Cooking Friends
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Cooking Friends

Friends sharing recipes, cooking techniques & menu ideas in a friendly atmosphere.

You are not connected. Please login or register

September, 2022 ~ Who else is looking forward to the temperatures cooling a bit?

5 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Go down  Message [Page 4 of 6]

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Tina's soup was delicious.
I even ate some chicken. She used the whole rotisserie chicken she got at Sam's Club.
I like rotisserie chicken, but only if I cook it. Nice crispy skin, and well done.

bethk likes this post

bethk

bethk
Admin

I'm with Ms. Tina on the rotisserie chicken from Sam's Club or Costco. They are always cooked completely, aren't too fatty and usually aren't seasoned too heavily, although I do find Sam's to be saltier than the Costco ones. And the price is better than if you buy your own chicken and spend the time roasting it yourself.

I usually bring one home and remove the meat ~ I usually end up with about 4 cups of shredded chicken, maybe even that much and one side of the breast left whole for Dane to use as sliced chicken for a sandwich.

Everything left ~ the skin, the bits, the bones.....everything except the little elastic cord that holds the legs & wings down, gets put into a pot with some onion (with the skin), celery & carrot (a bay leaf when I remember) and covered with water, maybe some leftover boxed stock that needs to be used that's in the refrigerator. I just let it simmer for hours....finally straining it all and cooling it down in the refrigerator overnight. Next morning I spoon off the fat layer and fill at least 2 quart deli containers with the jellied stock. Makes the absolute best stock to have on hand.

Today was Ladies' Lunch and I knew I wasn't going to be very hungry for supper. So I offered to make HIM a vegetable omelet and he said that sounded good. It's been probably over a year since I've made one for supper ~ don't know why it doesn't get in a regular rotation but it doesn't.

I saute onion, celery & carrot until tender. Then it's usually 3 eggs for him and mine is made with 1 or 2 eggs....

He had American cheese tucked inside with the vegetables before it got folded up and he sprinkled the outside with Crystal Hot Sauce.

Mine ended up being a 2 egg omelet with a tiny bit of cream cheese with the veg and I always like to drizzle some Ortega Taco Sauce on top.

Sounds gross to some but it's what we like so that's the way I make them! LOL

September, 2022 ~ Who else is looking forward to the temperatures cooling a bit? - Page 4 09_17_13

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Today was Dr. day for me. Had pasta fagioli from the Blackstone bar and restaurant.
Ice cream and oatmeal cookies that made yesterday. Much less sugar used in the recipe she had.

bethk likes this post

bethk

bethk
Admin

I knew I had 3/4 of an English cucumber in the refrigerator drawer.....seems to me they don't last long after part is cut off. So, I knew I wanted to get it sliced up with some onion with some of Grandma's vinegar syrup to have a salad tonight.

Then, in the other vegetable drawer, I saw the second bag of baby spinach I had picked up on a BOGO sale ~ that HAS to be used before it gets mushy from the little bit of moisture in the bag. So, I grabbed that and pulled the stems off and sorted through just in case there were some bad leaves. I know you don't have to remove the stems but I think they taste bitter when cooked ~ and if that's what I want to do.....

So, I had to come up with a plan for supper that would use the spinach......Hmmmmmm.....maybe a chicken, mushroom & spinach dish with a bit of a cream sauce. Oh, and there was the 'almost' two cup container of leftover rice ~ if I bulk it up with a bit of veg in a kind of stir fried rice it will pair nicely with some creamed chicken/mushroom/spinach.

So, that's my plan for supper. As usual, since I don't have all that much that needs to be done during the day, I have everything prepped to cook.

UNCLE JIMMY likes this post

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

I call it kibbles and bits dog food, but it will be a chopped beef cubes in gravy, and ladled over Dutch wide noodles.
Cookies for dessert

bethk likes this post

bethk

bethk
Admin

I can't say this is something I'd write a recipe for to make again......but I was able to use up a lot of stuff from the refrigerator that I didn't want to have to toss out.

HE had no problem, just wanted to know it there was a 'name' for it or if I just put stuff together.....

I just gave him a smile and let him figure it out for himself.

LOL

September, 2022 ~ Who else is looking forward to the temperatures cooling a bit? - Page 4 09_18_12

bethk

bethk
Admin

I was going to have brats on the gas grill and some roasted cauliflower ~ then I found out my head of cauliflower had been in the refrigerator a few days too long.....or it was bad when I bought it and just didn't notice. Sometimes it has those spots that are, I think, from bruising. Usually no big deal, just trim them off. But this time they went down into the stalks ~ so it got tossed.

Plan 'B' ~ the head of green cabbage. And, actually, that sounded really good to me.

So, brats, steamed/sauteed cabbage and boiled potatoes.....quite the simple meal.

So simple that I thought it might be something neighbor Jim would enjoy. He goes out to eat most nights and I know there is no place for him to get plain foods. And being the good Polish guy he is, cooked cabbage is one of his favorites.

Cookin Lore

Your neighbour is, I think, the luckiest guy in Florida!

bethk and UNCLE JIMMY like this post

bethk

bethk
Admin

Jim was pleased. I know it was a very simple supper but since he doesn't cook it's not something he can go out and buy. I'm just hoping the cabbage doesn't cause him any 'distress' in the middle of the night! LOL

September, 2022 ~ Who else is looking forward to the temperatures cooling a bit? - Page 4 09_19_14

bethk

bethk
Admin

From Lore:

"Dinner Tonight rice medley, rice cooked with some dehydrated vegetable flakes; a roasted chicken thigh; and a tomato, onion, cucumber and avocado salad."

September, 2022 ~ Who else is looking forward to the temperatures cooling a bit? - Page 4 09_19_15

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

We tried this new popcorn chicken, ( frozen ), and It was crispy from the toaster oven, but I grabbed a larger piece, and one bite, and the damn thing squirted out juice, and was rubbery.
NOT for me anymore. Uh Uh !! ........ I told Tina, no more for me anymore.
Good thing I heated up some bow ties pasta that was in the fridge as a leftover from the other day. I filled up on that. The only popcorn chicken I like, is KFC's ..... ,and it is crispy and crunchy.

bethk likes this post

bethk

bethk
Admin

I'm trying to use up what is in my freezers.....so tonight was fish. Salmon (the last filet) and grouper for me. I still have two small portions of the grouper so next time HE will not get the salmon he likes so much but will be perfectly happy with a piece of grouper.

I think I still have at least one meal of shrimps in the garage freezer so that's two more fish meals before I need to make the drive to the Gulf coast to pick up fish in Homosassa.

Last night we didn't have evening rain ~ but tonight, since I was going to use the gas grill, it had to start raining just as I was about to put the fish on the grill mat. Thank heavens for the awnings that keep me from getting soaked and for the fact that all I have to do is set the fish on the grill mat and turn the grouper once......it doesn't take long to cook at all.

And, as irritating as it is, as we ate our supper we could look out the window and see the rain stopped.....wish I had a crystal ball to predict how long the rain would last and we could have eaten about 15 minutes later and there wouldn't have been wet feet involved!

LOL

September, 2022 ~ Who else is looking forward to the temperatures cooling a bit? - Page 4 09_20_16

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Supper was kielbasa and sauerkraut, and potato wedges.
Lunch was pierogi heated in butter and onions.....

bethk likes this post

bethk

bethk
Admin

UNCLE JIMMY wrote:Supper was kielbasa and sauerkraut, and potato wedges.

I had Mrs. T's potato onion pierogis with butter & onion for lunch, too! Woo Hoo!!! Great minds........

JanaAZ

Tonite I made him scallops in brown butter sage sauce with wild rice and fresh English peas. And since I’m allergic to scallops….I had leftovers September, 2022 ~ Who else is looking forward to the temperatures cooling a bit? - Page 4 C8192210

bethk

bethk
Admin

JanaAZ wrote:Tonite I made him scallops in brown butter sage sauce with wild rice and fresh English peas. And since I’m allergic to scallops….I had leftovers.

Since I don't care for scallops, I would have opted for the wild rice & fresh English peas, please......I'm sure he appreciated your efforts to satisfy his seafood cravings!

Cookin Lore

bethk wrote:I'm trying to use up what is in my freezers.....so tonight was fish.  Salmon (the last filet) and grouper for me.  I still have two small portions of the grouper so next time HE will not get the salmon he likes so much but will be perfectly happy with a piece of grouper.

I think I still have at least one meal of shrimps in the garage freezer so that's two more fish meals before I need to make the drive to the Gulf coast to pick up fish in Homosassa.

Last night we didn't have evening rain ~ but tonight, since I was going to use the gas grill, it had to start raining just as I was about to put the fish on the grill mat.  Thank heavens for the awnings that keep me from getting soaked and for the fact that all I have to do is set the fish on the grill mat and turn the grouper once......it doesn't take long to cook at all.

And, as irritating as it is, as we ate our supper we could look out the window and see the rain stopped.....wish I had a crystal ball to predict how long the rain would last and we could have eaten about 15 minutes later and there wouldn't have been wet feet involved!

LOL

That grouper sounds and looks so good. Think I'll have to take a drive also to my fav. supermarket where I can get grouper. And, the beans are so colourful. But, I need to clear our some more of my freezer too.

September, 2022 ~ Who else is looking forward to the temperatures cooling a bit? - Page 4 09_20_16

Cookin Lore

JanaAZ wrote:Tonite I made him scallops in brown butter sage sauce with wild rice and fresh English peas. And since I’m allergic to scallops….I had leftovers September, 2022 ~ Who else is looking forward to the temperatures cooling a bit? - Page 4 C8192210

Those are some huge scallops, one of my very favourite seafoods. Interesting about seafood allergies. My late son-in-law was allergic to fish, and scallops. He could eat all other crustaceans.

bethk

bethk
Admin

I'm continuing my quest to rid the freezers from all the 'stuff' I've made and saved. Tonight will be farfale (bowtie) pasta with marinara & mozzarella cheese ~ baked in a casserole. That was a jar of frozen marinara and a package of one of the BOGO sliced cheese packages that are just randomly stuck here and there in the freezers. A bonus is the pasta is the last of a bag of farfale I bought at Trader Joe's (who knows when?) that really needs to be out of my pantry.

While I was in the garage freezer I also grabbed a meatloaf and a deli container of leftover mashed potatoes. Hopefully both will be thawed in the refrigerator by Friday when I'll plan to cook them. Funny, but as soon as I saw the meatloaf the first thing I thought of was a cold meatloaf sandwich on white bread with some Miracle Whip......and don't say, "Ewwwww !". It's the way I LIKE it! LOL

JanaAZ

UNCLE JIMMY wrote:Supper was kielbasa and sauerkraut, and potato wedges.
sounds like a few Polish meals at your house. Yum

bethk

bethk
Admin

I didn't know if I had enough of the farfale pasta for the amount of marinara I had so I decided to take the cooked farfale out of the boiling water and then continue using the seasoned water to cook some seashell pasta......just in case.

When I got the farfale mixed with the marinara I saw it was 'just right'.

SO........tomorrow I will have macaroni salad with something ~ probably a burger cooked on the charcoal grill (cross fingers starting first thing tomorrow morning we don't have a 4:30 p.m. shower to put a damper on my charcoal.....).

I love when a happy accident helps determine a meal for tomorrow and now it's all decided.

September, 2022 ~ Who else is looking forward to the temperatures cooling a bit? - Page 4 09_21_13

I put the casserole into the toaster oven for about 45 minutes....which will give me enough time to toast off a dinner roll that we'll split ~ last time I made rolls to go with supper neither of us ate the whole roll.....so, tonight we'll split one. I also have a tossed salad in the refrigerator to have.....don't know exactly what the dressing is as I've forgotten what I made it for ~ but it's a bit of dressing in a jar and I can use it up tonight.

bethk

bethk
Admin

The baked pasta was a success. There was plenty of pasta, marinara & cheese to make it a filling supper. The salad dressing I used from whatever I made and stashed in the refrigerator was super spicy ~ I must have used some sambal oelek (chili paste) in it ...... maybe I intended it for a meat marinade.....I don't know for sure. But it was good it was just the two of us (HE likes spicy....). I can't imagine if I had served it to neighbor Jim ~ he doesn't DO spicy! LOL

September, 2022 ~ Who else is looking forward to the temperatures cooling a bit? - Page 4 09_21_14

September, 2022 ~ Who else is looking forward to the temperatures cooling a bit? - Page 4 09_21_15

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Tonight we had McDonalds burgers with cheese and Jimmy's Greek style chili burgers, with chopped fine onions.
Tina had mashed potatoes and gravy. She had stomach issues.
I had ginger cookies and a coffee for dessert.

bethk likes this post

JanaAZ

bethk wrote:
JanaAZ wrote:Tonite I made him scallops in brown butter sage sauce with wild rice and fresh English peas. And since I’m allergic to scallops….I had leftovers.

Since I don't care for scallops, I would have opted for the wild rice & fresh English peas, please......I'm sure he appreciated your efforts to satisfy his seafood cravings!

Funny you should say that….that’s what I had for dinner….with a little bit of rotisserie chicken. We’re not able to get great seafood here so when I got him some scallops,for,his ramen, he said they were so good I went back and bought more.

JanaAZ

Cookin Lore wrote:
JanaAZ wrote:Tonite I made him scallops in brown butter sage sauce with wild rice and fresh English peas. And since I’m allergic to scallops….I had leftovers September, 2022 ~ Who else is looking forward to the temperatures cooling a bit? - Page 4 C8192210

Those are some huge scallops, one of my very favourite seafoods.  Interesting about seafood allergies.  My late son-in-law was allergic to fish, and scallops.  He could eat all other crustaceans.

They didn’t test me for each individual item. Several came out positive and I wasn’t looking for any more pain so we decided avoid all. I’m ok with that. Only thing I really miss is shrimp….and that’s what put me in anaphylaxis

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 4 of 6]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum