Cooking Friends
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Cooking Friends

Friends sharing recipes, cooking techniques & menu ideas in a friendly atmosphere.

You are not connected. Please login or register

September, 2022 ~ Who else is looking forward to the temperatures cooling a bit?

5 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Go down  Message [Page 5 of 6]

bethk

bethk
Admin

We had no rain! It was actually an absolutely lovely day.....right now we have nothing but brilliant blue skies ~ not a cloud in sight.

So it was a good night to get the charcoal going and grill a couple burgers. They went well with the macaroni salad I made this morning.

By the way, Norm, thanks again for the 'heads up' on steaming eggs so they peel neatly. Ever since you mentioned it I've been doing that and my eggs haven't been ripped apart ever since!

September, 2022 ~ Who else is looking forward to the temperatures cooling a bit? - Page 5 09_22_15

UNCLE JIMMY likes this post

Cookin Lore

So far, touch wood or any other thing that may give good luck, I have no allergies.

bethk likes this post

bethk

bethk
Admin

From Lore:

"Dinner Tonight. Pork tenderloin stuffed with bacon, mushrooms, onion and lots of fresh parsley. Hasselback potato and steamed carrots and Brussels sprouts. Threw on chopped parsley just for colour!"

September, 2022 ~ Who else is looking forward to the temperatures cooling a bit? - Page 5 09_22_16

bethk and UNCLE JIMMY like this post

bethk

bethk
Admin

Very pretty, Lore! Looks 'restaurant' quality.

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Supper was a nice bowl of beef barley soup, and wheat bread.

bethk likes this post

Cookin Lore

bethk wrote:Very pretty, Lore!  Looks 'restaurant' quality.

Thanks, both for posting and the compliment, Beth. I have made many pork tenderloins, this was the best both for presentation and taste. I did make one tiny mistake, used my instant meat thermometer, and when it was 165 I turned the oven off, but left it in for about three more minutes, and it was a little overdone. I have butterflied tenderloins before, but actually pounded this to about 1/4 inch thickness for easy stuffing. Actually tied it with kitchen twine, not pretty, but it worked!

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Tina made a meat sauce with ground round for spaghetti. The kids are coming over for supper, so they can have that, or pizza carryout if they want.

bethk likes this post

bethk

bethk
Admin

The meatloaf & mashed potatoes defrosted in the refrigerator in a couple days. So all I had to do for supper was bake off the meatloaf, make the glaze, reheat the mashed potatoes and come up with a vegetable.

I was a little messy when I sliced my meatloaf but having it in bits doesn't bother me one bit!

Easy peasey......

September, 2022 ~ Who else is looking forward to the temperatures cooling a bit? - Page 5 09_23_14

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

bethk wrote:The meatloaf & mashed potatoes defrosted in the refrigerator in a couple days.  So all I had to do for supper was bake off the meatloaf, make the glaze, reheat the mashed potatoes and come up with a vegetable.  

I was a little messy when I sliced my meatloaf but having it in bits doesn't bother me one bit!

Easy peasey......

September, 2022 ~ Who else is looking forward to the temperatures cooling a bit? - Page 5 09_23_14

Oh that looks good Beth! My mom would say, " EAT IT", It's gonna break up in your stomach anyway..... And God forbid my brothers
dippy egg would break. He would not eat it; yet, he would break it to eat it, and not complain.

bethk likes this post

bethk

bethk
Admin

I went to Sam's Club today because I wanted pork tenderloin (inspired by Lore....) and the stores around here only carry the seasoned ones. I don't want their seasonings. So, I have to go and buy the ones from Sam's that are packaged 2/pk in a 2 pack.....Tomorrow I'll break them down into the sizes I want and get them frozen. That should last me a good long time.

And while I was walking along the meat aisle I noticed they were just taking the rotisserie chickens out of the oven ~ and, thanks to inspiration from Ms. Tina, that's what we'll have tonight. I did just cut off the breast meat to put in the refrigerator. We'll eat the legs, thighs & wings tonight and just have the roast chicken with one of the Sweet Kale Salad kits (another Sam's Club special) and a baked sweet potato.

I wanted to pick up some frozen sweet potato fries but there were none at all.....so, a baked sweet potato it will be.

bethk

bethk
Admin

Rotisserie Chicken with baked sweet potato & peas&carrot (cause they're so pretty together.....). The Sweet Kale Salad was nice and crispy ~ and the best part is the leftovers will be just fine in a day or two. I love a salad that stays crispy.

September, 2022 ~ Who else is looking forward to the temperatures cooling a bit? - Page 5 09_24_14

NormM

NormM

I made Salisbury Steak today and had it with some okra and corn. I forgot to serve tomatoes.September, 2022 ~ Who else is looking forward to the temperatures cooling a bit? - Page 5 Image-15

http://r2j1cp@gmail.com

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

NormM wrote:I made Salisbury Steak today and had it with some okra and corn. I forgot to serve tomatoes.September, 2022 ~ Who else is looking forward to the temperatures cooling a bit? - Page 5 Image-15

I love Salisbury steak. Tina once in a while buy's me the Swanson frozen hungry hungry man Salisbury steak dinners. What a Face
It brings back memories of when TV dinners first came out, and Mom would stock up on Morton's TV dinners when they were on sale for $0.29 cents.
She always cooked two for dad, because he could never survive on only one.
Then, Mom saved the tin foil trays they came in, and would wash them, and save them to make her own meals for in the freezer, for future meals.
Also, there were no microwave ovens back then.
Later, there were made for home use, and they were not cheap either.
Mom bought an Amana Radar Range Microwave oven with all the bells and whistles. It cost ( I think ) around $789.00 , and boy oh boy, it was huge and heavy. No Now, the microwaves are bought as throwaways.
We must have gone through 8 or 9 microwaves during our time.
We only use it for heating meals, or for popcorn. Never to cook anything.

bethk

bethk
Admin

NormM wrote:I made Salisbury Steak today and had it with some okra and corn. I forgot to serve tomatoes.

And I'll bet they were really good, ripe tomatoes.....the kind I haven't had in years!

Did you make the noodles? They look homemade..........YUM!

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

bethk wrote:We had no rain!  It was actually an absolutely lovely day.....right now we have nothing but brilliant blue skies ~ not a cloud in sight.

So it was a good night to get the charcoal going and grill a couple burgers.  They went well with the macaroni salad I made this morning.

By the way, Norm, thanks again for the 'heads up' on steaming eggs so they peel neatly.  Ever since you mentioned it I've been doing that and my eggs haven't been ripped apart ever since!

September, 2022 ~ Who else is looking forward to the temperatures cooling a bit? - Page 5 09_22_15

Yes Beth... Norms method of cooking Hard Boiled Eggs works without fail. My daughter uses the steam Pressure Cooker all the time for Hard Boiled eggs.....
You know who else says so? Randy. Remember Him? On the old old original Cooking.Com site. "RANDY" with the green color font.....
That thread was one of the longest ever, and every time I hard cook eggs, I think of him.....

bethk likes this post

NormM

NormM

bethk wrote:
NormM wrote:I made Salisbury Steak today and had it with some okra and corn. I forgot to serve tomatoes.

And I'll bet they were really good, ripe tomatoes.....the kind I haven't had in years!

Did you make the noodles?  They look homemade..........YUM!

The package said they were homemade.  I seriously thought about making them but didn't.  Jimmy, my son said that when he lived in Seattle, he bought inexpensive frozen Salisbury steaks, would cook them, make a sandwich with the paddy and throw away the rest of the meal.  Also, about Randy, I told him about my egg cooker that steams eggs in the microwave and that is when he started steaming his eggs too.

http://r2j1cp@gmail.com

bethk

bethk
Admin

OK, so it took me a good two hours to deal with the pork I bought yesterday but it's now all in cooking sizes and wrapped and stashed in the freezer for a later date ~ sure am glad I cleared stuff out........just to fill it up again!  Sometimes I drive me crazy......

The pork tenderloins were really not bad at all ~ very little silver skin that needed to be removed and virtually no fat chunks for a change.  I had one that was 'butchered' rather strangely ~ split right down the middle.  So I marked it 'to stuff' when I wrapped it so I remember to follow Lore's lead when I cook it.  I always trim off the uneven ends to cut into bite size pieces to use for sweet & sour pork.

The baby back ribs I got are nice and meaty looking ~ two in the package so I cut each rack in two and now I have 4 meals of ribs for the two of us.  If we're going to have company all I have to do is thaw out two....and by cutting them it's easier to find places to store them in the freezer.

The pork shoulder roast I bought got cut into chunks to braise low & slow with the soy sauce/brown sugar/chicken stock that I made last week ~ it was really good.  I have 2 good size packs ready for whenever I decide to make it again.

Oh, and I did get all the rotisserie scraps put into a pot to make a pot of stock. That's something I always love to have on hand ~ never know when someone will need some 'real' chicken soup to recover from a cold.

I decided to keep one of the pork tenderloins out for tonight's supper.  Not sure what I'll have along with it but I'm sure I'll come up with a complete meal.

bethk

bethk
Admin

UNCLE JIMMY wrote:
Mom bought an Amana Radar Range Microwave oven with all the bells and whistles. It cost ( I think ) around $789.00 , and boy oh boy, it was huge and heavy.  No Now, the microwaves are bought as throwaways.
We must have gone through 8 or 9 microwaves during our time.
We only use it for heating meals, or for popcorn. Never to cook anything. [/size]

After my dad passed away my mom bought me an Amana Radar Range Microwave....I think it was closer to $1,000 ~ and HUGE! I remember I went to Radar Range CLASSES to learn how to cook in it. I can remember the girls wanting me to cook bacon for their breakfasts because it was done in like 3 minutes, and no grease because you cooked it in paper towels.

I still use my microwave to cook rice ~ always cooks just right and no burned pans to deal with.

bethk

bethk
Admin

I finally came up with the meal plan for tonight.

As I said, I kept out one of the pork tenderloins that I prepped for the freezer this morning. That will get seasoned & seared in my little cast iron skillet and finished in the oven for a few minutes. I suddenly got a 'hankering' for some scalloped potatoes but didn't want to go to all the bother of slicing and layering and baking for an hour ~ so I did a 'faux' scalloped potato ~ started a chopped onion in butter in a sauce pan and cubed up a couple potatoes, added them to get them warmed in the hot pan with the onions. Then I poured on some half & half and just let it very slowly simmer. I'll transfer them to a small casserole dish when the tenderloin goes into the oven just to finish them off.

I also fried a couple apples to go with my pork. Dane doesn't care for the fried apples but I LIKE fruit with pork ~ so we'll both be happy.

I'll probably just simmer up some frozen mixed vegetables to finish off the meal.....

bethk

bethk
Admin

I was surprised at how much HE liked the 'faux' scalloped potatoes ~ even taking a second serving with his pork. The pork was cooked 'just right' and was super tender and just lightly seasoned. As I mentioned, HE doesn't eat the fried apples but, believe me, I had my fill!

September, 2022 ~ Who else is looking forward to the temperatures cooling a bit? - Page 5 09_25_17

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

It was manicotti that DIL made. DD made dips, and cannoli for dessert. The kids all came over for dinner.

bethk likes this post

Cookin Lore

I had my tastebuds all set to make that lamb shank that is in my freezer, and then I remembered that my son had said yesterday that he wasn't feeling well, had tested for COVID (negative) So, I asked how he was feeling today. Not good, and Lisa was also starting to feel lousy. THey just came back from Greece, so who knows what they have. Anyway, I asked if they wanted some breaded chicken cutlets and roasted potatoes and there was a resoundinG PLEASE! So, of course, the lamb will wait. Grocery store had turkey breast cutlets much cheaper than chicken so I made turkey. Gotta say, the turkey was much nicer than chicken, and that's what I'll use in future.

Kids said that the food in Greece was "underwhelming" They were in Athens and a week on Corfu. Said they did not find the lovely roasted potatoes with meals that you get here, only French fries. Really, French Fries in Greece?

No picture today!

bethk likes this post

bethk

bethk
Admin

I had my chicken stock in a pot in the refrigerator from yesterday so I could easily remove the fat from the top.  I ended up with two quarts to stash in the freezer ~ and now my freezers are officially FULL yet again.....((   sigh    ))

I did take out a jar of marinara to thaw for tonight's supper.  Aldi had squash for $.69/lb instead of the $1.69/lb price at the local WinnDixie and Publix stores.  It drives me nuts the prices for some things here.  I really thought produce would be SO much cheaper when we moved to Florida....and I was WRONG!

But I bought a spaghetti squash and I have my fingers crossed it is ripe and will not taste green & watery when I bake it off.  

Only time will tell.....

Well, it's time..........and when I cut my squash it wasn't ripe. Green. Even smells like unripe squash.

So, Plan B:

Fried Chicken Sandwiches. I think I'll have some sweet potato fries ~ HE doesn't care for them. So, he'll probably get some Crispy Crowns browned up for him.

bethk

bethk
Admin

Well this is something I haven't made in a month of Sundays! A fried chicken sandwich with lettuce, special sauce (homemade tartar sauce) on a Kaiser roll bun, fresh green beans with Penzey seasoning, Sweet Potato Fries (frozen) and the second half of the Sweet Kale Salad.

HE had Crispy Crowns with his supper.....just pan fried in a bit of oil in the little cast iron skillet.

September, 2022 ~ Who else is looking forward to the temperatures cooling a bit? - Page 5 09_26_13

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Tina made a BIG pot of chili and beans. She even made corn bread.
I ate some bread, but is from the box mix, and it was too sweet.
I mean......way way too sweet.

bethk likes this post

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 5 of 6]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum