Cooking Friends

Friends sharing recipes, cooking techniques & menu ideas in a friendly atmosphere.

You are not connected. Please login or register

December 2018 ..... What's Cooking?

Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 4]

1 December 2018 ..... What's Cooking? on Sat Dec 01, 2018 2:17 am

UNCLE JIMMY

I have no clue what we will cook.
It's my wish for a nice steak to sink my teeth into. Then again, I think there is a package of thin cut round steaks in the freezer.
I like them seared with Italian spices, and garlic.
I am also wishing for a baked sweet potato.

2 Re: December 2018 ..... What's Cooking? on Sat Dec 01, 2018 2:33 am

UNCLE JIMMY

I forgot about this! This I think will be lunch TODAY!

Tina just made a pot of Hamburger Goulash with elbow macaroni.
Razz Just because she was wishing for it!   Razz

3 Re: December 2018 ..... What's Cooking? on Sat Dec 01, 2018 5:30 am

UNCLE JIMMY

Tina bought one of those as seen on tv pans. It's the Blue Diamond fry pan. So far, so good. I fried my egg yesterday, and it did not stick.
Now, the square copper coated pan, ( another as seen on tv ) sticks. You have to put a lot of oil or butter so stuff doesn't stick.

4 Re: December 2018 ..... What's Cooking? on Sat Dec 01, 2018 12:18 pm

Niagara Visitor

Company coming for dinner................... 95 year old aunt, my sister-in-law and boyfriend.

Aunt is still pretty well up to eating basically everything, just not too spicy.  SIL is kinda fussy, doesn't eat meat, but loves seafood.  Boyfriend would probably eat stewed rocks if I got the tender-crisp. LOL.  He's definitely fun to cook for.  

So, I am making Salmon Wellington, oven roasted potatoes and pretty plain carrots and green beans.

5 Re: December 2018 ..... What's Cooking? on Sat Dec 01, 2018 8:20 pm

NormM

We had tacos tonight

http://r2j1cp@gmail.com

6 Re: December 2018 ..... What's Cooking? on Sat Dec 01, 2018 9:35 pm

bethk

Admin
Lore, your dinner party fare sounds extremely festive! I'm sure everyone will love coming to your home over and over again!

Taco Sunday! Way to go, Norm!

And the Queen of "don't~like~leftovers" strikes again.....

Hot roast beef sandwiches with fried potatoes & carrots.

Actually, since it was completely different from the original meal, it was OK.

7 Re: December 2018 ..... What's Cooking? on Sun Dec 02, 2018 1:57 am

UNCLE JIMMY

NormM wrote:We had tacos tonight

They look good Norm. I could go for a face full right now!

8 Re: December 2018 ..... What's Cooking? on Sun Dec 02, 2018 2:01 am

UNCLE JIMMY

bethk wrote:Lore, your dinner party fare sounds extremely festive!  I'm sure everyone will love coming to your home over and over again!

Taco Sunday!  Way to go, Norm!

And the Queen of "don't~like~leftovers" strikes again.....

Hot roast beef sandwiches with fried potatoes & carrots.  

Actually, since it was completely different from the original meal, it was OK.

Looks good Beth.... Fried Carrots???......Sounds good, but never had or heard of them.
Beth, do you par boil the carrots before they are fried??

9 Re: December 2018 ..... What's Cooking? on Sun Dec 02, 2018 3:35 am

UNCLE JIMMY

We had stuffed cabbages from st. Theodore's Church. Tina went there with her friend to a tricky tray. The priest and his group made stuffed cabbage.
They were NOT very appetizing. They were all rice; no meat in the filling...
Dry, and the cabbage was tough and stringy.

I had 1/2 of a cheese danish, and called it quits.
Why only 1/2 a danish?? ..... Because of my saving 1/2 for Tina to show I love her.
(((( NOW, That has got to be a lot of love, for me to give up that 1/2 to her! ))))

I am not tired. I think I will make some egg salad for tomorrow.

10 Re: December 2018 ..... What's Cooking? on Sun Dec 02, 2018 9:14 am

bethk

Admin
UNCLE JIMMY wrote:
Looks good Beth.... Fried Carrots???......Sounds good, but never had or heard of them.

Ah, Jimmy, you missed the part of my post about this being a meal 're-do'......our former meal of pot roast with carrots & potatoes.

So, in answer to your question.....Yes, the carrots were VERY well done before being chopped up with the potatoes and fried in a skillet with a bit of oil. It was just a way to get them included in a meal to be eaten instead of dumping them into the trash as I often do. I hate being so wasteful and try hard to just cook the amount we're going to eat in one meal.

11 Re: December 2018 ..... What's Cooking? on Sun Dec 02, 2018 4:55 pm

bethk

Admin
I've got everything cut up for a beef stir fry tonight. I called a couple of our single neighbors to ask the if they'd like to come for a home cooked meal. Not surprisingly, we'll have four for supper tonight. It's such a small thing but seems to mean a great deal to people who only cook for one or go out.

12 Re: December 2018 ..... What's Cooking? on Sun Dec 02, 2018 5:35 pm

Bugster2

Last night it was slow cooker French onion soup. Had that in the cooker for 30 hours. It was worth it.
Tonight will be baked cod in a lemon sauce with some hasselback potatoes. I saw a recipe where the potatoes were sliced on a mandolin, then stacked on their sides in individual casseroles. Easier than trying to keep them together when sliced.

I bought an interesting mustard at TJ's this morning: it is a blue cheese Dijon.

Tonight I am going to make a dessert cocktail. it is called a Blitzen (after the reindeer). You are supposed to use mini martini glasses (which I have) but Joe and Katie will want a full size drink. It is a martini glass, rim dipped in melted chocolate and then in chocolate sprinkles. The glass is squirted with chocolate sauce on the inside. The drink itself consists of chocolate ice cream, crème de cacao, vodka, Bailey's Irish Cream all blended together.

13 Re: December 2018 ..... What's Cooking? on Sun Dec 02, 2018 7:16 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

bethk wrote:
UNCLE JIMMY wrote:

Ah, Jimmy, you missed the part of my post about this being a meal 're-do'......our former meal of pot roast with carrots & potatoes.

So, in answer to your question.....Yes, the carrots were VERY well done before being chopped up with the potatoes and fried in a skillet with a bit of oil.  It was just a way to get them included in a meal to be eaten instead of dumping them into the trash as I often do.  I hate being so wasteful and try hard to just cook the amount we're going to eat in one meal.
Thanks Beth! ...... I probably read it, but it faded from my brain when I tried to figure it into the statement ! No
OK..... so, If I want fried carrots and potatoes, I need abc carrots.
( Already Been Cooked ) NOT to be confused with already been chewed!

14 Re: December 2018 ..... What's Cooking? on Sun Dec 02, 2018 8:43 pm

Niagara Visitor

bethk wrote:Lore, your dinner party fare sounds extremely festive!  I'm sure everyone will love coming to your home over and over again!

Thanks.  Yes, dinner was a success.  I was and still am amazed at how much the 95 year old aunt ate.  I was concerned a bit about too spicy, but she loved it.  Ate a whole slice of the salmon, some veggies and potatoes, and a piece of blueberry pie for dessert.  Salmon Wellington is a lot of work, but it's fun to cook for people who appreciate it.  

My dinner tonight was 2 burgers done on my new tFal grill.  Ok, but not much flavour in the actual burger.  Grill did a great job, though.

15 Re: December 2018 ..... What's Cooking? on Sun Dec 02, 2018 10:37 pm

bethk

Admin
The stir fry was appreciated.....it always amazes me how an ordinary, every day meal can be special for people who don't cook. Then I feel bad that I don't think to invite them more often....

Of course, I didn't remember to take a pic, but you've seen it all before so we'll pretend you can see it. I did go all out and I bought a loaf of challah at the deli...nothing like a fresh slice of egg bread to make a meal seem special, well, special to ME, LOL. I didn't even have a dessert. No one wanted more. How easy can a meal get? It wasn't even much to clean up since all to prep gets done early and once that's cleaned up there's nothing but a quick fry and suppers on the table. I always make my rice in the microwave so the Pyrex dish is the cooking dish and serving dish.

16 Re: December 2018 ..... What's Cooking? on Sun Dec 02, 2018 10:54 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

Today we had chix wings and I cooked them crispy.
DD made a frozen Red Baron Pizza. and squash.
She baked a fresh apple pie. Yum! ..... Later! With a small scoop of ice cream.
I took some pictures of the leftovers.

17 Re: December 2018 ..... What's Cooking? on Mon Dec 03, 2018 12:43 am

Bugster2

My Blitzen cocktail was a big hit. Had to drive 8 miles to Total Wine to buy the creme de cacao though. No grocery stores near me had it.

18 Re: December 2018 ..... What's Cooking? on Mon Dec 03, 2018 7:47 pm

bethk

Admin
I tentatively decided on pork and squash for supper....ended up with a lightly breaded pork chop, acorn squash, lima beans and I sauteed the napa cabbage I forgot to put into the stir fry with bacon.  I couldn't believe it when I started to put the stir fry in a dish last night was when I noticed the bowl of sliced napa cabbage and bok choy leaves sitting right next to the stove.  I think I've gone blind!  LOL

19 Re: December 2018 ..... What's Cooking? on Tue Dec 04, 2018 1:44 am

UNCLE JIMMY

Good choice Beth! Looks good!

Love the size of that chop.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
I had leftover Hungarian Goulash that Tina made the other day.
A corn muffin for dessert.

20 Re: December 2018 ..... What's Cooking? on Tue Dec 04, 2018 7:49 pm

bethk

Admin
I pulled the wings out of the freezer this morning and then asked, "What do you want with wings tonight?" He said he had to think about it.......an hour later he came up with "baked beans and cole slaw".

Sure am glad it wasn't an emergency.............

So, I did the wings on the charcoal grill the 'new way' I started a while back. I first put them in the oven, seasoned & on a rack, at about 325° until the fat is rendered off a bit and they are completely cooked. Then, when I put them on the hot grill all I have to do is turn them a couple times to crisp them up and I know there's no chance they have any pink in them.

I used a bottled Marzetti slaw dressing on the cabbage I shredded ~ it's an old Ohio brand that is so distinctive and we've loved it forever. I didn't even know it was available here but when I saw it I was really glad I took the time to search the shelves. The beans were simply a can of Bush's, warmed and put into a bowl and on to the table.

21 Re: December 2018 ..... What's Cooking? on Tue Dec 04, 2018 8:28 pm

Bugster2

I made a pot of loaded baked potato soup. I am going to make some grilled cheese to go with it.

22 Re: December 2018 ..... What's Cooking? on Wed Dec 05, 2018 1:13 am

UNCLE JIMMY

For supper, we had some Quiche Lorraine with swiss and broccoli.

I had a bologna sandwich. Held me over till the quiche was done.

I had 4 Hershey Kisses for dessert.

23 Re: December 2018 ..... What's Cooking? on Wed Dec 05, 2018 7:27 pm

bethk

Admin
Today was the day for the delivery of my new induction range.....nice guys from Lowe's to deliver and set up for me. They checked to be sure everything was working and I knew a little of what to do before they left.

But other than the test pan of hot water, nothing has been cooked on the top of it yet. I did play around with the conventional / convection oven for the smashed potatoes and roasted asparagus for supper. I probably should have done a good 45 minute 'pre-heat' to get the 'new' smell released before I put in food......phewey!

Supper was a grilled strip steak, baked smashed potatoes w/sour cream & roasted asparagus.

24 Re: December 2018 ..... What's Cooking? on Wed Dec 05, 2018 9:00 pm

NormM

Pretty Stove. Congratulations.

http://r2j1cp@gmail.com

25 Re: December 2018 ..... What's Cooking? on Wed Dec 05, 2018 9:30 pm

bethk

Admin
Thanks, I'm hoping it will be fun to play with.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 4]

Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum