Cooking Friends
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Cooking Friends

Friends sharing recipes, cooking techniques & menu ideas in a friendly atmosphere.

You are not connected. Please login or register

June 2018, Whats for Breakfast / Brunch / Lunch ??

+2
Imelda HL
UNCLE JIMMY
6 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Ready for a lunch of bologna sandwich....

Imelda HL

Imelda HL

UNCLE JIMMY wrote:Ready for a lunch of bologna sandwich....

I was just going to start a new month, I'm glad I catch this... a cup of latte with a slice of roll cake, made by my dear friend

June 2018, Whats for Breakfast / Brunch / Lunch ?? Dscn0610

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Ooops.... forgot:

Breakfast =

Taylor Ham fried; with egg and cheese, on an English toasted muffin!

Crybaby

Crybaby

When I got coffee to bring upstairs this morning, I sliced a big slice of the BEST banana bread you ever had for each of us.

Today was a friend's last day (his name is The, pronounced Tay, as he's Vietnamese) at his nail salon. He sold it a couple of months ago and he, his wife and two kids are moving to Houston. Luckily for me, the young woman who works there (her name is pronounced "Twin" and I THINK it is spelled Tuyen but am not sure) bought it and will keep it running. It's about 11.5 miles from my house in Belle Chasse, but it's a lovely area that I enjoy driving to. I always see lots of hawks, herons and other birds on the drive down, and sometimes see people crawfishing in ditches on the side of the two lane road I drive down on my way into Belle Chasse. I've been going there about 10 years and will miss The very much -- it's a pretty salon kept very clean and they only do nails and eyebrow waxing. We have so much fun when I go there, and I always leave laughing.

The's wife, Paulina, makes the best banana bread you ever tasted -- moist, moist, moist and she puts dried cranberries in it -- and he usually gives it out as Christmas presents (started giving me 2 loaves instead of one years ago after I told him Brian and I would fight over the last piece). Yesterday I went to get a pedicure hoping I wouldn't cry when I told The goodbye. (I cried last time I got my nails done but needed to go back yesterday to see him one more time.) Brian came inside to pick me up after making a run to the Naval Base and as we left (I got choked up for a second but didn't cry!), The handed Brian a brown bag and told him to hush and not say anything to me. Inside were two loaves of Paulina's banana bread!

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Tina was at the church at a meeting, and on way back home she stopped at the bagel shoppe.
She brought me an egg and cheese with taylor ham, on a soft roll.

Each bite was an slippery mouth full of sticky dough balls. The egg squished out, and was a trick to keep it in a chewing pattern.

Tomorrow will be Yeast raised Belgian Waffles..... The batter is in the reefer right now. I just made it! It raises overnight.

bethk

bethk
Admin

Today was a late breakfast / brunch......

June 2018, Whats for Breakfast / Brunch / Lunch ?? 06_13_10

Crybaby

Crybaby

Enjoying being all by yourself and making what you want, Missy?  

Why don't you make something lemony while Dane's not there, as I know you like lemony things like we do.  Here's a suggestion, as this is delicious and I think I remember you like capers, another ingredient I adore. And you can use fresh garlic, too!

I know you're always wondering what you're going to make for dinner so here's my suggestion!

Lemon Chicken Piccata
Makes 4 servings.

3 large skinless, boneless chicken breast halves - cut into 1/2-inch medallions  (I cut the breasts in half horizontally, pounding if necessary)
Salt and pepper to taste  
1/2 cup all-purpose flour  
2 Tablespoons vegetable oil, or as needed  
1 clove garlic, minced  
1 cup low sodium chicken broth  
1/2 lemon, thinly sliced  
1/4 cup fresh lemon juice  
2 Tablespoons capers, drained and rinsed  
3 Tablespoons butter  
2 Tablespoons minced Italian parsley  

1. Preheat oven to 200°F.  Place a serving platter into the oven to warm.
Season the chicken breast pieces with salt and pepper and dredge them in flour. Shake off excess flour. Heat the vegetable oil in a skillet; pan-fry the chicken pieces until golden brown on both sides, about 3 minutes per side. Work in batches and do not crowd skillet, adding oil as needed. Place the chicken pieces onto the warmed platter in the oven.
2. When finished with all the chicken, drain most of the oil from the skillet, leaving a thin coating on the surface of the pan.  Cook and stir the minced garlic in the skillet until fragrant, about 20 seconds. Pour in the chicken broth. Scrape and dissolve any brown bits from the bottom of the skillet. Stir in the lemon slices and bring the mixture to a boil.
3. Let cook, stirring occasionally, until the sauce reduces to about 2/3 cup, 5 to 8 minutes. Add the lemon juice and capers; simmer until the sauce is reduced and slightly thickened, about 5 minutes more. Drop the butter into the skillet and swirl it into the sauce by tilting the skillet until the butter is melted and incorporated. Add the parsley; remove from heat and set aside.
4. Arrange the chicken medallions on serving plates and spoon sauce over each portion to serve.

Here's another one of my favorites that I've revised to our liking to go along with it!

Garlic and Herb Orzo and Rice Pilaf
Serves 4.

1 Tablespoon olive oil
4 large garlic cloves, peeled and thinly sliced
1/2 cup orzo pasta, uncooked
1/2 cup long grain rice, uncooked
1-1/2 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth
3 green onions, thinly sliced
1/3 cup fresh thyme leaves OR basil leaves, thinly sliced
1/4 cup fresh Italian parsley, minced
1/4 teaspoon salt

1. In a large nonstick skillet heat oil over medium-high. Add garlic and cook for 1 minute, being careful not to burn.
2. Add orzo and rice; cook 4-6 minutes longer or until lightly browned.
Stir in broth. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 20 minutes, until rice is tender and liquid is absorbed. Remove from heat for 5 minutes.
3. Stir in the green onions, thyme, parsley and salt. Serve. Sprinkle some grated Parmesan on top if desired.

Crybaby

Crybaby

Oops! I should've put that in the dinner thread. So sorry to all!

NormM

NormM

I have almost always opted for sausage for breakfast. I cut it a little thick and then press it really thin with my hands so it will cook quicker. I have noticed that Jimmy Dean sausage is mushier than it used to be and not quite as good either. Then the other day I was getting some bacon at the meat counter and noticed a new flavor: Bourbon and brown sugar. I got half a pound to see what it was like. I cooked it in the oven then put it in the refrig. for later. I heated up a slice in the microwave this morning and had it with a piece of sausage, toast and an egg. The sausage tasted down right bland next to the bacon. It was really really good. I may have just been converted over.

http://r2j1cp@gmail.com

bethk

bethk
Admin

Bacon is most often my 'meat-of-choice' for breakfast. I made the brown sugar/cajun seasoning kind in the oven a couple times and decided to NEVER make it again. I think I ended up eating half a pound (about 4 slices before it even made it to my plate). Dangerous!

BTW ~ who is your new avatar?

NormM

NormM

The avatar is Charlie's cousin Ruth. She lives on Ibiza which is a Spanish island in the Mediterranean. She grew up across the street from us in Junction City.

bethk

bethk
Admin

She's beautiful!

NormM

NormM

She gets prettier every day.

Crybaby

Crybaby

Beth said what I was thinking. She is indeed gorgeous!

NormM

NormM

I have a box on my desk that my uncle has since...oh about 1925 or so and I have two pictures inside. One is of Charlie when we went to the grand canyon and stayed a night at a B&B in Colorado and the other one is of Ruth in 2004 at the age of 18. I think she gets prettier every year.

June 2018, Whats for Breakfast / Brunch / Lunch ?? 20180613
June 2018, Whats for Breakfast / Brunch / Lunch ?? 20180614

Imelda HL

Imelda HL

We brought home a bunch of tomatoes from my Dirk's parents house, their good neighbors harvested a lot and gave them bunch, so today I cooked some tomato soup, I rarely cooked this soup, but it turned out very good, I did not add chicken broth, just plain water with a big scoop of chicken bouillon to add flavor, and I added some Tabasco too.. Dirk loves it

June 2018, Whats for Breakfast / Brunch / Lunch ?? Dscn0912

Imelda HL

Imelda HL

I made some Pot Pies baked in muffin pans, Pot Pie Cupcakes, using can biscuit dough for the cup, adding some cheese to hold the filling together and they turn out so good.. I chose to do it this way, because I almost never successfully baked good Pot Pies, the top crust always fell apart or crumbled.... Dirk took a dozen to his parents for lunch today, I chose to stay home, my ME time alone

June 2018, Whats for Breakfast / Brunch / Lunch ?? 410
June 2018, Whats for Breakfast / Brunch / Lunch ?? Dscn0915
June 2018, Whats for Breakfast / Brunch / Lunch ?? Dscn1010

Niagara Visitor

Those look amazing.  They would be great for one of the pot luck dinners here in my building.

bethk

bethk
Admin

What a clever idea, Imelda!

NormM

NormM

I am probably going to copy that pot pie idea sometime soon.

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Tina went out and picked me up an Egg Mac Muffin......
They are running a special of buy two, for $4.00.

I enjoyed that .

bethk

bethk
Admin

Thread closed......

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum