Cooking Friends
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Cooking Friends

Friends sharing recipes, cooking techniques & menu ideas in a friendly atmosphere.

You are not connected. Please login or register

MARCH - 2023 MARCH TO THE STOVE AND GET "COOKIN"

+2
bethk
UNCLE JIMMY
6 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Go down  Message [Page 5 of 6]

bethk

bethk
Admin

What an easy supper.....I guess doing all the prep the day before might be a key!

The salad was still crispy ~ it's got cucumber, onion, red bell peppers, kalamata olives & parsley with a lemon/olive oil dressing. The chicken got slathered with a paste of olive oil, Greek oregano, good Hungrian hot paprika and s&p ~ the flavor was all through the pounded breast cutlets and cooked in minutes before being cut into bite size pieces to lay over the salad.

HIS got a sprinkle of Feta ~ not forgotten for once!

MARCH - 2023 MARCH TO THE STOVE AND GET "COOKIN" - Page 5 03_24_19

MARCH - 2023 MARCH TO THE STOVE AND GET "COOKIN" - Page 5 03_24_20

UNCLE JIMMY likes this post

bethk

bethk
Admin

From Lore:

"Dinner Tonight. Lentil salad with red pepper, scallions, parsley. Dressing oil, salt,pepper, lemon juice. Piece of calamari steak done in my kitchen aid grill pan. Chuncks of tomato and feta."

MARCH - 2023 MARCH TO THE STOVE AND GET "COOKIN" - Page 5 03_24_21

bethk and UNCLE JIMMY like this post

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

That shaved beef sliders took a hike. and because we don't eat meat on fridays, . we had the kids over to eat pizza. Sooooo Tomorrow will be sliders.

bethk likes this post

bethk

bethk
Admin

HE was a 'pita' when I asked him what he wanted for supper. This restricted diet of his will be the bane of my existence for months to come. I mean, I'M NOT THE ONE WITH THE UPSET GUT!!!

But I'm the one charged with coming up with ideas that sound good to him......

We ended up deciding on grilled burgers and I decided to have grilled asparagus also ~ no need to mess up a pan or casserole dish if the grill is already hot and ready to go.

Actually, I thought the meal was excellent.

HE did make a comment about the asparagus being difficult to cut ~ but that's just because he didn't want to get up and get a sharper knife. Personally, I had no difficulty cutting it into bite size lengths with a table knife.

LOL

MARCH - 2023 MARCH TO THE STOVE AND GET "COOKIN" - Page 5 03_25_19

bethk

bethk
Admin

Tomorrow I'm going to give Norm's cabbage fritters a try ~ I've been having my mouth water both times he made them and posted the pics.

I've double checked the recipe and I really don't think HE will have any difficulty since it's mainly cabbage, onion & egg......yes, there's a tiny bit of flour (and, no, I'm no going to purchase almond flour for a required 3 - 4 Tbsp.) so I don't think it's going to be that terrible.

If he does get a gut ache, oh well......Live & Learn! (actually, I showed HIM the recipe and he said, 'Yes, give them a try!' so I have HIS blessings.

NormM likes this post

NormM

NormM

I planned to make a version of chicken thighs that Charlie said he made in Seattle for himself. It was just Cream of Mushroom soup dumped over some chicken and baked. My version is a few more ingredients but it is still just open stuff and dump it in.  This morning Charlie brought home a bottle of Teriyaki sauce from a restaruant he found that makes Teriyaki that tastes like they have on the West coast so I made the dump chicken in the oven like I planned but I had more thighs and cooked them on the grill with the Teriyaki sauce. I wasn't very hungry, I just had a sample of each. The Teriyaki one is pretty good.

MARCH - 2023 MARCH TO THE STOVE AND GET "COOKIN" - Page 5 Img_0716
MARCH - 2023 MARCH TO THE STOVE AND GET "COOKIN" - Page 5 Img_0717
MARCH - 2023 MARCH TO THE STOVE AND GET "COOKIN" - Page 5 Img_0715

http://r2j1cp@gmail.com

Cookin Lore

bethk wrote:HE was a 'pita' when I asked him what he wanted for supper.  This restricted diet of his will be the bane of my existence for months to come.  I mean, I'M NOT THE ONE WITH THE UPSET GUT!!!

But I'm the one charged with coming up with ideas that sound good to him......

We ended up deciding on grilled burgers and I decided to have grilled asparagus also ~ no need to mess up a pan or casserole dish if the grill is already hot and ready to go.

Actually, I thought the meal was excellent.  

HE did make a comment about the asparagus being difficult to cut ~ but that's just because he didn't want to get up and get a sharper knife.  Personally, I had no difficulty cutting it into bite size lengths with a table knife.  

LOL

MARCH - 2023 MARCH TO THE STOVE AND GET "COOKIN" - Page 5 03_25_19

Your dinners always sound great to me. I have a question. I'm pretty sure you have said/posted here what the gut issues are, but I forgot? Is it celiac? As for the sharper knife, I have come to the conclusion that I generally put both a regular and a steak knife out for myself.
For tonight, think I'll take out some fabulous lamb chops I have in the freezer, and call 90 year old Uncle Ernie if he'd like to come and help me eat them. He and aunt Alma raised deer and sheep for a few years, and he misses having good home cooked meals like she used to make.

bethk likes this post

bethk

bethk
Admin

Lore, Dane has diverticulitis ~ irritated little holes around the inside of his intestines ~ has had it for years but just recently started giving him problems. A couple months ago his VA (Veteran's Administration) physical blood test showed an elevated white cell count which led to the assumption of an infection ~ and coupled with gut pain it was determined a course of antibiotics was probably a good idea. And the infection was caught in time.

But the gut pain persisted.

Our younger daughter was visiting and knew of her husband's uncle having a similar problem ~ she suggested looking into a site, "https://rachelstea.com/" that had information on helpful eating suggestions to combat the inflammation. There was a chart of what foods to eat together and those to avoid eating at the same time.

We've found he can eat most vegetables except those high in carbs (carrots, beets, legumes) with meats, eggs & cheese. He can eat all vegetables if he excludes the proteins.

After years & years of HIM insisting he wanted to have 'meat, potato (or starch) & vegetables' I now have to avoid potatoes, rice, noodles, pasta.....and it's difficult.

But, I do the best I can, HE occasionally comes up with a meal idea ~ but the biggest downside for me is that since starting this 'low carb' meal planning I HAVE NOT LOST A SINGLE POUND!

LOL

(It's all about ME! Hahahahaha!)

bethk

bethk
Admin

I have some pork shoulder thawed for supper.

I've mixed up a soy sauce based marinade/glaze to use on that and for adding some flavor to steamed bok choy.....as well as a kind of dipping sauce for the cabbage fritters I'm finally making to complete the meal.

Now that everything is prepped I'm really hungry ~ I've got to STOP doing nothing during the day except planning, prepping & preparing our evening meal!

Cookin Lore

Thanks.  I am actually quite familiar with diverticulitis.  A young friend was hospitalized with it recently for almost two months..  It's a tough one.  Best of luck.  When they keep you in the hospital that long here, you know it was BAD! It seems that I also spend m ost of my time planning, prepping, cooking and then eating. Mostly too much. Gonna go out for a drive now. The sun is out finally after weeks of clouds and rain. Lamb chops are defrosting. Called Uncle if he wanted to come, but he has company, so it's gonna be lamb for me only.

bethk

bethk
Admin

Cookin Lore wrote:Thanks.  I am actually quite familiar with diverticulitis.  A young friend was hospitalized with it recently for almost two months..  It's a tough one.  Best of luck.  When they keep you in the hospital that long here, you know it was BAD!  It seems that I also spend m ost of my time planning, prepping, cooking and then eating.  Mostly too much. Gonna go out for a drive now.  The sun is out finally after weeks of clouds and rain.  Lamb chops are defrosting.  Called Uncle if he wanted to come, but he has company, so it's gonna be lamb for me only.  

Yes, our neighbor, Darlene, had a serious bout and ended up in the hospital multiple times, was in horrible pain and came close to not making it through ~ she ignored the symptoms for too long and ended up going to the hospital when she was ulcerated through and ended up with surgery to remove quite a bit of her colon & intestines. She still struggles with problems and days when she can't leave her house because she has to be close to the bathroom all day.

So, I guess we should count our lucky stars that Dane's problem was caught before any really serious problems ~ meal planning should be a minor complaint!

I'm sorry, as I'm sure Uncle is, that you won't get to share those fabulous lamb chops! But there will be other times, for sure!

bethk

bethk
Admin

I just printed out (yes, I copy & paste things to my personal files) Norm's recipe for the Cabbage Fritters from his blogspot.

And, yes, I made changes (like deleting the garlic & corriander) because those are things I do not use. I'm a firm believer that a recipe is a springboard to making a dish you enjoy.

And as I was reading through and putting things together in prep for frying them it suddenly came to me that the recipe is almost identical to how I make my German Potato Pancakes (1 of 2 varieties I make), my childhood favorite, corn fritters and my Zucchini Patties......

Which always reminds me of the many variations of a recipe by changing a few ingredients. I really am looking forward to seeing if we like the cabbage fritters as much as the other vegetable fritters/pancakes/patties I've made in the past.

bethk

bethk
Admin

I had to get started on the Cabbage Fritters early ~ they're now done and on a rack in a 200° oven to stay warm. I did 'cheat' and taste one ~ truly reminds me of German Potato Pancakes ~ YUMMY!!! I think I need to practice a bit more on the temperature of my cast iron skillet ~ they came out pretty dark but still taste great (they're not pretty, that's for sure!).

I still need to stir fry the Bok Choy and broil the pork shoulder to crisp it up after braising in an Asian marinade for an hour to get tender.

MARCH - 2023 MARCH TO THE STOVE AND GET "COOKIN" - Page 5 03_26_13

bethk

bethk
Admin

Supper was a success.....I realized it when he went for seconds of the cabbage fritters ~ and then THIRDS! Even though they were a bit darker than I would have hoped for (practice will make perfect, I'm sure....) they were tasty and much like potato pancakes, something HE is not allowed on his new eating plan.

The pork shoulder steaks were braised in a DARK soy based marinade, a riff on Norm's Kalbi marinade recipe, and really quite tasty. The pork was more tender than it looks and the DARK COLOR came from the Sweet Soy in the marinade and not from being burned. LOL

My personal favorite on my plate was the Bok Choy ~ lightly stir fried and still tender-crisp stems seasoned with the same soy marinade that was used on the pork.

MARCH - 2023 MARCH TO THE STOVE AND GET "COOKIN" - Page 5 03_26_14

bethk

bethk
Admin

From Lore:

"Dinner Tonight ended up being plan “B” sun is shining after weeks of dreary and wet weather. So I drove into the countryside, stopped at a local creamery for some of their fabulous cheeses, two spread’s, one with crab, some bison salami and one of their breads hot from the oven. Put it on a board my son made, and put the lamb chops in the fridge for tomorrow!"

MARCH - 2023 MARCH TO THE STOVE AND GET "COOKIN" - Page 5 03_26_10

bethk

bethk
Admin

I had to come up with an idea for some chicken breast ~ about the most boring cuts of chicken there is.

I ended up making chunks sauteed and then I added some of the bottled Korean BBQ Sauce ~ at least it had a bit of flavor.

I cubed up a couple zucchini and added some leftover chopped (raw) onion from the vegetable drawer and pretended it was a potato dish.....made some of our homegrown green beans to finish off the meal.

MARCH - 2023 MARCH TO THE STOVE AND GET "COOKIN" - Page 5 03_27_13

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Tina made a pot of chicken soup. We had that, and dessert later will be
The rest of the chocolate pudding and banana pie.

bethk likes this post

bethk

bethk
Admin

From Lore:

"Dinner Tonight. Lamb chops, crinkle cut potatoes, fresh asparagus. I realized today that I am spending more time planning, prepping, even plating my dinners for myself than I ever did when I was cooking for five of us! Of course, I have much more time now."

MARCH - 2023 MARCH TO THE STOVE AND GET "COOKIN" - Page 5 03_27_14

bethk likes this post

bethk

bethk
Admin

I have one of my little beef chuck roasts thawed to make for tonight.  I think I'll make it a 'traditional' pot roast in the oven (or toaster oven) with a potato, carrot & onion for me.  HE will get to have roast beef with cauliflower and green beans ~ no potatoes or carrots for him!

I always feel bad when I make a meal like this but HE keep saying it won't bother him to see me with potatoes & carrots and he's happy to have the cauliflower and any other vegetables that keep him from having gut pain in the middle of the night or even continuing to the following day.

I also have a pot of smoked pork hocks and a couple pieces of smoked turkey wings I found in the freezer when I was rooting around for the hocks ~ nice to get everything used!  Tonight after the broth is cooled and stashed in the refrigerator to let the fat settle on top to be removed I will soak the package of 15 Soup Bean 'HamBeens' brand dried beans and I'll add any other dried beans from the pantry to use them up.  I know I have some garbanzo beans & small red beans so the soup should be pretty substantial. And, yes, I'm aware it's not necessary to soak beans overnight but I like the texture better when I do ~ and it's MY soup!  LOL

We're not sure if the bean soup will agree with his stomach so if not I will end up with a ton of bean soup in the freezer in 16 oz. deli containers.  But this was HIS idea because soup is one of his all time favorite lunch ideas.

I see a giant sort and rearrange in my near future!

bethk

bethk
Admin

The little 'half size' beef chuck roast was the perfect size for one meal. No leftovers!!!

I had mine with potato, carrot & onion ~ HE had steamed cauliflower & green beans.....and he had just a little gravy, hoping it wouldn't upset his stomach. Only time will tell.

MARCH - 2023 MARCH TO THE STOVE AND GET "COOKIN" - Page 5 03_28_15

Imelda HL

Imelda HL

Hi Beth, thanks for your email, I know I was MIA Sad somehow I got logged out and did not remember my password, now I'm in again.

I was busy last week, my sister and her daughter visited us for spring break, my niece had her college tour, she was touring the University of AZ and thinking to enroll the nursing college here, but we'll see, she still has time to decide.

I cooked our meal, we all have to eat, but nothing special, some times I had no idea what to cook, whenever I asked D what he desired, his answers always, well, I don't know, spaghetti maybe? or hamburger or hotdog, I know he likes to play safe, picked the easy meal for me to cook, How nice mmh.. NOT lol

Because he said hamburgers, so yesterday I made some salisbury steaks with lots of gravy and some mashed potatoes for their lunch yesterday and today, I steamed some broccoli to pair with it, easy peasy,

I scrolled up and interested in the cabbage fritters and dill pickled soup, so would like the recipes for those. I'm also struggling to think what to cook for supper, I made a lots of soup ( with veggies) for them, I'm thinking to cook something different such as Dill pickle soup. Thank you

bethk

bethk
Admin

IMELDA!!!

Gosh it's good to see you back after a long while.  Make sure you hang on to my email address in case you get locked out again ~ between the two of us, I'm sure we can figure out a way to get you back in!

The recipe for Norm's Cabbage Fritters can be found on his blogspot (click on it at the end of his posts). We liked them ~ tasted similar to potato pancakes.

Here's the recipe for the Dill Pickle Soup I make.  It's super easy and something different for once in a while.

Dill Pickle Soup

Recipe courtesy Ted Wietrzykowski, Polish Village Cafe
Show: Diners, Drive-ins and Dives     Episode: Old to New

Ingredients
• 5 tablespoons butter or margarine
• 3 medium carrots, shredded (I used 2 carrots)
• 3 large potatoes, cubed (about 2 cups)
• 3 large dill pickles, shredded   (I used small Vlasic Gerkin Dills, grated ~ about 1/2 cup)
• 1/2 cup flour  
• 1/2 cup sour cream  (I used ½ c.)
• Salt to taste
• Pickle juice to taste  (I used about 1/2 c. but go by your taste)

Directions

Combine 5 cups water, the butter, the carrots and potatoes in a saucepan. Bring to a boil and cook until the potatoes are tender. Add the pickles and continue to boil.

Meanwhile, whisk together the flour, sour cream and salt in a separate bowl. Add enough water to make a paste, then slowly, to avoid curdling, add the mixture to the soup to thicken. Bring to a boil, then remove from the heat. Add pickle juice, to taste.

This recipe was provided by a chef, restaurant or culinary professional and may have been scaled down from a bulk recipe. The Food Network Kitchens chefs have not tested this recipe, in the proportions indicated, and therefore, we cannot make any representation as to the results.

UNCLE JIMMY and Imelda HL like this post

bethk

bethk
Admin

As is my M.O. lately, here goes my bean soup as it begins before noon!

I have a HUGE pot of the soup cooking ~ I'll wait for the beans to be close to tender before I add the chopped tomatoes and shredded hock meat.

It sure does smell good in here!

MARCH - 2023 MARCH TO THE STOVE AND GET "COOKIN" - Page 5 03_29_14

bethk

bethk
Admin

Tonight's bean soup supper was excellent.....now to see if it was a really bad idea (on HIS part because he's the one who asked for it) or if he can digest the meal without problems.

Only time will tell......

MARCH - 2023 MARCH TO THE STOVE AND GET "COOKIN" - Page 5 03_29_15

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

We just had pork cutlets breaded and cubed, and fried in shallow oil; diced potatoes boiled, and buttered green string beans. Apple sauce to eat with that. Dessert later of blue tube cinnamon
rolls.

bethk likes this post

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 5 of 6]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum