Cooking Friends
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Cooking Friends

Friends sharing recipes, cooking techniques & menu ideas in a friendly atmosphere.

You are not connected. Please login or register

September, 2022 ~ Who else is looking forward to the temperatures cooling a bit?

5 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Go down  Message [Page 3 of 6]

NormM

NormM

Charlie asked for one last cookout of the year with his friends.  He wanted Korean food. i made pork and beef bulgogi. I was going to make Kalbi with the ribs but ran out of some ingredients so I made Kansas ribs instead.  Sides were baked beans, coleslaw, potato salad, rice, and store bought four bean salad.
[
September, 2022 ~ Who else is looking forward to the temperatures cooling a bit? - Page 3 Image-14
url=https://servimg.com/view/18545675/1098]September, 2022 ~ Who else is looking forward to the temperatures cooling a bit? - Page 3 Image-13[/url]
September, 2022 ~ Who else is looking forward to the temperatures cooling a bit? - Page 3 Image-12
September, 2022 ~ Who else is looking forward to the temperatures cooling a bit? - Page 3 Image15

bethk and UNCLE JIMMY like this post

http://r2j1cp@gmail.com

bethk

bethk
Admin

WOW, Norm. You're like Charlie's Genie ~ ~ He has a wish and YOU make it happen! It all looks amazing!

Salad supper for me ~ and Dane seemed to like it, too!

September, 2022 ~ Who else is looking forward to the temperatures cooling a bit? - Page 3 09_11_15

NormM and UNCLE JIMMY like this post

bethk

bethk
Admin

From Lore:

"Dinner Tonight. Delicata squash, meatloaf, tomato, onions cucumber slices with a bit of feta!"

September, 2022 ~ Who else is looking forward to the temperatures cooling a bit? - Page 3 09_11_16

"And some flowers, just for fun. Lillies from a farm stand near where I live."

September, 2022 ~ Who else is looking forward to the temperatures cooling a bit? - Page 3 09_11_17

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Cooked Minestra greens tonight. I'm using Romaine lettuce so it's easy on Tina's stomach.
Pound cake for dessert.

bethk likes this post

bethk

bethk
Admin

I'm playing with a Shrimp Florentine dish for tonight's supper. It took me forever to come up with the idea to get some shrimp out and clean them.

Then I remembered the two bags of baby spinach I picked up (BOGO) so I'll use one bag tonight with the shrimp.....maybe season with a bit of lemon juice (thawing some that I froze from our lemon tree last winter) and maybe shallot, white wine and heavy cream.

Then I was looking over recipes on line and saw one with a creamy spinach & shrimp on top of zoodles (zucchini noodles) and thought that sounded perfect ~ I'll make my usual vegetable spaghetti with yellow & green squash and some julienned carrots (gotta have that color!).

I'm happy to finally have a plan in my head.

UNCLE JIMMY likes this post

Cookin Lore

My plan for tonight, leftovers. Made a very small meatloaf last night (basically the recipe that someone posted here from Norm) So that leftover, and I have some lentil salad also leftover, will make a fresh salad to go along. Then, no more leftovers in my fridge or freezer.

bethk

bethk
Admin

Boy, I just LOVE when a meal comes out just as I have it pictured in my head.....

Shrimp Florentine over Zoodles (aka: Vegetable Spaghetti)

The meal got done with both parts being cooked in different pans.  I think the timing is the most difficult part of a meal like this.

I started the vegetable spaghetti with the carrots & onion started in olive oil first.  They take longer to get tender than the zucchini.  At the same time I started to saute the cleaned shrimp in another skillet in olive oil, seasoned with a bit of my Cajun seasoning....when they were 'curled' I removed them to wait until the sauce was complete.  Meantime, I added the yellow & green zucchini to the carrots & onions and added salt and put on a lid to let the vegetables come to temperature and steam a bit. In the same skillet the shrimp were cooked in I sauteed some chopped shallot and red pepper flakes (+salt) until soft, then added some Pinot Grigeo (white) wine & about 2 Tbsp. of lemon juice and let that reduce a bit.  Then I added the spinach in a few batches to wilt down.  Finally, I added a couple pats of butter and some heavy cream and let it come to a boil.  Then the shrimps were added in to heat through.

For plating, I put the vegetable spaghetti (zoodles) on the plates and pushed it to the outside of the plate (a trick from my man, Jacques) and added the Shrimp Florentine to the center of the plate.

Dane ate ever bite ~ and that's when I knew it was a success!

September, 2022 ~ Who else is looking forward to the temperatures cooling a bit? - Page 3 09_12_13

September, 2022 ~ Who else is looking forward to the temperatures cooling a bit? - Page 3 09_12_14

September, 2022 ~ Who else is looking forward to the temperatures cooling a bit? - Page 3 09_12_15

Last edited by bethk on Tue Sep 13, 2022 10:54 am; edited 1 time in total

NormM and UNCLE JIMMY like this post

JanaAZ

Still trying to make some new items so I don’t get sick of cooking. This was pork and mangoes over rice noodles, pickled cucumbers, red onions and scallions. While we enjoyed it, I don’t think this will make another appearance anytime soon

September, 2022 ~ Who else is looking forward to the temperatures cooling a bit? - Page 3 53bb2e10

bethk, NormM and UNCLE JIMMY like this post

bethk

bethk
Admin

I just took a couple small chicken breasts out of the freezer to thaw. I have two heads of a 3-head package of romaine lettuce and it always makes me mad when I forget about it and end up tossing some because I don't know what to do with it soon enough (Dane prefers iceburg lettuce for his salads).

So, I decided to make some chicken lettuce wraps for supper. I guess I'm going to 'wing-it' because I'm thinking of using some sauce I already have made that should be used. And then I thought maybe the sauced chicken topped with some spicy pickled vegetables might be just the thing to add some ZIP to my meal.

So, here I go again ~ trying a meal that sounds good to me in my head......now to see if it tastes good enough for supper.

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

I'm thinking of grilled cheese and tomato sandwiches.

bethk likes this post

bethk

bethk
Admin

Tonight's supper, although not really 'pretty' in pictures, was good and we both enjoyed our meals. The pickled vegetables ~ carrots, cucumber, onion & radishes ~ were a crisp addition to the Soy 'almost teriayki' chicken. The romaine lettuce was a sturdy vehicle to get the meal wrapped up and into our mouth!

LOL

September, 2022 ~ Who else is looking forward to the temperatures cooling a bit? - Page 3 09_13_14

September, 2022 ~ Who else is looking forward to the temperatures cooling a bit? - Page 3 09_13_15

bethk

bethk
Admin

This morning's foray into the freezer to play "I SPY!!!" determined we'd be having knockwurst for supper. I don't have any of the 'Jimmy's Greek Coney Sauce' left so they won't be in hot dog mode. But I do have a small (8 oz.) can of Silver Floss Sauerkraut in the pantry.

Knockwurst and Sauerkraut......

My small can of sauerkraut will get some added sliced fresh green cabbage, a bit of thinly sliced onion and half a grated apple, baked for half an hour or longer (most likely an hour.....) with the knockwurst nestled on top. We'll have it with some simple boiled potatoes.

When I was in the freezer I saw a package of discos (the empanada wrappers) so I put them into the refrigerator to thaw by tomorrow......along with a 1# package of ground chuck that I'll use to make Cuban Picadillo to stuff the empanadas with.

So ~ this morning I came up with an idea for tonight's supper AND tomorrow's! Woo Hoo!

bethk

bethk
Admin

Supper was pretty tasty.....something we haven't had in a long while and seemed to just 'hit-the-spot' tonight.

September, 2022 ~ Who else is looking forward to the temperatures cooling a bit? - Page 3 09_14_14

Cookin Lore

I made a really, really good rabbit, gravy, roasted potatoes which were a lovely golden brown, red cabbage, and carrots with a honey mustard glaze, sliced yellow heirloom tomato and cucumber with parsley and feta............................................................. AND FORGOT TO TAKE A PICTURE!

So just imagine it, it was very pretty and 90 year old uncle and my neighbour said it was all fantastic! LOL

bethk

bethk
Admin

Cookin Lore wrote:I made a really, really good rabbit, gravy, roasted potatoes which were a lovely golden brown, red cabbage, and carrots with a honey mustard glaze, sliced yellow heirloom tomato and  cucumber with parsley and feta............................................................. AND FORGOT TO TAKE A PICTURE!

So just imagine it, it was very pretty and 90 year old uncle and my neighbour said it was all fantastic! LOL

I'm sure your meal was fantastic!

Same thing with not taking a picture happens to me ~ just too much going on at once and all of a sudden you realize all you're left with is a dirty dinner plate.....

LOL

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

I had a pickle pimento sandwich for supper. Tina had a turkey and mashed potatoes ewith gravy from the Tic Tock diner in Easton, PA. She and her friend were out shopping at Sams Club for stuff we were getting low on; before prices go up even further.
She picked up one of Sams Club rotisserie chickens but that will be for tomorrow.
I wont eat it; so she and DD can knock themselves out eating it.

bethk likes this post

Cookin Lore

bethk wrote:
Cookin Lore wrote:I made a really, really good rabbit, gravy, roasted potatoes which were a lovely golden brown, red cabbage, and carrots with a honey mustard glaze, sliced yellow heirloom tomato and  cucumber with parsley and feta............................................................. AND FORGOT TO TAKE A PICTURE!

I'm sure your meal was fantastic!

Same thing with not taking a picture happens to me ~ just too much going on at once and all of a sudden you realize all you're left with is a dirty dinner plate.....

LOL

Thanks, yes, both guests were happy, enough food for uncle Ernie to take home for today. This was the first time since COVID hit that I made a real nice dinner for company. But there will be others for pictures. I'm happy to say that I have not forgotten how to make the rabbit! LOL

bethk

bethk
Admin

I made picadillo this morning and let it cool down in the refrigerator.

I just got done filling the discos for empanadas for supper tonight.  I'll have 6 frozen for another time and four tonight.  I'm thinking of just making a salad as a side and calling it a meal.....

We'll see if I add anything else (IF I had some ripe avocados I'd have some guacamole......but I don't so that's a moot point......).

When I mentioned to Dane something about guacamole ~ he said, "We ALWAYS have guacamole with empanadas....." I don't remember that being true, but I took a ride up to the Winn Dixie and they DID have a few ripe avocados.....

So, we'll have empanadas WITH guacamole & chips.

bethk

bethk
Admin

As he sat in front of his empty plate he said, "Well, THAT wasn't any good....."

(I knew he was just kidding around with me......)

The Cuban Picadillo Empanadas were very tasty and the guacamole was the perfect side. I'm glad I went after some ripe avocados at the last minute.

September, 2022 ~ Who else is looking forward to the temperatures cooling a bit? - Page 3 09_15_13

September, 2022 ~ Who else is looking forward to the temperatures cooling a bit? - Page 3 09_15_14

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Pizza tonight.

Sick of trying to figure out what to make to eat. We both have stomach issues. Ho Hum!

bethk likes this post

bethk

bethk
Admin

From Lore:

"Dinner Tonight. I wasn’t particularly ambitious but had some lovely flatbread in the freezer. So, I looked in my fridge, had some shredded I think mozzarella that needed to be used, then “what else can I put on there?” I had some marinated seafood creatures, calamari, octopus and not sure what else, hot peppers, pearl onions, all in a spicy oil. Put it all on the flatbread, added a bit of cayenne and oregano/thyme and I think I invented my new favourite dinner. Baked it for about 25 minutes until cheese melted. Yumm!"

September, 2022 ~ Who else is looking forward to the temperatures cooling a bit? - Page 3 09_15_15

Cookin Lore

I surely never thought of putting marinated seafood on a flatbread, but necessity is the mother of invention, right? I was hungry and lazy!

bethk

bethk
Admin

"I SPY !!!!" turned up a small package of boneless pork shoulder (sold as 'boneless country ribs') and as they thawed I had to come up with an idea of what to do with them.

I finally decided on some Asian Braised Pork.  I cut the pork into chunks and seasoned with s&p to brown them on all sides.  Then I made a sauce to braise them with some rough grated fresh ginger root, black soy sauce, Shaoxing Chinese wine, some Sambal Oelek (garlic pepper sauce) and a bit of brown sugar.  I thinned it all out with enough chicken stock to cover the chunks of meat.

I had a bit too much of the sauce and decided to boil it to reduce it down to a sauce that I'll use to season some bok choy that I'll saute to go with some white rice.

I'm hoping it all comes out as tender and tasty and isn't a big failure......

LOL

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Tina made a big pot of chicken soup. She said it's soup again for the cooler weather.

bethk likes this post

bethk

bethk
Admin

Supper was surprisingly excellent.....it doesn't happen all that often! LOL

The braised pork was fork tender, just falling apart ~ reminded me of really good Asian Pork belly ~ the fat had melted away and the meat was just like butter. The addition of the 'bitter' bok choy stir fried with the addition of the same sauce as the pork was a nice accompaniment to the meal.

September, 2022 ~ Who else is looking forward to the temperatures cooling a bit? - Page 3 09_16_15

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 3 of 6]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum