Cooking Friends
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Cooking Friends

Friends sharing recipes, cooking techniques & menu ideas in a friendly atmosphere.

You are not connected. Please login or register

June, 2023 ~ As it warms up the grills appear!

+2
UNCLE JIMMY
bethk
6 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Go down  Message [Page 2 of 5]

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Tina said I must have enjoyed that sandwich; because I had mayo on my chin
and on my nose. Haaaaa

bethk likes this post

bethk

bethk
Admin

Tonight was burgers over charcoal ~ the best way to cook a burger, for sure. I also char grilled the asparagus ~ drizzled w/olive oil and a sprinkle of s&p. Simple but delicious.

Dane has his burger (6 oz. thick burger patty) grilled rare/medium rare with a slice of American cheese and as much raw onion as will stay on it.

My burger patty (4 oz. thin patty) grilled well done, goes on a grilled brioche bun and then dressed with Frisch's Big Boy Original Tartar Sauce, sliced onion, thin sliced dill pickle & shredded lettuce. It just takes me right back to Ohio.

June, 2023 ~ As it warms up the grills appear! - Page 2 06_09_13

June, 2023 ~ As it warms up the grills appear! - Page 2 06_09_14

UNCLE JIMMY likes this post

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Tina was up at 6:00 this morn, and she made pierogi ......
We had that for supper with fried onions and butter, and a side of sour cream.
I'm full now, but some ice cream will be dessert soon.

bethk likes this post

bethk

bethk
Admin

Despite a sudden downpour (1" in 30 minutes) just prior to time to cook on the gas grill ~ the rain let up and I was still able to stand under the awning to turn the fish I had prepped to cook on a small foil covered pan.

HE got his favored salmon and I had my grouper, coated in mayo & panko ~ such an easy way to get nicely cooked fish without any real fuss.

HE always loves when I reach across the table with my phone in my hand to take a pic of HIS supper ~ especially after he's eaten half of it! LOL

June, 2023 ~ As it warms up the grills appear! - Page 2 06_10_16

June, 2023 ~ As it warms up the grills appear! - Page 2 06_10_17

JanaAZ

We have a concert to attend tonite so we had an early dinner.  Pork chops with mushrooms and a mustard sauce over mashed potatoes. I was really happy with now this came out.

During the day I baked a loaf of sourdough bread swirled with cinnamon sugar and craisins. A friend stopped over right when I took it out of the oven. So instead of giving it to the person I made it for, I gave it to her. Now I need to make another to give away. Tomorrow….June, 2023 ~ As it warms up the grills appear! - Page 2 Img_9111

bethk and UNCLE JIMMY like this post

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Lore.... Have a peachy Birthday!
God Bless!

bethk likes this post

bethk

bethk
Admin

Have a Happy, HAPPY BIRTHDAY, Lore!

Eat lots of cake!!!

Cookin Lore

Thanks! It's going to be a fairly quiet day. Son Michael and DIL Amy are on a Mediterranian adventure for their 20th. wedding anniversary, so it will be son and DIL Danny and Lisa and I going out for dinner somewhere. The chance of me eating lots of cake, however, is somewhere between slim and none! Cake of any kind is really not for me, just not into sweets. But, we'll see.

I was going to take a drive to Niagara Falls, check out some of the wonderful gardens, but it has started to rain. That's ok too, we need the rain. Don't know where they plan to take me, but I hope they have a great steak on the menu! LOL

bethk and NormM like this post

bethk

bethk
Admin

I pulled some chicken wings out of the freezer last night to let them thaw in the refrigerator so I can steam / air fry them for tonight.

I wasn't sure what to make to go with them. I just bought an English cucumber and when I moved it to check on what else might be in the vegetable drawer I noticed it felt like it was going soft. Man, NOTHING lasts long here. I don't know if it's because it gets moved from place to place with different temperatures in the stores or if everything is just fairly old by the time it gets displayed for sale. But I knew it needed to be used.

So, tonight will be Buffalo Chicken Wings and a Mediterranean Salad (minus the sauteed chicken breast). The salad was easy to get put together early because I had everything in the refrigerator as well as the dressing already made.

So, supper is all but done!

I guess it's time for a nap..........

LOL

bethk

bethk
Admin

June, 2023 ~ As it warms up the grills appear! - Page 2 06_11_14

The wings came out great. Every time I make them I say a "Thanks, Norm!" in my head for telling about the Alton Brown method of steaming, refrigerator drying & baking (I use the air fry feature on my oven). They are usually in the oven for 20 minutes per side and come out with all the fat gone and super crispy ~ they even stay crispy after having been rolled around in some of the butter/Frank's Buffalo Wing Sauce.

I also decided to air fry a sweet potato at the last minute. Peeled, cut into 'fries', steamed in the microwave for 2 1/2 minutes with just a splash of water to get a bit of steam. Then they were scattered on a sheet pan & sprayed with Olive Oil Spray ~ air fried for 20 minutes with the wings and turned once. Oh, and I seasoned them with just a tiny bit of Rich's Mad Hunky Seasoning.

All in all, a very tasty supper.

NormM

NormM

I smoked some ribs today. June, 2023 ~ As it warms up the grills appear! - Page 2 Img_0924

bethk and JanaAZ like this post

http://r2j1cp@gmail.com

bethk

bethk
Admin

Did you smoke the beans, too? They look delicious!

Ever since I started really paying attention to YOUR rib pics I find myself trying to find the meatiest racks I can.

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

[size=18]Wow! Those wings are Jimmy Eating kind of looking.
I have wings, and I will suggest it to Tina tomorrow. Ooops! Nope. She has to go to uncles tomorrow. Unless I do them. She was at uncles today also. He hit 101 years old today. The kids went down to sing HBD. He was cranky because the cake was served in the living room, and he was worried about crumbs on the floor and chairs. BTW... he has severe OCD.
Years ago, when the kids were little, he would yell at the kids because they would step on the lawn and bend the grass blades. LOL. He reminds Tina to turn the coffee cups in the cabinet, with the handle sticking out towards the front, and all spaced the same.

Enough of that silly crap!...... I had noodles and chicken broth for supper. Breakfast was pork roll egg and cheese on a bagel. I just cooked breakfast for tomorrow. Frittata, with ham, cheese, mushrooms, and broccoli. I've got my Dave's 17 grains bread, and tabasco hot sauce; all ready to go!

bethk likes this post

NormM

NormM

bethk wrote:Did you smoke the beans, too?  They look delicious!

Ever since I started really paying attention to YOUR rib pics I find myself trying to find the meatiest racks I can.

This bean recipe came from Ollie Gates (Gates & Sons BBQ). It is one of the oldest and highest ranked BBQ restaurants in Kansas City. It is cut down from restaurant size and altered for home use and says to add liquid smoke.  I usually use hickory smoked salt instead but the last two times I made it, I put it in an open container in the smoker for the smoke taste.  I think it tastes better that way.  I have read that Mr. Gates puts them on the rack under his brisket to catch the smokey drippings from them.  I add chopped brisket to mine when I cook brisket. Last time I added some cooked, crumbled bacon.

http://r2j1cp@gmail.com

Cookin Lore

Fun, unexpected dinner with friends tonight. We have a problem in the building right now. Somebody seems to not like one of the members of our 5 person board, and has started an action to get her removed. Vote for the removal is tomorrow, so I stopped in to see one of my neighbours to talk. We had a glass of wine, another neighbour stopped in. So, we're all of the same mind of keeping this person on the board and were discussing what's going on. Time went by, and Anne (hostess) said she would put some chicken wings in the oven, and I said that I had a pot of marinara sauce with a lot of vegetables on my stove, all ready cooked. Then she said she had some frozen meatballs that could go in the sauce. She cooked some pasta, and voila! Dinner was done. I love being part of a community like this. I hope tomorrow works out well! No pictures!

bethk

bethk
Admin

Yesterday I drove Lyn and friend, Barb, to Orlando to have Lyn's car serviced. After the car was done we went to lunch at PF Chang's and then to the mall ~ from there to The Container Store ~ and on to Costco. Our last stop was the International Market so I could get some baby bok choy & fresh pea pods.

We had a super fun time ~ lots of laughter ~ and was just the recipe for R&R Lyn needed after all the difficulties she's had to deal with taking care of Bill's medical problems. Her other car needs to be taken in for service, too, so we may have a repeat of the trip next week......

bethk

bethk
Admin

When the kids were young I used to make 'Walking Tacos' ~ a single serve bag of Frito's Corn Chips slightly smashed, a scoop of taco meat and then the toppings of their choice.

So, Blast-From-the-Past.....Taco in a Bowl ~ same thing but done in a bowl and sitting at the table instead of walking around eating after band practice.

June, 2023 ~ As it warms up the grills appear! - Page 2 06_13_18

NormM and UNCLE JIMMY like this post

JanaAZ

I had a friend who “dropped a hint” that he adored coconut cream pie and I found out yesterday was his birthday so I made him a pie. unfortunately I has to bring it down to Phoenix. I didn’t eat any but people went nuts over it. At least it didn’t melt on the way down.

June, 2023 ~ As it warms up the grills appear! - Page 2 Img_9113
June, 2023 ~ As it warms up the grills appear! - Page 2 Img_9112
June, 2023 ~ As it warms up the grills appear! - Page 2 Img_9114

bethk, NormM and UNCLE JIMMY like this post

bethk

bethk
Admin

Dane's been picking green beans ~ we're fortunate they're still producing with all the heat we've been having. Usually, when it gets in the 90's everything just stops. But we still are getting fresh green beans!

I saw in the Winn Dixie ad they had a BOGO on ham slices ~ one little slice is enough for the two of us. So I washed & quartered 3 little yukon gold potatoes, chunked up half a sweet onion & cut the ham into pieces ~ boiled it until the potatoes were tender. Then I added the cut beans and steamed them on top of everything until they were tender.

It's like a mini boiled dinner ~ at least the kind I made regularly when the girls were in school. It was an easy meal and one that filled them up when we had green beans ready to be picked in the garden. Back then I used smoked sausage but the ham is a good substitute and not as much fat (although I DO like the flavor).

June, 2023 ~ As it warms up the grills appear! - Page 2 06_14_18

June, 2023 ~ As it warms up the grills appear! - Page 2 06_14_19

NormM and UNCLE JIMMY like this post

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Where did yesterday go? Wow! Time flies
Well, anyway, yesterdays meal was broccoli soup from Panera's store, and sorrowfully, an
UN-Grilled Cheese sandwich to share. ..... UN GRILLED ????? YEP! They must use melted yellow cheese and the bread was Not Even browned; as a griddled cheese should be made. It was a floppy cheese sandwich. Tina fixed it. She fried it in a little butter. She was just too tired to take it back to the Panera's. Here's the kicker!!!! One Griddled cheese and one soup and a hunk of bread was
............ $22.00. ......... NEVER AGAIN !

Well, anyway, today will be a single pork tenderloin with carrots and broccoli; served over rice.

bethk and NormM like this post

bethk

bethk
Admin

I had a thawed chicken breast and no idea.....then I saw my peach salsa I made the other day (California peaches ~ not really 'peachy' but still a bit tasty). So I decided to just cut the breast into slices/cutlets and I seasoned & browned, then I added a bit of that peach BBQ sauce I made (Sweet Baby Rays with a blitz-ed up half jar of peach preserves I bought by mistake). Man, that was excellent! Just enough sweetness without being overly so.

I sliced & broiled a green & yellow summer squash (zucchini) and a few slices of onion.....stacked them for serving. That, along with the fresh picked green beans was plenty for the two of us.

June, 2023 ~ As it warms up the grills appear! - Page 2 06_15_15

bethk

bethk
Admin

From Lore:

"Tonight. Piece of sirloin tip roast done in the airfry feature of my oven. And a salad using the lettuce, basil, a bit of mint from the hydroponic “garden” that I have in my kitchen. Steak was done perfectly med rare!"

June, 2023 ~ As it warms up the grills appear! - Page 2 06_15_16

bethk

bethk
Admin

I knew I had a small strip steak in the freezer that needed to be grilled. I also grilled baby bok choy for me as a vegetable (used a quickie soy, fish sauce & brown sugar + other stuff marinade). I thought it was delicious. HE, however, isn't a fan except when it's included in a stir fry and it's cooked until tender so HE got reheated leftover green beans.

HE asked what I seasoned the meat with and I looked at him and said, "Just salt & pepper". But letting the meat get liberally seasoned and left to sit in the refrigerator for an hour or so makes a huge difference in the taste. I thought it was really tasty, too!

June, 2023 ~ As it warms up the grills appear! - Page 2 06_16_15

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

[size=18]It was a damp and breezy rainy day today, so upon wakening, I saw that Tina had a small pot of chicken soup cooking. We enjoyed that with no objections at all.
We had some rye bread to soak up the juices.

I just made fried peppers; eggs , with potato slices, onions and cheese for breakfast tomorrow.

bethk likes this post

Cookin Lore

No cooking again last night for me. We have a large room at the top of my building called the Observation area. It's not used much, because the elevator doesn't go up there. Yesterday, after my shift at thrift, I went up there just to take a picture of the sunset from there, and heard voices as I walked in. Lo and behold, there was a party going on. I had seen a notice on the bulleting board in our lobby a couple of weeks ago about having "Tapas or Happy Hour" up there on a Friday afternoon, but thought that it was only a one time thing.

Well, it's hopefully going to keep going, I saw people I knew, met a couple of new ones, there was sooooo much food and lots of wine. Fun time. My leftover dinner is still in the fridge! LOL

bethk, UNCLE JIMMY and JanaAZ like this post

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 2 of 5]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum