Cooking Friends
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Cooking Friends

Friends sharing recipes, cooking techniques & menu ideas in a friendly atmosphere.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Whats for Dinner in this December 2014?

+4
Barbara101
Niagara Visitor
bethk
UNCLE JIMMY
8 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12, 13  Next

Go down  Message [Page 11 of 13]

251Whats for Dinner in this December 2014? - Page 11 Empty Re: Whats for Dinner in this December 2014? Thu Dec 25, 2014 9:04 am

Bugster2

Bugster2

Merry Christmas to all!

No dinner last night for any of us. Roomie had a CMV flare-up and slept 18 hours straight. DH and I had cheese and crackers and candy. GOOG! We are half sick on the combo. DH ran out of 7-UP and tried mixing his liquor with Squirt. BLECH! Even for him. LOL. I think I will sneak out to the store and grab some so he can enjoy a cocktail tonight. Fortunately there is a store open on Christmas not too far away.

252Whats for Dinner in this December 2014? - Page 11 Empty Re: Whats for Dinner in this December 2014? Thu Dec 25, 2014 9:17 am

bethk

bethk
Admin

UNCLE JIMMY wrote:
Christmas Eve Dinner.... fish

Lobster / scallops / muscles / clams / shrimp / crab cakes /  mac and cheese.
Salmon / cod / lobster bisque....and crab cakes.... way way too much.

The food was eaten so fast, I was lucky to get some pics of it.

Jimmy....I thought it was the feast of SEVEN fishes. Looks like you got a little carried away there.

But it all looks fabulous. Bet no one was able to move for quite a while.

253Whats for Dinner in this December 2014? - Page 11 Empty Re: Whats for Dinner in this December 2014? Thu Dec 25, 2014 9:20 am

bethk

bethk
Admin

NormM wrote:Our Christmas Eve Dinner

Rib roast with baked new potatoes and cream horseradish sauce

Green beans with bacon vinaigrette

Shrimp Cocktail

Challah bread, (not the burnt one)

Deviled Eggs and raw veggies

WOW! Fabulous meal, Norm ((as usual)). Your bread came out beautiful.

254Whats for Dinner in this December 2014? - Page 11 Empty Re: Whats for Dinner in this December 2014? Thu Dec 25, 2014 10:05 am

NormM

NormM

Looks really good Jimmy. Too bad about the turkey.

Beth, I gave some of the burned bread to the birds then sliced off the crust on the rest and saved it for French bread and croutons/bread crumbs.

http://r2j1cp@gmail.com

255Whats for Dinner in this December 2014? - Page 11 Empty Re: Whats for Dinner in this December 2014? Thu Dec 25, 2014 5:22 pm

Niagara Visitor

We, like most of us lucky enough to live where we do, had way too much food last night. However, there were willing people to take leftovers home.
We had chicken wings, chicken breast, oven roasted potatoes, veggies and dip, cheese ravioly (one vegetarian) seafood chowder, lots of desserts, and a fabulous seafood salad. I think it was Beth who sent me a link for that. WELL, IT TURNED OUT ABSOLUTELY FABULOUS!

Here's how I made it:

Approx. 2,5 lbs mixed seafood, I used jumbo shrimp, scallops, lobster, calamari (all pre-cooked and cold)
Dressing:
1/2 cup mango chutney
1 whole fresh mango cut into bite size chunks
1/4 cup mayo.
1/2 cup chopped fresh watercress
1/2 red bell pepper, small chunks
1/2 orange bell pepper
dash of salt
3 tsp. curry powder.

Mix all dressing ingredients.
Line a pretty bowl with romaine leaves, put seafood in, pour dressing over.
It looked fabulous, there was a bit left over for my lunch today. Definitely a keeper for when special company comes over, for it was not cheap!

256Whats for Dinner in this December 2014? - Page 11 Empty Re: Whats for Dinner in this December 2014? Thu Dec 25, 2014 10:56 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

Oh, wow, Lore ~ I'm SO happy it turned out to be a winner for you.  Sometimes I'll read a recipe and think, "that sounds really good", but, since I've never personally made it, it could be awful.  But when I saw that recipe for curried seafood salad the ingredients seemed to go together so nicely.  I'm really glad you enjoyed it.

We had our Christmas Dinner with Lyn & Bill and 3 others.  Lyn & I had fun playing around with stuff all day....saw a cute folded napkin on the internet and decided to give it a try....we were like a couple kids making crafts!

Whats for Dinner in this December 2014? - Page 11 ChristmasTreeFoldedNapkin

I found Brussel sprouts on the stalk at Fresh Market.  OK, a bit pricier than the precut bagged but they were very fresh and tasty.

Whats for Dinner in this December 2014? - Page 11 StalkofBrusselSprouts

The standing rib roast Lyn THOUGHT weighed 15 pounds....well, turns out I was right the first time.  It weighed just shy of 8 lbs. but the price was $14.99/lb.  Apparently Fresh Market sells PRIME rib roasts for the holiday.  I've never purchased a grade better than 'choice' (and sometimes can only get 'select').  But it truly was a prime cut of beef.  Couldn't have been better.  It's on the table next to a tomato/fresh mozzarella/basil/basalmic salad.

Whats for Dinner in this December 2014? - Page 11 ChristmasDinner2014a

Along with the Brussel sprouts we had green beans, mashed potatoes, plain & mushroom gravy and a gelatin salad.

Whats for Dinner in this December 2014? - Page 11 ChristmasDinner2014b

We did an assortment of cookies/sweets for dessert.  Because of our guests we had sugar free, gluten free and regular cookies.  I had made some of the snowflake cookies to hang and we didn't want to use a tree on the platter so we adapted with a 'mug tree' out of Lyn's storage.  Hokey, I know, but we had fun with it anyway.

Whats for Dinner in this December 2014? - Page 11 DessertTrays

257Whats for Dinner in this December 2014? - Page 11 Empty Re: Whats for Dinner in this December 2014? Thu Dec 25, 2014 11:55 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

bethk wrote:Oh, wow, Lore ~ I'm SO happy it turned out to be a winner for you.  Sometimes I'll read a recipe and think, "that sounds really good", but, since I've never personally made it, it could be awful.  But when I saw that recipe for curried seafood salad the ingredients seemed to go together so nicely.  I'm really glad you enjoyed it.

We had our Christmas Dinner with Lyn & Bill and 3 others.  Lyn & I had fun playing around with stuff all day....saw a cute folded napkin on the internet and decided to give it a try....we were like a couple kids making crafts!

Whats for Dinner in this December 2014? - Page 11 ChristmasTreeFoldedNapkin

I found Brussel sprouts on the stalk at Fresh Market.  OK, a bit pricier than the precut bagged but they were very fresh and tasty.

Whats for Dinner in this December 2014? - Page 11 StalkofBrusselSprouts

The standing rib roast Lyn THOUGHT weighed 15 pounds....well, turns out I was right the first time.  It weighed just shy of 8 lbs. but the price was $14.99/lb.  Apparently Fresh Market sells PRIME rib roasts for the holiday.  I've never purchased a grade better than 'choice' (and sometimes can only get 'select').  But it truly was a prime cut of beef.  Couldn't have been better.  It's on the table next to a tomato/fresh mozzarella/basil/basalmic salad.

Whats for Dinner in this December 2014? - Page 11 ChristmasDinner2014a

Along with the Brussel sprouts we had green beans, mashed potatoes, plain & mushroom gravy and a gelatin salad.

Whats for Dinner in this December 2014? - Page 11 ChristmasDinner2014b

We did an assortment of cookies/sweets for dessert.  Because of our guests we had sugar free, gluten free and regular cookies.  I had made some of the snowflake cookies to hang and we didn't want to use a tree on the platter so we adapted with a 'mug tree' out of Lyn's storage.  Hokey, I know, but we had fun with it anyway.

Whats for Dinner in this December 2014? - Page 11 DessertTrays

The table full of food looks like it was set at the Waldorf Astoria. Marked reserve seating too!! Fancy!! Wow!

The roast looks perfectly done!....

258Whats for Dinner in this December 2014? - Page 11 Empty Re: Whats for Dinner in this December 2014? Fri Dec 26, 2014 12:43 am

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

The Christmas Dinner is all in the past now! ... It all came together on time even though the girls were here to help prepare the vegetables; but they were here late, and were more interested in opening gifts to and from each other!....

I picked up the slack, and was so engrossed in getting the dinner to function, I did not even notice the kids drag in the house and assemble MY own electric operated EZ chair. They all chipped in, and got that for me.

Dinner went well; .... turkey breast came out great, and no one complained.
We had a standing rib roast for the first time. ( DD and DIL were wishing for it )
We did a small 4 lb one, and it came out fabulous. Tina had it removed from the bone, and then the bones retied to the roast so it could be roasted bone -in but then I just pulled off the bone, and didn't have to cut in between the ribs to slice it. They all enjoyed it.

No pics.... shamefully! ... It all happened so fast! Booom! and it was over 1... 2... 3...

Now! Dealing with the leftovers!...

259Whats for Dinner in this December 2014? - Page 11 Empty Re: Whats for Dinner in this December 2014? Fri Dec 26, 2014 7:53 am

bethk

bethk
Admin

Sounds like another fabulous meal at the house in New Jersey! Aren't those pre-cut-off-the-bone rib roasts wonderful? Just put it in the oven, check for temperature and let it rest. Nothing to do with it but slice and eat.

It's great when I cook at Lyn's (she has a gorgous, big kitchen) ~ I get to do the cooking and still have one or two 'sous chefs' to help dish up at just the right moment. When I was slicing the roast Carrol was dishing up the vegetables and Lyn was taking food to the table. The meal was a true joint effort and it came together with perfect timing (and no glitches for a change). That always gives me a real sense of accomplishment.

Lyn really does set a beautiful table. She has wonderful holiday china and loves to go the extra mile with a lovely centerpiece and place cards. She loved the idea of the folded tree napkins and immediately pulled out green and white napkins when I got there. She wanted to get the iron and ironing board out but I convinced her they were fine without that extra effort! LOL

260Whats for Dinner in this December 2014? - Page 11 Empty Re: Whats for Dinner in this December 2014? Fri Dec 26, 2014 10:49 am

Niagara Visitor

It sounds like everyone had enough food! I know we did.

261Whats for Dinner in this December 2014? - Page 11 Empty Re: Whats for Dinner in this December 2014? Fri Dec 26, 2014 5:54 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

bethk wrote:Sounds like another fabulous meal at the house in New Jersey!  Aren't those pre-cut-off-the-bone rib roasts wonderful?  Just put it in the oven, check for temperature and let it rest.  Nothing to do with it but slice and eat.

It's great when I cook at Lyn's (she has a gorgous, big kitchen) ~ I get to do the cooking and still have one or two 'sous chefs' to help dish up at just the right moment.  When I was slicing the roast Carrol was dishing up the vegetables and Lyn was taking food to the table.  The meal was a true joint effort and it came together with perfect timing (and no glitches for a change).  That always gives me a real sense of accomplishment.

Lyn really does set a beautiful table.  She has wonderful holiday china and loves to go the extra mile with a lovely centerpiece and place cards.  She loved the idea of the folded tree napkins and immediately pulled out green and white napkins when I got there.  She wanted to get the iron and ironing board out but I convinced her they were fine without that extra effort!  LOL

Good to hear all was in cadence with the meal on the table.
At least you were able to just sit and enjoy / even though the baby's ( the men; including like me ) had to be waited on!...

This was a first....We ate on square SOLO Red and Green Plastic Plates; instead of the traditional China and silverware. Even using that, the dishwasher was in operation with three loads of other stuff!
Garbage and wrapping boxes were overflowing, but three contractor bags were filled, and DD took them up to the farm to burn them in the burn pit.
NJ has a no open burn law, but does not apply to farms. Although they buy a special permit to do so.

I'm sure the food was cooked to perfection Beth! It's great to have good help and someone who has interest to get things set out to make the efforts worth while!

262Whats for Dinner in this December 2014? - Page 11 Empty Re: Whats for Dinner in this December 2014? Fri Dec 26, 2014 6:33 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

I wanted something comforting tonight.....decided to go to the store and get a fresh chicken to roast on the vertical roaster. There was a nice organic one with a sale price that was cleaner looking (no yellow skin or cut skin) than I've seen in a while. When I have a whole chicken I want the skin to be as flawless as possible ~ and NO missing or broken wings. I do NOT want to roast an abused bird!

I've got some little fingerling potatoes to roast and some asparagus ((big, fat ones!)) I picked up when I saw it on sale at Fresh Market the other day. Love the ones that are large enough to peel.

263Whats for Dinner in this December 2014? - Page 11 Empty Re: Whats for Dinner in this December 2014? Fri Dec 26, 2014 7:18 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

bethk wrote:I wanted something comforting tonight.....decided to go to the store and get a fresh chicken to roast on the vertical roaster.  There was a nice organic one with a sale price that was cleaner looking (no yellow skin or cut skin) than I've seen in a while.  When I have a whole chicken I want the skin to be as flawless as possible ~ and NO missing or broken wings.  I do NOT want to roast an abused bird!

I've got some little fingerling potatoes to roast and some asparagus ((big, fat ones!)) I picked up when I saw it on sale at Fresh Market the other day.  Love the ones that are large enough to peel.

Save the crippled birds for me Beth... I use them for target practice. LOL

The turkey breast I cooked yesterday, had this huge 6 inch strip of skin, tucked inside a hole. I pulled it out and the darn thing was black / purple looking.
I cut the darn thing off. Tina said, that's how they add weight to ring up more.

264Whats for Dinner in this December 2014? - Page 11 Empty Re: Whats for Dinner in this December 2014? Fri Dec 26, 2014 8:36 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

Here's my vertical roasted chicken.....all the fat drains off and ends up in the pan below:

Whats for Dinner in this December 2014? - Page 11 VerticalRoastedChicken

Dinner of roasted chicken ((MY wings)), roasted fingerling potatoes and asparagus:

Whats for Dinner in this December 2014? - Page 11 122614

265Whats for Dinner in this December 2014? - Page 11 Empty Re: Whats for Dinner in this December 2014? Fri Dec 26, 2014 8:41 pm

NormM

NormM

I tried a new for me recipe today. I didn't take any pictures but here is the recipe. The store didn't have anise or 5 spice so I used fennel. I didn't use all the beef broth in the recipe and didn't add water until the liquid had cooked down for a couple of hours.

Plum-Spiced Beef Brisket
From Country Living
Our Plum-Spiced Beef Brisket requires only that the meat be browned and then stewed with sweet dried plums, the licorice flavor of star anise, and a touch of cider vinegar. Serve the finished dish of meltingly tender beef and its accompanying rich sauce over a bed of egg noodles, fettuccine, or white rice -- whichever you have on hand in the kitchen cupboard. Fresh or frozen vegetables -- the carrots in your refrigerator bin, for example -- are all you need to round out this meal.
--

Steven Randazzo
Serves: 8

Ingredients
3 tablespoon(s) toasted sesame oil
3 1/2 pound(s) beef brisket, trimmed
2 teaspoon(s) salt
1 teaspoon(s) fresh ground pepper
4 can(s) (12 ounces each) low-sodium beef broth
2 cup(s) (finely chopped) dried plums
1/2 cup(s) Worcestershire sauce
1/2 cup(s) low-sodium soy sauce
6 clove(s) garlic, minced
2 tablespoon(s) finely chopped ginger
2 tablespoon(s) dark brown sugar
2 tablespoon(s) apple-cider vinegar
1 teaspoon(s) five-spice powder
1/2 teaspoon(s) crushed red pepper
Directions
Preheat oven to 325 degrees F. Heat the sesame oil in a large Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Season the meat with salt and pepper and brown in the heated oil. Add the remaining ingredients and 2 cups water and bring to a boil. Cover, transfer to the oven, and cook for four hours, turning the brisket once every hour. Serve shredded brisket with cooking liquid.

266Whats for Dinner in this December 2014? - Page 11 Empty Re: Whats for Dinner in this December 2014? Fri Dec 26, 2014 8:49 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

That's a lot of Worchestershire sauce and soy sauce, especially after it cooks down....but I'll just bet the meat was 'fall apart' tender!

Sounds good to me.

267Whats for Dinner in this December 2014? - Page 11 Empty Re: Whats for Dinner in this December 2014? Fri Dec 26, 2014 9:29 pm

Bugster2

Bugster2

How was it?

268Whats for Dinner in this December 2014? - Page 11 Empty Re: Whats for Dinner in this December 2014? Fri Dec 26, 2014 11:29 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Looks delicious Norm~

The vinegar they say really tenderizes the meat.

BTW.... it just came to me! ... Remember that Adolf's Meat Tenderizer Powdered stuff in a can?
OMG, my mom used to sprinkle that stuff on the toughest steak cuts, and she and her sisters swore it tenderized the meat.

Meanwhile... there was poor Jimmy and Richard chewing and chewing and chewing, and brother crying because he could not swallow it. That meat dried all the saliva out of our mouths.
It was like having to swally a ball of cotton!

269Whats for Dinner in this December 2014? - Page 11 Empty Re: Whats for Dinner in this December 2014? Fri Dec 26, 2014 11:33 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

bethk wrote:Here's my vertical roasted chicken.....all the fat drains off and ends up in the pan below:

Whats for Dinner in this December 2014? - Page 11 VerticalRoastedChicken

Dinner of roasted chicken ((MY wings)), roasted fingerling potatoes and asparagus:

Whats for Dinner in this December 2014? - Page 11 122614
I see ya got yer wing portion Beth.
Do you know, we have those racks to vertical roast a chicken, and we never yet did one. Tina did do a beer can chicken once, but I forgot the outcome on that one!

270Whats for Dinner in this December 2014? - Page 11 Empty Re: Whats for Dinner in this December 2014? Fri Dec 26, 2014 11:59 pm

Niagara Visitor

I just said goodnight to my dinner guests. Hubby's sister and boyfriend came from Toronto, so I also asked Robin who lived in my house for a few months before I sold it, and she comes with her beautiful yellow lab, called Mellow. She's allowed to visit here in the building, but normally residents can only have a dog, max. weight 22 lbs. Mellow is definitely more. Once in a while I need a dog fix, and Mellow fits the bill.

Oh, what did we have for dinner? I made oven roasted potatoes, some carrots, some pickeral my son caught, did that in my grill pan. I overcooked it a bit, but no one complained. My sister had given me a care package yesterday of some of her delicious spanakopita, and two pieces of French Canadian tortierre, both delicious!

271Whats for Dinner in this December 2014? - Page 11 Empty Re: Whats for Dinner in this December 2014? Sat Dec 27, 2014 12:00 am

NormM

NormM

It was good bugster.

272Whats for Dinner in this December 2014? - Page 11 Empty Re: Whats for Dinner in this December 2014? Sat Dec 27, 2014 12:18 am

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Niagara Visitor wrote:I just said goodnight to my dinner guests. Hubby's sister and boyfriend came from Toronto, so I also asked Robin who lived in my house for a few months before I sold it, and she comes with her beautiful yellow lab, called Mellow.  She's allowed to visit here in the building, but normally residents can only have a dog, max. weight 22 lbs.  Mellow is definitely more.  Once in a while I need a dog fix, and Mellow fits the bill.  

Oh, what did we have for dinner?  I made oven roasted potatoes, some carrots, some pickeral my son caught, did that in my grill pan.  I overcooked it a bit, but no one complained.  My sister had given me a care package yesterday of some of her delicious spanakopita, and two pieces of French Canadian tortierre, both delicious!

Great that you had a great time Lore!
Nice that you got to get that dog fix!... Maybe, you should get a little dog?

273Whats for Dinner in this December 2014? - Page 11 Empty Re: Whats for Dinner in this December 2014? Sat Dec 27, 2014 12:41 am

Imelda HL

Imelda HL

Everybody's Christmas dinner meals sound good and delicious... we spent our Christmas with my in-laws.. she cooked ham, green bean casserole, some salads, fresh baked rolls.. not much, because it was only the 5 of us and they have to watch their diets..

today I went to buy a big chunk of ham, now I'm baking half of it, and boiling the other half with bone, I'm going to add some bean on the soup.. for tomorrow

for our dinner, today I made some fresh Ravioli with cream cheese, spicy sausage, green onion and chive, boiled them and baked them with Ragu sauce.. it turned out so so good, I bked 2 loaves of Italian bread to eat with... I packed the leftover in 2 individual bags and freeze them.. for my DH while I'm away for my vacation.. I'm going to visit my Mom next month
cheers

Whats for Dinner in this December 2014? - Page 11 Ravioli

Last edited by Imelda HL on Sat Dec 27, 2014 2:26 am; edited 1 time in total

274Whats for Dinner in this December 2014? - Page 11 Empty Re: Whats for Dinner in this December 2014? Sat Dec 27, 2014 1:07 am

Niagara Visitor

No more pets for me.  I see the people here in the building that take their little ankle biters (small dogs) out for a pee or whatever.  I like the fact that I can lock my door and leave for a couple of days without worrying about animals. I like big dogs, and if I feel I need to have more of a dog fix, I'll volunteer at the local animal shelter.  Don't want a cat either. I surely do not want to deal with a litter box in a condo. I know pets are company. Been there, done that with many of them.  I want independent living now.

P.S. If I need a quick dog fix, I have a key to Robin and Mellow's place, I can take her for a walk any time.

275Whats for Dinner in this December 2014? - Page 11 Empty Re: Whats for Dinner in this December 2014? Sat Dec 27, 2014 2:25 am

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Niagara Visitor wrote:No more pets for me.  I see the people here in the building that take their little ankle biters (small dogs) out for a pee or whatever.  I like the fact that I can lock my door and leave for a couple of days without worrying about animals. I like big dogs, and if I feel I need to have more of a dog fix, I'll volunteer at the local animal shelter.  Don't want a cat either. I surely do not want to deal with a litter box in a condo. I know pets are company. Been there, done that with many of them.  I want independent living now.

P.S.  If I need a quick dog fix, I have a key to Robin and Mellow's place, I can take her for a walk any time.

Yeah! So right!... they are work. Especially in a condo.
Nice that you can visit the dog at Robin and Mellow's place!

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 11 of 13]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12, 13  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum