Cooking Friends
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Cooking Friends

Friends sharing recipes, cooking techniques & menu ideas in a friendly atmosphere.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Whats for Dinner in this December 2014?

+4
Barbara101
Niagara Visitor
bethk
UNCLE JIMMY
8 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 11, 12, 13  Next

Go down  Message [Page 3 of 13]

51Whats for Dinner in this December 2014? - Page 3 Empty Re: Whats for Dinner in this December 2014? Sat Dec 06, 2014 11:16 am

Bugster2

Bugster2

Niagra, your vacation sounds dee-vine! All that clear warm water to swim in. AHHH...

I made beef stew last night. I have been using Emeril's recipe and suddenly I have decided I don't like it. I need to find another one. Suggestions would be welcome.
I bought a bottle of thyme from the Savory Spice shop and believe it or not, it is too strong. It is overpowering. I have found their spices to be a little too unrefined or too whole. I am going to have to pull them out and give them a bit of a grind with a pestle and mortar. I will go back to buying my spices from the local Sprouts Market or use McCormick's. I guess I will toss it or hold on to it for a few years until it gets stale enough to use. Too fresh I guess. LOL.

52Whats for Dinner in this December 2014? - Page 3 Empty Re: Whats for Dinner in this December 2014? Sat Dec 06, 2014 12:19 pm

NormM

NormM

I think this stew is very good. No kidding! It has no tomatoes.

JOHN MADDEN'S STEW
1/2 t. pepper
1/4 t. salt
2 1/2 lb. round steak (cut into 1/2"cubes)
2-3 T oil
2 Lg. onions, chopped
2 Sm. bell peppers, chopped
2 stalks celery, chopped
1 Lg. clove garlic, chopped
3 Lg. carrots, chopped
4 Med. potatoes, cubed
1 Sm. turnip, chopped
1 Sm. rutabaga, chopped
3 cans Swanson beef broth
5-6 drops Tabasco sauce (more or less to taste)
1/8 t. leaf savory, crumbled
1/8 t. leaf marjoram, crumbled
3 T. parsley, chopped

Fry meat. Remove. Saute' onion, pepper, celery, and garlic 10 minutes. Place those veggies
into a stew pot and add carrots, potatoes, turnip, rutabaga, broth , Tabasco, savory, and
marjoram. Bring to boil, add meat. Cover and simmer 1 1/2 hours!

http://r2j1cp@gmail.com

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

NormM wrote:I think this stew is very good. No kidding!  It has no tomatoes.  

JOHN MADDEN'S STEW
   1/2 t. pepper
   1/4 t. salt
   2 1/2 lb. round steak (cut into 1/2"cubes)
   2-3 T oil
   2 Lg. onions, chopped
   2 Sm. bell peppers, chopped
   2 stalks celery, chopped
   1 Lg. clove garlic, chopped
   3 Lg. carrots, chopped
   4 Med. potatoes, cubed
   1 Sm. turnip, chopped
   1 Sm. rutabaga, chopped
   3 cans Swanson beef broth
   5-6 drops Tabasco sauce (more or less to taste)
   1/8 t. leaf savory, crumbled
   1/8 t. leaf marjoram, crumbled
   3 T. parsley, chopped

Fry meat. Remove. Saute' onion, pepper, celery, and garlic 10 minutes. Place those veggies
   into a stew pot and add carrots, potatoes, turnip, rutabaga, broth , Tabasco, savory, and
   marjoram. Bring to boil, add meat. Cover and simmer 1 1/2 hours!

Norm, You forgot to add the B I G Loaf of Bread... hahahahah............. ((Sounds Good ))

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Dinner will be Beef Stroganoff.

Got a nice piece of chuck roast to cube up. I will let Tina make it.

Over noodles sounds really good to me. Tina will naturally make herself mashed potatoes to have with it.

Bugster2

Bugster2

Thanks Norm. I am sure it is good but I would have to leave out the bell pepper 'cause roomie is allergic. I wonder how much the taste would be affected?

Roomie and DH have gone to the beach. Can you believe it in December? I can't take just sitting for 6 hours and freezing my rear end off so I stayed home, again.

I guess grilled cheese will be dinner since I don't know when they will get home. Serves 'em right if I wasn't home at all. They would have to fend for themselves.

My sister and her hubby just bought another home directly across the bay from their house. A 3 million dollar fixer. It has great bones, beautiful woodwork but it belongs in an English tudor home, not a wood-sided house. It will be interesting to see what they can work around, with and what has to be torn out. Prolly another half mil for that. It has a 100 foot dock, a pool and Jacuzzi which they have always wanted. Right on the bay. Sigh. They are going to rent it out while they draw up plans. I was hoping it would be vacant this summer so I could use the pool. When they do move in I bet they leave their adult kids back at the other house. LOL. One is working and the other isn't. The employed kid is making $77,000/yr and says he can't afford to move out. HA! It is because he so spoiled and can't imagine living on less and in lesser circumstances. My sister pays for their $50,000 cars, cell phones, food and more. I should be so poor. LOL.

Barbara101

Barbara101

Whats for Dinner in this December 2014? - Page 3 Honeythighs6_thumb3

BBQ chicken thighs.

cookingirl

cookingirl

Norm, it sounds like a great recipe! I am going to copy and print it!

I have my mom's but this sounds great also....

Bugster2

Bugster2

BBQ thighs! YUM! I think I will just have to have some this week.

Barbara101

Barbara101

Bugster2 wrote:BBQ thighs! YUM! I think I will just have to have some this week.

another thing I have found are bagged veggies you zap for 4 minutes in the microw & they turn out perfect.lol

bethk

bethk
Admin

Barb, the thighs look super yummy. Sure looks to me like you're getting your strength back. Good for you!

At 3:00 this afternoon Dane asked me if I wanted to drive to our favorite shrimp dinner restaurant - it's an hour and a quarter drive but through the Ocala National Forest and lovely if you're not caught in a thunder storm. Today it was in the high 70's and beautiful blue skies - perfect for a leisurly drive. We had our shrimp dinners - $6.25 / 12 shrimp with 2 sides. It's the 'special' everyday from 3-6 p.m. It's nothing fancy but the shrimp are fresh and super sweet with just a very light coating.

61Whats for Dinner in this December 2014? - Page 3 Empty Re: Whats for Dinner in this December 2014? Sat Dec 06, 2014 10:07 pm

NormM

NormM

I suppose you could leave out the bell peppers. I doubt it will affect the taste much.

http://r2j1cp@gmail.com

62Whats for Dinner in this December 2014? - Page 3 Empty Re: Whats for Dinner in this December 2014? Sat Dec 06, 2014 10:42 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Raining here all day! Nice!...
Had the beef cubes ( chuck that I cut out every piece of fat or silverskin ), and gray. Noodles were overcooked for me, but I ate two dishes of them.

Had Drakes Ring Dings for dessert. Today, I cleaned and serviced the Pellet burning stove.
It really gave me an appetite. Oh! and Beth, I did have one slice of bread, to soak up the gravy.
When little, mom would make a quick brown gravy, and brother and I would just tear bread into small pieces, and dunk and wipe up the gravy. That was it! Nothing else. And we were smiles from ear to ear.

63Whats for Dinner in this December 2014? - Page 3 Empty Re: Whats for Dinner in this December 2014? Sat Dec 06, 2014 10:48 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Barb... your chicken thighs look very crispy and well done. Right?

Beth, Do you still have that river shrimp in the freezer?.... That really sounded delicious, but a lot of work! I had some teeny ones in a can of soup I found in the garage. They were really sweet, and actually tasted like lobster meat! Too bad I could only count and find like 8 of then.

Niagara Visitor

I love chicken thighs, my favourite part of the chicken is dark meat!

bethk

bethk
Admin

Jimmy, yes, I do have bags of river shrimp in my freezer. Frozen in quart size zip bags.

It takes me a good 2 to 2 1/2 hours of standing at the sink to clean 'em when I want to cook them. I end up with about 3 c. of cleaned shrimp. It wouldn't be so bad if they were larger and from the open ocean ~ but since they come out of the river where who-knows-what has been dumped, I have to peel them and then remove every bit of the top vein AND the bottom tendon/vein. I don't want to ingest what the bottom-feeders had for their last meal!

But, once they are cleaned, they are the sweetest bits of seafood goodness you could ask for. I'm thinking I should get a bag out to thaw.....maybe add them to a nice jambalaya over rice later in the week.

Bugster2

Bugster2

Niagara Visitor wrote:I love chicken thighs, my favourite part of the chicken is dark meat!

So do I. DH and roomie eat only white meat. I don't care for drumsticks though. Too many ligaments to chew through. I love wings and the crispy skin.

Bugster2

Bugster2

It is 3:30 in the morning and I can't sleep and am feeling cranky. I wish grocery stores were open at this hour so I could start my errands. MY DH would have a fit though. Too dangerous to be out at this hour. He is right. Too many drunks and pervs out and about.

68Whats for Dinner in this December 2014? - Page 3 Empty Re: Whats for Dinner in this December 2014? Sun Dec 07, 2014 11:54 am

Niagara Visitor

Some of the grocery stores here are open 24/7.

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Bugster2 wrote:It is 3:30 in the morning and I can't sleep and am feeling cranky. I wish grocery stores were open at this hour so I could start my errands. MY DH would have a fit though. Too dangerous to be out at this hour. He is right. Too many drunks and pervs out and about.

Pack yer pistol in your purse bugs.
If not because of your state law, pack a can of wasp spray. That is better than pepper spray, and it's legal. affraid

Imelda HL

Imelda HL

I love chicken thigh too.. no breast/white meat for me... my DH loves white meat, so we are good if we buy whole chicken, he eats his parts and I eat mine, win win Razz but he eats thigh too, exp KFC Razz

here is my baked chicken thigh, spicy and crispy skin.. Dirk ate it too but without the skin
Razz

Whats for Dinner in this December 2014? - Page 3 18-3

Barbara101

Barbara101

lol I am with Dirk. White meat for me. I do like wings & thighs tho..

bethk

bethk
Admin

Soooo, what you're saying is....

you don't like the legs!

I'm with you. But the thigh is my favorite ~ after the wings, that is.

Barbara101

Barbara101

Not me. I do not like any leg on on any poultry.If it is fried I eat the breading lol.Last time I had KFC I was sick for 2 days from the grease.Same with Churches. Gross.I had some Hardies a while ago === Good FC..Love the biscuits too.So soft..

Bugster2

Bugster2

I know what you mean about the grease. I was sick for days after eating some H. Salt Fish & Chips. I can't tolerate really greasy foods.

Barbara101

Barbara101

Whats for Dinner in this December 2014? - Page 3 1477460_1550513318522772_5070339562016948878_n

Leftovers make great salad dinners.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 3 of 13]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 11, 12, 13  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum