Cooking Friends
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Cooking Friends

Friends sharing recipes, cooking techniques & menu ideas in a friendly atmosphere.

You are not connected. Please login or register

MARCH - 2023 MARCH TO THE STOVE AND GET "COOKIN"

+2
bethk
UNCLE JIMMY
6 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Go down  Message [Page 2 of 6]

bethk

bethk
Admin

I was almost surprised when I asked HIM about his gut reaction to the Dill Pickle Soup & toasted Sourdough last night.....HE said he was fine all night and never woke up in pain. Phew! I dodged a bullet with that one....even though HE and I had discussed the ingredients and his 'eat-this-with-that-and-stay-away-from-that' list.

Tonight was a protein ~ leftover meatloaf ~ so no starch or starchy vegetables....or any fiber stuff. I don't think he'll have any problems.

MARCH - 2023 MARCH TO THE STOVE AND GET "COOKIN" - Page 2 03_06_18

UNCLE JIMMY likes this post

bethk

bethk
Admin

Oh, Man! What a day!

I met Lyn for an iced tea this afternoon and when I got home HE was in his recliner with his foot covered with the heating pad. "What did you do????" HE started to explain he was trying to move the umbrella in the courtyard and one of the concrete blocks holding it from blowing over.......

NEVERMIND! DON'T SAY ANY MORE......Aaaarrrrggghhhh!

I saw his lips moving but I had my finger in my ears and said, "La, la, la, la, la, la......" out loud so I couldn't hear any more.

I don't DO injuries.

NOPE! You get hurt ~ you're on your own.

But, of course, he needed help to bandage his big toe. Ewwwwww! Feet! Toe! UGLY!!!

So, I did my best without looking at it closely. He wanted to tell me how much his toe hurts but enough is enough and I don't want to hear any more.

I had a couple burger patties thawed. HE had to put on his shoes and go out in the courtyard to light the charcoal to cook them.

We had the last of the leftover Mediterranian Salad, I had sauteed spinach w/shallot, HE had steamed cauliflower. (And I had a slice of grilled sourdough bread ~ felt bad to eat it in front of him but he didn't seem bothered by it.)

MARCH - 2023 MARCH TO THE STOVE AND GET "COOKIN" - Page 2 03_07_23

bethk

bethk
Admin

From Lore:

"Dinner Tonight. Super large shrimp, calamari steak and a big salad. Costco had these calamari steaks. Package of 10 for $19.95. They are almost half inch thick, about the size of the palm of my hand. I put a little oil , spiced them and fried them at very high heat in my old grill pan. Soooo good done in about two minutes per side.

I have never seen them in a grocery store. I’ve had them twice in a restaurant, and once a friend who works in the grocery industry and he brought some to a party. Shrimp are Argentinian wild caught, really big, but they were both head and shell on and a PITA to prep.

Salad was pretty well standard. Lettuce, tomato, cuc, red pepper, scallion, parsley, avocado."

MARCH - 2023 MARCH TO THE STOVE AND GET "COOKIN" - Page 2 03_07_24

MARCH - 2023 MARCH TO THE STOVE AND GET "COOKIN" - Page 2 03_07_10

bethk and UNCLE JIMMY like this post

bethk

bethk
Admin

I know what you're saying about the huge, head-on shrimps.....tasty but a real pain to clean. They're big enough to deal with but trying to keep the head attached and still slit them down the back to remove the vein is difficult to say the least.

I've only done it once and that was enough for me ~ fresh shrimp off the 'day boats' so the shrimp were just iced on the boat and not frozen. And they were $$expensive! So I've done it and don't need to do it again.

I've seen the calamari steaks on TV but never have I seen them for sale. That's really interesting.

bethk

bethk
Admin

Trying to come up with ideas for meals that fit 'HIS' food constraints is getting more and more difficult. I have to come up with ideas that do NOT include starches (potatoes, carrots, parsnips, pasta or noodles) to go with proteins.

HE came up with the idea for pork ~ I agreed it had been a while since we had some. Then I remembered I picked up some little Brussles sprouts and I had some zucchini so I went with it ~ Braised Pork Shoulder Steaks with Pan Roasted Zucchini/Onions and Brussels Sprouts/Onions.

I have to say, it was pretty tasty ~ ~ either that or I was really hungry.........

LOL

MARCH - 2023 MARCH TO THE STOVE AND GET "COOKIN" - Page 2 03_08_17

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Tina volunteered to make pizza. So pizza it was!...
Jimmy Jr came for some after work, and DD was home to eat with us.
She has a new job  MARCH - 2023 MARCH TO THE STOVE AND GET "COOKIN" - Page 2 940422454  Yay !!!!  Working at the Kinder care; watching the kids in day care.

bethk likes this post

bethk

bethk
Admin

Breakfast for supper! Vegetable Omelettes......mine with bits of cream cheese added and HIS with American Slices.

I thought I did really well ~ didn't break either one and got it flipped over without covering the stove with uncooked egg. I 'cheated' a bit and slid the omelette on to a pan lid (HIS got cooked in a 10" skillet w/lid) and then I just had to flip it (quickly) back into the skillet to finish cooking on the other side. Added the cooked vegetables & cheese & finally doubled them up and slid them on our plates. I like to add a bit of taco sauce to the top of mine ~ been eating omelettes that way for as long as I can remember.

MARCH - 2023 MARCH TO THE STOVE AND GET "COOKIN" - Page 2 03_09_14

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Had a sirloin steak and an onion bagel.
DD made taco's. I may have one later as a snack.

bethk likes this post

bethk

bethk
Admin

I was convinced the meal I was hungry for was spaghetti squash w/marinara.

Unfortunately, the spaghetti squash I picked up had been picked too green (and no real sign of that from the outside.....sigh......) so it got tossed. I asked HIM if he thought he could deal with pasta w/marinara even though it's not on his 'approved' foods list. HE said the worst that could happen was he would tell our friends and family that I tried to kill him...... LOL

So, a meal of angel hair pasta & marinara with some fresh green beans was made.

I thought it was very tasty ~ and HE seemed to enjoy his, as well. He didn't overeat so, with any luck, he won't be awake at 2 a.m. with pains.

I'd like to think his gut has healed itself a bit and he can start eating regular meals once in a while.

MARCH - 2023 MARCH TO THE STOVE AND GET "COOKIN" - Page 2 03_10_18

Cookin Lore

bethk wrote:I know what you're saying about the huge, head-on shrimps.....tasty but a real pain to clean.  They're big enough to deal with but trying to keep the head attached and still slit them down the back to remove the vein is difficult to say the least.

I've only done it once and that was enough for me ~ fresh shrimp off the 'day boats' so the shrimp were just iced on the boat and not frozen.  And they were $$expensive!  So I've done it and don't need to do it again.

I've seen the calamari steaks on TV but never have I seen them for sale.  That's really interesting.

The calamari steaks were absolutely amazing I knew that it would be easy to overcook them and they would be tough, so I had my salad already on my plate, my wine poured etc. when I put them in my old grill pan. Both times when I had one in a restaurant, it was served with a cream sauce on an egg noodle. I like mine better, as I had the spicy flavour and seafood taste. These will definitely be in my freezer as long as I can get them.

bethk

bethk
Admin

We had community lunch today ~ happens once a month at a local country club.

And since we don't usually eat a large lunch, even though it was just a sandwich / sweet potato fries for me and Cobb salad for HIM, it was still enough that neither of us wants any supper. I did have an apple about an hour ago but it's just because I was craving something sweet.

So, Lucky ME, no cooking tonight!

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Yesterday we had bucatini with marinara sauce.
I had peppers with mine. Just a little sauce on my spaghetti. The grated cheese was under the
spaghetti. It melts nicer when It is covered. Just my opinion.....
MARCH - 2023 MARCH TO THE STOVE AND GET "COOKIN" - Page 2 Img_2323

Today was a can of sardines, with a slice of whole wheat bread.
Tina had leftover mac & cheese; fried in butter. OMG, is that good done like that. She uses cooked elbow macaroni, a splash of milk, and slices of Land O Lakes white American cheese. All done in a pot / pan; and quick and easy. I like tabasco sauce on mine. Oooooo SOooo Goooood !!!! MARCH - 2023 MARCH TO THE STOVE AND GET "COOKIN" - Page 2 3470128989

bethk likes this post

bethk

bethk
Admin

From Lore:

"Dinner Today. Went out to son’s brew pub with him and Lisa, her dad, her sister and cousin from Toronto. I had a yummy pork belly on waffles and salad. Pork belly was great, can’t say the same about the waffles. Nothing wrong with the waffle if it would have been a breakfast waffle with blueberries and whipped cream. Next time I’ll order it on a better product, like a ciabatta bun or a multigrain toast. I had a great time, so no problem."

MARCH - 2023 MARCH TO THE STOVE AND GET "COOKIN" - Page 2 03_12_10

bethk

bethk
Admin

Lore, we go to a little gastro pub in Orlando that serves Pork Belly Bao Buns ~ an appetizer but enough for me to consider it a meal. SO, SO yummy!

Pork rules!

bethk

bethk
Admin

I came up with the idea to have a steak salad for supper.  I had an inexpensive steak in the freezer that I thawed and then cooked to about medium on the charcoal grill.  It would have been good as a 'real meal' with potatoes & vegetable but that doesn't do HIM any good and only causes problems.  So, salad it was.

I mixed the lettuce with cucumber, celery, carrots (not on his list but doesn't seem to bother him too much if it's just a bit) and sweet red peppers.  I crisped up 3 slices of leftover bacon, chopped the last of the Kalmata olives and added some hard cooked eggs ~ I use a bottled dressing ~ ranch for HIM and Green Goddess for me.

Neither of us could finish our entire salad but we both gave it a good try!

MARCH - 2023 MARCH TO THE STOVE AND GET "COOKIN" - Page 2 03_12_17

Cookin Lore

[quote="bethk"]From Lore:

"Dinner Today. Went out to son’s brew pub with him and Lisa, her dad, her sister and cousin from Toronto. I had a yummy pork belly on waffles and salad. Pork belly was great, can’t say the same about the waffles. Nothing wrong with the waffle if it would have been a breakfast waffle with blueberries and whipped cream.  Next time I’ll order it on a better product, like a ciabatta bun or a multigrain toast.  I had a great time, so no problem."

[/quote

THis was definitely enough for a meal, pork is not showing up well.  Sitting down for the Oscars now.  My late daughter had a gig shooting on the red carpet for the Academy in 2008.  I have her ID hanging in my place.  Will send a picture. Thanks.

My beautiful daughter’s ID from the 2008 Oscars.

bethk

bethk
Admin

How fortunate you are to have her ID ~ a great memory of a life lived well! ((Hugs))

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Had another family Sunday dinner. We had Chinese and pizza for whomever wanted that.
My eggplant was great with a brown sauce, and shrimp and scallops.
Dessert was ice cream and cookies. The best part, was the kids were behaved.
Tomorrow will be Uncle day for Tina. Then, we prep for the snow; which is forecast for 3 to 6 inches or more.

bethk likes this post

Cookin Lore

bethk wrote:How fortunate you are to have her ID ~ a great memory of a life lived well!  ((Hugs))
[size=16]
Thanks, yes, I see it every day. She was working for the Academy, first on the red carpet, then in the back, photographing the recipients with their Oscars. She was so thrilled to meet a German man who received one for something in photography, and she was able to speak to him in German. She was surprised that at the time, the photographers had to use film, not digital. "Film has been around for over a hundred years, and will be here another hundred," was the Academy's reasoning. And, the fact that had they used digital, it would be so easy for the photographers to duplicate, or send off images to make their own money from the images. They were issued one film for their camera, and there were runners who would pick up a film when full, and issue another one.

She had to wear black tie, pants/jacket and at first was told to wear high heels. My daughter, never afraid to speak up, asked "And what kind of shoes do the male photographers have to wear? Running backwards in a crowd, holding a heavy camera is not the time to wear high heels." They agreed. But, she was not able to keep any of the pictures she took!

[/size]

bethk

bethk
Admin

I'm driving Lyn down south to Orlando International Airport to pick up a couple of her friends who are coming for the week. We'll take them back on Friday morning.

So, no cooking for me tonight! (( Woo Hoo!!! ))

I did get hungry for a bit of lunch so I steamed/browned some of the mini pork dumplings and had a bit of duck sauce to dip them in. Yummy lunch!

MARCH - 2023 MARCH TO THE STOVE AND GET "COOKIN" - Page 2 03_13_19

bethk

bethk
Admin

Neighbor Jim called to ask if we wanted to go out tonight. I already had a couple pieces of fish thawed so I suggested he come over for grouper ~ and it must have sounded good because he didn't hesitate saying, "OK !"

I did make a baked potato for him ~ he's not on the 'starch-less' diet Dane is following. Dane had salmon, Jim & I had grouper and there was asparagus and home-grown green beans.

MARCH - 2023 MARCH TO THE STOVE AND GET "COOKIN" - Page 2 03_14_15

bethk

bethk
Admin

Tomorrow is our neighborhood 'PIZZA / POTLUCK' party at the recreation center.  It was originally scheduled for Jim's patio but the weather got cooler and most of our neighbors won't come out to sit outside if it's under 80°.  I was fortunate they had a room large enough to accommodate about 40 of us for a pot luck.

The 'Social Club' has money in our treasury so we'll be purchasing pizzas and then everyone will bring a dish to share.  There's always plenty to eat.

I'm going to take the Mediterranean Chicken Salad that Robin taught me to make.  My vegetable salad is already made because it's better if it can sit in the dressing for a day or so.  Tomorrow I'll marinate the chicken for about 30 minutes and then just do a quick pan saute ~ it's good when it's room temperature.

Cookin Lore

bethk wrote:Neighbor Jim called to ask if we wanted to go out tonight.  I already had a couple pieces of fish thawed so I suggested he come over for grouper ~ and it must have sounded good because he didn't hesitate saying, "OK !"

I did make a baked potato for him ~ he's not on the 'starch-less' diet Dane is following.  Dane had salmon, Jim & I had grouper and there was asparagus and home-grown green beans.

MARCH - 2023 MARCH TO THE STOVE AND GET "COOKIN" - Page 2 03_14_15

My tastebuds start me salivating every time you mention grouper, Beth, 'cause we don't get it here very often. But, I'm going to Costco today and will really scour their shelves, freezers to see if they have any. They seem te be getting unusual seafood lately, so who knows. found the fabulous calamari steaks on my last trip, and they also had sea bream that looked really nice.

bethk

bethk
Admin

From Lore:

"Dinner Tonight. More seafood stir fry with cream over egg noodles. Yumm!"

MARCH - 2023 MARCH TO THE STOVE AND GET "COOKIN" - Page 2 03_15_10

bethk

bethk
Admin

I made the Medditerranean Chicken Salad to take to the Pizza / Potluck Supper at the recreation center tonight with our neighbors. I just couldn't think of anything easier that would be well received by a number of people. I want the chicken to be room temperature so I'll wait until we're ready to walk out the door before I pack it up.

Dane gets a 'specially packed' salad just for him because it's probably about the only thing he'll be able to choose that doesn't have a starch included ~ no sausages off the Charcuterie Platters, no Pizza, no desserts..... (( sigh.... )) But he'll do just fine, I'm sure.

MARCH - 2023 MARCH TO THE STOVE AND GET "COOKIN" - Page 2 03_15_24

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 2 of 6]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum