December 2018 ..... What's Cooking? Wed Dec 26, 2018 3:58 am

Imelda HL

Imelda HL

Bugster2 wrote:I hope Imelda's family is ok. I don't have any idea if they were near that tsunami.

Katie had a couple over for drinks yesterday afternoon. It turned into dinner and we had to order out for pizza. I was embarrassed because I had nother to feed them. Katie didn't tell me they were going to stay that long. She ordered Papa John's and it was not good. Katie's friend had ETD (excessive talking disorder) and talked nonstop for 6 hours. You could not get in a word. I got really tired and thought I was going to fall asleep on the couch.

I think I am going to make cookie dough today. Katie is having friends over for dinner. She says she is going to cook everything except I have to make the fish. Yesterday, Joe cleaned the entire downstairs because she couldn't haul her butt out of bed to do it. It will probably be the same thing today except I am going to be unsociable, if need be.

Thank you, so far my family and friends are okay,  the tsunami happened at a coast about 70 miles away, the  volcano is further, but people are worried that there will be more eruptions and we worry for earthquake after the eruption, nothing we can do except keep praying for the safety of everybody

My Christmas ribs turned out perfect, I got compliments from everybody, one of them want to roast it the exact way I did, I slowed roast it for 3 hours ( 250'F ), then wrapped it with heavy duty aluminum foil, put it on top of 2 hot bricks wrapped in foil like Jimmy suggested, I put them in an insulated basket, and drove 65 miles to my parent in-law's house, I then heated the oven 250'F, roasted it for another 30 minutes before I cranked up the heat for 500'F, cooked for another 5 minutes to get the crust. I seasoned my ribs with the mixture of olive oil, granulated onion, garlic powder, salt and black pepper, added bunch of rosemary, my full house smelled so good

December 2018 ..... What's Cooking? - Page 7 48413910
December 2018 ..... What's Cooking? - Page 7 48416110
December 2018 ..... What's Cooking? - Page 7 Dscn3310

168December 2018 ..... What's Cooking? - Page 7 Empty Re: December 2018 ..... What's Cooking? Wed Dec 26, 2018 8:16 am

bethk

bethk
Admin

I'm glad your family is safe, Imelda. A tsunami is such a scary thing, especially when it occurs without any warning at all.

Your rib roast turned out amazing! You did yourself PROUD!!!! It's always such a worry when you are responsible for the 'Main Event' for a meal. You do the best you can and hope it turns out the way it should. Good job!

I, too, had a successful roasting of the beef. PHEW!!! And I did it just about the same as Imelda did, except I started mine at 500° for about 20 minutes to 'sear' the roast and then turned the oven back to 250° until it tested 130° with my Thermapen thermometer. It sat, tented with foil, until it was time to carve. I did end up putting the two end cuts under the broiler because one of our guests preferred his meat medium-well done. But that was easy enough to do ~ better than having the entire roast cooked to medium-well and everyone else wanting medium-rare......not possible! LOL

I was way too exhausted to post these pics last night. I think I'm getting old. A holiday dinner use to be much easier. My energy level just ain't what it use to be. But it was thrilling to have the meal all come together and enjoyed by our guests.

So here are the pics of random shots.......roasted shrimp, the 'Ina Method' (and the only way I'll make shrimp cocktail again!):

December 2018 ..... What's Cooking? - Page 7 12_25_10

My roasted carrots & parsnips, simply seasoned with evoo, s&p ~ roasted at 450° about 25 minutes until tender:

December 2018 ..... What's Cooking? - Page 7 12_25_11

A traditional colored Christmas salad, Spinach & Strawberry Salad w/red onion rings and a poppyseed dressing:

December 2018 ..... What's Cooking? - Page 7 12_25_12

Plated appetizers ~ shrimp cocktail with remoulade sauce, mixed olives & Goldfish crackers:

December 2018 ..... What's Cooking? - Page 7 12_25_13

My beef carved & ready to serve:

December 2018 ..... What's Cooking? - Page 7 12_25_14

My Christmas cake (big FAIL as far as I'm concerned).....it was a box mix and I over baked it so it came out really dry. The 7-Minute Frosting, however, was good. LOL

December 2018 ..... What's Cooking? - Page 7 12_25_15

And, finally, my Christmas Dinner Plate:

December 2018 ..... What's Cooking? - Page 7 12_25_16

169December 2018 ..... What's Cooking? - Page 7 Empty Re: December 2018 ..... What's Cooking? Wed Dec 26, 2018 2:15 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

My goodness..... what a beautiful outlay of food and platings...
Imelda and Beth, the beef came out perfect...
I must say, our beef came out perfect also.

170December 2018 ..... What's Cooking? - Page 7 Empty Re: December 2018 ..... What's Cooking? Wed Dec 26, 2018 6:14 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

For whatever reason, I'm exhausted today......so I told Dane I wanted to go out for supper. After spending 2 to 3 days prepping for the holiday I'm ready to be waited on. I can't figure out why it fell to me to do 90% of the cleanup as well. I guess I've lost the ability to give "THE LOOK" that I perfected when the girls were still home......either that or Dane has perfected "IGNORE" on demand. LOL

I just don't know what I want....nothing much, but just something I don't have to cook.

We ended up going to the Jewish Deli and I had a simple side salad and a bowl of butternut soup.....just right when I didn't know what I wanted.

171December 2018 ..... What's Cooking? - Page 7 Empty Re: December 2018 ..... What's Cooking? Thu Dec 27, 2018 4:09 am

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

The fridge is so packed with leftovers, I don't even want to look for a thing in between the maze of items.
I had some meatballs with sauce tonight; that Tina made from ground turkey that DD had and didn't use.
We M U S T make time to clean out the fridge.

My next door neighbor went to Myerstown PA today, and he picked me up my favorite of Pickle Pimento loaf lunch meat at Hornings Market there.
I can't wait till Sunday; when we have the ham, and sweet taters.
With a smoked ham, we always have potato salad; so I will offer to make that.

172December 2018 ..... What's Cooking? - Page 7 Empty Re: December 2018 ..... What's Cooking? Thu Dec 27, 2018 10:48 am

bethk

bethk
Admin

We always seem to think everything we make for a holiday meal is needed. Some day I hope to be "schmart" enough to cut back and be happy with just a few selected dishes. I have plans to make a cottage pie with the leftover mashed potatoes. I think tomorrow will be hot roast beef sandwiches with the extra prime rib. I'll have to make a good gravy and buy a good loaf of bakery bread. Special meals where the leftovers aren't duplicates of the original meal are the only way I like leftovers.

173December 2018 ..... What's Cooking? - Page 7 Empty Re: December 2018 ..... What's Cooking? Thu Dec 27, 2018 12:03 pm

Niagara Visitor

All your foods look so great.  I have not figured out how to post pictures here.  Maybe in the New Year inspiration will hit me and I'll learn.  I have never done "roasted" shrimp, they look really good.  .

174December 2018 ..... What's Cooking? - Page 7 Empty Re: December 2018 ..... What's Cooking? Thu Dec 27, 2018 1:04 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

Lore, the shrimp were delicious! Just a tiny bit of olive oil (I turned them in a bowl instead of trying to coat them on the sheet pan) and then a sprinkle of s&p. 400 degrees for about 8 minutes or until pink. Much more flavor than boiled. I served at room temperature.

175December 2018 ..... What's Cooking? - Page 7 Empty Re: December 2018 ..... What's Cooking? Thu Dec 27, 2018 2:08 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Lasagna tonight! .... Tina has to put it together, and bake it just to be ready and set for eating at 6:00 pm.
DIL Sherrie is making a salad, and Tina just picked up Italian pastries at Giancarlo's

Good thing, is the car passed inspection at the DMV; so we got 2 years until the next one. Hopefully the state will do away with inspection like Florida did. ? Am I right in saying so ( Beth ) ??

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 7 of 9]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum