Cooking Friends
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Cooking Friends

Friends sharing recipes, cooking techniques & menu ideas in a friendly atmosphere.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Whats for Dinner in this December 2014?

+4
Barbara101
Niagara Visitor
bethk
UNCLE JIMMY
8 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 11, 12, 13  Next

Go down  Message [Page 12 of 13]

276Whats for Dinner in this December 2014? - Page 12 Empty Re: Whats for Dinner in this December 2014? Sat Dec 27, 2014 2:35 am

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Imelda HL wrote:Everybody's Christmas dinner meals sound good and delicious... we spent our Christmas with my in-laws.. she cooked ham, green bean casserole, some salads, fresh baked rolls.. not much, because it was only the 5 of us and they have to watch their diets..

today I went to buy a big chunk of ham, now I'm baking half of it, and boiling the other half with bone, I'm going to add some bean on the soup.. for tomorrow

for our dinner, today I made some fresh Ravioli with cream cheese, spicy sausage, green onion and chive, boiled them and baked them with Ragu sauce.. it turned our so so good, I bked 2 loaves of Italian bread to eat with... I packed the leftover in 2 individual bags and freeze them.. for my DH while I'm away for my vacation.. I'm going to visit my Mom next month
cheers

Whats for Dinner in this December 2014? - Page 12 Ravioli

Nice ravioli's Imelda!... Ham soup sounds good too. ummm!

277Whats for Dinner in this December 2014? - Page 12 Empty Re: Whats for Dinner in this December 2014? Sat Dec 27, 2014 9:29 am

bethk

bethk
Admin

Niagara Visitor wrote:
 My sister had given me a care package yesterday of some of her delicious spanakopita, and two pieces of French Canadian tortierre, both delicious!

I've seen many recipes for the tortierre, we even had a forum member who made it (wasn't it Sweetest Pea??). Does your sister make hers with pork or a combination of meats? One of these days I should try making one just to see what it is......

Glad you had a wonderful visit with family & friends.

278Whats for Dinner in this December 2014? - Page 12 Empty Re: Whats for Dinner in this December 2014? Sat Dec 27, 2014 9:33 am

bethk

bethk
Admin

Imelda HL wrote:today I went to buy a big chunk of ham, now I'm baking half of it, and boiling the other half with bone, I'm going to add some bean on the soup.. for tomorrow

for our dinner, today I made some fresh Ravioli with cream cheese, spicy sausage, green onion and chive, boiled them and baked them with Ragu sauce.. it turned out so so good, I bked 2 loaves of Italian bread to eat with... I packed the leftover in 2 individual bags and freeze them.. for my DH while I'm away for my vacation.. I'm going to visit my Mom next month
cheers

Oh, my, Imelda ~ your ravioli looks wonderful. Again, a meal I've not made. A few years ago I gave DD#1 a set of ravioli forms but I don't know if she's used them.....

I've got beans soaking in a big dish right now to make bean soup today. I had some ham broth in the freezer so I'll use that to cook with and just add a package of chopped (cubed) ham at some point.

279Whats for Dinner in this December 2014? - Page 12 Empty Re: Whats for Dinner in this December 2014? Sat Dec 27, 2014 7:04 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

Dane wanted traditional bean soup so that's what I made.  But I wanted to switch MINE out a little so after the soup was done I took about 1/3 to a smaller pot and added a large bunch of washed, chopped kale.  You know I've told you I like the kale.....since 'he' doesn't, I don't add the kale to the whole batch.  He must have thought it was OK because he ended up eating FOUR bowls for his lunch of the traditional.  Sure hope he's not down with a 'stomach flu' tomorrow from overdoing it!

Oh, and I made Barb's Cornbread Casserole to go with it....easy and yummy!

Whats for Dinner in this December 2014? - Page 12 122714

280Whats for Dinner in this December 2014? - Page 12 Empty Re: Whats for Dinner in this December 2014? Sat Dec 27, 2014 8:17 pm

Imelda HL

Imelda HL

bethk wrote:Dane wanted traditional bean soup so that's what I made.  But I wanted to switch MINE out a little so after the soup was done I took about 1/3 to a smaller pot and added a large bunch of washed, chopped kale.  You know I've told you I like the kale.....since 'he' doesn't, I don't add the kale to the whole batch.  He must have thought it was OK because he ended up eating FOUR bowls for his lunch of the traditional.  Sure hope he's not down with a 'stomach flu' tomorrow from overdoing it!

Oh, and I made Barb's Cornbread Casserole to go with it....easy and yummy!

Whats for Dinner in this December 2014? - Page 12 122714

do you think black-eye peas soup good with kale too? I like one pot soup, so I don't need to cook in or wash another pot/pan Laughing

and how about the cornbread, care to share the recipe, I don't like it but Dirk loves it

thank you

281Whats for Dinner in this December 2014? - Page 12 Empty Re: Whats for Dinner in this December 2014? Sat Dec 27, 2014 8:35 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

I think the kale goes with any soup that has beans/peas in it. I like the way it cooks down and thickens the soup even more than it normally is.

Here's Barb's recipe....with the changes I've made (most notably, dropping the melted butter from 1 c. to 1/2 c.)

Corn Bread Casserole
(Barb at Cookingfriends forum)

Can of creamed corn - 15oz
Can of drained regular corn - 15oz
Box of JIFFY corn bread mix
2 beaten large eggs
1 cup sour cream.
½ cup melted butter. (original recipe calls for 1 c. melted butter)

mix it all up, you can just use a spoon.

PAM spray or butter a casserole dish / cake pan – 13” X 9”. Bake @ 350° for 38/45 minutes

282Whats for Dinner in this December 2014? - Page 12 Empty Re: Whats for Dinner in this December 2014? Sun Dec 28, 2014 7:22 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Well.... Supper will be made with ground chuck!

( "Trumpets Blare") .... """BETH BURGERS!""""" .....

Yay! ...

Tina bought these new Corn Dusted rolls. Actually corn meal on top a soft packaged kaiser roll!
Gonna steam cook a head of cauliflower ( of two ) that never got cooked for the Christmas Meal.

Dessert will be cookies that the neighbours handed out as gifts / etc. Most of them are dried out and hard already; because most of the women like the cookies on a paper plate, and covered with that dollar store plastic wrap, that doesn't stick to the paper plate. Or the new press and seal that only sticks once. After that it just sits there loose with all the air drying out the cookies.
We give cookies out in dollar store plastic containers. They are not heavy duty like glad or ziplock brand, but at least the cookies don't dry out and get stale as fast.

283Whats for Dinner in this December 2014? - Page 12 Empty Re: Whats for Dinner in this December 2014? Sun Dec 28, 2014 7:35 pm

Niagara Visitor

I had a yen for spaghetti for today. Made a big pot full, I had mushrooms, peppers that needed to be dealt with, so they are in there, along with some celery and onions. I like my sauce nice and chunky, so I used canned tomatoes, both chunky and crushed.

Son and daughter-in-law like it too, so some is for them. I had meatballs in the freezer. Easy, peasy!

284Whats for Dinner in this December 2014? - Page 12 Empty Re: Whats for Dinner in this December 2014? Sun Dec 28, 2014 8:48 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

Burgers sound good, Jimmy.....with a pile of Tony Packo Sweet/Hot or Wickles Pickles along side!!

We're having leftovers. Whatever you can find and looks good, well, we each get to warm up what we want. He wanted to eat an hour ago. I'm thinking of something in about half an hour. I don't know how we got our stomachs on a different schedule today.

285Whats for Dinner in this December 2014? - Page 12 Empty Re: Whats for Dinner in this December 2014? Sun Dec 28, 2014 10:01 pm

NormM

NormM

Charlie and Cassie gave me a gift card to Olive Garden so that is where I went for dinner tonight.

http://r2j1cp@gmail.com

286Whats for Dinner in this December 2014? - Page 12 Empty Re: Whats for Dinner in this December 2014? Mon Dec 29, 2014 12:38 am

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Niagara Visitor wrote:I had a yen for spaghetti for today.  Made a big pot full, I had mushrooms, peppers that needed to be dealt with, so they are in there, along with some celery and onions. I like my sauce nice and chunky, so I used canned tomatoes, both chunky and crushed.  

Son and daughter-in-law like it too, so some is for them.  I had meatballs in the freezer.  Easy, peasy!  

Sounds good Lore!
I like a chunky sauce with certain macaroni styles, like rotelli, or rigatoni.

287Whats for Dinner in this December 2014? - Page 12 Empty Re: Whats for Dinner in this December 2014? Mon Dec 29, 2014 12:53 am

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

bethk wrote:Burgers sound good, Jimmy.....with a pile of Tony Packo Sweet/Hot or Wickles Pickles along side!!

We're having leftovers.  Whatever you can find and looks good, well, we each get to warm up what we want.  He wanted to eat an hour ago.  I'm thinking of something in about half an hour.  I don't know how we got our stomachs on a different schedule today.

We did that yesterday. Today, the burgers were great ( a little small for the big buns ) but we managed. Tina left hers and ate just some of the burger alone.
She was still hungry after an hour, so I fried her some corned beef hash, and an fried egg over medium on top.

No tony pickles so we had another brand. The last one too. Time to make a Tony Packos order.
BTW... T went to that market to get some Wickles Pickles, and they said they never carried them. Rats!!.... But yet it is listed on their grocery list flyer. Go figure!!!

288Whats for Dinner in this December 2014? - Page 12 Empty Re: Whats for Dinner in this December 2014? Mon Dec 29, 2014 1:12 am

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

NormM wrote:Charlie and Cassie gave me a gift card to Olive Garden so that is where I went for dinner tonight.

Thats nice Norm. Did they have anything good to eat there at that one?

We got gift cards to Home Depot from the kids, and two more from others.
Tina and I bought a new Toilet yesterday, and I installed it last night.
She wanted to be the first to use it, so I wrapped a ribbon on the tank, with a note:
"Merry Christmas Tina" ..."You are my Queen, so this is your Throne!" queen Whats for Dinner in this December 2014? - Page 12 1838020472 Whats for Dinner in this December 2014? - Page 12 2876911673

289Whats for Dinner in this December 2014? - Page 12 Empty Re: Whats for Dinner in this December 2014? Mon Dec 29, 2014 1:39 pm

Bugster2

Bugster2

Jimmy, you are too much! LOL! For some reason it dredged up a memory of a poster that was popular in the early 70's. Frank Zappa sitting on a throne. Phi Zappa Krappa.

We had chicken marsala last night. When I was digging through the freezer for chicken I found a bag of saved chicken drumsticks. I have them in the pressure cooker making stock. I have never made it this way before so it will be interesting to see how it turns out. If it is good maybe chicken pot pies tonight.

290Whats for Dinner in this December 2014? - Page 12 Empty Re: Whats for Dinner in this December 2014? Mon Dec 29, 2014 1:56 pm

Bugster2

Bugster2

I haven't been able to taste the stock yet because the pot is still losing pressure but Jimmy, if it tastes anything like how it smells, it will go down the drain. I know what you mean: that pullet, dirty chicken smell.

291Whats for Dinner in this December 2014? - Page 12 Empty Re: Whats for Dinner in this December 2014? Mon Dec 29, 2014 2:07 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Bugster2 wrote:I haven't been able to taste the stock yet because the pot is still losing pressure but Jimmy, if it tastes anything like how it smells, it will go down the drain. I know what you mean: that pullet, dirty chicken smell.

Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha ..... that is so funny Bugs! Yeah! .... That's the smell. The "Pullet Smell!"

Like a feather pillow when it gets wet! Raunchy!!! Yuck!!

292Whats for Dinner in this December 2014? - Page 12 Empty Re: Whats for Dinner in this December 2014? Mon Dec 29, 2014 2:40 pm

Bugster2

Bugster2

Gave it a taste Jimmy. Definitely dirty chicken. Down the drain it goes. My DH said it stunk up the whole house.
I remember buying a down comforter from Macy's 25 years ago. I put it in the car and went back in the mall. It was a warm day and very warm in the car. I came back to the car, opened the door, and got hit by a wall of dirty chicken smell, slightly salty hugely stinky. I couldn't get the thing out of my car fast enough. I took it back to the bedding department and explained the problem. The clerk looked at me like I was crazy. The thing was still in the zip bag and still very warm. I told her to take a sniff. When she unzipped the bag she almost passed out. She gladly gave me a refund.

My DH has just taken the offending brew and put it outside. He has also opened all of the windows in the house. LOL.

293Whats for Dinner in this December 2014? - Page 12 Empty Re: Whats for Dinner in this December 2014? Mon Dec 29, 2014 2:42 pm

Bugster2

Bugster2

LOL. My DH says the house smells like burnt chicken $hit. That is pretty bad.

294Whats for Dinner in this December 2014? - Page 12 Empty Re: Whats for Dinner in this December 2014? Mon Dec 29, 2014 8:05 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

One of the vendors at the Farmers' Market had the most beautiful home-grown bok choy and snow peas. I couldn't resist.....pulled a chicken breast out of the freezer to thaw and I knew what supper would be. Rice was cooked in the borrowed rice cooker (could it be any easier???) and the chicken and vegetables were quickly stir fried until tender. I had leftover teriyaki sauce from the sausage/pineapple skewers I took for Christmas Eve so I didn't even have to put together the sauce.

Whats for Dinner in this December 2014? - Page 12 122914

295Whats for Dinner in this December 2014? - Page 12 Empty Re: Whats for Dinner in this December 2014? Tue Dec 30, 2014 2:11 am

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Supper / Party combo went great. GD wanted papa's pizza for her party. I said, time???? they said 7:00.

I was blessed with no problems. I started at 4:00 PM after the Dr's, and I had hot pizza on the counter at 6:54. They all did enjoy it. Only 5 slices left over out of (5)-- 16" large pizza's.

We then had cake with strawberries from the Swiss Chalet Bakery in Morristown. It was so good, I had two pieces.

We all had a great time, and all is well.

296Whats for Dinner in this December 2014? - Page 12 Empty Re: Whats for Dinner in this December 2014? Tue Dec 30, 2014 7:43 am

bethk

bethk
Admin

Sounds like a fun time, Jimmy. Tell GD Happy Birthday from all of us!

297Whats for Dinner in this December 2014? - Page 12 Empty Re: Whats for Dinner in this December 2014? Tue Dec 30, 2014 8:02 am

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

bethk wrote:Sounds like a fun time, Jimmy.  Tell GD Happy Birthday from all of us!
Thanks Beth, I will tell her. That is, if she could come up for a breath from thumbing on her 4G cell phone with her friends.
Huh!!.... We used to bow our heads to pray, but today, most people bow their heads as they text!.....

298Whats for Dinner in this December 2014? - Page 12 Empty Re: Whats for Dinner in this December 2014? Tue Dec 30, 2014 8:36 am

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

I am in the mood for some Ham & Bean soup.
Got the ham from Christmas.
Tina is on way to take Son and wife to the airport; so they can freeze in Las Vegas.

If it was me, I would have said, "Take a limo!"....

But, at least it is LVI ( Lehigh Valley International, in Allentown, Pa. Only thing is, they fly south to NC first, then change planes, to head west to Las Vegas. Like, what the heck kind of fuel savings is that?

Maybe I will make a ham salad spread for sandwiches. Haven't had that in ages.

299Whats for Dinner in this December 2014? - Page 12 Empty Re: Whats for Dinner in this December 2014? Tue Dec 30, 2014 12:46 pm

NormM

NormM

Jimmy, I have had some good food there before but not so much this time. I didn't care for the tomato sauce taste and there was too much of it. The next time I have lasagna, I will make it myself.

http://r2j1cp@gmail.com

300Whats for Dinner in this December 2014? - Page 12 Empty Re: Whats for Dinner in this December 2014? Tue Dec 30, 2014 2:23 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

NormM wrote:Jimmy, I have had some good food there before but not so much this time. I didn't care for the tomato sauce taste and there was too much of it.  The next time I have lasagna, I will make it myself.  

Yeah, Norm, Olive Garden is about as Italian as dinner in MY kitchen....NOT! lol

I do like to go with the other ladies for the soup & salad lunch....but, quite honestly, I like MY rendition of their Zuppa Toscana soup better than theirs. But it's nice, once in a while, to have that salad (as long as they don't drown it in the dressing) and the hot bread sticks.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 12 of 13]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 11, 12, 13  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum