Cooking Friends
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Cooking Friends

Friends sharing recipes, cooking techniques & menu ideas in a friendly atmosphere.

You are not connected. Please login or register

September 2016, Whats for Dinner??

+5
bethk
Crybaby
Imelda HL
cookingirl
1DomesticGoddess
9 posters

Go to page : 1, 2, 3 ... 8 ... 16  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 16]

1September 2016, Whats for Dinner?? Empty September 2016, Whats for Dinner?? Thu Sep 01, 2016 10:37 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Today we had the soup for Tina and GD.
I had burgers on toast, and pickles on the side.

2September 2016, Whats for Dinner?? Empty Re: September 2016, Whats for Dinner?? Fri Sep 02, 2016 7:37 am

bethk

bethk
Admin

Thanks for starting a new month "What's for Dinner" thread, Jimmy.

Pretty sad I'M the one who posted a pic of my meal in the old month.....I didn't even think about it being a new month!  LOL

September 2016, Whats for Dinner?? IMG_20160901_172547018_HDR

(Repeat pic ~ placed in the correct month)

3September 2016, Whats for Dinner?? Empty Re: September 2016, Whats for Dinner?? Fri Sep 02, 2016 11:45 am

Bugster2

Bugster2

Dinner was not good. I tried a new recipe for chicken divan. The broccoli turned to mush. Won't be making that one again. My whole kitchen stinks like a ripe garbage can this morning. The leftover broccoli from last night made its' presence known this morning and I couldn't get the bag out fast enough.
I just found out my next door neighbor is babysitting one of his kids baby pot-bellied pigs. I hope it is still there 'cause I want to see it.
I am going to be house-sitting for two weeks starting at the end of next week. My sister and her husband have been invited to stay at a farm in Tuscany. Then they are going to visit a few other countries while over there. I get to feed her cats, clean out her pantry, clean cat boxes paint touch-up all on the water-front. I think I may go insane living in a place that isn't mine for so long. On the other hand, I don't have to cook dinners. I am not sure what I will eat. I guess it will be two weeks of sandwiches. I can't wait to hear how Katie and Joe make out for meals while I am gone. Probably sandwiches and fast food.
My sister owns a house across the bay that they are planning to remodel and move into. The thing is on the waterfront and is huge - about 6000 sqft. It has a pool on the front deck. It needs a lot of work though. I was looking at her plans and found out she is going to put in an elevator. What a luxury! She is also turning a maids room that is next to the kitchen into a huge walk-in pantry. There is also this really strange thing in the kitchen: it looks like a row of floor to ceiling cabinets but when you open the doors it is revolving shelves that go up, around, down and up again. I think I would pull it out.

4September 2016, Whats for Dinner?? Empty Re: September 2016, Whats for Dinner?? Fri Sep 02, 2016 12:46 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Bugster2 wrote:Dinner was not good. I tried a new recipe for chicken divan. The broccoli turned to mush. Won't be making that one again. My whole kitchen stinks like a ripe garbage can this morning. The leftover broccoli from last night made its' presence known this morning and I couldn't get the bag out fast enough.
I just found out my next door neighbor is babysitting one of his kids baby pot-bellied pigs. I hope it is still there 'cause I want to see it.
I am going to be house-sitting for two weeks starting at the end of next week. My sister and her husband have been invited to stay at a farm in Tuscany. Then they are going to visit a few other countries while over there. I get to feed her cats, clean out her pantry, clean cat boxes paint touch-up all on the water-front. I think I may go insane living in a place that isn't mine for so long. On the other hand, I don't have to cook dinners. I am not sure what I will eat. I guess it will be two weeks of sandwiches. I can't wait to hear how Katie and Joe make out for meals while I am gone. Probably sandwiches and fast food.
My sister owns a house across the bay that they are planning to remodel and move into. The thing is on the waterfront and is huge - about 6000 sqft. It has a pool on the front deck. It needs a lot of work though. I was looking at her plans and found out she is going to put in an elevator. What a luxury! She is also turning a maids room that is next to the kitchen into a huge walk-in pantry. There is also this really strange thing in the kitchen: it looks like a row of floor to ceiling cabinets but when you open the doors it is revolving shelves that go up, around, down and up again. I think I would pull it out.

Sounds like you will have a good time, and a mini- vacation for yourself.
....Hopefully!

5September 2016, Whats for Dinner?? Empty Re: September 2016, Whats for Dinner?? Fri Sep 02, 2016 12:53 pm

Bugster2

Bugster2

It sounds like pure hell to me Jimmy.

6September 2016, Whats for Dinner?? Empty Re: September 2016, Whats for Dinner?? Fri Sep 02, 2016 1:09 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Bugster2 wrote:It sounds like pure hell to me Jimmy.

I her ya! That's why I said Hopefully.
As for myself, I don't mind a visit to something, or someone; but as long as I can be in my own house at night.
Ther's No Place Like Home! ....( for me anyway )

7September 2016, Whats for Dinner?? Empty Re: September 2016, Whats for Dinner?? Fri Sep 02, 2016 7:02 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

Used the leftover Italian beef roast (that got simmered in the juices for 2 or 3 additional hours just to be able to shred) for one of our favorites....Italian Beef Sandwiches. Toasted sub buns with moz slices melted on top & then topped with the hot and juicy beef. Yum. Made sweet potato toaster oven baked 'fries' and our other favorite veg ~ baby limas!

September 2016, Whats for Dinner?? IMG_20160902_173332271

8September 2016, Whats for Dinner?? Empty Re: September 2016, Whats for Dinner?? Fri Sep 02, 2016 7:07 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

Bugs ~ you have to decide to make your house sitting into an adventure. Get a little bell and then set yourself up by the pool and when you want a refill on your iced tea or whatever, ring your bell and wait for the 'maid' to bring you a fresh one.

Of course, the down side is, every time you ring the bell you have to jump up from the lounge chair and then ask yourself, "what can I bring you, Miss?" Then, sit down again and look up (where you were standing) and say, "I'd like another tea, please."

If you're the only one there no one will know you're crazy as a loon.....and you get to play the 'Lady of the House' as well as the 'maid'.

9September 2016, Whats for Dinner?? Empty Re: September 2016, Whats for Dinner?? Fri Sep 02, 2016 7:33 pm

Crybaby

Crybaby

Bugster2 wrote:It sounds like pure hell to me Jimmy.

Yeah, two weeks is a long time. How far away from your house is it, Bug?

10September 2016, Whats for Dinner?? Empty Re: September 2016, Whats for Dinner?? Fri Sep 02, 2016 7:39 pm

Crybaby

Crybaby

bethk wrote:Used the leftover Italian beef roast (that got simmered in the juices for 2 or 3 additional hours just to be able to shred) for one of our favorites....Italian Beef Sandwiches.  Toasted sub buns with moz slices melted on top & then topped with the hot and juicy beef.  Yum.  Made sweet potato toaster oven baked 'fries' and our other favorite veg ~ baby limas!

We love lima beans, too, Beth. I make ours with bacon and sautéed onions; is that how you do it as well? Down here, people make them as a main dish, too, with a ham bone. You cook them down really well and then serve them over rice. Delicious!

11September 2016, Whats for Dinner?? Empty Re: September 2016, Whats for Dinner?? Fri Sep 02, 2016 7:48 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

Nah, the Northern way.....frozen baby limas, simmered until just tender. Butter and s&p.

We just like 'em.

12September 2016, Whats for Dinner?? Empty Re: September 2016, Whats for Dinner?? Fri Sep 02, 2016 7:55 pm

Crybaby

Crybaby

Uncle Jimmy wrote:Ther's No Place Like Home! ....( for me anyway )

Yeah, it's true for us, too, especially at this age, Jimmy. Brian usually makes it one night and then says he wishes he was home. Of course, that's usually when we're staying with someone. It didn't happen when we were on vacation (grin) so I guess it was staying with family that got to us (bigger grin)!!

When Brian had to travel occasionally for work (a couple of nights here and there to attend a convention of some sort for work, only every few years or so), he absolutely hated it. Before he left town, he'd always be telling me not to be shocked if he quit and just came home if he was miserable. And he was never laughing or joking when he said it either!

When I was in advertising, I had to travel a lot of the time, mostly to Florida, Georgia and Alabama -- where we had clients or to a convention or meeting. I hated it, too, but Brian really despised it and would start whining about it a week before I had to leave. When you're young (and stupid), you think traveling will be exciting and you will meet interesting people on the plane or while having a drink in the hotel bar prior to calling it a night. NOT!!! I can just imagine how much worse it must be today with all the airport security and the lines and the hassle of standing in line, packing your suitcase in the correct way, 3-oz. containers of liquid, being picked to be "wanded," taking off and putting your shoes back on, and even smaller airplane seats than existed when I had to travel.

13September 2016, Whats for Dinner?? Empty Re: September 2016, Whats for Dinner?? Fri Sep 02, 2016 7:56 pm

Crybaby

Crybaby

bethk wrote:Nah, the Northern way.....frozen baby limas, simmered until just tender.  Butter and s&p.

We just like 'em.

I wouldn't turn away from a plate of those either!

14September 2016, Whats for Dinner?? Empty Re: September 2016, Whats for Dinner?? Fri Sep 02, 2016 8:11 pm

Bugster2

Bugster2

Her house across the bay has tenants in it so I can't use the pool. I won't swim in the bay 'cause I don't know what is in there with me. She does have a Jacuzzi I can use. My sister will be gone from the 8th of September to the 28th.
Tonight I am making a copycat Macaroni Grill shrimp and pasta recipe. Hope it is better than last night's mush.

15September 2016, Whats for Dinner?? Empty Re: September 2016, Whats for Dinner?? Fri Sep 02, 2016 8:34 pm

Crybaby

Crybaby

Last night we had Peach Chicken. I saw a recipe online for Apricot Chicken and revised it a bit. It was absolutely delicious and I got to use nice fresh in-season peaches. It called for 2 teaspoons of Tabasco but I was nervous it would be too hot for Brian so I used 1-1/2 teaspoons, which was perfect. It was mildly spicy and had a slight little bite to it that was delicious. He loved it, too.

I'm posting the recipe in case any of you want to try it or revise it for your own use. It was really very, very good and we will indeed make it again.

Peach Chicken
Serves 6 / Recipe revised from one online for apricot chicken

1-1/2 pounds peaches (I used 5 good sized peaches), peeled, pits
removed, and roughly chopped
1/3 cup peach preserves
2 Tablespoons cider vinegar
2 pounds boneless skinless chicken thighs (I used 6 of these), cut into
1 to 2-inch pieces (you could use chicken breast pieces if you prefer)
Kosher salt
1 or 2 Tablespoons unsalted butter
2 Tablespoons olive oil
1 chopped onion
2 cups chicken stock or broth
2- to 3-inch sprig of fresh rosemary
1 teaspoon five-spice powder
2 teaspoons Tabasco or other hot sauce (you can add more if you like)
Freshly ground black pepper

1. Place the chopped peaches in a large bowl. Stir in the peach preserves and the vinegar. Let sit while you brown the chicken in the next step.
2. In a large sauté pan, heat 1 tablespoon of the butter and 1 tablespoon of olive oil over medium-high heat. Working in batches (and adding another Tablespoon of butter with the next batch if necessary), place chicken pieces in the pan, without crowding the pan, and brown them on each side. As the chicken cooks, sprinkle salt over it. (I go easy on the salt in case I want to add some low salt chicken bouillon for flavor later.) Once the chicken is browned, remove the pieces from the pan to a bowl and set aside.
3. Add the remaining oil to the pan and sauté the onion until it begins to brown. As the onion cooks and releases moisture, use a flat edged spatula or wooden spoon to scrape off the fond from the bottom of the pan.
4. Once the onions have browned a bit, add the chicken stock and lower the heat to medium.
5. Put about 2/3 of the peaches, along with any juice they have given up, into a blender and blend into a purée. Pour the purée into the pan with the chicken stock and onions.
6. Add the 5-spice powder, rosemary, Tabasco (I used 1-1/2 teaspoons and it was perfect) and some black pepper and taste. You may need to add some salt or chicken bouillon for flavor. Bring to a simmer, then lower the heat and gently simmer for 10 to 20 minutes.
7. When you are ready to serve, put the chicken and the remaining peach pieces into the pan and simmer gently for 5 or 10 minutes (I cooked mine about 10 minutes to make sure the dark meat was cooked). Serve hot with rice.

Note: You could make this with bone-in chicken thighs or whole boneless chicken breasts; just brown them well at the start and then let them cook in the sauce as it reduced.
The original recipe called for cinnamon only but I thought the 5-spice powder would be better and a little more subtle than a whole teaspoon of cinnamon. I was really glad I did it, as it had some cinnamon but wasn't overwhelmed by it and the 5-spice powder added a lot.
Someone online suggested using nectarines and thyme for the fruit/spice. I think it would be good with some curry powder, too.
Someone else suggested using a small amount of orange peel or zested orange on top to serve. If you served it on a platter, a pretty garnish would be sliced oranges, too.

16September 2016, Whats for Dinner?? Empty Re: September 2016, Whats for Dinner?? Fri Sep 02, 2016 11:01 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

That sounds really good, Michelle.

Since my pc is still down with the virus could you do me a favor and copy this over to the meat section so I can find it when I want it later?  Please....pretty please?

IGNORE THIS POST>>>>>>>Beth needs to look at the entire forum before asking for something that is already done.

17September 2016, Whats for Dinner?? Empty Re: September 2016, Whats for Dinner?? Fri Sep 02, 2016 11:22 pm

Bugster2

Bugster2

The copycat Macaroni Grill Shrimp Pignola Pasta was excellent. Sort of made up for last night's mess.

18September 2016, Whats for Dinner?? Empty Re: September 2016, Whats for Dinner?? Sat Sep 03, 2016 1:16 am

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Bugster2 wrote:The copycat Macaroni Grill Shrimp Pignola Pasta  was excellent. Sort of made up for last night's mess.

Sounds good Deb. I love pine nuts. Tina and the kids won't eat them.
I make Sicilian style braccioli with pine nuts; seared and then cooked in tomato sauce.

19September 2016, Whats for Dinner?? Empty Re: September 2016, Whats for Dinner?? Sat Sep 03, 2016 1:58 am

1DomesticGoddess

1DomesticGoddess

We had...

A spicy Italian sub sandwich from Subway

A few dill pickle flavored chips

A can of Fanta Orange Soda

And watermelon for dessert

20September 2016, Whats for Dinner?? Empty Re: September 2016, Whats for Dinner?? Sat Sep 03, 2016 5:06 am

Crybaby

Crybaby

Uncle Jimmy wrote:I love pine nuts. Tina and the kids won't eat them.
I make Sicilian style braccioli with pine nuts; seared and then cooked in tomato sauce.

I like 'em, too, Jimmy. You made me hungry!

21September 2016, Whats for Dinner?? Empty Re: September 2016, Whats for Dinner?? Sat Sep 03, 2016 11:50 am

bethk

bethk
Admin

We're having meatloaf for supper.....I took one out of the freezer 3 days ago to let it thaw in the refrigerator. I had to let it completely thaw before baking because when I made the 5 (yes, FIVE huge loafs) I failed to add eggs to the mix. It completely got past me until after I had them in the freezer and had baked off one for our supper that night. Meatloaf without eggs is really, REALLY dense.

So, before I bake any of the others I have to let them thaw and then add a couple beaten eggs and re-form, usually in a loaf pan. I'll let it bake half way in the loaf pan and then turn it out on a rack over a foil covered sheet pan so all the fat has a chance to drain away. I haven't decided if I'm going to add my usual glaze of ketchup, brown sugar & spices or just let it finish off plain.

But it's a BIG meatloaf for just the two of us. I'll probably have enough leftover for sandwiches plus a meal of leftovers.

22September 2016, Whats for Dinner?? Empty Re: September 2016, Whats for Dinner?? Sat Sep 03, 2016 12:20 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

bethk wrote:We're having meatloaf for supper.....I took one out of the freezer 3 days ago to let it thaw in the refrigerator.  I had to let it completely thaw before baking because when I made the 5 (yes, FIVE huge loafs) I failed to add eggs to the mix.  It completely got past me until after I had them in the freezer and had baked off one for our supper that night.  Meatloaf without eggs is really, REALLY dense.  

So, before I bake any of the others I have to let them thaw and then add a couple beaten eggs and re-form, usually in a loaf pan.  I'll let it bake half way in the loaf pan and then turn it out on a rack over a foil covered sheet pan so all the fat has a chance to drain away.  I haven't decided if I'm going to add my usual glaze of ketchup, brown sugar & spices or just let it finish off plain.  

But it's a BIG meatloaf for just the two of us.  I'll probably have enough leftover for sandwiches plus a meal of leftovers.

Meatloaf sounds good. Haven't had that in ages.
As far as glaze or no glaze, I've gone as far as 1/2 glaze, and 1/2 plain.

23September 2016, Whats for Dinner?? Empty Re: September 2016, Whats for Dinner?? Sat Sep 03, 2016 6:30 pm

Bugster2

Bugster2

I have leftover ingredients from last nights dinner so tonight I am making the same thing except I am substituting the shrimp with scallops.
I had a visit with my next door neighbor. He is babysitting a baby pot bellied pig. It was so cute! Black and white. I picked it up and it squealed a bit at a decibel that would burst your eardrum. Then it calmed down. I was amazed at the fact that there was no smell and they are cat box trained.
Smart piggy. Its' name is Pickles. Their size is determined by how much you feed them.

24September 2016, Whats for Dinner?? Empty Re: September 2016, Whats for Dinner?? Sat Sep 03, 2016 6:58 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

I don't think I would want a noisy piglet living next door to me. They are really clean animals but they can be noisy as all get out when they want something. Good thing your neighbor is just babysitting for a while.

Tonight's meatloaf with mashed potatoes and (colorful) peas & carrots.

September 2016, Whats for Dinner?? IMG_20160903_173556192_HDR

25September 2016, Whats for Dinner?? Empty Re: September 2016, Whats for Dinner?? Sat Sep 03, 2016 7:38 pm

Crybaby

Crybaby

Bugster2 wrote:Smart piggy. Its' name is Pickles. Their size is determined by how much you feed them.

I always hear that but I've sure never seen one that remained small. They are cuter than cute, too.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 16]

Go to page : 1, 2, 3 ... 8 ... 16  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum