Cooking Friends
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Cooking Friends

Friends sharing recipes, cooking techniques & menu ideas in a friendly atmosphere.

You are not connected. Please login or register

June, 2023 ~ As it warms up the grills appear!

+2
UNCLE JIMMY
bethk
6 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Go down  Message [Page 4 of 5]

bethk

bethk
Admin

Grandson Jacob is on his way, driving down from Ohio, with his girlfriend, Sam. He's spent the last few years with us on his birthday (tomorrow) so I guess this is 'tradition' with him. This is the first time he's driven the 1,050+ miles but at 20 there's not a whole lot anyone can say to change his mind. I know he'll drive safely ~ and I have him connected to our Life360 system so I can track him and his speed (tricky Grandma, huh?) so it should be easy to know they're OK.

So, today is the day I have to bake some zucchini muffins for when they arrive. These little muffins have been a favorite of ALL my grandchildren ~ and they've loved the mini size because they can just pop one or two and then move on.....no muss, no fuss.

June, 2023 ~ As it warms up the grills appear! - Page 4 06_23_15

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Well..... Tina cooked already for supper. Meatloaf is done; so is the mashed potatoes, and gravy.
Broccoli just has to be steamed 10 minutes before we sit down to eat.
She even made a pan of rice crispy & marshmallow treats for our dessert.

bethk likes this post

bethk

bethk
Admin

I WANT RICE KRISPY TREATS !!!

UNCLE JIMMY likes this post

bethk

bethk
Admin

I made a 'last' run to the store to get stuff for when the kids get here tomorrow. I was hoping for inspiration for supper.

Viola! The smell of rotisserie chickens in the oven as I walked through the produce/deli aisles was all it took.

I do think WalMart is the ONLY store I continue to purchase the rotisserie chickens. Publix & Winn Dixie are super expensive and I don't care for their seasonings. WalMart does a good job on being sure they are completely cooked and the seasoning is decent. I will NOT purchase any of the super big ones at Sam's Club ~ too raw! ICK!!!

I made a baked sweet potato & some lima beans to go along....

June, 2023 ~ As it warms up the grills appear! - Page 4 06_23_16

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Jacob.... Happy birthday .... God Bless. ( from uncle Jimmy & aunt Tina in NJ ).
Enjoy your stay at Grandmom's, and Grandpa's.

bethk likes this post

bethk

bethk
Admin

(Jake says, "Thank-you!"

Here's a pic of the Snow Crab Birthday Supper.  He also had some grilled salmon ~ growing boys and all that stuff.  

In lieu of a birthday cake he got 3 little zucchini muffins with a candle.....thank goodness he's of an age that is fine with him!

I'm just happy they got here without any problems on the trip down.

June, 2023 ~ As it warms up the grills appear! - Page 4 06_24_14

UNCLE JIMMY and Imelda HL like this post

bethk

bethk
Admin

Jake's childhood favorite meal ~ chicken fingers, crispy crowns & green beans. Some of us had a side of Mediterranean salad but Jake didn't because he doesn't like raw vegetables, salad or fruits. To each their own!

June, 2023 ~ As it warms up the grills appear! - Page 4 06_25_13

bethk

bethk
Admin

From Lore:

"Dinner Tonight. Stir fried onions, mushrooms, pepper and asparagus; then shrimp added; then cream to finish and served over egg noodles. Yumm!"

June, 2023 ~ As it warms up the grills appear! - Page 4 06_25_14

June, 2023 ~ As it warms up the grills appear! - Page 4 06_25_15

June, 2023 ~ As it warms up the grills appear! - Page 4 06_25_16

June, 2023 ~ As it warms up the grills appear! - Page 4 06_25_17

bethk and UNCLE JIMMY like this post

bethk

bethk
Admin

The kids went to Disney today ~ happy we're close enough to be a convenient 'hotel' so they can save the money from overnight charges. Jake knew we didn't want to go with them, but they asked anyway ~ no thanks, really. LOL It's just way too much walking on concrete for me and we've had our 'days' of going there when we were much younger.

So, with no pressing supper plans I went with the easiest and least stressful idea ~ eggs ~ with sausage & toast. And then as I was eating I realized I didn't take a pic. But I'm sure you can all close your eyes and know what our meals looked like.

bethk

bethk
Admin

From Lore:

"Dinner Tonight. Lentils with lots of veggies in them; and a fish done in my oven. I have no idea what kind of fish, I am really bad about labelling things in my freezer. It was good and definitely not one caught by my fishing sons!"

June, 2023 ~ As it warms up the grills appear! - Page 4 06_26_10

bethk, UNCLE JIMMY and Imelda HL like this post

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Supper was pizza made by Tina. Rice krispy treats for dessert.

bethk likes this post

bethk

bethk
Admin

The kids slept in this morning and then went out and about ~ to the pool for a while and then out shopping. So my day was pretty quiet again.....I'm not complaining.

Tonight I made pork tenderloin w/peach BBQ and salsa, mashed potatoes (Jacob's favorite) and creamed corn with fresh Florida corn.

No one complained....LOL

June, 2023 ~ As it warms up the grills appear! - Page 4 06_27_15

NormM

NormM

This recipe is a keeper. June, 2023 ~ As it warms up the grills appear! - Page 4 Img_1013
Shrimp with linguine, Sun-dried tomatoes and spinach in a creamy cheese sauce.

http://r2j1cp@gmail.com

bethk

bethk
Admin

Recipe looks good, Norm ~ and it's a quick one so if you have cleaned shrimp in the freezer (they thaw in no time!) you can have a beautiful meal on the table in record time.

NormM and UNCLE JIMMY like this post

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Tina made pork meatballs in a tomato's and cubed zucchini .
She made an Apple Betty. Good, but sweet. Ooops, I forgot! She made a corn bread
to sop up the juices too........

bethk likes this post

JanaAZ

Eggplant parm….my favorite. I just like a drizzle of sauce on them so that’s why you don’t see much red.

June, 2023 ~ As it warms up the grills appear! - Page 4 Img_9210

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Supper tonight will be beef stew. Scones and Vanilla flavored all home made biscotti by
Ms. Tina will be dessert's.......

bethk likes this post

bethk

bethk
Admin

At least one breakfast every visit is 'Jake's Usual' ~ One Dippy, One Hard & Log House Toast (with the crusts cut off). He still mentions I was the only one who would cut the crust off his bread/toast. It was such a small thing but has left a lasting memory for him.

June, 2023 ~ As it warms up the grills appear! - Page 4 06_28_21

bethk

bethk
Admin

Jake and girlfriend, Samantha, enjoyed tonight's Provençal Grilled Steak, Vegetable Spaghetti & Broccoli. It's nice to have company with no difficult preferences.....these two eat just about anything. Sam is especially happy with an array of fruits ~ watermelon being her favorite. Luckily I've had great melons this year.

June, 2023 ~ As it warms up the grills appear! - Page 4 Thumbn11

NormM

NormM

I put a chuck roast in the slow cooker with some spicy ingredients and made Chicago style beef sandwiches topped with pickled vegetablesJune, 2023 ~ As it warms up the grills appear! - Page 4 Img_1014

http://r2j1cp@gmail.com

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

bethk wrote:At least one breakfast every visit is 'Jake's Usual' ~ One Dippy, One Hard & Log House Toast (with the crusts cut off).  He still mentions I was the only one who would cut the crust off his bread/toast.  It was such a small thing but has left a lasting memory for him.

June, 2023 ~ As it warms up the grills appear! - Page 4 06_28_21

Haaaa.... good old dippy eggs. I was waiting for you to mention that.
We call them Dunk Eggs .... and I think dippy is so more refined.

Years ago, my aunt Angie said her son Anthony could eat 6 eggs and 6 slices of bacon with 3 slices of toast. My mom said she would believe it; only if she had seen it. Well..... One day, mom heard and smelled the eggs and food cooking, so she went upstairs ( they were renting the 2nd floor of our house ) and low and behold, there was Anthony, with his 6 fried eggs.
He dunked the toast in all the yolks, and threw the rest of the eggs in the garbage. affraid Aunt Angie said "maybe he was not too hungry!"

bethk likes this post

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Tina made beef stew. It was great!.... The scones and biscotti she made were great too.
I'm gonna have a tea and one of each.

bethk and Imelda HL like this post

Cookin Lore

I had a yen for sauerkraut yesterday. So, I had a couple of boneless loin pork chops, put them in the oven with the kraut. Added a potato (cut in half) about a half hour before it was all done. It was OK, but not great. Chops were too lean. For me, there's got to be a little fat around to add flavour. So, I'll do pork hocks again next time. No picture.

bethk and UNCLE JIMMY like this post

bethk

bethk
Admin

Cookin Lore wrote:I had a yen for sauerkraut yesterday.  So, I had a couple of boneless loin pork chops, put them in the oven with the kraut. Added a potato (cut in half) about a half hour before it was all done.  It was OK, but not great.  Chops were too lean.  For me, there's got to be a little fat around to add flavour.  So, I'll do pork hocks again next time.  No picture.

Great minds and all that ~ ~ Grandson and girlfriend are going to one of the fresh water springs to swim & snorkel today but will be back for supper.  I asked what they'd like and HE piped up immediately and asked for Pork & Sauerkraut (with spaetzle), an old time family favorite.  It never ceases to amaze me that both our daughters and now our grandson all ask for the same meal.

So, Pork & Sauerkraut it will be!  Actually have it in the oven now (with the hood vent on high to pull the heat out, I hope).  I temper the canned sauerkraut with some thinly sliced fresh cabbage and a grated apple.  I've been doing that for years and everyone seems to like the combination.  My pork is 'boneless pork ribs", pieces of boneless pork shoulder with a good amount of fat. I season & brown before adding the sauerkraut mixture under and on top of the pork. The spaetzle will get made a little closer to time to eat......

Cookin Lore

A little history about the little dumpling/noodle called Spaetzle. There is a theory that at the time when Hannibal crossed the Alps with elephants, they had flour to make noodles. But, they could only do very rudimentary noodles, and devised that putting the dough on a board and then cutting the dough into the boiling water would cook them. The old Italian word "spezzare" or to cut is perhaps the root of spaetzle. "Spatz" is also the German word for a sparrow, Spaetzle is little sparrow. I got this out of a cookbook called "Cuisines of Germany".

bethk likes this post

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 4 of 5]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum