Cooking Friends
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Cooking Friends

Friends sharing recipes, cooking techniques & menu ideas in a friendly atmosphere.

You are not connected. Please login or register

June, 2023 ~ As it warms up the grills appear!

+2
UNCLE JIMMY
bethk
6 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Go down  Message [Page 5 of 5]

bethk

bethk
Admin

Cookin Lore wrote:A little history about the little dumpling/noodle called Spaetzle.  There is a theory that at the time when Hannibal crossed the Alps with elephants, they had flour to make noodles.  But, they could only do very rudimentary noodles, and devised that putting the dough on a board and then cutting the dough into the boiling water would cook them.  The old Italian  word "spezzare" or to cut is perhaps the root of spaetzle.  "Spatz" is also the German word for a sparrow, Spaetzle is little sparrow.  I got this out of a cookbook called "Cuisines of Germany".  

Dane's German grandmother, the originator of the family traditional meal, always called the noodles 'spetsloff' (and I'm making up the spelling because I never saw it in print, just heard her accented voice saying the word.....

Dane's step-mother always considered ANY family traditional recipe a 'secret' and wouldn't share or let others watch it being made. But the first time I tasted the sacred noodles I knew I could make them. MY grandmother made a very similar drop noodle, dropped more round into rich chicken broth that we called Chicken Ribbley (rivel) soup. Even Dane's sister wasn't awarded the recipe ~ so I taught her how to make them.

UNCLE JIMMY likes this post

bethk

bethk
Admin

Supper was a success! Even girlfriend Sam had seconds. She is such a polite young lady ~ just a very pleasant guest. Jake got his fill and may explode later......

LOL

June, 2023 ~ As it warms up the grills appear! - Page 5 06_29_14

UNCLE JIMMY likes this post

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Whoopie Doo. Tina made a big pot of Spaghetti sauce and meatballs and sausage.
It was good, but we had spaghetti sauce and pasta three or four times this past week.
Enough I say.

bethk likes this post

bethk

bethk
Admin

From Lore:

"Dinner Tonight. A ‘burger’ or mini meatloaf that I did for myself. Made up a few of these instead of making a real meatloaf. It was great, I made mushrooms, onion chunks, red pepper and slices of crinkle cut potatoes, all done using my air fry feature in my oven. Yumm!"

June, 2023 ~ As it warms up the grills appear! - Page 5 06_29_10

bethk and UNCLE JIMMY like this post

Cookin Lore

bethk wrote:
Cookin Lore wrote:A little history about the little dumpling/noodle called Spaetzle.  There is a theory that at the time when Hannibal crossed the Alps with elephants, they had flour to make noodles.  But, they could only do very rudimentary noodles, and devised that putting the dough on a board and then cutting the dough into the boiling water would cook them.  The old Italian  word "spezzare" or to cut is perhaps the root of spaetzle.  "Spatz" is also the German word for a sparrow, Spaetzle is little sparrow.  I got this out of a cookbook called "Cuisines of Germany".  

Dane's German grandmother, the originator of the family traditional meal, always called the noodles 'spetsloff' (and I'm making up the spelling because I never saw it in print, just heard her accented voice saying the word.....

Dane's step-mother always considered ANY family traditional recipe a 'secret' and wouldn't share or let others watch it being made.  But the first time I tasted the sacred noodles I knew I could make them.  MY grandmother made a very similar drop noodle, dropped more round into rich chicken broth that we called Chicken Ribbley (rivel) soup.  Even Dane's sister wasn't awarded the recipe ~ so I taught her how to make them.

So many of these so-called secret family recipes, I think, are made/devised/invented by mothers to stretch food budgets! My family also called the "rivel" "Ruebele" Made from things available before anyone had refrigeration and other long term storage. Like cabbage rolls. Proper high German calls them Kohl Rouladen. Roulade, of course from the French rouler, to roll. In my German/Romanian background they were "Galuschken" similar to the Russian/Ukranian pronounciation.

bethk likes this post

NormM

NormM

There was an episode of Friends where someone was trying to figure out the secret cookie recipe of her aunt. They finally figured out that she kept it secret because she didn't want anyone to know that it was really the recipe for Toll House Cookies.

http://r2j1cp@gmail.com

Cookin Lore

NormM wrote:There was an episode of Friends where someone was trying to figure out the secret cookie recipe of her aunt.  They finally figured out that she kept it secret because she didn't want anyone to know that it was really the recipe for Toll House Cookies.

My sister said that her ex-mother-in-law never gave her the "secret" to the potatoes that she always made for her son. Sis asked two or three times, and MIL always changed the subject when the topic came up. Sis decided that if that's her only hold on her son, so be it. My MIL was always willing to share.

bethk

bethk
Admin

The kids are at Disney Springs and planning to go to supper there so WE are going out tonight. Gave Jim a call and he's joining us ~ I don't care where as long as I don't have to walk into a kitchen and cook! LOL

(( it's been a long week of cooking ...... ))

Imelda HL

Imelda HL

bethk wrote:
Cookin Lore wrote:I had a yen for sauerkraut yesterday.  So, I had a couple of boneless loin pork chops, put them in the oven with the kraut. Added a potato (cut in half) about a half hour before it was all done.  It was OK, but not great.  Chops were too lean.  For me, there's got to be a little fat around to add flavour.  So, I'll do pork hocks again next time.  No picture.

Great minds and all that ~ ~ Grandson and girlfriend are going to one of the fresh water springs to swim & snorkel today but will be back for supper.  I asked what they'd like and HE piped up immediately and asked for Pork & Sauerkraut (with spaetzle), an old time family favorite.  It never ceases to amaze me that both our daughters and now our grandson all ask for the same meal.

So, Pork & Sauerkraut it will be!  Actually have it in the oven now (with the hood vent on high to pull the heat out, I hope).  I temper the canned sauerkraut with some thinly sliced fresh cabbage and a grated apple.  I've been doing that for years and everyone seems to like the combination.  My pork is 'boneless pork ribs", pieces of boneless pork shoulder with a good amount of fat.  I season & brown before adding the sauerkraut mixture under and on top of the pork. The spaetzle will get made a little closer to time to eat......

I love to read your stories about your grandson and girl friend, they are so blessed to have a grandma like you June, 2023 ~ As it warms up the grills appear! - Page 5 2599281016

NormM and UNCLE JIMMY like this post

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 5 of 5]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum