Cooking Friends
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Cooking Friends

Friends sharing recipes, cooking techniques & menu ideas in a friendly atmosphere.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Whats for Dinner in this December 2014?

+4
Barbara101
Niagara Visitor
bethk
UNCLE JIMMY
8 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 11, 12, 13  Next

Go down  Message [Page 2 of 13]

26Whats for Dinner in this December 2014? - Page 2 Empty Re: Whats for Dinner in this December 2014? Thu Dec 04, 2014 11:17 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

bethk wrote:We had our Polish dinner ~ a fabulous success if I do say so myself!

Pierogi, brats w/onions & peppers and a cherry crostata for dessert (that I forgot to take a pic of....)

Seven of us for dinner - pierogi:

Whats for Dinner in this December 2014? - Page 2 120414a

Brats w/onions & peppers:

Whats for Dinner in this December 2014? - Page 2 120414b

A few pierogi w/my sour cream.....LOL

Whats for Dinner in this December 2014? - Page 2 120414c

Beth! Tina did a good look, and she and I said they are crafted deliciously delectable. Also, the dough looks nice and light! Great Job!

Is there a recipe to share??

bethk

bethk
Admin

UNCLE JIMMY wrote:
Beth! Tina did a good look, and she and I said they are crafted deliciously delectable.   Also, the dough looks nice and light! Great Job!

Tell Tina 'thank you' for me.

The pierogi were really good, Jimmy, especially for a first time effort with a recipe I'd never used before. Joe, our Polish neighbor, as well as the others all agreed I got it just right. Phew! I was worried since it was his late wife's recipe....I didn't want to screw it up.

The dough was lovely to work with - it got mixed mainly in the kitchenaid mixer with the dough hook. I didn't have to do much kneading at all. And it came out silky smooth and very pliable, no problem with tearing. I broke down the dough into small portions and let them rest under a damp towel and then rolled them out thin before cutting into rounds to fill. A little water swiped with a fingertip on half the circle edge was all it needed to stay put. We didn't have even one 'blow out' in the water when we boiled them.

I'll put the recipe in the 'odds & ends' catagory.

28Whats for Dinner in this December 2014? - Page 2 Empty Re: Whats for Dinner in this December 2014? Fri Dec 05, 2014 10:34 am

cookingirl

cookingirl

Beth---looks really good!
But brats are not Polish!! You needed to have kielbasa!!! LOL!! bounce Arrow

The kielbasa can be either, fried, boiled or baked!

Try sautéing the pierogi after frying. Add some onions to the pan and fry in butter until it they brown a bit.....you can add the kielbasa to the pan also..pour the browned butter over the pirogies when serving---yum!!!!!
I grew up on all this food...

and I am being a brat----it is Christmas time anyway........the brat in me comes out!!! What a Face santa santa

29Whats for Dinner in this December 2014? - Page 2 Empty Re: Whats for Dinner in this December 2014? Fri Dec 05, 2014 10:56 am

Niagara Visitor

"Bratwurst"- braten:to fry Wurst:sausage GERMAN!

30Whats for Dinner in this December 2014? - Page 2 Empty Re: Whats for Dinner in this December 2014? Fri Dec 05, 2014 11:12 am

NormM

NormM

Everyone's dinners look great. I have not made much since tetrazzini. I am hungry for a nice fish stew but on one else is excited about that idea.

http://r2j1cp@gmail.com

31Whats for Dinner in this December 2014? - Page 2 Empty Re: Whats for Dinner in this December 2014? Fri Dec 05, 2014 11:32 am

bethk

bethk
Admin

cookingirl wrote:Beth---looks really good!
But brats are not Polish!! You needed to have kielbasa!!! LOL!! bounce Arrow

The kielbasa can be either, fried, boiled or baked!

Try sautéing the pierogi after frying. Add some onions to the pan and fry in butter until it they brown a bit.....you can add the kielbasa to the pan also..pour the browned butter over the pirogies when serving---yum!!!!!
I grew up on all this food...

and I am being a brat----it is Christmas time anyway........the brat in me comes out!!! What a Face santa santa

Oh, I KNOW kielbasa would have been the more traditional meat to have with the meal....but it has too much garlic for Mr. Amazing. And I added Jimmy's Italian touch with the peppers & onions ~ because I like that with the smokey brats and I think the color is pretty.

The addition of the stewed onions in butter on the pierogi in the casserole dish was Darlene's contribution to the meal. That's the way her family served them. We didn't brown the butter but I'll assume the ones who took the leftovers are having their 'second day' pieorgi with browned butter in the saute pan!

And the brats are also a 'nod & wink' to my German/Swiss heritage....but mainly because I really like the taste.

Mainly the meal was a tribute to Joe's late wife, MaryAnn, who was the sweetest lady you could have met. I know she was helping to be sure the dough came out 'just right' and was smiling at all of us rolling, cutting, filling and boiling the tasty morsels.

32Whats for Dinner in this December 2014? - Page 2 Empty Re: Whats for Dinner in this December 2014? Fri Dec 05, 2014 11:35 am

Niagara Visitor

Fish stew?  And no one is interested?  Silly people, in my opinion!  I could surely go for that. I'm busy today, but may make some tomorrow.

Years ago we were into raising rabbits commercially. The rabbit growers of Ontario were really trying to push rabbit to become a more accepted protein.  There was a local food fair, I made rabbit tettrazzini.  I think it was delicious, but there are a whole lot of people who don't seem to get over the "cute fuzzy furry" thing when asked to try rabbit.

33Whats for Dinner in this December 2014? - Page 2 Empty Re: Whats for Dinner in this December 2014? Fri Dec 05, 2014 11:45 am

bethk

bethk
Admin

Niagara - I think part of the fear of cooking rabbit is because it is most often sold 'whole' instead of broken down into 'parts'. People see the whole dressed rabbit and, quite honestly, are put off because of it's similarity to a skinned cat. A friend of mine saw a dressed rabbit once and swore it looked just like the cat she had to discect in high school biology class. I know it's silly, but I think it's true. I've had a braised rabbit stew that was wonderfully rich and flavorful.

I also know some people who see a whole steer or hog butchered are shocked because all they've ever seen is a cut of the meat wrapped in plastic at the grocery store.

34Whats for Dinner in this December 2014? - Page 2 Empty Re: Whats for Dinner in this December 2014? Fri Dec 05, 2014 11:47 am

Barbara101

Barbara101

well as good as all that looks, it is way beyond my cooking skills right now lol I have some leftover rice,gosh I LOVE my ricemaker,some sweet peppers that have almost have had it. Leftover chicken to throw in,Fried rice for me tonight..Then tomorrow night grilled chicken ha I will be sick to death of eating chicken..

Fish anything does not appeal to me right now either.

35Whats for Dinner in this December 2014? - Page 2 Empty Re: Whats for Dinner in this December 2014? Fri Dec 05, 2014 11:58 am

Niagara Visitor

bethk wrote:Niagara - I think part of the fear of cooking rabbit is because it is most often sold 'whole' instead of broken down into 'parts'.  People see the whole dressed rabbit and, quite honestly, are put off because of it's similarity to a skinned cat. A friend of mine saw a dressed rabbit once and swore it looked just like the cat she had to discect in high school biology class.  I know it's silly, but I think it's true.  I've had a braised rabbit stew that was wonderfully rich and flavorful.

I also know some people who see a whole steer or hog butchered are shocked because all they've ever seen is a cut of the meat wrapped in plastic at the grocery store.

You are probably right with some people's opinion. However, the comment I hear most of the time is "But they are so cute!"
I have "converted" quite a few people after they ate it at my place, but there are hold-outs. My one daughter-in-law won't try it. She is, by her own admission, the world's fussiest eater.............. the other one has asked me to make rabbit when they come over. I don't push it any more, now that I have to buy them in the grocery store. When hubby raised them, they were cheaper.

I have also found that I do not order it in restaurants in Canada any more. I tried it when I have seen it on the menu, and they are never cooked to my liking. An undercooked rabbit is worse than undercooked chicken.

36Whats for Dinner in this December 2014? - Page 2 Empty Re: Whats for Dinner in this December 2014? Fri Dec 05, 2014 12:20 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

NormM wrote:Everyone's dinners look great.  I have not made much since tetrazzini. I am hungry for a nice fish stew but on one else is excited about that idea.

I got the same thing yesterday when I made the Jambalaya.
Tina was like..."You're putting haddock in with brats and shrimp?"

Well guess what?.... I sat down, and ate like Ole King Cole; a merry ole soul.

Barbara101

Barbara101

I do not like rabbit meat at all. Not becuz it was hopping around looking cute,I just do not like the dark meat of it.Not a fan of any poultry dark meat either.Different stokes folks..

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

bethk wrote:
UNCLE JIMMY wrote:
Beth! Tina did a good look, and she and I said they are crafted deliciously delectable.   Also, the dough looks nice and light! Great Job!

Tell Tina 'thank you' for me.

The pierogi were really good, Jimmy, especially for a first time effort with a recipe I'd never used before.  Joe, our Polish neighbor, as well as the others all agreed I got it just right.  Phew!  I was worried since it was his late wife's recipe....I didn't want to screw it up.

The dough was lovely to work with - it got mixed mainly in the kitchenaid mixer with the dough hook.  I didn't have to do much kneading at all.  And it came out silky smooth and very pliable, no problem with tearing.  I broke down the dough into small portions and let them rest under a damp towel and then rolled them out thin before cutting into rounds to fill.  A little water swiped with a fingertip on half the circle edge was all it needed to stay put.  We didn't have even one 'blow out' in the water when we boiled them.

I'll put the recipe in the 'odds & ends' catagory.

Thanks for the recipe Beth!... Looks good!
Now WE are wishing for pierogi!

A little thing on the pierogi boiling / breaking.... Old Saying=

"NEVER EVER Count the pierogi before boiling them, cause it will make em break! What a Face
'

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Barbara101 wrote:I do not like rabbit meat at all. Not becuz it was hopping around looking cute,I just do not like the dark meat of it.Not a fan of any poultry dark meat either.Different stokes folks..

Hows about Venison? AKA Bambi Burgers!???

I have eaten it when Gram or Mom Made it. All wild life meats if soaked in baking soda I will eat. It takes the so called game ee taste out.

I have eaten:
Rabbit
Squirrel
Woodchuck ( AKA Gopher ) ( AKA Groundhog )
Possum
Bear Chuck Steaks
Racoon
Pidgeon
Venison
Sparrows

The best tasting, was the Racoon if you can get past the color of the meat. Like a gray! ....

The thing to remember with wild game, is a clean . quick kill.
If the animal is allowed to live over 30 seconds after the attempted kill, the animal secretes adrenalin ... That then is circulated through the blood, and causes the meat to taste different. An instant kill does not allow the adrenalin to circulate, and the meat tastes fresh and better.

Same thing when dunking a lobster in a pot of boiling water. If the lobster is irritated and handled roughly, the adrenalin is pumped
My brother always added alcohol to the holding water, so that the lobster would actually relax before the big final dunk.

Barbara101

Barbara101

Do not like deer meat at all.Client  of mine thought it was a great gift to me when she gave me 20 lbs of it.  Whats for Dinner in this December 2014? - Page 2 2855670339   I grilled a steak & took one bite..tossed it..I gave it all to a neighbor.

Bugster2

Bugster2

UNCLE JIMMY wrote:
Barbara101 wrote:I do not like rabbit meat at all. Not becuz it was hopping around looking cute,I just do not like the dark meat of it.Not a fan of any poultry dark meat either.Different stokes folks..

Hows about Venison? AKA Bambi Burgers!???

I have eaten it when Gram or Mom Made it. All wild life meats if soaked in baking soda I will eat. It takes the so called game ee  taste out.

I have eaten:
Rabbit
Squirrel
Woodchuck ( AKA Gopher ) ( AKA Groundhog )
Possum
Bear Chuck Steaks
Racoon
Pidgeon
Venison
Sparrows

The best tasting, was the Racoon if you can get past the color of the meat. Like a gray! ....

The thing to remember with wild game, is a clean . quick kill.
If the animal is allowed to live over 30 seconds after the attempted kill, the animal secretes adrenalin ... That then is circulated through the blood, and causes the meat to taste different. An instant kill does not allow the adrenalin to circulate, and the meat tastes fresh and better.

Same thing when dunking a lobster in a pot of boiling water. If the lobster is irritated and handled roughly, the adrenalin is pumped
My brother always added alcohol to the holding water, so that the lobster would actually relax before the big final dunk.  

My friend just had bear sausages for a meal. I wouldn't touch them with a ten foot pole. I saw an episode of "Monsters Inside Me" that made me not want to go near anything wild.
The closest "wild" I have eaten was ostrich. BLECH! It was tough, dark red and tasted like liver.
As for lobsters: I buy them at a local Asian market and have them chop off their heads. I can't steam them live. The market will also steam them for you.

Barbara101

Barbara101

Whats for Dinner in this December 2014? - Page 2 DSCN4678

Fried rice..

bethk

bethk
Admin

Very appetizing, Barb ~ satisfying without being too filling.

I didn't have a clue - then ended up with an old favorite. Mr. Amazing was happy with the choice.

Whats for Dinner in this December 2014? - Page 2 120514

Barbara101

Barbara101

Oh gosh I like the look of that plate of goodness.Limas & tators going on my list..

bethk

bethk
Admin

Those are the frozen flat potato tots - called 'crowns'. Just put in a bit of medium hot oil in a skillet when frozen and let 'em brown. They don't seem to absorb all that much oil but come out really crispy so they're tasty.

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

All looks good Beth, and Barb.
Now I want fried rice. hahahahaha And lima beans.

I had some dough left over from a calzone I made last night....so I made a pan of square pizza thin crust. In the oven now baking.

I still want a ham and cheese on rye with deli onions but they are not made.
Probably will make the sandwich for a snack tonight, or tomorrows lunch!

Imelda HL

Imelda HL

I had fried rice too  Whats for Dinner in this December 2014? - Page 2 3602300868 ... I used brown rice, added some spinach, egg and soy sauce.. Dirk had bean soup with beef

Whats for Dinner in this December 2014? - Page 2 10306321_10205544999290717_2942932720580588599_n

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Ate the pizza already.... It was like sup, sup, sup gone!
It was so light and thin, it was like dealing cards into our mouths.

I'm still hungry though!

49Whats for Dinner in this December 2014? - Page 2 Empty Re: Whats for Dinner in this December 2014? Fri Dec 05, 2014 10:11 pm

Niagara Visitor

Bugster2 wrote:
Niagara Visitor wrote:I have booked a vacation for myself (late March) where I will probably be in a bathing suit most of the day..................... needless to say, a few pounds have to come off, so I am really trying to make both low calorie and also smaller portions for myself.  For tonight I have taken  some salmon out of the freezer, that will just be oven baked with a little EVOO and some spices, and a nice big salad of mixed greens, peppers, onion, tomato, half an avocado to go with it.

For lunch I'm having the first half of that avocado, some shrimp, some pepper pieces and a few grape tomatoes.

Where are you vacationing?

I have booked a private charter on a catamaran in the Bahamas.

http://www.experiencebikini.com/p/contact-us.html

50Whats for Dinner in this December 2014? - Page 2 Empty Re: Whats for Dinner in this December 2014? Fri Dec 05, 2014 10:16 pm

Niagara Visitor

Barb, domestically raised rabbits such as you would get in a grocery store is all white meat. Very mild, none of that gamey dark meat of their wild cousins. I happen to like both!

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 2 of 13]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 11, 12, 13  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum