Cooking Friends
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Cooking Friends

Friends sharing recipes, cooking techniques & menu ideas in a friendly atmosphere.

You are not connected. Please login or register

AUGUST 2018; Whats for dinner?

+3
bethk
Niagara Visitor
UNCLE JIMMY
7 posters

Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 9]

1AUGUST 2018; Whats for dinner? Empty AUGUST 2018; Whats for dinner? Wed Aug 01, 2018 12:06 am

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

I'm a rough eater. Simple food for Simple Me. Neutral
The humidity is going to ramp up again; starting tomorrow!

I'm thinking ummmm.... pasta shells with zucchini?
Fried Peppers and egg sandwiches with Provolone cheese.?

Fried Italian seasoned thin sliced steak, with basil, oregano, and garlic , and the other option would be, chicken fried steaks; with mashed potatoes and gggg - gravy. Italian Flat Beans cooked and braised in tomatoes, and onions in olive oil....

2AUGUST 2018; Whats for dinner? Empty Re: AUGUST 2018; Whats for dinner? Wed Aug 01, 2018 9:47 am

Niagara Visitor

For me, today and tomorrow it's eat up what will spoil while I am gone.  Leaving for Whitehorse (Yukon) on Friday to visit a friend from B&B days.  I am so excited, have never been that far north.  I plan to drive to Skagway see how they lived in the gold rush days!  Weather looks like it's not going to co-operate too much, rain the first few days, and temperatures only in the low 60s............... but that's better than extreme heat. 

My friend runs the Takhini hot springs, so I'll be sitting in there lots!

3AUGUST 2018; Whats for dinner? Empty Re: AUGUST 2018; Whats for dinner? Wed Aug 01, 2018 12:12 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

Oh, my, Lore.....sounds like a wonderful trip. Be careful and take breaks often just to stretch your legs.

By the way, if you happen to find some gold nuggets it would really be a FUN TRIP! LOL

Last edited by bethk on Wed Aug 01, 2018 12:19 pm; edited 1 time in total

4AUGUST 2018; Whats for dinner? Empty Re: AUGUST 2018; Whats for dinner? Wed Aug 01, 2018 12:17 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

Oh, man, Jimmy......I'm still hungry for the zucchini cake with cream cheese frosting you mentioned. Jake asked for zucchini muffins but I have nothing to bake with...very limited supplies and equipment. Ah, well, I'll make them for him when he comes to visit us.

5AUGUST 2018; Whats for dinner? Empty Re: AUGUST 2018; Whats for dinner? Wed Aug 01, 2018 1:42 pm

Niagara Visitor

bethk wrote:Oh, my, Lore.....sounds like a wonderful trip. Be careful and take breaks often just to stretch your legs.

By the way, if you happen to find some gold nuggets it would really be a FUN TRIP!  LOL

I'm flying, Toronto to Vancouver, then on to Whitehorse.  I will have a rental car while there, not driving all the way.  That would be a very, very long drive!

6AUGUST 2018; Whats for dinner? Empty Re: AUGUST 2018; Whats for dinner? Wed Aug 01, 2018 3:34 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Niagara Visitor wrote:
bethk wrote:Oh, my, Lore.....sounds like a wonderful trip. Be careful and take breaks often just to stretch your legs.

By the way, if you happen to find some gold nuggets it would really be a FUN TRIP!  LOL

I'm flying, Toronto to Vancouver, then on to Whitehorse.  I will have a rental car while there, not driving all the way.  That would be a very, very long drive!

Hey Lore!.... think of this! ... If you strike it rich, you will be able to buy your own plane; so don't forget to pack a shovel! haahahahah

7AUGUST 2018; Whats for dinner? Empty Re: AUGUST 2018; Whats for dinner? Wed Aug 01, 2018 6:56 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

Soft tacos for supper. The local Kroger store had a Mission soft flour tortilla I had not seen before. Little round 'street taco' size. Decided to try them. Sorry I did. They are small but thick no somewhat tough. Probably better to use as a hand held taco but we didn't care for them. We ate them but I won't be buying any to take back home with me. Made some guacamole to go with the meal.

8AUGUST 2018; Whats for dinner? Empty Re: AUGUST 2018; Whats for dinner? Wed Aug 01, 2018 8:11 pm

NormM

NormM

Dinner was made especially for Charlie. It's Korean chicken wings with a sticky sweet ginger sauce. The candle on the cake was musical. It plays Happy Birthday

AUGUST 2018; Whats for dinner? 20180810
AUGUST 2018; Whats for dinner? 20180811

http://r2j1cp@gmail.com

9AUGUST 2018; Whats for dinner? Empty Re: AUGUST 2018; Whats for dinner? Wed Aug 01, 2018 8:54 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Happy Birthday Charlie....

NORM... those wings are massively delicious looking.

10AUGUST 2018; Whats for dinner? Empty Re: AUGUST 2018; Whats for dinner? Wed Aug 01, 2018 9:31 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Supper.... I breaded the steaks after tenderizing them with the hammer.

Tina made the potatoes, and beans, and the gravy was the golden mushroom soup from the can.

AUGUST 2018; Whats for dinner? Img_1036

11AUGUST 2018; Whats for dinner? Empty Re: AUGUST 2018; Whats for dinner? Wed Aug 01, 2018 9:39 pm

NormM

NormM

Thanks Jimmy. They were sweet and crispy outside.

12AUGUST 2018; Whats for dinner? Empty Re: AUGUST 2018; Whats for dinner? Wed Aug 01, 2018 9:43 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

Looking good, guys!

13AUGUST 2018; Whats for dinner? Empty Re: AUGUST 2018; Whats for dinner? Thu Aug 02, 2018 12:48 am

Bugster2

Bugster2

I really don't know where the Yukon's are but it sounds exciting. A soak in the springs sounds great especially since it is so cool up there. Does it ever get hot?.

Today, Joe drove Katie and I back to Lake Forest for doctors appointments. She had some hand surgery on a tendon and I went to see if my kidney's and liver were ok. Doc said not to worry. I hope he is right. We then went to Macaroni Grill for lunch. I was very disappointed. The restaurant smelled like a rancid wood cutting board. Joe and Katie couldn't smell it. I ordered a half sandwich and pasta and couldn't eat either one because they were loaded with red pepper. Joe's Italian salad was the same way. I won't go back. It was in the 90's when we went back to the car and found that the air conditioner had quit. It was a miserable drive home. I was so hot I thought I was going to have to have Joe find a store that I could cool off in. When we got home I jumped in the pool with all my clothes on.

14AUGUST 2018; Whats for dinner? Empty Re: AUGUST 2018; Whats for dinner? Thu Aug 02, 2018 9:24 am

NormM

NormM

Yukon is east of Alaska. In 1955, Quaker Oats traded a box top to their cereal for a square inch deed of land to the Yukon. 11 years later the government repossessed the land due to unpaid back taxes and turned the almost 20 acres into a golf course. I had one of those deeds.

15AUGUST 2018; Whats for dinner? Empty Re: AUGUST 2018; Whats for dinner? Thu Aug 02, 2018 11:23 am

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Bugster2 wrote:I really don't know where the Yukon's are but it sounds exciting. A soak in the springs sounds great especially since it is so cool up there. Does it ever get hot?.

Today, Joe drove Katie and I back to Lake Forest for doctors appointments. She had some hand surgery on a tendon and I went to see if my kidney's and liver were ok. Doc said not to worry. I hope he is right. We then went to Macaroni Grill for lunch. I was very disappointed. The restaurant smelled like a rancid wood cutting board. Joe and Katie couldn't smell it. I ordered a half sandwich and pasta and couldn't eat either one because they were loaded with red pepper. Joe's Italian salad was the same way. I won't go back. It was in the 90's when we went back to the car and found that the air conditioner had quit. It was a miserable drive home. I was so hot I thought I was going to have to have Joe find a store that I could cool off in. When we got home I jumped in the pool with all my clothes on.

Glad your innards are in good working order Debbie.
I had to laugh when you mentioned the rancid cutting board.
My mom had a wood board, that was so worn, it was thinner in the center, than the outer portion. It was just carved away, and it was rancid sometimes. Mom would sometimes soak it in bleach water, and then scrub it with a bristle brush. I could still smell it though!
Smelled like garlic juice and chicken blood!
We bought her new cutting boards, but she never used them. She said, the old board was worn in. Rolling Eyes

Stay Cool !

16AUGUST 2018; Whats for dinner? Empty Re: AUGUST 2018; Whats for dinner? Thu Aug 02, 2018 5:30 pm

Bugster2

Bugster2

I had a great surprise this morning. I went outside in the backyard about 6AM and looked up and saw this enormous hot air balloon about two blocks away hovering in the sky. It was really something watching the pilot use the fire to heat the balloon. I will never get in one though after my friend had her accident in one but it was a pretty sight.
I think I will let everyone fend for themselves tonight for dinner. We have some leftovers and deli meat that needs to get eaten.

17AUGUST 2018; Whats for dinner? Empty Re: AUGUST 2018; Whats for dinner? Thu Aug 02, 2018 6:02 pm

NormM

NormM

We are going to my sisters house for dinner tonight. Her husband, myself and Charlie all have birthdays a couple weeks apart and the dinner is for all of us.  She said she was going to have Cornish hens.

I once bought a house that was left largely furnished, including pictures on the wall including one with hot air balloons and one of them had MATTHEWS across it. Matthews is my last name.

PS I just  went to the basement to see if I still had that poster and I found it. Here it is.  The Matthews balloon is in the bottom right corner.
AUGUST 2018; Whats for dinner? 20180813

18AUGUST 2018; Whats for dinner? Empty Re: AUGUST 2018; Whats for dinner? Thu Aug 02, 2018 7:05 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

Cool, Norm! The best I've ever found was a picture of a garbage truck with "KELLER, INC." in bold letters on the side. Needless to say, I didn't buy it.......

Tonight was FINALLY grilled steak. I just marinated a top round steak I got from the 'scratch and dent' mark down area at Kroger. I made fried beans & corn to go with it....and neither of us missed the potato.

The marinade was an oldie but goodie, been making it for years:

BEEF BEER MARINADE

1 Can Beer (less two swallows)
4 Tbsp. Orange Marmalade
1 tsp. Ground Ginger
1 Tbsp. Ground Mustard
3 Tbsp. Soy Sauce
2 Tbsp. Sugar

Mix dry spices with marmalade, stir in soy & sugar....finally stir in beer. Stir to dissolve sugar.
Marinate 3 hours or overnight.

19AUGUST 2018; Whats for dinner? Empty Re: AUGUST 2018; Whats for dinner? Thu Aug 02, 2018 9:16 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Supper .... Simple!

AUGUST 2018; Whats for dinner? Img_1037

20AUGUST 2018; Whats for dinner? Empty Re: AUGUST 2018; Whats for dinner? Fri Aug 03, 2018 8:48 am

Niagara Visitor

Bugster2 wrote:I really don't know where the Yukon's are but it sounds exciting. A soak in the springs sounds great especially since it is so cool up there. Does it ever get hot?.

Yes, it gets really hot occasionally.  Daytime temperatures the next few days will be about 70 F, in the last few weeks they have been really high 85-90 F.  70F is great for me for being a tourist.  I'd rather need a sweater than dripping with sweat.

21AUGUST 2018; Whats for dinner? Empty Re: AUGUST 2018; Whats for dinner? Fri Aug 03, 2018 1:11 pm

Bugster2

Bugster2

Isn't that the truth. I don't tolerate extremes in temp in either direction. I can be 60 degrees out and Joe is in a t-shirt, shorts and sandals. Katie lives in tank tops. When the A/C is on and it gets cold I put on a sweatshirt. I am most comfortable in the 60 to 80 range.

22AUGUST 2018; Whats for dinner? Empty Re: AUGUST 2018; Whats for dinner? Fri Aug 03, 2018 8:10 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

Burgers on the grill and wonderful potato salad.

Getting closer to calling the realtor....just want to go home.

23AUGUST 2018; Whats for dinner? Empty Re: AUGUST 2018; Whats for dinner? Fri Aug 03, 2018 8:22 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Simple ez supper.
Zucchini cubed and fried; with macaroni. No seasonings other than salt.
1 spear of  garlic at the end microplaned and stirred while reheating after draining the macaroni.....

AUGUST 2018; Whats for dinner? Img_1038

24AUGUST 2018; Whats for dinner? Empty Re: AUGUST 2018; Whats for dinner? Sat Aug 04, 2018 11:45 am

Bugster2

Bugster2

bethk wrote:Burgers on the grill and wonderful potato salad.

Having just gone through what you are going through: you have my deepest sympathies.

25AUGUST 2018; Whats for dinner? Empty Re: AUGUST 2018; Whats for dinner? Sat Aug 04, 2018 12:39 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Bugster2 wrote:
bethk wrote:Burgers on the grill and wonderful potato salad.

Having just gone through what you are going through: you have my deepest sympathies.

We had it too with the house we sold before we moved into this one.
They jerked around with the closing date, and then the closing time; all because the lawyer was late.
Then the people inspected the home again the morning before the closing, and said the crawl space had trash in it, and they would not close until the trash was removed.
The trash was actually spare shingles for in case of repair / spare wood moulding trim in case needed. Spare ceiling tile and floor tiles.
I explained that....but the lady was a bixxh ! NO NO she said. I don't want it....
I had to call a friend to clean it out ( took like 30 minutes ) and place it at the curb for pick up on garbage day.
Then we were able to sign.

It's all different today. When Tina sold the uncles house, she didn't have to be there at the closing if she didn't want to be there. They have a closing attorney, and all we would do is sign a paper to use that method.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 9]

Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum