Cooking Friends
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Cooking Friends

Friends sharing recipes, cooking techniques & menu ideas in a friendly atmosphere.

You are not connected. Please login or register

September, 2022 ~ Who else is looking forward to the temperatures cooling a bit?

5 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

Go down  Message [Page 6 of 6]

bethk

bethk
Admin

From Lore:

"Dinner Tonight. Lamb shank with chickpeas. Soooo good, and so much meat in that shank."

September, 2022 ~ Who else is looking forward to the temperatures cooling a bit? - Page 6 09_26_14

bethk and UNCLE JIMMY like this post

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Not a clue for todays meal ..... Dentist day for Tina this morning ..... I'm sure it will be something soft to eat.

bethk likes this post

bethk

bethk
Admin

Haluski for us tonight.....cabbage, onion, carrots (for a bit of color), smoked sausage and egg noodles......

One pot meal ~ easy peasey!

UNCLE JIMMY likes this post

bethk

bethk
Admin

Dane went to his sister's to help her secure things around her yard before the hurricane hits Florida. There's not that much to do ~ you just do your best to secure things that can be blown around and pray for the best outcome.

I took the golf cart to pick up some last minute items....more butter (how can I be out of butter???) and some fresh vegetables. We don't usually have a loss of power, but if we do there's bread and sliced cheese for him and peanut butter for me. I have some hard cooked eggs so I could make egg salad if I had to. I'd be better off if I just fasted for a few days.....

Tonight I put together haluski and HE had seconds...so either it was really tasty or he was starving ~ or a combination of both.

September, 2022 ~ Who else is looking forward to the temperatures cooling a bit? - Page 6 09_27_14

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

It was a Philly cheese steak from Jersey Mikes for me, and a mini sandwich of cheese and turkey for Tina....

bethk likes this post

Cookin Lore

Got a rainbow trout fillet out of the freezer for tonight. Not sure yet what will go with it.

Good friend is in Florida right now. His daughter wanted to give her dad a trip down memory lane for his 85th b-day yesterday. Harry and his late wife, my best friend Karin, went to the Tampa area every fall for 35 + years. This was maybe not the best time of year to go.
Stay safe everyone in the path of IAN!

bethk likes this post

Cookin Lore

OOOPs, double post.

bethk

bethk
Admin

From Lore:

"Dinner Rainbow trout fillet and potatoes done with really neat tool I found (Wolfgang puck) which makes these really neat curly “fries’. Wasteful in that it basically uses only a pert of the potato. But they look nice on the plate. Simple corn and peas to go along. Yumm!"

September, 2022 ~ Who else is looking forward to the temperatures cooling a bit? - Page 6 09_28_15

bethk

bethk
Admin

Kitchen gadgets are FUN! As long as you didn't spend the baby's milk money on it....just have fun with it!

I wonder how it might work on something like butternut squash???

We spent the morning getting things prepped for the hurricane ~ and, fortunately for us, it looks like it's going to be pretty well south of us. But it looks like the poor folks in Fort Myers got hit head on. Prayers for all of them ~ the damages from the storm surge look horrible.

I ended up making Chicken Salad because HE refused to come up with any idea of what sounded good. I suggested a couple things and he vetoed both so I stopped giving ideas and just thawed out a chicken breast and threw together the salad......the dressing was already made so it wasn't all that much work.

September, 2022 ~ Who else is looking forward to the temperatures cooling a bit? - Page 6 09_28_16

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

I had a bologna sandwich for supper, with a side of macaroni salad.
Tina had a roast chicken; mashed potatoes, gravy, and stuffing.
There were no really crispy chicken parts, so that left me to NOT eat that.

Cookin Lore

[quote="bethk"]From Lore:

"Dinner Rainbow trout fillet and potatoes done with really neat tool I found (Wolfgang puck) which makes these really neat curly “fries’. Wasteful in that it basically uses only a pert of the potato. But they look nice on the plate. Simple corn and peas to go along. Yumm!"

September, 2022 ~ Who else is looking forward to the temperatures cooling a bit? - Page 6 09_28_15
[/quote

Didn't spend much money on it at all. It is in a case of 12 Wolfgang puck kitchen gadgets that were on sale at the thrift shop. Some unusual items, mostly items that I already have, but I bought the whole thing to send to my "pretend granddaughter" My sister's granddaughter. She just moved, is basically learning to cook, and these items are a quality that she would never buy on her own. Cost for all of them was $20.00 for me. Most of the twelve, in a kitchen store would probably in the 5$ range.

Will send two separate pictures, one of the gadget, and the other of the directions of using. It's really neat. Very good quality, and works well once I figured it out!

bethk

bethk
Admin

From Lore:

"Thing to make interesting curly fries. I did two regular potatoes and a portion of a sweet. It would not work on a squash like a butternut in the part where there are no seeds. Fun to do occasionally. If I find it on its own somewhere, I will buy it, but this is going to Chrissy. All of these items are in a zippered case."

September, 2022 ~ Who else is looking forward to the temperatures cooling a bit? - Page 6 09_28_17

September, 2022 ~ Who else is looking forward to the temperatures cooling a bit? - Page 6 09_28_18

bethk

bethk
Admin

The Villages, FL dodged a bullet with Hurricane Ivan.....it stayed way south of us. I feel sorry for those who were hit with the brunt of the storm in the Fort Myers area. I think the recovery is going to be a long time.

We're still having a bit of sprinkle ~ winds never got terrible (have had worse during regular summer thunder storms) but HE hasn't been able to play golf. He looks so pathetic.....two days, probably 4 before he can get back to an open course. It's an awful thing to witness....... LOL

Tonight I'm going to make that Asian Braised Pork again ~ neighbor Jim is coming. We'll see if he likes it. I think I'll just make white rice and maybe some of the pickled vegetables. I have a little bit of bok choy in the vegetable drawer, but I doubt Jim will try that. It's green and he doesn't eat green (except, maybe, green beans).

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Big pot of beef veggie soup with tortellini that Tina made this morning.

bethk likes this post

bethk

bethk
Admin

The braised pork chunks came out really tasty and fall-apart tender. I had reserved some of the braising liquid I had made to boil down to a finishing sauce and that worked out nicely. I served the pork over white rice and made pickled vegetables over shredded cabbage, all dressed in a very light rice vinegar dressing.

And, like Lore, I got busy serving and talking and FORGOT TO TAKE A PICTURE.....which I didn't realize until I was clearing the table and noticed my phone sitting next to my place.....

But, you've seen it all before so just picture it in your minds.......

LOL

NormM

NormM

I made a pot roast dinner with bread today.The weird lines in the gravy are a reflection of new lights Charlie put in over the dinning table. September, 2022 ~ Who else is looking forward to the temperatures cooling a bit? - Page 6 Image-17
September, 2022 ~ Who else is looking forward to the temperatures cooling a bit? - Page 6 Image-16

http://r2j1cp@gmail.com

bethk

bethk
Admin

Must be getting cooler for you, Norm.....that's the perfect fall supper!

NormM and UNCLE JIMMY like this post

Cookin Lore

NormM wrote:I made a pot roast dinner with bread today.The weird lines in the gravy are a reflection of new lights Charlie put in over the dinning table. September, 2022 ~ Who else is looking forward to the temperatures cooling a bit? - Page 6 Image-17
September, 2022 ~ Who else is looking forward to the temperatures cooling a bit? - Page 6 Image-16

Yes, absolutely a great fall dinner. I am particularly interested in the bread. Recipe, please??????

NormM and UNCLE JIMMY like this post

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Supper is cooking. Pork tenderloin slices braising in onions....In the electric skillet.
Apple sauce to compliment that.

bethk likes this post

bethk

bethk
Admin

I asked HIM to come up with an idea for me to cook for supper.

HE was clueless......said he had no ideas.

So, I went to the freezer. I saw a small casserole with chicken enchilada for one ~ I took that out to thaw for HIM. I'll have the leftover haluski. That's one out of the freezer and one out of the refrigerator. Win-Win !

I never imagined when I got married in 1969 I would be responsible for coming up with an idea for supper every night .......... for the rest of my life ........... until I die.........

(( sigh ))

NormM

NormM

Cookin Lore wrote:
NormM wrote:I made a pot roast dinner with bread today.The weird lines in the gravy are a reflection of new lights Charlie put in over the dinning table. September, 2022 ~ Who else is looking forward to the temperatures cooling a bit? - Page 6 Image-17

Yes, absolutely a great fall dinner.  I am particularly interested in the bread.  Recipe, please??????

The recipe is 2 1/2 cups of water, 1 Tablespoon each sugar, salt and 2 to 3 tsp.yeast. Mix all the ingredients except yeast if using instant yeast. Add the yeast to a cup of flour and mix it into the liquid. Keep adding flour until it comes together to make a soft dough, maybe 5 Cups?. Knead, form into a ball and let rise in a greased bowl until doubled, shape, rise again and bake 425. Recipe says for 25 to 30 minutes but I use a thermometer probe and cook it to 190 and it usually is done sooner.

NormM

NormM

While we were eating dinner yesterday, Charlie asked if I could make this bread with garlic and cheese. It sounded like he was describing focaccia so that is what I made. I must have had it or made it before but I can't remember for sure so I don't know if I made it as intended. I am pretty sure I used a lot more cheese.September, 2022 ~ Who else is looking forward to the temperatures cooling a bit? - Page 6 Unname16

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Just a pic to show the pork tenderloin braising. Tina cooked it because it was thawed already. NOT the kind of pork I like. It was too dry and too lean. Normally, we use pork steaks with bone in.I thought it was pork jerky when I took my first bite. Win some, lose some, I always say.

September, 2022 ~ Who else is looking forward to the temperatures cooling a bit? - Page 6 Img_2217

bethk likes this post

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

I STARTED A NEW THREAD FOR OCTOBER 2022.....I will see you all next month
On October.....

bethk likes this post

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 6 of 6]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum