Cooking Friends
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Cooking Friends

Friends sharing recipes, cooking techniques & menu ideas in a friendly atmosphere.

You are not connected. Please login or register

MARCH - 2023 MARCH TO THE STOVE AND GET "COOKIN"

+2
bethk
UNCLE JIMMY
6 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Go down  Message [Page 4 of 6]

bethk

bethk
Admin

Well, you're right, Lore......it is BLACKened.

(( Happens to all of us ~ what's funny is usually I find that I really LIKE the taste....especially on vegetables like the last time I made air fried Brussels sprouts. ))

bethk

bethk
Admin

I think I mentioned Lyn's husband is back in the hospital ~ he's had difficulty breathing (he does have congestive heart failure) and he's awaiting getting on the doctor's schedule for yet another heart cath, possibly needing additional stents. Lyn is exhausted....as she's the one carrying the load for everything that needs to be done.

So I texted her today and asked if she'd like me to come to the hospital to kidnap her at lunch time ........... I mean, she really had no choice if it was a kidnapping, did she?

We had a lovely lunch and just sat and chatted for a couple hours.

I had taken some shrimp out of the freezer this morning to thaw so when I got home this afternoon I hurried around and got supper going. Fortunately, with only 2 dishes to make, it wasn't all that time consuming. It came out pretty tasty!

MARCH - 2023 MARCH TO THE STOVE AND GET "COOKIN" - Page 4 03_20_12

bethk

bethk
Admin

On my email I'm signed up for a neighborhood group ~ encompasses more than just our local villa homes. It's called "Nextdoor" and it's a place to vent about problems, ask for help in finding handymen or repair or retail purchases.

And every once in a while someone posts an amazing comment that makes me very happy we live here. Here's the post I saw today:

"Terence Garvey • The Villages, FL

My Vietnam Veterans Association golf group collects money at the end of every round. Every 3 months we go to a fast food restaurant and raffle off the money to the employees. Last Thu we gave over $1,200 to an employee at PDQ. It's a lot of fun to see the reaction. We've given away more than $16,000 since we started this."

There are wonderful people in this world!

UNCLE JIMMY likes this post

bethk

bethk
Admin

From Lore:

"Dinner Tonight. I can’t believe that I didn’t do the years ago. I have said that I really like meatloaf, but don’t want the leftovers. So, I made a meatloaf type mix, formed that into 8 oz patties and froze them. Today I took one of them out, put it into an ovenproof dish with a potato for about 45 minutes. Made a salad to go along. Yumm!"

MARCH - 2023 MARCH TO THE STOVE AND GET "COOKIN" - Page 4 03_20_13

bethk and UNCLE JIMMY like this post

bethk

bethk
Admin

From Lore:

"Deviled Easter Eggs. Just thought these might be interesting here. A few years ago I made these eggs when I was going to an Easter thing. Once I had separated the cooked eggs, I put the whites into water with food colouring. Red made the pink; blue was a light colour; the dark purple (my fav) was combining red and blue. They were a big hit at the party. The green stringy things on the eggs was alfalfa sprouts!"

MARCH - 2023 MARCH TO THE STOVE AND GET "COOKIN" - Page 4 03_20_14

bethk, UNCLE JIMMY and JanaAZ like this post

bethk

bethk
Admin

Those eggs are wonderful! A really clever idea ~ especially to take somewhere.....I always like to make something interesting.

bethk

bethk
Admin

bethk wrote:From Lore:

"Dinner Tonight. I can’t believe that I didn’t do the years ago. I have said that I really like meatloaf, but don’t want the leftovers. So, I made a meatloaf type mix, formed that into 8 oz patties and froze them. Today I took one of them out, put it into an ovenproof dish with a potato for about 45 minutes. Made a salad to go along. Yumm!"

Lore ~ I do that all the time when I mix up a gigantic batch of meatloaf. Even though I make just 2 lb. pans of meatloaf I find there's still leftovers (and you all know how I feel about leftovers....). So I always make a bunch of oval shaped patties and freeze them, when they're frozen solid I wrap them individually in plastic wrap and stash them in a freezer bag. When I want Salisbury Steak (which is what I call them) I thaw them overnight in the refrigerator with as many patties as I want (usually 3 ~ 2 for him and 1 for me). I brown them in a skillet and then add some mushrooms, maybe some onion and make a brown gravy to simmer them in. Sometimes I use canned cream soup (adding some browning agent like Kitchen Bouquet) and sometimes I'll use a bit of an envelope of Lipton Onion Soup Mix to get that old time flavor.

It's especially good if I have some mashed potatoes in the freezer in a 16 oz. container that I can thaw & reheat (gotta bring them to a boil to bring them back to their original 'mashed potato' texture). It's a good meal for when you don't want a whole meatloaf.

Cookin Lore

bethk wrote:Those eggs are wonderful!  A really clever idea ~ especially to take somewhere.....I always like to make something interesting.

Thanks. The dish that they are in is a very old Tupperware container. Normally I would put them on a nice glass dish, but they travel better in Tupperware! I think everything travels better in it! LOL

bethk

bethk
Admin

I made a mistake when I was planning our meal for supper.....I thought Dane's food combination list had listed sauerkraut possible with protein (in this case, pork shoulder boneless 'ribs'). But when I reviewed the list AFTER I had prepped my 15 oz. can of sauerkraut and mixed with fresh sliced cabbage and a grated apple, I found HE isn't allowed the mix.

Darn.

So, plan 'B' is for ME to have the pork and sauerkraut (with some mashed potatoes that just happened to be in the freezer....).

HE will have pork braised and then sliced kale will be added. He will have steamed cauliflower to go with his in lieu of potatoes.

I'm glad I re-checked his approved foods list. He's been doing really well with not having gut pain when he adheres to the proper combination of foods. I don't want to mess that up.

bethk

bethk
Admin

HE enjoyed his 'approved' meal ~ and that means I didn't hear a complaint! LOL

I enjoyed my meal ~ I've been hungry for pork & sauerkraut for a while and it was just what I was hungry for.

MARCH - 2023 MARCH TO THE STOVE AND GET "COOKIN" - Page 4 03_21_20

MARCH - 2023 MARCH TO THE STOVE AND GET "COOKIN" - Page 4 03_21_21

bethk

bethk
Admin

From Lore:

"Dinner Tonight pork tenderloin with mushroom sauce, sprouts and squash."

MARCH - 2023 MARCH TO THE STOVE AND GET "COOKIN" - Page 4 03_21_22

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Supper last night was a pot roast with Dutch noodles.
Green cut beans with diced tomatoes.
It was really hot just the oven and pots cooking, made it feel like it was
ready to start up the A/C cooling. It's ok now though. 34 degrees out.

bethk likes this post

bethk

bethk
Admin

I took a 2 lb. meatloaf out of the freezer the other day and just let it defrost in the refrigerator. HE can't have the ketchup/brown sugar glaze on his so I just mixed up a tiny bit to slather on one end of the little loaf ~ perfect for me!

I made the green beans (because they're growing like weeds....) and I broiled some zucchini planks since we can't have potatoes or rice or noodles with the meat.

But you know what? It was perfectly tasty and neither of us missed the starch!

MARCH - 2023 MARCH TO THE STOVE AND GET "COOKIN" - Page 4 03_22_16

Cookin Lore

read about you picking your fresh beans and whatever you can grow, and I really, really wish I had at least a balcony.  But, I don't and I don't want to move any more So, I found this wonderful thing, called an AeroGarden.  I am growing some thyme, dill, parsley, mint and two types of lettuce. All Hydroponically. The lettuce grow like crazy as does the dill. It sits on my kitchen counter, and I have fresh herbs and lettuce for a salad.  Sending a separate picture, because this is on my laptop and I only know how to send pictures from my phone.

MARCH - 2023 MARCH TO THE STOVE AND GET "COOKIN" - Page 4 03_22_10

bethk, UNCLE JIMMY and JanaAZ like this post

JanaAZ

Steve had some oral surgery yesterday so right now he's on liquified foods. So today I made him a mushroom bisque and blitzed the daylights out of it in the vitamix. I have to say, I wish I made more because its delicious. Its nothing to look at without garnishments, but it sure is good...and it was the first savory item hes had in 2 days.

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

It was leftover pot roast tonight. Desert was rice krispy treats. Snap, crackle, ;pop,
and butter and marshmallow's.

bethk likes this post

bethk

bethk
Admin

Lyn's husband is scheduled to have his heart cath this afternoon so I told her I'd come and sit with her as she waits for the procedure to be done.  It's always so nerve wracking to just sit and wait.....and wait.....and wait.

I had to come up with an idea for supper ~ decided on the Chicken Mediterranean Salad ~ so I got the salad mixed up with the simple dressing of equal parts lemon juice & olive oil and seasoned with s&p and Greek oregano.  It's better the longer it marinates.

A chicken breast got thawed and then sliced in half and pounded lightly to get it even in thickness.  It's got a marinade of olive oil, paprika, s&p and Greek oregano ~ just enough to make a paste to slather over the sides.  It'll be fine until I get home and then all I have to do is quickly saute the chicken and cut it up ~ put it over the salad and supper's ready!

I just went into the refrigerator to give my salad a toss and it just didn't look right.....suddenly I remembered the kalamata olives that need to be included! Boy, I'm glad I thought of that before I served it up and realized it then.

Maybe tonight I'll remember to offer Dane a bit of broken up Feta cheese......I forget that on a regular basis!

MARCH - 2023 MARCH TO THE STOVE AND GET "COOKIN" - Page 4 03_23_13

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Tina is doing her shopping run in PA today. She said she will bring pizza home.
Sounds good to me! ...... I had two eggs for breakfast today so far. I'll skip lunch just to make room for whatever else like Krispy Kream doughnuts. Oh! they are so good.

bethk likes this post

JanaAZ

Cookin Lore wrote:read about you picking your fresh beans and whatever you can grow, and I really, really wish I had at least a balcony.  But, I don't and I don't want to move any more So, I found this wonderful thing, called an AeroGarden.  I am growing some thyme, dill, parsley, mint and two types of lettuce. All Hydroponically. The lettuce grow like crazy as does the dill. It sits on my kitchen counter, and I have fresh herbs and lettuce for a salad.  Sending a separate picture, because this is on my laptop and I only know how to send pictures from my phone.

I’ve had one for about 5 years. I have the 9 pod. I’ve found sometimes the herbs grow like crazy and other times they barely do anything. This time my dill is going nutso and my basil is eh. Usually it’s the other way around. I have not been successful with tomatoes but it sure is nice to have fresh herbs when you want them. Enjoy

bethk

bethk
Admin

I sat with Lyn at the hospital waiting room while Bill was having his procedure. It took twice as long as anticipated so I was happy to be there to keep her company.

When he finally got out she found he did need another stent (this makes 6 total) and he'll be there for another couple days while they run additional tests to see if there are other problems contributing to his breathing issues.

By the time I got home Dane said it was too late to fix supper so we'll have tonight's supper tomorrow evening. He said he had leftovers. I just had a bowl of breakfast cereal ~ Breakfast for Supper! LOL

bethk

bethk
Admin

Dane is the 'Resident Gardner' at our house ~ I can wilt a flower just looking at it! LOL

He shares plants with his sister and here's pics of a plant she shared with him ~ a Walking Iris. It's a funny little plant ~ once it blooms it only lasts 1 day and then it's done.

MARCH - 2023 MARCH TO THE STOVE AND GET "COOKIN" - Page 4 03_24_15

MARCH - 2023 MARCH TO THE STOVE AND GET "COOKIN" - Page 4 03_24_16

MARCH - 2023 MARCH TO THE STOVE AND GET "COOKIN" - Page 4 03_24_17

MARCH - 2023 MARCH TO THE STOVE AND GET "COOKIN" - Page 4 03_24_18

NormM and UNCLE JIMMY like this post

Cookin Lore

JanaAZ wrote:
Cookin Lore wrote:read about you picking your fresh beans and whatever you can grow, and I really, really wish I had at least a balcony.  But, I don't and I don't want to move any more So, I found this wonderful thing, called an AeroGarden.  I am growing some thyme, dill, parsley, mint and two types of lettuce. All Hydroponically. The lettuce grow like crazy as does the dill. It sits on my kitchen counter, and I have fresh herbs and lettuce for a salad.  Sending a separate picture, because this is on my laptop and I only know how to send pictures from my phone.

I’ve had one for about 5 years. I have the 9 pod. I’ve found sometimes the herbs grow like crazy and other times they barely do anything. This time my dill is going nutso and my basil is eh.  Usually it’s the other way around. I have not been successful with tomatoes but it sure is nice to have fresh herbs when you want them. Enjoy

How can you grow tomatoes in this? It's not very tall. Mine is hydroponics, no soill.

bethk

bethk
Admin

Cookin Lore wrote:

How can you grow tomatoes in this?  It's not very tall.  Mine is hydroponics, no soill.  

Lore ~ go to 'aerogarden.com' site and you can purchase inexpensive cherry tomato pods ~ like under $7 ~ that will grow in your little area. It might be fun just to play around with. Heaven knows I've spent more than that on a hunch of playing with food!

Cookin Lore

bethk wrote:
Cookin Lore wrote:

How can you grow tomatoes in this?  It's not very tall.  Mine is hydroponics, no soill.  

Lore ~ go to 'aerogarden.com' site and you can purchase inexpensive cherry tomato pods ~ like under $7 ~ that will grow in your little area.  It might be fun just to play around with.  Heaven knows I've spent more than that on a hunch of playing with food!

Oh, I had no idea. The price surely is not a deterrent in any of this. My main reason for getting it is of course to have some fresh herbs, and I have found that I am wasting food when I buy the fresh herbs. And, of course that is also $$$. Will look at it. Thanks.

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

We don't know suppers intent, but I would think shaved beef sliders with onions, and possibly????? Time will tell! bell peppers.

bethk likes this post

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 4 of 6]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum